• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015: PS4 1.6 million, XBO 378K

Germany Hardware LTD through March 2015:
PS4: 1.600,000
Xbox One: 378,000

YTD:
PS4: 208,000
XBO: 47,000

Link

PS4 leading in germany by a nose.

Kayant

Comparisons from the other thread -
both countries through 2014

Germany
PS4: 1,392,000
XBO: 331,000
ratio: 4.21

France
PS4: 1,100,000 (-21.0% from Germany)
XBO: 416,000 (+25.7% from Germany)
ratio: 2.64 (looks like I was right about France being the most favorable Xbox market in continental Europe...though that's not saying much)

Germany confirmed to be on Mars.

To be honest, I expected worse.
I know only one person in real life who owns an Xbox One, everybody has a PS4.

It is worse.

Since Germany is a tier-1 Xbox market, that means a portion of that 378k are imported by tier-2 markets to be sold unofficially.

For some reference

"We want to improve within a year our market share to 40 percent," said Xbox Germany boss Oliver Kaltner the newspaper "Euro am Sonntag" - 16th November 2013
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Microsoft-will-mehr-Spiele-verkaufen-2047984.html

Germany LtD hardware sales (in million) from November 2013:
Wii: 4.6M (42%)
PS3: 3.9M (36%)
Xbox 360: 2.4M (22%)

PS3 was at 4.2M as of June 2014:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=866924

Wii U was also at 350k in August, so it's pretty safe to say it'll still be in front of the Xbone.

Glomby

To be honest, I expected worse.
I know only one person in real life who owns an Xbox One, everybody has a PS4.

Then what's wrong with me? I know nobody with a PS4 but 4 people with an X1.

The problem here in Germany is people basically don't know or care what the Xbox brand really is. Whenever I show someone both consoles they are surprised that the Xbox is actually any good and many even prefer it then. Microsoft needs to push the brand in Europe not the console. No matter what they do with Xbox, even if it was two times as powerful as the ps4, people wouldn't care.

PtM

Banned
They are deemed to be significant multipliers, because many looking to buy a new console often ask die-hard gamers for their recommendation. Thus a success with hard-core gamers entails further hardware sales.
Huh. I never thought about it that way.

Raist

Banned
So, "known" numbers so far.

Germany (March 2015):
PS4 1.6M
XB1 378k

France (December 2014)
PS4 1.1M
XB1 416k

UK
PS4 1M (August 2014)
XB1 1M (Late November 2014)
Combined 3.3M (Late January 2015). I would expect the PS4 LTD to be higher than in Germany, I guess.

Japan (April 2015)
PS4 1.43M
XB1 50k

Spain (Mid-September 2014)
PS4 360k
XB1 ~52k
Combined 700k as of January 2015.

Italy (December 2014, sales projection)
PS4 550k
XB1 150k
No idea how it turned out, I can't find anything more recent than 210k PS4 in June 2014.

Middle East (January 2015)
PS4 1M "soon"
XB1 ?

Australia
PS4 >200k (November 2014)
XB1 ?

Probably missed a couple. Also lost track of the LTDs in the US.

I think Microsoft could get better sales if they actually advertised their console in Europe...

Who has seen an advert for Xbox in European media like on TV? It doesn't happen. In marketing terms the console doesn't even exist in Europe.

ps3ud0

Dont forget that XO number has been inflated by Germany being the exporter of choice for Tier 2 countries before their official launch. 4:1 is flattering when you consider that...

EDIT: Man beaten a few times :p

ps3ud0 8)

Lulu23

It's a little weird to see this as in all retail stores I've been to in the last year (really just MediaMarkt and Saturn in several towns) XO and PS4 were nearly the same in shelf space, number of available accessories and so on. I mean I know no one with an Xbox One and have never seen one outside of stores, whereas tons of people near me have PS4s, but I didn't expect the difference to be that huge.

The following things are keeping me from buying an Xbox One for its exclusives (which really really interest me):

It has features built in I won't use that, while probably not making the console cheaper if eliminated, would make me feel like I overpayed. Sony's approach with a console just for games was the right call and MS should have a SKU like that.

It isn't as practical as the PS4: While I myself would prefer a bigger console over a smaller but way louder one, I think the general consumer prefers it the exact opposite way.
Also, you can't just plug in any headphones into the XO gamepad like you can with the PS4 (even with a mic), which is a huge deal for me and I guess a LOT of people not playing in living rooms with proper setups but in bedrooms, dorms, at desks etc..

It is generally harder to justify buying both consoles now that you have to pay for online multiplayer on both.

ISee

Within a year we want to improve (the Xbox) market share to 40%... right now it is at 30%

~Oliver Kaltner, the chief of Xbox division (germany), one week before XOne launched.

source

I was very curious what their plan was to increase their market share in germany by 10%... as it seems they had none.

I think, after E3 2013, the Xbox brand never recovered and most people still treat it as a american focused TV machine (with no real functionality in germany/europe) with inferior graphic capabilitys.

kiguel182

It's a little weird to see this as in all retail stores I've been to in the last year (really just MediaMarkt and Saturn in several towns) XO and PS4 were nearly the same in shelf space, number of available accessories and so on. I mean I know no one with an Xbox One and have never seen one outside of stores, whereas tons of people near me have PS4s, but I didn't expect the difference to be that huge.

The following things are keeping me from buying an Xbox One for its exclusives (which really really interest me):

It has features built in I won't use that, while probably not making the console cheaper if eliminated, would make me feel like I overpayed. Sony's approach with a console just for games was the right call and MS should have a SKU like that.

It isn't as practical as the PS4: While I myself would prefer a bigger console over a smaller but way louder one, I think the general consumer prefers it the exact opposite way.
Also, you can't just plug in any headphones into the XO gamepad like you can with the PS4 (even with a mic), which is a huge deal for me and I guess a LOT of people not playing in living rooms with proper setups but in bedrooms, dorms, at desks etc..

It is generally harder to justify buying both consoles now that you have to pay for online multiplayer on both.

Plugging the headphones to the DS4 is probably the PS4 feauture I use the most and the one I don't want them to go back on. Couldn't live without it now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
IIRC, Xbox One gets continuous deals in Germany, even consistent ones. So, this would be happening despite those deals. Is that true?

Also, seeing Mario Party 10 still in top 10 in Germany, despite its launch in late March, while Xbox One games usually go down pretty fast after the release makes me think it won't be that easy for One to reach the second place. Look at this week: MP10 8th, then SSB and Captain Toad in Top 50. Xbox One has just one game, at 24th. Surely, being released one year earlier helps in being second :p

DBT85

I think, after E3 2013, the Xbox brand never recovered and most people still treat it as a american focused TV machine (with no real functionality in germany/europe) with inferior graphic capabilitys.

That's exactly what happened.

But they also forgot that they had like a 16 month head start over the PS3 which sure as shit helped them get a toe in that market in the first place. 360 was out for two Christmas periods in Europe before the PS3 landed.

I think Microsoft could get better sales if they actually advertised their console in Europe...

Who has seen an advert for Xbox in European media like on TV? It doesn't happen. In marketing terms the console doesn't even exist in Europe.

There's was that Titanfall ad and the one with Steven Gerrard and Spock I think, but that was last year.

Top Bottom