• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

They firecuda st2000lx001 isn't the way to go ?

I would think it would be fine. It's a 2TB laptop drive, 7mm at that, and it uses 8GB of NAND Flash storage to help speed up loading and whatnot throughout the drive. It's used for caching, not for hard drive space (the 8GB).

f@luS

More than a member.
Ok thanks will wait a bit it's not available yet where I am to check things out

If I buy it before PS4 pro how to transfer all my actual PS4 2tb content ?

Ok thanks will wait a bit it's not available yet where I am to check things out

If I buy it before PS4 pro how to transfer all my actual PS4 2tb content ?

I think in the latest version, they allowed the ability to transfer all data from one PS4 to another via Ethernet cable. But if you just replace the hard drive on the Pro before you boot up, you just need the newest version of the PS4 OS on a thumb drive for the PS4 to install it on the new hard drive. I did it with my PS3 and did it with my PS4.

Also, I'm getting a 2TB because I actually ran out of space once on my 1TB.

f@luS

More than a member.
So I will need to download everything again if I swap it straight or at least have 2 PS4 connected ?

Hesitating I have 2tb in my current PS4 already should I keep it or buy a sshd ....

Firecuda 2TB is only 5400rpm, ugh. Thought all 2TB laptop drives would be 7200rpm by now, they've been on the market for ages.

My 1TB current PS4 HDD is only half filled, but it will be full before the end of this generation so I might just get the new Barracuda 2TB version or pony up another $100 for a 1TB SDD when they are on special for the Pro now.

Wow, what a bunch of bad information Amazon has posted on the Firecuda.

The Firecuda is 5400 rpm, NOT 7200.

The Firecuda has 128 MB cache, NOT 64.

Firecuda 2TB is only 5400rpm, ugh. Thought all 2TB laptop drives would be 7200rpm by now, they've been on the market for ages.
I used to agree with this sentiment. I mean, logically, it makes sense. However, due to the density of the data on those size platters, so I've read, 5400 RPM provides great results.

So I'm thinking I like the idea of copying games, saves, and anything else via ethernet cable between my launch PS4 and the new PS4 Pro. It should be faster and I won't have to deal with the occasional 'stuck download'. Anyone else going down this route and are there any pitfalls to think about?

Ozorov

Wow, what a bunch of bad information Amazon has posted on the Firecuda.

The Firecuda is 5400 rpm, NOT 7200.

The Firecuda has 128 MB cache, NOT 64.
Seems like there are 2 versions? One DX and one LX. One is 7200/64 the other 5400/128. But maybe thats what you're pointing out

How is faster loading time a gimmick? It's still expensive, but it's a legit improvement.

Ofc it is an improvement but it's not really a MUST. & It's expensive.
An ssd is more worth in pc platform for booting mainly but on a ps4, personally I can live with the existing hdd it has. & Loading times are not as hell as some people brag about. Just my opinion.

As childish as calling as calling other members "spoiled kids" or more childish?

1st, I didn't mention any 'other members', I was talking about gamers nowadays & it was a comparison & also a fact. & 2nd look up to another member referring to me as 'how ignorant can you be' just cuz I expressed my opinion.

JP

1st, I didn't mention any 'other members', I was talking about gamers nowadays & it was a comparison & also a fact. & 2nd look up to another member referring to me as 'how ignorant can you be' just cuz I expressed my opinion.
You clearly mentioned that gamers are just a bunch of spoiled kids these days, this is a game forum where members are gamers and as a gamer it's not something that I need to be reading from somebody who knows nothing about me.

If you were specifically talking about gamers who aren't members of the community then posting it in a community that is specifically for gamers without mentioning that detail is clearly going to give mixed messages.

StereoVsn

Never had any problem with ps4 loading times.
All I know is that gamers nowadays have become like just a bunch of spoiled kids who are never pleased with anything.
Yeah, nice potshot there, sport.

SSDs are a godsend in open world games with their constant streaming as well as load times. If you personally don't have an issue with streaming because you like stuttering or sitting around waiting 30 sec for a save load or game load or area transition, it doesn't mean that those who want to improve performance are spoilt.

Also, no, it's not just utilized for an OS boot drive in PCs. Any larger game can benefit from an SSD. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc... are all games that run much better off an SSD.

EmiPrime

Never had any problem with ps4 loading times.
All I know is that gamers nowadays have become like just a bunch of spoiled kids who are never pleased with anything.

How is a gamer a spoiled kid for spending a couple hundred on an SSD when for example, hobbyist photographers spend that on a camera lens? Surprise dude! People like spending money on their hobbies.

Donos

After a long break, i went back to Witcher 3 and daaaaamn those loadtimes after dying (git gud Donos!) are really something else. If a SSD + PS4 Pro could half that time, it would already be worth it.

Will probably wait till christmas time in the hopes of an Amazon lightning deal on an SSD. I will "suffer" with the default drive through FFXV till then.

When I moonlighted for a large electronics dealer I remember management saying something that has always stuck with me ever since (I'm paraphrasing, as it's been years since I was there):

"Never tell someone to shop with your wallet."

In other words, don't give buying advice based on how much you make. It was rather poignant, since this was the same company paying these kids a little over minimum wage, but the point was still strong.

