• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Even delayed because of Manchester Arena attack

Jackpot

Banned
Good fucking lord, OP...

No counter-argument?

How many mass shootings involving white males have there been? How many resulted in your typical dudebro FPS being delayed?

Publisher/developer decides to delay the game they created/publishing "out of respect” for the victims and family of a terror attack.
Queue gamers complaining about it.

It's "cue", and it's only a tangential relation. It attributes a greater importance to the game than it deserves.

They can delay their game for as long as they want and for any reason that they choose and to be honest, it's nobody else's damn business.

That's a catch-all argument that could be applied to any game releasing in any state. Of course it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Does that mean you're going to go to all the other threads the argument applies to and tell people to stop talking about them?

Dargor

No counter-argument?

How many mass shootings involving white males have there been? How many resulted in your typical dudebro FPS being delayed?

It's "cue", and it's only a tangential relation. It attributes a greater importance to the game than it deserves.

That's a catch-all argument that could be applied to any game releasing in any state. Of course it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Does that mean you're going to go to all the other threads the argument applies to and tell people to stop talking about them?

Dude, stop, not trying to act like mod, I'm not, but this is not a topic for this type of mundane argument.

JP

Of course it's a catch-all argument, that's exactly why it applies to this game also.

It's highly unlikely that I'm going to visit all of any type of thread on here and you'll find that I've not told anybody to stop talking about anything in any of the threads that I have visited or will likely ever visit on here. If I was wanting you to "stop talking" then it would have made far more sense for me to not reply to you instead of doing what I did do, which was, replying to you.

EDIT:
Ha, he/she is now suggesting that "queue" is incorrectly spelt and that "cue" is the only correct spelling of the word. Excellent demonstration of that global view he/she possesses.

You know guys maybe once in a while we can have some sympathy and respect instead of thinking that the world revolves around our opinions and that anyone else must have a wire loose?

Conspiracies and judgement aside I respect the developers for this. Even if for you it "isn't remotely close", it still might be for someone. We can't please everyone but we can please as many as we can.

It's a sensitive time and they decided to respond in this way.

Well here's a quote from a synopsis of the game.

With Cole Black's memory lost, his job is to find out why a teenage girl has a bomb strapped to her chest.

So it's a videogame that has a teenage girl with a bomb strapped to her chest, releasing the same week as a major terror incident involving a suicide bomber.
So delaying the game was the correct and most respectful choice.

Madame M

Banned
It's strange that I would have likely never heard of this game if it weren't for news of the delay. I wonder why that is.

Couleurs

This happens all the time.

Motorstorm Apocalypse's release was delayed due to the 2011 Japan Tsunami for example.

MGS2 also, after 9/11 happened

edit - wait, was it not delayed but just had scenes removed? I thought I remembered it being pushed back but maybe I'm wrong.

From Wikipedia:
The video game Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was released as scheduled in November 2001 despite the plot centering on terrorists in New York City and a scene in which a giant battleship crashes into Federal Hall National Memorial; however, a scene in which Arsenal Gear, a futuristic mobile fortress, destroys the Statue of Liberty and much of Manhattan's Financial District was removed, as was live-action footage of the Twin Towers originally slated to be used in the ending.

devs and pub made the right choice. Second op is terrible.

EDIT:
Ha, he/she is now suggesting that "queue" is incorrectly spelt and that "cue" is the only correct spelling of the word. Excellent demonstration of that global view he/she possesses.
Cue and queue are different words to be fair.

It's strange that I would have likely never heard of this game if it weren't for news of the delay. I wonder why that is.
Do you REALLY need to do this? And keep going? Stop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This kind of thing is extremely common, especially in mobile/digital only games.

I'm just sharing my opinion, just like you.

But I guess it's not ok to not want to see the terrorists win.
Nah, you're being insensitive and doubling down when that's being pointed out for nothing more than shock value. Fishing for quotes. A game being delayed isn't "letting the terrorists win" what a dumb, nonsensical notion.

RPGam3r

Some of the responses in this thread are depressing to read and show a complete lack of empathy. I shouldn't be surprised but here I am thinking how the fuck are people spinning this into something bad.

Good on the devs/pubs for thinking of others.

Madame M

Banned
Some of the responses in this thread are depressing to read and show a complete lack of empathy. I shouldn't be surprised but here I am thinking how the fuck are people spinning this into something bad.

Good on the devs/pubs for thinking of others.

It's not "bad," it's meaningless and no ones lives will be affected by it.

