• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

PhilGPT

Didn't try the registry edit yet. I thought I read the next version (0.9) will fix it so you won't have to edit the registry. The driver based downsampling works but I like the performance boost I get with GeDoSaTo plus the lanczos filtering.
Well, yeah... either wait for 0.9, or just do the edit :p
I believe its needed sometimes to make the Alternative Injection method work and its pretty simple to do :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Naruto Shippuden works with GeDoSaTo!

It's a little wonky, in that the in game overlay doesn't show up, but it does properly downsample and you can toggle post processing on and off. It looks like the AA toggle doesn't work, but the AA does get applied.

Another small issue, since the game launches through a launcher you need a real funky set up in order to get a custom post.fx file with it.

screenshot_2014_07_09_00_06_06_by_aloo81-d7pv7tv.jpg

akira28

Wait...wait wait wait.

How do I downsample 2 levels? I did not know this was a thing. And I thought I was using this right.

Still not working for me.
Yeah it didn't work for me either.
I modified the value of the AppInit_DLLs key found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows so that it looks like :
Code:
YourPathToGeDoSaTo\GeDoSaTo.dll,[B]C:\Windows\System32\D3d9.dll[/B]
And it works (using the Alternate injection method which should be enabled in the registry as well)
EDIT : almost forgot forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes needs to be set to true in the ini

I wish I understood why this needs to be done for some (rare) games... Especially considering some people listed Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition as working 'perfectly'... That's confusing as hell but oh well... I know Stalker SOC and Stalker Lost Alpha require to do the same thing. We'll probably figure it out one day : )

Who cares, MK is dead :D

Durante any chance your smaa improvements make it back to just smaa? I've had trouble getting payday 2 to work properly with Gedosato but i remember you wrote that you improved the perfomance of SMAA on your blog. the injector from sweetfx works for me but i was having trouble making sense of your smaa.fx and how to incorporate that into smaa.h.

im a third year IT student :(

Rigbaby

Neo Member
tried this as well but its still not working. resolution is selectable in options menu but its not working ingame

That is strange indeed. I'm able to see the tool overlay and it is working in game. I'm not at the home pc now but I can post my config file for GeDoSaTo and MKKE a bit later if that helps.

Update:
Here is the GeDoSaTo config I have for mkke (using default injection method)

renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

# Compatibility Settings

# Forces the constant reporting of the downsampling resolution in all applicable
# scenarios - a small selection of games needs this to show the DS resolutions
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true

And the MKKE config file

[Video]
resolution = {7680, 4320}
antialiasing = 0
blend_antialiasing = 0
anisotropy = 1
max_texture = 4096
shadow_size = 2048
brightness = 0.500000
contrast = 0.500000
gamma = 0.500000
configured = true

Dmented

Banned
Oh man, so I had a friend tell me downsampling doesn't work "since your monitor can't see it". Weird thing is he understood somewhat how AA works but not how this works. Kept going on and on about "your monitor only does 2K and can't see 4K... know what can see 4K? A 4K monitor." lol.

Worst of it, he calls me an idiot and I "don't read" and "follow trends blindly". Sure. I guess Durante is an idiot for making GeDoSaTo (lol) and DICE are idiots for putting in resolution scaling in BF4 and everyone else who knows how it works are apparently idiots. Right.

Durante

Just send him this link.

Durante any chance your smaa improvements make it back to just smaa? I've had trouble getting payday 2 to work properly with Gedosato but i remember you wrote that you improved the perfomance of SMAA on your blog. the injector from sweetfx works for me but i was having trouble making sense of your smaa.fx and how to incorporate that into smaa.h.
I didn't improve SMAA performance, I improved the SMAA performance in GeDoSaTo. I did that by upgrading to the latest official SMAA version and enabling stencil masking. Hopefully other injectors already do both of that!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does the latest version also have the DS2 fix ? Or do I need to get the ds2 Alpha edition as well?