No one here should be telling, say, kyoufu, that buying a 2TB SSD is "ignorant," or whatever other negative sentiments have been tossed around here. It's not your money, so remove the personal attachment. Maybe kyoufu is the CEO of Unicorn Pony Rides, Inc and his/her salary is larger than most small countries' GDP.

A 2TB SSD is going to be a beneficial upgrade. Period. If the gains are minimal, then so what? Kyoufu, in my example, values any gains, period. S/he has made a buying decision based on what's important to them and what's within his/her financial means.

So, yeah, I'm a bit embarrassed by some of the GAFfers' posts here. I know NeoGAF, as a community, is better than some of these single posts.

In other words, don't give buying advice based on how much you make. It was rather poignant, since this was the same company paying these kids a little over minimum wage, but the point was still strong.

No one here should be telling, say, kyoufu, that buying a 2TB SSD is "ignorant," or whatever other negative sentiments have been tossed around here. It's not your money, so remove the personal attachment. Maybe kyoufu is the CEO of Unicorn Pony Rides, Inc and his/her salary is larger than most small countries' GDP.

A 2TB SSD is going to be a beneficial upgrade. Period. If the gains are minimal, then so what? Kyoufu, in my example, values any gains, period. S/he has made a buying decision based on what's important to them and what's within his/her financial means.

So, yeah, I'm a bit embarrassed by some of the GAFfers' posts here. I know NeoGAF, as a community, is better than some of these single posts.[/QUOTE]

Who is criticizing him? People can buy whatever they want.

What is the demands on a SSD so it will work on Pro? 2.5 inches etc?

2.5 inches and 9.5mm or less. This one is 7mm so it will fit with no issues. Not sure about the brands to avoid, but the Samsung Evo seems to be the best. This one seems to be good. Definitely good enough for use in a console.

Ozorov

2.5 inches and 9.5mm or less. This one is 7mm so it will fit with no issues. Not sure about the brands to avoid, but the Samsung Evo seems to be the best. This one seems to be good. Definitely good enough for use in a console.
Cool I think I will go with the EVO 850

At this point the main difference I see between my PS4 and PC is loading times.

PS4 loading times are frustrating as shit, and any small improvement to load times will be a reason for purchasing. I could save hours of waiting per year!

As evidenced by early previews, Pro seems to reduce loading times. If it reduces them even more with an SSD, even better.

Interfectum

At this point the main difference I see between my PS4 and PC is loading times.

PS4 loading times are frustrating as shit, and any small improvement to load times will be a reason for purchasing. I could save hours of waiting per year!

As evidenced by early previews, Pro seems to reduce loading times. If it reduces them even more with an SSD, even better.

Yup. As someone who switches back and forth between PS4 and PC loading times is easily the biggest annoyance and difference between the two. If PS4 Pro + SSD can fix that I'm in.

The prices for the SSD's are just too much for what I want. Dropping £500+ on 2TB is just too much.

Iirc Amazon usually have an SSD sale on around Christmas time/Black Friday so it's probably worthwhile waiting till then. Pretty sure I picked up an Evo 850 500GB for £100 last year compared to the £150 they cost right now.

I wish HDD's would just die a death already.

Number45

As someone who doesn't really need extra space (still have the stock 500GB and I'm pretty sure I'm nowhere near the limit) this will be great news if the performance benefits are proven when PS4 Pro launches. Hadn't originally intended to pick it up (no 4K yet) but this might tempt me to pick one up in preparation for a major TV (and amp) upgrade.

The prices for the SSD's are just too much for what I want. Dropping £500+ on 2TB is just too much.

Iirc Amazon usually have an SSD sale on around Christmas time/Black Friday so it's probably worthwhile waiting till then. Pretty sure I picked up an Evo 850 500GB for £100 last year compared to the £150 they cost right now.

I wish HDD's would just die a death already.

I don't know whether to wait in hope that Amazon have a lightning deal at christmas where a 850 Evo 1TB is £150-200 or whatever, or just get a Firecuda/SSHD 2TB...I tend to be extremely tolerant of load times so I guess for me an SSHD is way more cost effective.

Of course if money was no object I'd get a 2TB/+ Pro/Evo....

Koobion

People have been mentioning that some previews have pointed out that the Pro is loading games noticeably faster than the regular model. Would more be at play here than the HDD in Pro being a little better? I would definitely wager that that's the case, but what else would be influencing it? CPU? Memory bandwidth? I'm just curious.

Fisty

Did that "patching" process for the fucked up 840 Pro EVO's firmware ever get any easier? I need to do that while swapping out with the PS4Pro

Jonboy

People have been mentioning that some previews have pointed out that the Pro is loading games noticeably faster than the regular model. Would more be at play here than the HDD in Pro being a little better? I would definitely wager that that's the case, but what else would be influencing it? CPU? Memory bandwidth? I'm just curious.
Link? Not saying you're wrong. I'd just like to read that myself.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Even if it's an SSHD drive it could be significantly faster. And those are not much more expensive than a plain hard drive.

I ordered my Firecuda from Newegg on Monday night it looked like it was going to ship Tuesday but is stuck in the label created phase. Purolator has a tracking number but no updates beyond label created.

I don't know why I posted this. I have never ordered from Newegg and I hate waiting.

Hasney

The PS4 hard drive hooked up to a SATA port, but used the USB bus for data transfer. If it's no longer doing that, then even a standard HDD could be faster

Top Bottom