• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley hyping this years E3 as the Best One Ever!

Dueck

Banned
"Dews Ex" Haha! My favorite thing in ages!

I think they're just trying keep E3 looking relevant after EA walked. If that goes well for them, nobody is going to want to pay astronomical fees to the organizers. He's basically just Poochie, but invented by Doritos/Dew instead of Krusty's committee, trying to generate excitement in spite of the laughter.

I really like Geoff - purely for his [obviously] true love for games & gaming.

But yes, it's his job to hype this stuff so I'll take this all with a full tablespoon of seaborne salt.

Nosgotham

He does sometimes maybe oversell things, although he does have a personal investment in a lot of these events so it's expected. But Geoff is a positive force in the gaming industry and he means nothing but good.

ya know most supervillans mean good too.

eloxx

Showing Mass Effect Andromeda last year was a mistake. It was on par with a single tweet in terms of what we know about it a year later. I can't believe it's releasing in half a year from now even though we know diddly about it. Either it'll have a huge showing at the EA presser or it'll be delayed.

Or both.

Now that the presser is over, what do you think? I liked what they showed for Andromeda, but it was still not enough in my opinion.

Both the MS and Sony showings have to be amazing for this to be the best E3 ever. The pre E3 this year has been very very MEH. And Nintendo....

This is one of the worst E3s I've ever seen. It's pretty bad. A couple of ok looking games, but Mass Effect was the only thing that really got me excited. Having two lame duck consoles doesn't help either.

Laieon

Based on what I've seen so far, this is one of the most underwhelming E3s I've ever seen. I've yet to see anything that has me incredibly excited to play. Zelda will change that later, but I'm a bit hesitant to say it counts since we've known about it for years now.

I want new games/series to be excited for, but nobody has delivered that for me yet.

Some Nobody

No Geoff, it was the worst this Gen so far.

You missed 2014, then.

This is one of the worst E3s I've ever seen. It's pretty bad. A couple of ok looking games, but Mass Effect was the only thing that really got me excited. Having two lame duck consoles doesn't help either.

You must've started watching last year.

This E3 wasn't the best ever but it was easily better than 2014 with a ton of high-profile games people have been looking for for ages.

I've only seen a couple games I really wanted, but not everything has to be about what I/you want.

NHale

Based on what I've seen so far, this is one of the most underwhelming E3s I've ever seen. I've yet to see anything that has me incredibly excited to play. Zelda will change that later, but I'm a bit hesitant to say it counts since we've known about it for years now.

I want new games/series to be excited for, but nobody has delivered that for me yet.

This E3 definitely lacks that defining game that makes everyone go crazy about it even if they don't end up delivering in the end. In fact E3 is all about the flash not the substance but at least it builds excitement. This E3 failed miserably at creating that imho.

Of course, some of the previous defining E3 games include Bioshock: Infinite with a complete fake demo, Evolve, Watch_Dogs, The Division, so it's not like it ends up being a fantastic game when it launches. But can we see a game generating the buzz Bioshock: Infinite did? Nothing is remotely close this year except for maybe Battlefield 1. It definitely reminds me of the "Year of the Bow" when every publisher was making tired sequels waiting as a stopgag for next gen to arrive.

What was wrong with this E3? There was a shitload of hype announcements.

I think some people are just getting old. I'm not as hyped as I have been in previous years, but that's an age thing for sure. We've been here and done this a million times, eventually it just feels meh.

cacildo

I was reading the sony presentation thread last night when it started

I read it for, i dont know, 10 minutes of the show

People seemed like it was the second coming. "The games my god the games sony already started killing it this year"

Then i went to sleep. I wake up and theres only 3-4 threads about ps4 games.... and you guys saying this e3 sucked

Tainted

What was wrong with this E3? There was a shitload of hype announcements.

I think some people are just getting old. I'm not as hyped as I have been in previous years, but that's an age thing for sure. We've been here and done this a million times, eventually it just feels meh.

I've only just finished watching the MS and Sony conferences and I have come away from it as pretty meh as well. Most of the stuff shown is just more footage of previously announced games...no 'megaton' announcements like last E3.

I just think too much info gets leaked before E3 nowadays...or the big announcements come out in the leadup to E3

I don't think its an age thing...I mean it's on;y been 12mths since last E3 and I was way more hyped from that. Its been a pretty poor E3 imo

MilkBeard

While not the best, it was pretty solid compared to some of the snoozefests we've had in the past.

There were actually a wealth of games on display. You can't say this was the worst E3.

El-Suave

Geoff wasn't wrong. Last year was a tough act to follow and both Sony and MS delivered. Ubi and Bethesda were fine as well, only EA dropped the ball a bit.

Salz01

Sony had a killer show last night. Practically saved E3 right there. All the other conferences look amatureish compared to it. Xbox was at least decent, followed by Ubisoft. EA is dead last. They need to stop having conferences and save the money.