Newboi

I'm loving the new 0.8 release of Gedosato. The only thing I'm wondering now is why Dark Souls 2 has such incredibly massive framerate drops when Downsampling through Gedosato in the absolutely oddest locations (like by the second bonfire in Black Gulch). Even when downsampling with a lower resolution like 2560x1440, I get the same framerate drop in the same locations. I'm running dual GTX 670s in SLI.

Anyway, fantastic work as usual Durante! I'm going to try using this on Kingdoms of Amalur next. I've been using Driver based downsampling from 3200x1800 and it looks rediculously good. I can't wait to see how it looks downsampling from that res using Lanczos downsampling through Gedosato.

Haroon

Naruto Shippuden works with GeDoSaTo!

It's a little wonky, in that the in game overlay doesn't show up, but it does properly downsample and you can toggle post processing on and off. It looks like the AA toggle doesn't work, but the AA does get applied.

Another small issue, since the game launches through a launcher you need a real funky set up in order to get a custom post.fx file with it.

screenshot_2014_07_09_00_06_06_by_aloo81-d7pv7tv.jpg

Please provide steps to do it. I would like to play the game at a higher resolution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Please provide steps to do it. I would like to play the game at a higher resolution.

If you just add the game and launcher to the whitelist, or use the blacklist option downsampling should be totally fine and pretty typical using the general GeDoSaTo.ini. I was just pointing out it gets weird once you're trying to use custom game specific configs/post.fx files.

Haroon

If you just add the game and launcher to the whitelist, or use the blacklist option downsampling should be totally fine and pretty typical using the general GeDoSaTo.ini. I was just pointing out it gets weird once you're trying to use custom game specific configs/post.fx files.

Alright, thank you.

ToD_

Something looks wrong with that SFIV screenshot. As if the game is being upscaled or something... or maybe it's the JPG compression?

Yup you're right, that's a heavily compressed jpg but even without it the rendering doesn't look quite good, probably because the resolution is too high or something I don't know. I don't care : It's definitely not worth GeDoSato'ing for SSFIV anyway

There is something weird with SFIV. For some reason when you select any resolution above 1920x1080 it simply gets upscaled. Even a common resolution like 2560x1440, which is the native resolution of my screen. Anyone know of a way to remove this limitation?

I find it pretty annoying to play this game at less than even just the native resolution of my display. This is an issue with SFIV and SSFIV. I'm a little concerned this will persist with Ultra SSFIV.

Silent Hill 2 6720x4200 :

Plus a shit-ton of postprocessing, probably too much. It was so annoying getting it to work using ENB d3d8 -> d3d9 convertor and hex-editing the exe to run it at 6720x4200.
I'm not positive but I don't think the PC version looks better than the ps2 one emulated with pcsx2. I'd say go for pcsx2. It is much less trouble and smoother overall

EDIT :

- Download Squizzy Repatcher and replace your sh2pc.exe with the one provided in the archive
- Open sh2pc.exe with your favorite hex editor. Search for 80020000E001 and replace it with the resolution values you'll get converted from this chart. (Alternatively you can calculate the hex value yourself). Save
- Download ENB dx8-> dx9 converter and drop it into the game bin folder
- Configure GeDoSato : here is my .ini file as a reference. Of course you're going to adapt it so that both the renderWidth and renderHeight values match the resolution you "hacked" into the game executable earlier

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Plus a shit-ton of postprocessing, probably too much. It was so annoying getting it to work using ENB d3d8 -> d3d9 convertor and hex-editing the exe to run it at 6720x4200.
I'm not positive but I don't think the PC version looks better than the ps2 one emulated with pcsx2. I'd say go for pcsx2. It is much less trouble and smoother overall

(I can post the instructions of course if anyone is interested anyway)

Why even ask? Post them! :)

I mean, if I'll ever buy the game (always been on my wishlist) I'd like to play it with all the bells and whistles avaiable.

And and emulating the PS2 versions brings all sorts of bugs.

BONKERS

There is something weird with SFIV. For some reason when you select any resolution above 1920x1080 it simply gets upscaled. Even a common resolution like 2560x1440, which is the native resolution of my screen. Anyone know of a way to remove this limitation?

I find it pretty annoying to play this game at less than even just the native resolution of my display. This is an issue with SFIV and SSFIV. I'm a little concerned this will persist with Ultra SSFIV.

