• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
djm said:
You know that new money smell? I imagine it's similar to that.
but he would have gotten paid with just a simple Blu Ray release of the star wars movies.

Why go back and change shit over and over and over. star wars is 30+ years old and he is still making edits and tweaks. Let it be FFS.

Cleaning things up and making it look better is one thing but re editing and adding stuff is just silly.

you didnt see the beatles re releases in 09 adding extra drums or guitar bits... they just took what they had and cleaned it up. Thats all needs to be done.

Gary Whitta said:
I'm gonna try to find the Laserdiscs or the 2006 DVD versions. Fuck this shit.

Good luck finding the 2006 DVD versions. The prices on Amazon and whatnot are already insane.

I was able to find Empire and Jedi, but cannot find A New Hope.

djm

funkystudent said:
but he would have gotten paid with just a simple Blu Ray release of the star wars movies.

Why go back and change shit over and over and over. star wars is 30+ years old and he is still making edits and tweaks. Let it be FFS.

Cleaning things up and making it look better is one thing but re editing and adding stuff is just silly.

you didnt see the beatles re releases in 09 adding extra drums or guitar bits... they just took what they had and cleaned it up. Thats all needs to be done.
I agree! His constant revisions are dumb, but when he most likely makes makes millions per year off licensing fees, it's probably pretty easy to justify tinkering with stuff for no reason.

Dead Man

PhoncipleBone said:
Good luck finding the 2006 DVD versions. The prices on Amazon and whatnot are already insane.

If you are happy with used there are still some fair prices: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003CXCT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: I think that is the right box set, bloody Lucas, 3000 different editions, and different covers and boxes in some territories.

Edit2:
PhoncipleBone said:
That version is not what people want. The people want this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EN71DG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This version is the one with the original versions that are LD ports.
Crap.

womp said:
Never forget....

r7e5D.jpg

Back when (Circa 1992ish), this is what introduced me to 'widecreen' movies. Amazing box set and the best way to watch these movies, just not the best media to do it with. :/

At the time Suncoast had a separate small half a wall section of VHS movies called 'Letterbox'.

wow, george lucas like a... well... like a visionary. wtf happened to him?
valium

Anth0ny

Hmm, I might need to make a thread about "Getting the original theatrical versions of Star Wars on home video".

There is a pretty huge underground community dedicated to preserving these films in respectable quality... except they don't just talk the talk, they walk the walk. Using various sources (2006 DVDs, 2004 DVDs, HDTV rips), this is as close as we are going to get to an HD release of the films.

womp said:
It was a Christmas present for me. $125 retail at the time. Crazy. heh
Same here. I still have it, though, thinking about trying to tranfer it to DVD so it wo't degrade. Probably some stupid copy protection on it or sonething.

NekoFever

Marty Chinn said:
I've got this:

DSCF0537.JPG
My friend's got that set. It's beautiful. Frame by frame access three years before DVD even existed!

I'm a mere peasant with this version from 1995:

6tkpN.jpg

Mine has some awesome inlay art, though. Really makes me understand what vinyl fans talk about with the large art that you miss out on otherwise.

3rdman

I owned the Definitve Laserdisc version for awhile but sold it a couple of years ago...As nice as it was, it's ultimately the same as the DVD version.

I still own the 95 widescreen versions on VHS and have a copy of the Despecialized Edition of Star Wars...that, my friends, is an amazing piece of work. I highly recommend y'all watch it!

Erigu

NekoFever said:
Frame by frame access three years before DVD even existed!
Oh, god. CAV LaserDiscs. The memories.
Back in the day, we had to go and turn or swap the discs three times during a single movie, and we liked it that way!

Its funny as a week ago the OOP dvd sets of the original were going for like 40-50, and now because of this blu ray fiasco the prices have shot through the roof.

hiryu2015

I know my sibs and I still have that '95 VHS boxset around the house so we'll just have to cling to that. Plus, I asked for the '06 DVD releases with the originals a few Christmases ago--back when I saw them for $10 a piece in a mall--so I also have those.

