• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Hardware Charts

Haunted

sionyboy said:
I'm quite amazed at the sales of all 3 consoles really, given that Germany is the most populous country in Europe. I knew that us British were the largest market in Europe for consoles, but I didn't realise how much we out-bought other nations. Despite having about 22 million less people, the Wii has still sold about 3 times as much in the UK. I'm not criticising Germany or anything, if anything it just reaffirms what a bunch of couch potatoes we really are in the UK!

What is the second largest market within Europe in the console business, does anyone know?
I thought it was UK, France, Germany, Spain - in that order - but Spain's closing in on us!

We're big on PC gaming, though, so that kinda explains the small console market (proportional to the population). :p

Phife said:
After you all raped me in Strikers let me enjoy my small victory ;-p.
:)

sionyboy said:
I'm quite amazed at the sales of all 3 consoles really, given that Germany is the most populous country in Europe. I knew that us British were the largest market in Europe for consoles, but I didn't realise how much we out-bought other nations. Despite having about 22 million less people, the Wii has still sold about 3 times as much in the UK. I'm not criticising Germany or anything, if anything it just reaffirms what a bunch of couch potatoes we really are in the UK!

What is the second largest market within Europe in the console business, does anyone know?
It's like this more or less in Europe in terms of market size:

UK
Germany
France
Italy
Spain
Benelux
Scandinavia
The rest

With the first three representing more than 50% of the European market, probably more.

captain wow said:
There was a report out around the start of 06 that put france and germany around 20 and 25%. so germany i would think.

Wow, see I know the 360 has sold around 1.25 million consoles in the UK (it was at 1.19 million as of June 9th) so if Germany as the second largest market has only sold around 281,000 I can't see the European sales being 3 million, as is suggested in one of the sales threads around here.

saelz8

sionyboy said:

Germany is PC gaming land

According to a survey by Bitkom (Very recent, as in a few days ago)

- 24.5 out of 73.4 million German citizens play PC games, while 7.3M prefer console games

- In the 14-29 group, over two-thirds of all Germans plays PC games

- In the 50-plus group, 19 percent say they're gamers.

- 30 percent of German households have a gaming console; 77 percent have a PC.

- Sales of PC games and consoles this year will increase 21 percent to $2.91 billion in U.S. dollars (compared to $2.3 billion in 2006).

Source

Xzbeat

captain wow said:
There was a report out around the start of 06 that put france and germany around 20 and 25%. so germany i would think.
There were 400,000+ Wii sold in France in May. France is by far the 2nd biggest videogame market in europe. France + UK represent about 50% of the european market.

wotter

Kinan said:
I'm quite sure console wise France has much bigger market than Germany.
I'm quite sure it is. As been said before, Germany is quite the pc gaming land. I also didn't know Italy was bigger than Spain. Is everyone sure that Germany is ranked that high, seems quite fishy to me considering the fact that console sales are quite low despite being an 80 million plus populated country.

There were 400,000+ Wii sold in France in May. France is by far the 2nd biggest videogame market in europe. France + UK represent more than 50% of the european market.
That would mean that there are more than +- 600k ps3 sold in uk + france. The UK numbers are somewhere around 300k, but I don't believe for a second there are 300k PS3's in french homes though. Feel free to correct, I want to believe :).

yilmazz

Would be interesting to see how the DS is doing here.. does anyone have numbers? Also DS numbers from the UK and France would be nice.

Xzbeat said:
There were 400,000+ Wii sold in France in May. France is by far the 2nd biggest videogame market in europe. France + UK represent about 50% of the european market.

Do you mean 400,000 LTD up to the month of May? 400,000 units in one month for a country the size of France would be insane.

iidesuyo

wotter said:
I'm quite sure it is. As been said before, Germany is quite the pc gaming land. I also didn't know Italy was bigger than Spain. Is everyone sure that Germany is ranked that high, seems quite fishy to me considering the fact that console sales are quite low despite being an 80 million plus populated country.

It could be that Handheld gaming is more popular in Germany. I remember that the original Pokémon sold over 5 million copies alone.

yilmazz said:
Would be interesting to see how the DS is doing here.. does anyone have numbers? Also DS numbers from the UK and France would be nice.
I remember Nintendo reporting 1 Milllion sold DS at last years Games Convention. That does say quite nothing about the current numbers, but you can expect Nintendo to give you some fresh numbers for Germany in a few days when they are holding this PR event or whatever this is going to be.

Kenka

If you take a look at past sales threads, it is clear that DS owns everything consolewise.

I remember having seen a full top 10 composed of only DS games. half of them were casual-oriented software

X26

Banned
Luckyman said:
Low numbers. What´s wrong with the Germans?

While UK has 20M people less they buy more consoles in a week..

Because they have nothing better to do, what with the constant rain and all

Haunted

Luckyman said:
Low numbers. What´s wrong with the Germans?

While UK has 20M people less they buy more consoles in a week..
:lol at least read the thread before asking question that have already been answered numerous times. :p

yilmazz said:

DS dominates German top 10 software sales, so it is doing really well.

Kabouter

wotter said:
More than 82 million actually. And it's been said often, and I'll say it again. Germany = PC gaming country. Nobody cares about consoles.

