• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Fisty

Didn't someone claim a while back that the ps4 sata was actually running on the USB bus hence why it was so slow? Wouldn't surprise me if there was a similar scenario with the pro and we won't get full 6GB/s.

Are you that twisted89? If so, sir we need your help!

As someone who typically plays Destiny + one other game 500GB is plenty for me. Hadn't really been considering the PS4 Pro (no 4K TV, and if I DO buy one I'll also need a new amp) but this might do it for me.

500GB should be pretty cheap to pick up.
A lot of the downtime in Destiny is matchmaking. Still, I want to get a Pro and an SSD now.

eVbBcSR.png

Who's with me? I don't want to be the only one.

Fuchsdh

I just hope the system is shipped with a 7200m drive, or this would be a bad joke.

That's what concerns me... will this really matter? An SSD in any of the current consoles is a minor improvement (leaving aside the USB connection in the PS4, it's still not much better with an SSD in the XB1), and unless they're optimizing games for faster read speeds I feel like even with SATAIII we're not going to get much of an improvement.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I eagerly await tests to see what gains can be made on the Pro once an SSD is loaded into one.

Da_Bears

Neo Member
I eagerly await tests to see what gains can be made on the Pro once an SSD is loaded into one.

Same here. With VR,I have realized I want more digital and less disc swapping. Will need more space this go around, and hopefully faster loading times.

U_Know_Me

This paired with external hard drive support would be perfect. I would try and find a good deal on a 500gb ssd during the holidays for my main games and everything else on a external. With just the one drive I would need 1Tb or bigger and at that size ssds are just to expensive.

This paired with external hard drive support would be perfect. I would try and find a good deal on a 500gb ssd during the holidays for my main games and everything else on a external. With just the one drive I would need 1Tb or bigger and at that size ssds are just to expensive.

You can't do this with a PS4. I need a good deal on a 1TB SSD or I won't bother for a while.

Yeah, I'll be getting one too.

I thought you were joking the first time you said this, but apparently you are serious.

ethomaz

Banned
I want to go with max SSD I can next year.

$225 1TB OCZ Trion 150
$630 2TB Samsung 850 EVO

If I can get this OCZ for less than $200 next year I will be happy.

AmyS

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but will games installed on an SSD in PS4 Pro actually load faster automatically, or would that only be for PS4 Pro enhanced games?

dEvAnGeL

this is something i'll believe when the console is out and put to the test, if this ends up being true than Sony are seriously stupid not to mention this on the conference when the pro was announced

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but will games installed on an SSD in PS4 Pro actually load faster automatically, or would that only be for PS4 Pro enhanced games?

All games should see improvement, but it will vary depending on the title. Has nothing to do with Pro enhancement.

this is something i'll believe when the console is out and put to the test, if this ends up being true than Sony are seriously stupid not to mention this on the conference when the pro was announced

I think it is great for sure, but I don't think too many consumers will be interested in buying storage that cost more than half the price of the console on the low end. Regular HDD won't see much of a benefit. Sony has done a poor job explaining everything Pro related though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

While not an SSD, I can tell you from personal experience that simply changing the PS3's stock drive to a 7200 RPM drive had a noticeable improvement in just about every thing about it. From the XMB loading to game installing, the most benefit was in PSN games or games which install a chunk of the data to the HDD.

I can imagine the SSD will be even better than that in general operations in PS4, unless they still continue to route the data through the USB 2.0 port.

eVbBcSR.png

Who's with me? I don't want to be the only one.

This is the only thing holding me back from buying a new PC. I bought mine with a small SSD five and a half years ago, and am waiting for an affordable 4TB+ SSD before building a new one. I'm not going through another 5 years of managing multiple drives. No way I'm paying more than $500 for a drive though, let alone $1400 lol

Regarding SSDs in the Pro, this is a huge plus, and I'm amazed they aren't making bigger news about it. Open world games like Skyrim, Horizon, and FFXV will benefit immensely from this upgrade. I'll be very eager to read reviews about how SSDs perform.

LordOfChaos

Meh, 2.5 SATA SSD is for old people. It's all about m.2 Nvme SSD now.

SATA III SSDs just hit the price point where they hold more appeal for 8th gen console storage, m.2 NVMe ones are significantly more expensive, and likely would be limited by other factors like the CPU first...Besides, baby steps for the console makers, lol.

longdi

Banned
I saw a benchmark where SSHD is not always faster than a normal HD. Somehow the larger platter and cache sizes can equalise the SSD cache. Imo it is SSD or burst, though the new 2.5" 2TB firecuda may make one reconsider.

2TB is all you will need.

twisted89

While not an SSD, I can tell you from personal experience that simply changing the PS3's stock drive to a 7200 RPM drive had a noticeable improvement in just about every thing about it. From the XMB loading to game installing, the most benefit was in PSN games or games which install a chunk of the data to the HDD.

I can imagine the SSD will be even better than that in general operations in PS4, unless they still continue to route the data through the USB 2.0 port.

Do we have confirmation that the pro won't use a 7200rpm drive?

That's too big for a PS4
I'm certain that was a joke post, but thanks for playing. :D

I am glad this thread exists, but it doesn't make the storage drive decision any easier. The Firecuda seems to be the best option for money-per-MB, but SSDs are going to offer better speeds. I'm certain I'll be pulling the trigger on a new storage drive days before the Pro comes out, but I am not committed to any one technology yet.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm certain that was a joke post, but thanks for playing. :D

I am glad this thread exists, but it doesn't make the storage drive decision any easier. The Firecuda seems to be the best option for money-per-MB, but SSDs are going to offer better speeds. I'm certain I'll be pulling the trigger on a new storage drive days before the Pro comes out, but I am not committed to any one technology yet.

Black Friday and all the other assorted Holiday sales are coming up so I have no doubt you will be able to find a decently priced 1 TB SSD drive around then.

Kilau

Guess I'll just move my 1TB 850 from my current PS4 into the pro and wait and see if there is a big improvement.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
having an ssd is cool and awesome but you really need to question if it's truly worth it when the cost of a 1TB is roughly 70% of the price of a PS4 Pro. what a total waste of money. £250 for storage, £350 for the ps4 it self, and £300-500 for a 4K tv and you aren't even playing at 4K (in most games lol) you'd be cheaper buying a PC for goodness sake if you care so much about performance. some must just have more money than sense i guess.

Kilau

having an ssd is cool and awesome but you really need to question if it's truly worth it when the cost of a 1TB is roughly 70% of the price of a PS4 Pro. what a total waste of money. £250 for storage, £350 for the ps4 it self, and £300-500 for a 4K tv and you aren't even playing at 4K (in most games lol) you'd be cheaper buying a PC for goodness sake if you care so much about performance. some must just have more money than sense i guess.

I have never paid MSRP for an SSD, and I use them in my gaming PC also.

Top Bottom