Does it do this only with GeDoSaTo? Using the SFIV benchmark , the game can run at 3200x1800 just fine for me .... on second look at the screenshot, something definitely looks a little off.

It looked absolutely fine in motion,but maybe that's because it was moving so fast at over 150FPS

Maybe it's just because was only using 2xMSAA.

Using 8xSGSSAA @ 1080p produces a pretty good result if you can live with some upscaling (You have to set inspector to enhance with 8xQ+8xSGSSAA+Auto LOD and then enable 8xAA in game)

molnizzle

how is this with the original darksiders

You should check the compatibility list. It's linked on the first post.

But yes, it works. You need to use other applications to actually set the resolution, but once that's done it seems to work great.

Downsampling sucks for the original Darksiders, actually. I just struggled with it for several hours. Unlike every other UI element in the game, the aiming reticle scales according to resolution rather than aspect ratio. This means that your reticle will be extremely small while downsampling — but sensitivity will be exactly the same. Meaning it will take you ages you drag the cursor around the screen (assuming you are playing with a controller). The first boss was basically impossible for me at 2880x1620.

I've since switched to native 1080p with 2x SGSSAA + injected SMAA. Aiming is still worse than when playing at the game's "intended" resolution of 720p, but it's not nearly as bad as it is when using high downsampling resolutions.

BONKERS

Downsampling sucks for the original Darksiders, actually. I just struggled with it for several hours. Unlike every other UI element in the game, the aiming reticle scales according to resolution rather than aspect ratio. This means that your reticle will be extremely small while downsampling — but sensitivity will be exactly the same. Meaning it will take you ages you drag the cursor around the screen (assuming you are playing with a controller). The first boss was basically impossible for me at 2880x1620.

I've since switched to native 1080p with 2x SGSSAA + injected SMAA. Aiming is still worse than when playing at the game's "intended" resolution of 720p, but it's not nearly as bad as it is when using high downsampling resolutions.

Scales it even at 1080p eh? I hate when games do this.

Good to know though, times like this is a good reason to have a 768p TV around as well.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Could be. That was using the Ink shader. Perhaps I should've disabled that.

Even with the Ink shader off using 4x or 8x SGSSAA creates a really nasty looking orange outline around the characters, which is why I want to compare AA results with upcoming build GeDoSaTo.

Silent Hill 2 6720x4200

That just made my day ;) Thanks for getting SH2 working, I would definitely like the instructions when you have a chance.

BONKERS

Even with the Ink shader off using 4x or 8x SGSSAA creates a really nasty looking orange outline around the characters, which is why I want to compare AA results with upcoming build GeDoSaTo.

That just made my day ;) Thanks for getting SH2 working, I would definitely like the instructions when you have a chance.

Screens? Inspector settings? Not seeing this at all in the benchmark.

Parsnip

That's unfortunate. I played through it on xbox back when it came out, and I'm completely blanking out on this aiming reticule thing. I mean, I don't remember any aiming at all in that game.

peronmls

I wonder if downscaling is better than the internal resolution option with SH3.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
Screens? Inspector settings? Not seeing this at all in the benchmark.

I can take a few when and post the Inspector settings when I get home. For now I would recommend going into versus mode and running a match with Dhalsim vs Sagat with 8x sgssaa ( construction level is the best example I can think of).

In the shot you posted, if you look at Ryu's feet and the along the outline of his Gi you'll see what I was referring to.

BONKERS

I can take a few when and post the Inspector settings when I get home. For now I would recommend going into versus mode and running a match with Dhalsim vs Sagat with 8x sgssaa ( construction level is the best example I can think of).

In the shot you posted, if you look at Ryu's feet and the along the outline of his Gi you'll see what I was referring to.

You sure about that?
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83033/picture:1

No difference here other than the reduction of aliasing and the blur (Which I need to check if a LOD adjustment fixes. Just because forcing 8xSGSSAA with 0x000000C1 isn't blurry but misses a ton of aliasing. But enhancing gets everything properly, but has a bit much blur even by my standards. Probably should find a better flag if possible| After checking, LoD adjustments don't seem to work when enhancing with the benchmark)

Maybe if anything it's just more apparent, because it exists there as far as I can see in the first place.

