• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Firecuda is an sshd with 8gb flash added.
Baracuda is purely hdd, with more storage capacity, but also higher (15mm). So that one will definitely not fit in a PS4 and most likely not in a PS4Pro.

The 3tb, 4tb and 5tb Barracuda drives are 15mm. I think the 2tb Barracuda is listed as 7mm just like the Firecuda.

JP

Yeah, this one here, I just signed up for an alert when it comes in stock.
Thanks, I thought so.

I still want to know more about the actual hardware in the PS4 Pro before I decide to get the SSHD. I can't think of any reason why there wouldn't be genuine benefits in buying this SSHD but until I know exactly what's going on there before I hand over money.

I don't think it would happen but it is possible that it may even have a 3.5 drive bay in the Pro.

Thanks, I thought so.

I still want to know more about the actual hardware in the PS4 Pro before I decide to get the SSHD. I can't think of any reason why there wouldn't be genuine benefits in buying this SSHD but until I know exactly what's going on there before I hand over money.

I don't think it would happen but it is possible that it may even have a 3.5 drive bay in the Pro.

SSHD are super cheap now. Even the basic PS4 showed good improvement in some titles with those.

Firecuda is an sshd with 8gb flash added.
I thought the FireCuda had more NAND flash than 8 GB. I can't seem to find any information that says otherwise, though. Like, not even Seagate's product page says. Odd!

EDIT - It appears not. I swore I saw an SSHD somewhere that had quite a bit of NAND flash on it. 32 or 64GB? I can't remember, unfortunately.

I thought the FireCuda had more NAND flash than 8 GB. I can't seem to find any information that says otherwise, though. Like, not even Seagate's product page says. Odd!

EDIT - It appears not. I swore I saw an SSHD somewhere that had quite a bit of NAND flash on it. 32 or 64GB? I can't remember, unfortunately.

This Seagate 1TB SSHD has 32GB of NAND:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4W2AK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AXXRIWNZH0NC&coliid=I86HJ3C5LLVLP&psc=1

Firecuda pales in comparison, but it looks like it has been discontinued for this new cheaper line.

JP

SSHD are super cheap now. Even the basic PS4 showed good improvement in some titles with those.
Ah yeah, it's not the money that's stopping me buying it right now. It's the fact that we're not completely sure yet whether it'll still be a 2.5 drive bay or whether they'll have finally upgraded it to a 3.5 bay as people were wanting.

I'm not suggesting that they will actually do that but with much more real estate in the console and the higher power consumption mean that it's not completely off the books, yet. Of course, a 2.5 drive would work in it but if we are lucky enough to get a 3.5 drive bay then it really opens things up for us.

Again, not expecting it to happen but I'd rather wait until I know for certain.

EDIT:
Unless, have I missed that it's already been confirmed as 2.5?

This Seagate 1TB SSHD has 32GB of NAND:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4W2AK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1AXXRIWNZH0NC&coliid=I86HJ3C5LLVLP&psc=1

Firecuda pales in comparison, but it looks like it has been discontinued for this new cheaper line.
Yeah, going to the FireCuda seems an awful step back. Would there be any other reason than cost-to-produce to replace the whole HDD line with the FireCudas? Is there something about their design that makes at least parity between the two, performance wise?

Planet

Eagerly awaiting the massive outcry of people disappointed by PS4 Pro SSD performance. They will curse, they will cry, they will swear Sony promised them zero load times...

Telling people over and over again that SATA standard isn't the thing limiting storage performance doesn't help. They regardless throw the shitstorm ingredients into the kettle and happily brew the concoction.

If you're getting a 2tb ssd drive, you truly have everything.

One could get PSVR, an xbox one S, a nice arcade stick, a second tv for the price of a 2tb ssd drive. It's just not practical.

Just waiting on the kinja deal for a 2tb sshd drive. No hurry since the Pro doesn't drop until the 10th.

500GB is really low for games... over 1TB is recommended and even that is considered low.

I'm glad there are up to 4TB SSD options in the market now.

Really low for whom? The average gamer or the top 1% of the top 1% of gaffers? I bought a 2Tb last year, installed a bunch of psn games and demos and trials that I never use. Have destiny, division, gta5, neverwinter, overwatch, bf Hardline, Warframe, last of us, driveclub, 2 MLB games, NBA 2k16, the order. All that and yet I'm at 1.1Tb free space of the entire 1.77Tb drive.

DPtheGod

This is awesome! But, can my current PS4's 2TB standard HDD fit into the Pro? Or, do we know if the 1TB it ships with is a SSD? If so, I'll say F it to the extra 1TB I think...

Eagerly awaiting the massive outcry of people disappointed by PS4 Pro SSD performance. They will curse, they will cry, they will swear Sony promised them zero load times...

Telling people over and over again that SATA standard isn't the thing limiting storage performance doesn't help. They regardless throw the shitstorm ingredients into the kettle and happily brew the concoction.

SATA II isn't limiting it because the PS4 doesn't even have full support for that.

ethomaz

Banned
Really low for whom? The average gamer or the top 1% of the top 1% of gaffers? I bought a 2Tb last year, installed a bunch of psn games and demos and trials that I never use. Have destiny, division, gta5, neverwinter, overwatch, bf Hardline, Warframe, last of us, driveclub, 2 MLB games, NBA 2k16, the order. All that and yet I'm at 1.1Tb free space of the entire 1.77Tb drive.
500GB is really low... you need to have near 100GB free to install Destiny patches and with 400GB you have like 7-8 retail games.