OldMuffin

Glad they are doing this, it's always a good thing to be mindful of stuff like this. However, that being said am I a terrible person for hoping they work on it and fix some of the issues that early reviews talked about during the delay?

It's not "bad," it's meaningless and no ones lives will be affected by it.
You shouldn't let it bother you so much in that case. 20+ actual kids died and you can't get over them doing this because you think it's meaningless. Good job on being a decent person.

Well that's interesting, copies already shipped to stores this week (I had them in my hands today) so expect to see a bunch on eBay for a high markup.

BigDes

Already ISIS are on the streets celebrating that they got the Great Satan, Namco/Bandai to delay their game for a month out of respect.

Madame M

Banned
You shouldn't let it bother you so much in that case. 20+ actual kids died and you can't get over them doing this because you think it's meaningless. Good job on being a decent person.

It's horrible what happened to those 20+ children, and indeed what terrible fate befalls children in this world every day, but their lives will not be affected by the delay of this B video game.

Madame M

Banned
I wonder if anyone would have even made the "connection" between the game and the Manchester bombing if the developers hadn't pointed it out by publicizing a delay.

benzopil

I wonder if anyone would have even made the "connection" between the game and the Manchester bombing if the developers hadn't pointed it out by publicizing a delay.
Devs made the connection and made the decision. You wouldn't make the connection and wouldn't make the decision.

benzopil

Exactly, the developers only served to publicize the connection.
And?

I hate PR bullshit as much as you do (like that dev who said "if you are a Trump supporter, don't buy our game", maybe he was honest but that seemed strange), but this is not the case.

They are not delaying it for three days so people don't forget it too fast. One month is a lot.

Shaanyboi

Banned
No counter-argument?

Well I sure as hell remember last year the week of E3 when the nightclub in Florida was shot up, and numerous people covering games that week commented on how uncomfortable it was to have to be enthusiastically covering a bunch of shooters. Bandai Namco were in a position to delay the launch of their game, and so they chose to do so.

Madame M

Banned
And?

I hate PR bullshit as much as you do (like that dev who said "if you are a Trump supporter, don't buy our game", maybe he was honest but that seemed strange), but this is not the case.

They are not delaying it for three days so people don't forget it too fast. One month is a lot.

To me that is sad that people think a month is enough time to forget such a tragic bombing, but I guess that makes me a monster.

Shaanyboi

Banned
To me that is sad that people think a month is enough time to forget such a tragic bombing, but I guess that makes me a monster.

Did you want them to scrap the project entirely? Maybe they didn't want coverage about their girl-strapped-to-a-bomb game to be going on around the time of a fucking bombing.

But please, keep digging this hole...

Madame M

Banned
Did you want them to scrap the project entirely? Maybe they didn't want coverage about their girl-strapped-to-a-bomb game to be going on around the time of a fucking bombing.

But please, keep digging this hole...

Fun fact: Their girl-strapped-to-a-bomb game is getting coverage around the time of a fucking bombing, and it's the developers own doing.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fun fact: Their girl-strapped-to-a-bomb game is getting coverage around the time of a fucking bombing, and it's the developers own doing.
A news story about a delay is nowhere near the same as the kind of coverage you would be getting when your game is actually out.

Try again.

Threads like this were users can't reach obvious conclusions are always great for exposing who hasn't been properly socialized.

Because they made a game about a girl strapped to a bomb. They didn't suddenly just make a game about it. It's terrible timing.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I think they anticipating maybe a backlash, but they are getting good PR press by delaying it and showing they care.

I dunno, maybe I'm jaded, but it sounds hollow. A month is nothing.

benzopil

I think they anticipating maybe a backlash, but they are getting good PR press by delaying it and showing they care.

I dunno, maybe I'm jaded, but it sounds hollow. A month is nothing.
A month is a lot in this industry. Plus it will be released after E3, when people will be too excited after seeing dozens of cool blockbusters. They won't remember this cheap thriller game. So I don't think I understand this logic.

Madame M

Banned
A news story about a delay is nowhere near the same as the kind of coverage you would be getting when your game is actually out.

Try again.

And they'll still get that coverage when it is released a mere month from now. They are just piling onto the press they will get anyway.

Orfeas

And they'll still get that coverage when it is released a mere month from now. They are just piling onto the press they will get anyway.

You're suggesting that paying for another month of development time is worth the very small publicity bump they're getting from this?

BigDes

You're suggesting that paying for another month of development time is worth the very small publicity bump they're getting from this?

They aren't going to get any more development time. Game is already published at in some stores.

It is literally going to sit in the back for a month.

Top Bottom