Edit: You can override 8xSGSSAA with 0x000012C1 (Don't use the AA Fix) without the blur. But it costs more performance than enhancing.

Don't know how much any of this applies to the updated newer versions of the game.

HRose

Banned
I wrote a few days ago a couple of comments on Durante's blog, but they seem stuck in moderation. So I'll copy one here and maybe he can address it:

--
I’ve done a few tests.

First I tried Bioshock, but nope, I forgot it’s DX9 only, and Bioshock is DX11.

Then I tried Borderlands. The upsampling already works. But in forced windowed mode it crashes, and if I upsample 1280×720 to 1280×1080 it works, but obviously it stretches the image to fit.

So here are the questions:

- Any hope for DX11 mode eventually? There already so many DX11 titles, it’s sad that this can’t be used universally…

- Is it possible to add an option that handles the aspect ratio of the resize? I guess this should be fairly simple since it’s just about scaling to a different format, but maybe it’s more complex because scaled output = actual screen resolution. So what I’m asking is to have some sort of third step:

1- The native internal game resolution
2- The image format the internal resolution is scaled to
3- The display resolution

That way I could have:

1- Game internally set at 1920×1080 16:9
2- Game scaled to 1280×720 16:9
3- Then presented to a 1280×1080 4:3

So that I could retain the 16:9 with the 4:3 display.

Is this possible?

Wulfegang

Will this work with The Wolf Among Us? I kinda wanna try it out. lol Not sure if it'll screw up with the game prompts though.

I was able to get it to work with "The Wolf Among Us" but can't recall right off hand if I had problems with the prompts. I added "TheWolfAmongUs" to the Whitelist and used the default injector and configuration. Let me try it real quick and I will let you know.

Wulfegang

Will this work with The Wolf Among Us? I kinda wanna try it out. lol Not sure if it'll screw up with the game prompts though.

I created a separate config file, was able to run the game at 5120x2880, and everything worked fine but I had to use a 360 controller. I tried multiple settings in the mouse settings at the bottom of the INI file but none seemed to work. You may try some more settings if you don't have a controller to use but that was the only way I could get it to work. Good luck and hope you get it work.

Down downsampling from 16:10 resolutions have weird issues in Divinity for anyone else? Going from 2560x1600 or 2880x1800 causes it to have black bars even though the game recognizes it as a 16:10 resolution in the menu.

Soi-Fong

I created a separate config file, was able to run the game at 5120x2880, and everything worked fine but I had to use a 360 controller. I tried multiple settings in the mouse settings at the bottom of the INI file but none seemed to work. You may try some more settings if you don't have a controller to use but that was the only way I could get it to work. Good luck and hope you get it work.

Cheers. Was able to make this work. Game looks real good.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

yea fuck timat was a bitch and i was like wtf dont remmeber aiming that slow to target her with bombs

Sami+

Ran into a problem today - tried playing Wolf Among Us at 4K, but selecting the option in the graphics settings resulted in a black screen. Has this happened to anyone?

Wulfegang

Ran into a problem today - tried playing Wolf Among Us at 4K, but selecting the option in the graphics settings resulted in a black screen. Has this happened to anyone?

Did you try turning in game Anti-aliasing off? I think I had that problem as well until I turned that setting off. Hope that works.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Betrayer works with Beta8. Default injection. (Edit: Forgot to mention, mouse movement at start/menu screen, and when bringing up the menu while ingame, is minimized to a small square at upper left hand corner, have to use keyboard to navigate. It works fine otherwise.)

The game also comes with a basic but functional built-in contrast and color calibration tool.

Default contrast, 100% saturation (harsh)
14633132034_688d341fed_o.jpg

Quick adjustment (dull)
14612266796_51dd138477_o.jpg

Black and White comparison:

Default: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5555/14448488888_3bf0ed588b_o.jpg

Eyeball calibration: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14634657612_4a8f0aa839_o.jpg

Top Bottom