• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley hyping this years E3 as the Best One Ever!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'll never get the love for Crash Bandicoot, when I first played it back in the day it looked so primitive next to Mario 64.

Mailbox

they're all too much. i think it hurts the medium actually. for decades now we've been trying to shake off that "man child" stigma from gaming.. i had to argue with my mom about gaming for years that gaming wasn't just a "kids thing" and actually viable entertainment and a hobby for all ages. it wasn't until she got addicted to candy crush that she stopped with the jabs....

then we see these full grown adults go and act like 10 year olds opening up a christmas present. it's embarrassing.

XJKSGfo.jpg

Every medium has excitement, intensity, and love behind it. Some people love specific parts of a medium or love some property with all their might. In media, its perfectly acceptable to love and get excited when the dream you have been having for a decade actually happens.

the FF7R reveal was something that no one expected to ever happen. It was constantly shot down and trolled upon. Ever since the tech demo in 06 the idea of a remake has basically been ingrained into gaming culture. Of course people would be excited when a game they loved is being remade for the modern era.

You say that games as a medium needs to be less treated as a child's toy. I agree with that statement, but I think you misunderstand what that entails and more importantly why that is the way it is. The stigma comes from decades of marketing, news casting, and Nintendo bringing consoles to the "toys" section of the store with the NES. All media has love and excitement. To wish for less is to be like a child wanting to grow up and so acts all gruff and tough without knowing that being an adult can be happy and exciting and even silly. How Huber and everyone there acted was proof to me that they genuinely loved the medium they were a part of. If you believe that is embarrassing, by all means go look at the Giant Bomb stream from the same day.

Media requires excitement and dreams, or media dies.
(And to add, Someone being so happy that they end up in tears isn't childish or embarrassing to see. Its passion.)

I'll never get the love for Crash Bandicoot, when I first played it back in the day it looked so primitive next to Mario 64.

Primitive is such a weird word to use...
You may need to replay it if that's what you still think...

Ramenman

Hahahahaha.

It's not a traditional e3 if you don't get a hype-generating Keighley tweet, then people saying "twitter is ruining e3" or "too much pre-announcements", then finally people disappointed after e3 saying "is this e3 the worst in years??" or "is e3 irrelevant ???" and "F*** YOU GEOFF KEIGHLEY".

Guys.

they're all too much. i think it hurts the medium actually. for decades now we've been trying to shake off that "man child" stigma from gaming.. i had to argue with my mom about gaming for years that gaming wasn't just a "kids thing" and actually viable entertainment and a hobby for all ages. it wasn't until she got addicted to candy crush that she stopped with the jabs....

then we see these full grown adults go and act like 10 year olds opening up a christmas present. it's embarrassing.
I apologize but the bolded made me giggle.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Primitive is such a weird word to use...
You may need to replay it if that's what you still think...

Back then that is exactly what Mario 64 did, it made everything else look primitive by comparison. All of a sudden running in a straight line wasn't appealing anymore.

ajim

"You maniacs! What are you doing?! Midgar looks exactly like that!"

Loved it. Great moments for both FF7 and the Shenmue reveal. Hope Keighley is right about this year but man it's going to be tough.
I'd love to see something top these moments.

I go back and watch those reveals sometimes and get goose bumps. This is why I'm a gamer. Shit is awesome.

Beautiful beautiful stuff. <3

sora87

i like to get hyped and all but this is kind over the top. I'm a bit embarrassed for them.

Don't feel embarrassed for them, they're having fun, there's a reason why Huber reacted that way to Shenmue 3, he's been waiting for it for 14 years.

Seriously, you nofunallowed.jpg people are what I find embarrassing.

Somnia

Geoff just tweeted out they are going to have a "HUGE" 90 minute post show after the Sony Press Conference.

That works for me! Gives me something to watch while I wait for Giantbomb's stuff....

CRAP the FFXV show is right after the Sony presser too :(

joms5

Jesus Christ. You should actually do some basic research on Geoff Keighly before spouting this nonsense.

His "The Final Hours of" series alone has earned my respect.

haha right because I bet you're the only one who's read those? I've read them. They're brilliant. How often does he do them? Hell when was the last time he did one?