It is too low if you have some games that you play for fun every week plus the actual games you are finishing yet.

I have 500GB and I need to manage storage every new buy or patch.

This is awesome! But, can my current PS4's 2TB standard HDD fit into the Pro? Or, do we know if the 1TB it ships with is a SSD? If so, I'll say F it to the extra 1TB I think...
It ships with the same PS4 HDD... 5400RPM.

Any PS4's HDD fits on Pro.

Without any actual inside knowledge I can tell you confidently that the PS4 Pro will NOT ship with a SSD.

DPtheGod

500GB is really slow... you need to have near 100GB free to install Destiny patches and with 400GB you have like 7-8 retail games.

It is too slow if you have some games that you play for fun every week plus the actual games you are finishing yet.

I have 500GB and I need to manage storage every new buy or patch.

It ships with the same PS4 HDD... 5400RPM.

Any PS4's HDD fits on Pro.

Okay good! I was thinking so lol.

Without any actual inside knowledge I can tell you confidently that the PS4 Pro will NOT ship with a SSD.

I also thought this would be the case as well! But I was still hopeful :(

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD that I have is plenty of space for PS4 Pro. I only own two retail games digitally (The Witcher III with both expansions and TLOUR) and about 10 Indie/PSN games. I don't collect disc games anymore so once a game is done, it's deleted and traded in. If I even fill up the entire 408GB this generation, I'll be shocked. LOL.

JP

This may well be a stupid question but isn't 5400rpm going to be an issue in the 2.5 FireCuda (ST2000LX001). The only one that I'm seeing with 7800rpm is the desktop version of this.

Am I just missing something here?

StereoVsn

Is this a good option for the Pro?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M8ABHVQ/

£90 cheaper than the Samsung 850 but I'm not a SSD expert. Supports SATA III though?
This is a bit older SSD but it works quite well. I have a couple in different systems. Yes it's slower vs Samsung but its more then fast enough for majority of end user purposes.

Note that there is a newer version of this drive which should be similar in price.

Edit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0195B30KG/

This is the one. Not sure if it's worth the price difference if we are talking about game console.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This may well be a stupid question but isn't 5400rpm going to be an issue in the 2.5 FireCuda (ST2000LX001). The only one that I'm seeing with 7800rpm is the desktop version of this.

Am I just missing something here?

It will work, but it will be inconsistent.

JP

It will work, but it will be inconsistent.
Ah, yeah. I know it'll be fine but with the way it was getting an almost wholesale recommendation on here left me a bit surprised when I saw that it was actually 5400rpm. I thought with maybe with people waiting for it to come into stock meant that that there was maybe a newer 7800rpm being released.

Thank you. Just bought it on Newegg :). Did the slower free shipping since it will be here before the system will anyways :p.

Make sure to leave impressions. I'm gonna wait for the holidays sales and inevitable Digital Foundry reports before I choose a replacement. Still leaning towards a SSD though.

I have the Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive is there much difference between that drive and the one that you are all talking about available on newegg and tigerdirect..I paid 100 bucks for this drive was planning on putting it into my PS4 PRO once I buy it

I'm a bit confused here. The Firecuda has only 8MB cache, but this standard Seagate Momentus HDD has 32MB. Should I be concerned about that?

EDIT: Sorry inadded the the confusion! I see the cache on the Firecuda is 64 MB. My Seagate was actually half this. Already bought the one from Newegg.

EDIT 2: Now I see that the Barracuda is 128 MB cache. What would make the Firecuda better than this?

I'm a bit confused here. The Firecuda has only 8MB cache, but this standard Seagate Momentus HDD has 32MB. Should I be concerned about that?

EDIT: Sorry inadded the the confusion! I see the cache on the Firecuda is 64 MB. My Seagate was actually half this. Already bought the one from Newegg.

EDIT 2: Now I see that the Barracuda is 128 MB cache. What would make the Firecuda better than this?

Seagate had a 32GB SSHD. Firecuda is a downgrade guess unless it has some hidden tech we don't know about. Calling it a gaming hard drive is gimmicky marketing IMO. 64MB won't do much at all for gaming and most of that will probably go to the OS.

Seagate had a 32GB SSHD. Firecuda is a downgrade guess unless it has some hidden tech we don't know about. Calling it a gaming hard drive is gimmicky marketing IMO. 64MB won't do much at all for gaming and most of that will probably go to the OS.
Anand Tech seems to think there may be improvements in the algorithms for managing the data, but they warn nothing has been confirmed/denied.

AnandTech said:
Seagate has not revealed whether the new FireCuda SSHDs use a new caching algorithm compared to the previous-gen hybrid hard drives, but this is certainly a possibility given the use of SMR platters. As before, the company says that the algorithm is continuously trying to optimize performance of FireCuda SSHDs.

So I don't know what's up with the lack of information but I just read the instruction manual for the 2 TB Firecuda from Seagate's support site and it actually states it has a 128 MB cache. I don't know where the 64 MB Amazon is getting.

So I don't know what's up with the lack of information but I just read the instruction manual for the 2 TB Firecuda from Seagate's support site and it actually states it has a 128 MB cache. I don't know where the 64 MB Amazon is getting.

Was just coming to post this. Not sure where the 64mb came from its 128mb

f@luS

More than a member.
So in the end which 2tb drive to take for the PS4 pro at correct prices ? I'm confused with this thread

Top Bottom