People seemed like it was the second coming. "The games my god the games sony already started killing it this year"

Then i went to sleep. I wake up and theres only 3-4 threads about ps4 games.... and you guys saying this e3 sucked
People in the OT's are usually the fans that are invested in the brand. All the conferences were disappointing this year. Last year was amazing though, which makes it hard to live up to expectations.

Tainted

There were actually a wealth of games on display. You can't say this was the worst E3.

Your opinion of each E3 is always going to be subjective based on the type of games you like and have hype levels for.

I think Sony delaying the Neo announcement deflated alot of the hype for many (even though like the Scorpio, none of it was a surprise). People do like new hardware announcements though

MilkBeard

Your opinion of each E3 is always going to be subjective based on the type of games you like and have hype levels for.

I think Sony delaying the Neo announcement deflated alot of the hype for many (even though like the Scorpio, none of it was a surprise). People do like new hardware announcements though

Yeah but I'm just looking at it purely in terms of content shown--there have been some E3 where there was very little to show, and a lot of it was fluff. I remember watching one year before the next gen was announced--I believe it was the year with the wonderbook shit. There was hardly anything there, worth watching.

MilkBeard

It was a good E3 I think. But to be the best yet you need Nintendo in full force too imo.

If NX and Neo were present, it probably could have been the best. Although, Nintendo's reveal of the WiiU was very disappointing. I'm hoping that they can take this extra time to make it better this time around.

Well, MS and Sony had solid, but not spectacular, showings, Ubi was ... ok (too long imo), Bethesda was ok with only EA being bad ... all in all, it's a good E³.

One of the best? Nope.

And Zelda has to be the dopest thing ever to grace the landscape of videogames in order for this E³ becoming one of the best.

Mathieran

Banned
There's been lots of great stuff this year, just hard to beat last year.

I watched a little bit of the post conference coverage, and Geoff does a great job. But he says "absolutely incredible" way too much.

I can't believe this turned out to be the games industry's hype man just hyping things up. Who knew. It's almost like it's his job.

Linkyn

The conference treads are where hype levels are at their highest concentration, to that's where you tend to get a lot of hyperbole either way. Give people a few days to calm down and process everything they've seen and heard. There'll be plenty of more nuanced discussion in the coming weeks and months.

GlamFM

Banned
Geoff´s hype is one of the reasons why I think Red Dead was supposed to be there.

it´s one of his favorite games of all time.

Not sure about best ever, but there are a ton of games I want to play (Inside, Cuphead, For Honor, Dishonored 2, Horizon, Last Guardian to name but a few) and others I'm really intruiged by (God of War, Prey, Spider-Man, Mass Effect) so it's all good.

Tainted

I don't know what happened with that RDR2 announcement....was heavily rumored pre-E3 Oh well

That would have sent hype levels through the roof :)

GlamFM

Banned
I don't know what happened with that RDR2 announcement....was heavily rumored pre-E3 Oh well

That would have sent hype levels through the roof :)

Rumors flying around that the Orlando tragedy has something to do with it. Who knows.

Maybe it was never supposed to be announced.

Laieon

Rumors flying around that the Orlando tragedy has something to do with it. Who knows.

Maybe it was never supposed to be announced.

Maybe a virtual Iwata will come out at the end of the Nintendo Treehouse and announce it's an NX exclusive.

Can someone explain to me the meaning behind that tweet. What the fuck am i looking at? A giant Mountain Dew Arcade? And Geoff calls it a vatican?

He embraced the fact that he is the Dorito Pope.

hmm. Well at least he's having fun with it. Also does anyone agree with him in thinking that this was i fact the best E3 ever? I sure dont. Not to bash him or anything, but it was far from being exciting based on all the games that are not even coming out this year, and with new consoles in the near future.

hmm. Well at least he's having fun with it. Also does anyone agree with him in thinking that this was i fact the best E3 ever? I sure dont. Not to bash him or anything, but it was far from being exciting based on all the games that are not even coming out this year, and with new consoles in the near future.

This is like Vince McMahon saying next year's Wrestlemania is going to be the "best ever". Don't read too much into it. He's going to say the same thing next year. And he's never going to come out and say "gee I don't know guys this e3 is starting to look like a dud". It's his job.

Freeman76

This year was pretty rubbish, no big announcements, nothing that even made me excited for release. The one thing I was hoping for was information about a new game in the Red Dead series, even a remaster of Redemption, but there was nothing.

Microsoft needed to pull out some stops to try and cover the gap (chasm) between them and Sony, and the best they could do was GOW4 which looked like all the others but prettier, and Scalebound looking like a huge identity crisis of a game, alongside a few interesting indies which will no doubt be multiplatform.

All around a pretty crap E3

Cloud7

I don't know about the YouTube on E3 experience being great but I liked E3 this year. Sony killed it again. Microsoft was ok. Ubisoft and EA were the ones that let me down.

Top Bottom