Now ask yourself how many times this guy has aligned himself with famous people to try and promote his stupid shows about video games.

Make the shows for the people WHO care about them, don't make the shows TO MAKE people care about them. Big difference.

Mailbox

haha right because I bet you're the only one who's read those? I've read them. They're brilliant. How often does he do them? Hell when was the last time he did one?

Now ask yourself how many times this guy has aligned himself with famous people to try and promote his stupid shows about video games.

Make the shows for the people WHO care about them, don't make the shows TO MAKE people care about them. Big difference.

Many people in the industry see Geoff as having a truly genuine love for Video Games. The ex-staff of GT (now easy allies) have even said as much. He's also very helpful and supportive of many in the industry and in the journalistic side of things as well.

I really recommend you look into who he is more and see what others in the industry see rather than just sticking to a weirdly hateful opinion.

Also, making stuff only for people who care about games seems quite short sighted in terms of growing Gaming's outreach. Your basically asking for stagnation if you don't expand.

I've no doubt there are a few people who actually want it, but I think most of the commotion comes from people who simply think it's neat for old franchises to be revived, even if it doesn't really warrant time and money.

Yeah, people are in for the hype.
When the times come to buy the game , well ...

karasu

I get so sick of gamers being "embarrassed" by how things may look or sound to people outside gaming, or what their mom thinks or what their grandpappy thinks or whatever ridiculous generalizations they come up with. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you shouldn't allow meaningless impressions from others to dictate your behavior? If you're excited by something then be fucking excited without one goddamn ounce of shame about it. Feelings like optimism and enthusiasm are rare in this life and we should celebrate whenever we get the chance to experience them. You're being a man child by allowing your mothers once outdated views to stifle your excitement.

This gatekeeper attitude is really quite pathetic.

Spman2099

It sounds like your criticism is tied to your own personal hangups.

People are allowed to enjoy things. That doesn't hurt the medium. You are being incredibly melodramatic.

Arkain

A certain C.S. Lewis quote comes to mind.

Jombie

It's always fun to keep up with E3, but most of the reveals end up being a disappointment. There's not much for me to be excited about this year -- looking forward to Dishonored 2 and a Bioshock remaster.

Nameless

Blehh. Unless it's $40 with top tier visuals like the R&C remake a new Crash games will bomb hard. No one is really clamoring for this outside of a super vocal minority of gamers online. It'll be incredibly underwhelming if this ends up being Sony's ace announcement this year, which feels more and more likely.

What will be one of the best place to watch for live commentary as well as seeing the E3 conference full?

Giant bomb will have both commentary feed and standard feed in the Same page if you wanna switch between them. I just can't watch commentary free press conferences anymore so it's the GB feed for me all the way.

You know what rewatching these gifs make me realize there is never gonna be an E3 like that ever again. Not even HL3 can top that trifecta

That was a moment like decades in the making lol

What makes me sad about this is that last year's E3 hype was about old games coming back such as Shebmue 3 which was a Kickstarter and FF7 which will be a remake!

Don't get me wrong.. I love me some Shenmue and I was very excited!!! But it shows where the industry is right now at a stagnant period where hype comes from old games..

btrboyev

This guy hypes everything. This E3 is just going to show all of last years E3 games that have t come out which is over 60% of them. It's hard to get excited for E3 anymore when all they do is show games that are years away. It was better when E3 showed each companies 2nd have of year and big holiday lineups with just a few long term games.

I get so sick of gamers being "embarrassed" by how things may look or sound to people outside gaming, or what their mom thinks or what their grandpappy thinks or whatever ridiculous generalizations they come up with. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe you shouldn't allow meaningless impressions from others to dictate your behavior? If you're excited by something then be fucking excited without one goddamn ounce of shame about it. Feelings like optimism and enthusiasm are rare in this life and we should celebrate whenever we get the chance to experience them. You're being a man child by allowing your mothers once outdated views to stifle your excitement.

Well said.

Nothing wrong with being happy

I love the hype. It's passionate. Whether or not E3 is the best ever for you depends solely on your tastes. It's not gonna be for everyone.

The GT crew flipping over Sony's conference last year was hilarious and in great fun. It made things even more memorable IMO.

Top Bottom