Fritz

I think gaming is pretty unpopular in germany. I always had to defend myself and I'm quite a casual gamer. Everything related to videogames is considered über-nerdy. Right now I'm in NZ and it's totaly different. You can even tell a girl that you like games and you wont repel her, awesome.

Fritz said:
I think gaming is pretty unpopular in germany. I always had to defend myself and I'm quite a casual gamer. Everything related to videogames is considered über-nerdy. Right now I'm in NZ and it's totaly different. You can even tell a girl that you like games and you wont repel her, awesome.
Nah, I've made pretty much the opposite experience. Right now I'm in the army and there you get in contact with so many, very different people from all over the country and I'm amazed at how many of them are gamers, even if most play PC.
With my friends it's a little different, but still no discrimination against me. :p

But that's just anecdotical and I, of course, don't know any girls. So this probably means nothing.

omg rite said:
Good logic.

No wonder PS3 is doing well in America and Japan and the UK.

This thread is specifically about Germany. Nobody except the hardcore cares about Xbox 360. The most popular brand for console gaming here is Playstation, period.

In Germany gamers get treated like terrorists. Since like half of the games are banned over here, kids have to stick to downloading them on their computer or get a Wii.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Benjamin1981 said:
This thread is specifically about Germany. Nobody except the hardcore cares about Xbox 360. The most popular brand for console gaming here is Playstation, period.

Umm....if that is still true shouldn't the PS3 be doing a bit better compared to the Wii?

felipeko

Jacobi said:
Right now the PS2 is still the most popular console in Germany...
I can say the same about Brazil. But i know for sure that 2 years from now no one will be talking about Playstations anymore....

legend166

Benjamin1981 said:

Did you even look at this thread?

schuelma said:
Umm....if that is still true shouldn't the PS3 be doing a bit better compared to the Wii?

PS3 doesn't compete with the Wii. PS2 does. And PS2 is still the most popular console here. Casual gamers can get their Buzz/Singstar/Fifa/Eyetoy and they are happy.

Jokeropia

Benjamin1981 said:
PS3 doesn't compete with the Wii. PS2 does.
:lol

And actually, Wii has more of a presence in the German software sales charts than the PS2 these days. Of course, DS dominates everything.

legend166

Benjamin1981 said:
PS3 doesn't compete with the Wii. PS2 does. And PS2 is still the most popular console here. Casual gamers can get their Buzz/Singstar/Fifa/Eyetoy and they are happy.

So what does the PS3 compete with? The 360 and the Phantom?

iidesuyo

Sahasrahla said:
In Germany gamers get treated like terrorists. Since like half of the games are banned over here, kids have to stick to downloading them on their computer or get a Wii.

Only very very few games are "banned". Look for a good video/gaming store and enjoy those evil violent shooters like everyone does :D

donny2112

sionyboy said:

For the Wii, it's U.K. and France (they're about equal :eek: ), and then everybody else. I think Germany may be the next biggest for the Wii, though. It differs for the PS2, though, I believe.

Benjamin1981 said:
Ps3 will beat 360 in Germany, that's pretty much a given but to think PS3 and Wii are not competing for consumer euros is comforting for Playstation fans but not really grounded in reality.

Sahasrahla said:
:lol It's not our fault you're not 18 yet.

the-iek

Phife Dawg said:
nah, that's not the point. since a young german boy killed some people at his school (inspired by columbine), videogames were blamed for all the violence nowadays. they even wanted to put counterstrike on the index, which means you wouldn't be able to buy it until you're 18 and the stores, magazines etc weren't allowed to advertise it.

Wollan

Phife Dawg said:

150px-News-batbegins1-1.jpg

'It's your fathers.'

the-iek said:
nah, that's not the point. since a young german boy killed some people at his school (inspired by columbine), videogames were blamed for all the violence nowadays. they even wanted to put counterstrike on the index, which means you wouldn't be able to buy it until you're 18 and the stores, magazines etc weren't allowed to advertise it.
That was my whole point. You can buy these games if you're 18. The politics around the so called "killerspiele" is a different subject.

And lets be honest. Would you let your kid play a game like RE4, GoW, Prey etc.? Some games are not meant for kids. Nowadays a lot of games get a "Keine Jugendfreigabe" rating, which makes it impossible to put them on the index and most retailers do carry them so the situation for adult gamers has actually changed for the better.

Xater

Interesting. The PS3 sold about a third or the Xbox 360 total sales despite the high price and it was just released in March.

For Germany that's pretty impressive actually. Oh and nothing can compete with the DS or Wii. We all know Nintendo ruined this generation for everyone ;)

Phife Dawg said:
And lets be honest. Would you let your kid play a game like RE4, GoW, Prey etc.? Some games are not meant for kids. Nowadays a lot of games get a "Keine Jugendfreigabe" rating, which makes it impossible to put them on the index and most retailers do carry them so the situation for adult gamers has actually changed for the better.

I'll have you know I was busting open Ganado heads at the tender age of 16, thankyouverymuch.

farnham

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
:lol :lol

Phife Dawg said:

I am over 18. :p I wasn't speaking for myself.

And of course you can still get most of the games if you really want to, but the fact remains that games that you can't find at your local Media Markt won't sell good. Only hardcore gamers will buy them, not the average gamer who just buys something that has an interesting cover or he saw advertisement for.

Top Bottom