Though poorer in quality than a completely restored blu ray (oh man i wish i could have this, especially since i just joined the hi-def world), those two copies are still better than what I grew up with: poor VHS recordings of Star Wars and Empire as they appeared on Showtime in the mid-80s. To give an example of how poor those copies were, I never saw the shot of the Falcon in hyperspace (before the asteroid field in Star Wars) because someone (probably a 2-3 yo version of myself) changed the channel during recording so we get 4-5 seconds of The Flintstones instead. Additionally, our VHS recording of Star Wars continued into Animal House, which was a good find for me as a young, impressionable lad.

Sapiens

140.85 said:

Star Wars humour is always terrible, regardless of the context. I think Star Wars fans are some of the most uncreative people I've ever been exposed to.

It's like, their entire process consists of *take something familair - make it like star wars*.

And then there is this whiney hyperbole above me. And the person that shopped that up is totally going to buy the BD set.

NekoFever

Erigu said:
Oh, god. CAV LaserDiscs. The memories.
Back in the day, we had to go and turn or swap the discs three times during a single movie, and we liked it that way!
Tell me about it. I've got Titanic on Laserdisc, as if that movie wasn't long enough.

Dead Man

Sapiens said:
Star Wars humour is always terrible, regardless of the context. I think Star Wars fans are some of the most uncreative people I've ever been exposed to.

It's like, their entire process consists of *take something familair - make it like star wars*.

And then there is this whiney hyperbole above me. And the person that shopped that up is totally going to buy the BD set.
You mean the reminiscing above you? Did you even read the post?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PhoncipleBone said:

how about buy the shitty ones for copyright purposes, then download the 2006 versions? Hypothetically.

UrbanRats

Sapiens said:
Nah, it's the picture. I'm just whining about terrible star wars jokes.
Yes, Star Wars jokes are usually lame, but honestly, the image you quoted has nothing to do with them, it's a joke about Lucas' changes, not about Star Wars per se.
And it's pretty accurate, since the only thing Lucas is doing with these changes, is adding useless CGi shit in the background to the point of distraction.

Yen

When did the first film get the IV: A New Hope subtitle? And as a result when did people know there would be a prequel trilogy?

PhoncipleBone said:
That version is not what people want. The people want this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EN71DG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This version is the one with the original versions that are LD ports.
Hmmmmm, I don't seem to recall the 2 disc DVDs ever coming in one compiled set. I bought them new when they were first released and I had to get them seperately. Here are the individual DVDs. The prices are high but they are somewhat reasonable for being out of print.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQJAIW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQJAJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQVX78/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dead Man

Yenrot said:
When did the first film get the IV: A New Hope subtitle? And as a result when did people know there would be a prequel trilogy?
Way back when:
The lines "Episode IV: A NEW HOPE" were added to the opening title crawl upon its 1981 re-release, one year after "Episode V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" was released with its full title.
From wikipedia.

Yenrot said:
The subtitle was added with the re-release in 1981. ESB had Epsiode 5 in the opening crawl a year earlier so I guess a prequel trilogy could have been implied since then.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Hmmmmm, I don't seem to recall the 2 disc DVDs ever coming in one compiled set. I bought them new when they were first released and I had to get them seperately. Here are the individual DVDs. The prices are high but they are somewhat reasonable for being out of print.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FQJAIW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQJAJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQVX78/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought them seperately as well, but I seem to recall the box set. If you bought them seperate you got a graphic novel with each one I believe, which is why I went that route.

I posted just a few days ago that those DVD's were still $10 a piece on amazon. So yeah, since then these last few days they've gone from a little under $10 to just over $30. Pretty crazy. I like that the last used price on the box set is $10,000. Grab it now folks.

FOOTE

SpikeTV is going to show the OT this weekend. Not entirely sure which versions they are, but if you can you may want to DVR them.

JB1981

BattleMonkey said:
Its funny as a week ago the OOP dvd sets of the original were going for like 40-50, and now because of this blu ray fiasco the prices have shot through the roof.
Yep all the proof you need to see that no one likes the bullshit changes this man continues to make.

JB1981

Ridley327 said:
They have been the 2004 remasters for a long time.
Last time they were the "special editions." quite honestly I don't think anyones allowed to show the originals anymore

Edit: is the blu ray release also comin to DVD? My fear is no one will restock the current DVDs and all we will be left with is the latest version of the movies ....

I don't think they are doing a DVD version, which is a small mercy when you think about it. Are there DVD versions currently still in print?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom