• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Hardware Charts

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hammerhai said:
German LTD's up to the end of july according to GfK:

Wii - 291,000
360 - 281,000
PS3 - 99,500

Numbers for july:

1. Wii - 26,000
2. PS3 - 8,000
3. 360 - 5,000
ani_de.gif
dance4nintendo.gif
ani_de.gif

Sahasrahla said:
I am over 18. :p I wasn't speaking for myself.

And of course you can still get most of the games if you really want to, but the fact remains that games that you can't find at your local Media Markt won't sell good. Only hardcore gamers will buy them, not the average gamer who just buys something that has an interesting cover or he saw advertisement for.
Don't know about Media Markt but Saturn and Pro Markt both carry "Keine Jugendfreigabe" media. I find it hard to believe Media Markt doesn't. But I will check next time I'm at a MM.

Anyways the sales argument is moot, unless of course you're against any kind of rating criteria/sytem. The higher the rating the less potential customers, publishers know that. Or do you complain that Hostel didn't get a "Freigegeben ab 12" rating and thus minimizing it's chances to score big on the market?

Pureauthor said:
I'll have you know I was busting open Ganado heads at the tender age of 16, thankyouverymuch.
Well this is up to anyone's opinion but I don't see a lot of people complain about movie ratings and that's basically the same to me.

Regardless of how I'd handle the situation no one holds back parents to buy these games for their underage children if they want to.

Benjamin1981 said:
Oh come on, please. 250 € vs. 600 €, 4 year lifecylce vs. 10 year lifecycle, two different groups of buyers.
Make it stop...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Europe is probably already in Nintendo's hands by now. I bet the fight for #2 in Europe/Other will be very close from here on out.

Freki

mr_bishiuk said:
Wow I cant believe how small the German market is, the LTD sales barely register 1 month Us sales.

well Germany's game market isn't that small - but we prefer our games on PCs.

Benjamin1981 said:
Oh come on, please. 250 € vs. 600 €, 4 year lifecylce vs. 10 year lifecycle, two different groups of buyers.

Are we going to have to wait until Sony pulls the plug on the PS3 circa 2011 before this idiotic line gets dropped?

Tab0203

When you guys played Super Mario Brothers, I was playing Giana Sisters, Law of the West and Ports of Call. My first Zelda was Ocarina of time and I never finished it. I preferred Goldeneye and ISS98. Metroid Prime was my first Metroid experience.

It was easier to convince your parents to buy a computer (C-64/Amiga).

Here's a drawing I made a second ago. It's not 100% accurate (I forgot the PSP shelves... They're in between DS and PS2 and there is one more Wii shelve), but this is what an average Media Markt games section looks like:

4l6ql4l.jpg

Xisiqomelir

Tab0203 said:
Here's a drawing I made a second ago. It's not 100% accurate (I forgot the PSP shelves... They're in between DS and PS2 and there is one more Wii shelve), but this is what an average Media Markt games section looks like:

Media Markt, as designed by Fragamemnon :lol

Haunted

Gahiggidy said:
:lol :lol

Are we going to have to wait until Sony pulls the plug on the PS3 circa 2011 before this idiotic line gets dropped?
As long as Tretton recites it in every interview, pretty much.

Tab0203 said:
When you guys played Super Mario Brothers, I was playing Giana Sisters, Law of the west and Ports of call. My first Zelda was Ocarina of time and I never finished it. I preferred Goldeneye and ISS98. Metroid Prime was my first Metroid experience.

It was easier to convince your parents to buy a computer (C-64/Amiga).

:lol That's actually not too bad a drawing. PC gaming and console gaming shelves are roughly 65:35 - what skews the numbers more is the PC
- hardware
- non-gaming software
- accessories
they take up so much of the space.

Also, remove the PS3 stations and sections (they've got a tiny space next to the PS2), add another Wii shelf + a 360 accessories section and you've pretty much got my Media Markt console section.

Tab0203

Haunted One said:
Also, remove the PS3 stations and sections (they've got a tiny space next to the PS2), add another 360 accessories section and you've pretty much got my Media Markt.
Yeah, I also forgot one more DS section iirc. The PS3 stations look like those Birthday card stations. They look bigger in my picture than they really are.

C.T.

schuelma said:
So one of the Wii's weakest markets is the U.S where its merely outselling its competition a bit over 2 to 1.

Wow

Just in absolute numbers cause of the strong ps3 launch. Now its mostly 3:1. (before ps3 price-cut)

Tab0203

I found a picture showing one side of two PC accessories sections.

The console game shelves look different. Behind the bluray station. PC Software/Games shelves in the top left corner.

53h4uqf.jpg

farnham

Banned
But isnt it normal that PC stuff is like way more then console stuff..

If you only look at the PC game section id say that it is about as big as the PS2 section .. maybe a tad bigger

I find this very interesting... the Wii is succeeding in places the GC could have never dreamed of succeeding in. There's no doubting the fact the Wii is expanding the market. Even in Germany, i'm sure former blitzkrieg bombers are swinging their virtual Wii rackets around in joy as their grandchildren happily play with them.

Verve

just read this article on heise.de

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/94749

part of it:
heise.de said:
Sony geht mit seiner Spielekonsole PlayStation 3 nach anfänglichen Startschwierigkeiten optimistisch ins Weihnachtsgeschäft. Im August habe die Hightech-Konsole in Deutschland mit 8.000 verkauften Geräten erstmals mit Nintendos erfolgreicher Wii gleichgezogen, sagte Deutschland-Manager Uwe Bassendowski am Mittwoch in Leipzig der dpa.

- 8000 PS3s sold in August -> the same amount as Wiis

wtf? sony claims Wii July 26000 -> Wii August 8000??
and august is not even over yet... way to make shit up i think.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Verve said:
I tripple checked my calendar and somehow it still is august.

-WindYoshi- said:
I find this very interesting... the Wii is succeeding in places the GC could have never dreamed of succeeding in. There's no doubting the fact the Wii is expanding the market. Even in Germany, i'm sure former blitzkrieg bombers are swinging their virtual Wii rackets around in joy as their grandchildren happily play with them.
Cut out that shit please.

Verve said:
just read this article on heise.de

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/94749

part of it:

wtf? sony claims Wii July 26000 -> Wii August 8000??
and august is not even over yet... way to make shit up i think.
This Is Lying.

Sony are just too obsessed with the competition atm. They should focus on making their console attractive, not downplaying the others. Where's the friggin' PAL price drop?

Verve

Phife Dawg said:
Where's the friggin' PAL price drop?

also mentioned in the article:

heise.de said:
Eine Preissenkung auch in Europa nach dem Abschlag von 100 US-Dollar in den USA vor einigen Wochen sei vorerst nicht geplant. Das jüngste Paket-Angebot mit einem zweiten Controller und zwei Spiele-Titeln sei im Markt sehr gut angenommen worden, sagte Bassendowski am Rande der Games Convention.

no price drop planned because the starter pack is well recieved...

Verve said:
also mentioned in the article:

no price drop planned because the starter pack is well recieved...
I know, it was a rethorical question refering to what Sony should do instead of bickering about the competition. Oh well probably means no PS3 for me this year.

German Data:

Nintendogs - 1 Millions copies sold

Brain Training sold more than 750,000 copies. Brain Training has been in the top 3 of the German sales charts for the last 12 months.

At the first weekend Pokemon Pearl and Diamond has been sold more than 100,000.

In 2007 18 from 20 games they have been sold are on Nintendo platforms.

NintendoDS has sold more than 2,2 Millions units. This year 750.000 Nintendo DS, every week 20.000 units, but last week they sold 42.000 Geräte units. In 2005 they sold 500.000 Nintendo DS units. In 2006 they sold 1.000.000 units. This year they want to sale 2 Millions units - if they can ship enough units.

"Nintendo has sold more Wii consoles than Mircosoft from there Xbox 360 in Germany, France and Spain" General Manager of Nintendo of Germany

http://www.faz.net/s/RubE2C6E0BCC2F...AAC~ATpl~Ecommon~Sspezial.html?rss_googlefeed
On Wednesday 22 August, Nintendo held a press event at the Games Convention 2007 in Leipzig, Germany, to highlight some of the current and upcoming games that European players will be seeing on shop shelves.

Bernd Fakesch, General Manager of Nintendo of Germany, and Patrick Ensign, Marketing Assistant Manager, presented a vast number of games that will satisfy hardcore gamers and casual gamers alike. Instead of a standard press conference, the two led members of the media through Nintendo’s booth and showed them demonstrations of games in addition to videos of the newest Nintendo products.

Before taking the press through the booth, the members of the media were shown a hands-on demonstration of Super Mario Galaxy, which will be released in Europe on 16 November (click here for a batch of brand new screenshots!). They were also shown clips of some of the many other core Nintendo titles for Wii such as Pokémon Battle Revolution, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for the Nintendo DS (check out the new trailer here).

From there, the guided press tour moved to the Nintendo DS area of the booth, featuring Touch! Generations games. Bernd spoke of what Touch! Generations means to the gaming and non-gaming community and gave some interesting facts about Nintendo’s breakthrough with mature audiences. ‘Silver gamers’, he said, are the fastest-growing target group and Nintendo is really seeing results in its push to capture the imagination of non-traditional gamers.

In Germany alone, Nintendogs has sold more than 1 million copies and Brain Training sold more than 750,000 copies. Brain Training has been in the top 3 of the German sales charts for the last 12 months. On the show floor, event attendees can play More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima and the upcoming Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (tentative title).

Most of Nintendo’s showing at the Games Convention focuses on mental and physical fitness. For the mental side of things, the booth tour stopped at the Big Brain Academy for Wii stage where Patrick introduced Christine Stenger, a junior world champion in memorisation. She gave the audience a few tips on how to improve their memorisation skills. Taking ten words from the audience she then took on the challenge of remembering what they were. She did this by associating a word with a part of her body and an object. Christine then challenged a member of the audience to a Mind Sprint in Big Brain Academy for Wii and easily beat him to the finish.

The last stop on the tour took the collected media to see Wii Fit in action for the first time in Europe. Wii Fit uses Nintendo’s unique Balance Board (tentative name) and senses the motion of the person standing on top of it. Those movements are then translated into on-screen actions. Football star Philip Lahm demonstrated Wii Fit via video. He played the Ski Jump and Football mini-games, saying “It’s a different method for keeping in shape.” Then, a personal trainer and a yoga expert took the stage to demonstrate Wii Fit in person. After performing a couple of yoga and stretching exercises, each woman tried to get the high score on the Hula Hoop mini-game.

But the Leipzig Games Convention is not just a press event. Everyone can freely walk around Nintendo's booth until the end of the event on 26 August. The booth is filled with Wii kiosks, a Touch! Generations lounge, Wii Fit and Big Brain Academy for Wii stages, desks to play the new More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima: How Old Is Your Brain? and at the centre of it all there is a Mii creation station. Here, people are invited to make Miis, and they can have their creations and names printed on a wearable badge to take home.

Click the Images link above for a gallery of pictures from the Nintendo booth at Games Convention 2007!

Top Bottom