• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get your SSDs ready, PS4 Pro supports SATA3

Well, as I'm getting a Pro at launch I guess getting an SSD could be a useful thing to do. Now, do I have the confidence to take my Pro apart and put it in?

I currently have this drive in my PS4
Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive
Im trading in my PS4 to get the PS4 PRO so there is really no point in me getting rid of this drive since it works just fine. I just wanted to be sure this drive would work in the PS4 PRO..for me the speed is fine I know SSD would be super fast but they are so expensive especially for a 2TB so unless I could get one for around the same price I got my 2TB I wont buy one but just wanted to be sure I could swap the PS4 PRO hard drive for the one that I have

gbland

Well I fucked up a laptop once when I changed its drive. But it does seem the PS4 is easier to get into. Guess it's no problem.

FYI ps4 Pro hard drive is literally a slot now that you can pull out. You don't have to take off the faceplate and unscrew it like in the original model.

I currently have this drive in my PS4
Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Notebook Hard Drive Bare Drive
Im trading in my PS4 to get the PS4 PRO so there is really no point in me getting rid of this drive since it works just fine. I just wanted to be sure this drive would work in the PS4 PRO..for me the speed is fine I know SSD would be super fast but they are so expensive especially for a 2TB so unless I could get one for around the same price I got my 2TB I wont buy one but just wanted to be sure I could swap the PS4 PRO hard drive for the one that I have

Yes. It will work in the Pro as well.

Yes. It will work in the Pro as well.

Great thanks just wanted to be sure since Im planning on trading in my PS4 with the 500GB so wanted to make sure that the Samsung M003 drive that I have would work with the PRO..I know it wont be as fast as SSD obviously but for me its enough and Im not willing to spend a few hundred dollars more for faster speed

Shaanyboi

Banned
So what are the steps for replacing the hard drive right out of the box when the Pro comes out? Is there any kind of transfer that needs to be done?

Could SSD improve texture streamimg as well?
I have NFI how texture streaming works, but I'd imagine they're copied from the HDD into RAM on the fly, in which case having way faster reads from an SSD should definitely speed that process up.

So what are the steps for replacing the hard drive right out of the box when the Pro comes out? Is there any kind of transfer that needs to be done?
Going by previous PlayStations, you'll need to have the right firmware saved to a USB I think? That was the case with the PS3, I can't recall if that's definitely the case with the PS4 as well. I changed my PS4 HDD on launch day, so it's been a while.

demazin

I wonder if the FireCuda is the only reliable product from Seagate. But what I like is, is that the FireCuda has a 5 year warranty to go along with it. If it can be had for $120 and be a reliable drive, then fuck yeah getting one.

I do wonder if they will be out before November 10th (PS4 Pro release date).

It has a release date of October 21st in Japan so might be out earlier everywhere else?
I'm definitely getting one.

A novice question

Will only digital installed games taked advatange of the ssd speed or also games that are played from the disc?

Might consider a 512gb SSD for my physical collection

All of your games are installed, even physical.

I see, so when a physical game is installed, is it even using the disc when it runs the game or is it exactly the same thing as having a digital game installed? Sorry If OT but pre ordered ps4p jumping Into gen 8..

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I see, so when a physical game is installed, is it even using the disc when it runs the game or is it exactly the same thing as having a digital game installed? Sorry If OT but pre ordered ps4p jumping Into gen 8..

Nope. The disc becomes just a check to let you play after initial install.

Rellik

Awesome. I'll look into getting one that isn't Samsung since I've had really bad experiences with their Evo series.

n0razi

Yeah, I edited my post.

For anyone curious, Z170 motherboards have the PCIe M.2 slot, like this:

You stick one of these badass motherfuckers in:

and there you go. Not going to work on a PS4.

Yeah, that's what the fast SSDs look like now instead of bricks.

You can use an m2 to SATA adapter.. its gonna be bottlenecked to SATA speeds but it will work

Shoeless

So what's the general feeling on this news for people looking to upgrade? Is it safe to start shopping for an SSD now in anticipation of a performance upgrade, or is it better to wait for the DF analysis to see whether or not this actually will boost things on the Pro?

Hesemonni

Banned
So what's the general feeling on this news for people looking to upgrade? Is it safe to start shopping for an SSD now in anticipation of a performance upgrade, or is it better to wait for the DF analysis to see whether or not this actually will boost things on the Pro?
Shop when it's confirmed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Wait for real tests.
It's not as if SSD prices will go up.

I'm going to be selling my loud old PS4 as soon as I get the Pro so tell me if this will work:

1) Back up old PS4 (2TB) to external drive
2) Remove old PS4 HDD and put in the Pro
3) Format 2TB drive for Pro
4) Restore backup from external drive
5) Put tiny 500GB drive back in old PS4 before selling

I'm going to be selling my loud old PS4 as soon as I get the Pro so tell me if this will work:

Yes.

I'm using the stock 500GB drive in my PS4 but was thinking about upgrading to a 2TB so I don't have to manage space as much. Now I'm considering an SSD.

Can someone help me understand the real difference in speed here?

For example, when loading a save in the Witcher 3 it literally take a full minute, maybe even more. Its insane (although after that load times aren't terrible but still annoying).

Would something like the Samsung Evo SSD cut that load time in half? More? Other than big load times like that, what other performance improvements would I see?

There's still a pretty price big difference between a 1TB SSD ($300) and a 2TB HDD for $100 or so.

Shoeless

Wait for real tests.
It's not as if SSD prices will go up.

Fair enough. I'll wait. My only real concern with getting an SSD ahead of time is that I'm pretty much digital this generation, so if I get an SSD after I get a Pro, it means re-downloading whatever games I already put there, and my particular Internet service plan does have a monthly cap.

Still, I'd rather know for sure the SSD will actually do something than buy it for nothing.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Will be doing this day 1. Moving my 512GB SSD from the og PS4, into my new precious.

Every second matters...when you are a parent.
I'd rather have capacity and save hours of redownloading. I'll probably stick with my 2TB standard unless I can get a minimum of 1TB SSD for a reasonable price.

Fair enough. I'll wait. My only real concern with getting an SSD ahead of time is that I'm pretty much digital this generation, so if I get an SSD after I get a Pro, it means re-downloading whatever games I already put there, and my particular Internet service plan does have a monthly cap.

Still, I'd rather know for sure the SSD will actually do something than buy it for nothing.

SSD already does something with the base PS4 depending on the game. Should be much faster if this news is accurate. Definitely wait for comparisons though.

I'd rather have capacity and save hours of redownloading. I'll probably stick with my 2TB standard unless I can get a minimum of 1TB SSD for a reasonable price.

If I can get 1TB SSD for around $150 during holiday sales I'll sacrifice the capacity. I was excited about the 2TB Firecuda, but after doing some research that 8GB of flash memory is not impressive at all. Needs to be about 64GB.

SSD already does something with the base PS4 depending on the game. Should be much faster if this news is accurate. Definitely wait for comparisons though.

If I can get 1TB SSD for around $150 during holiday sales I'll sacrifice the capacity. I was excited about the 2TB Firecuda, but after doing some research that 8GB of flash memory is not impressive at all. Needs to be about 64GB.

Most hybrid drives are 5600. This one is 7200 which is why it is faster than regular hybrids. More flash memory would be nice but it's still a VERY fast drive. The combination of 7200 and flash memory overall is a good, fast drive.

farisr

Most hybrid drives are 5600. This one is 7200 which is why it is faster than regular hybrids. More flash memory would be nice but it's still a VERY fast drive. The combination of 7200 and flash memory overall is a good, fast drive.
The 2.5 inch Firecuda drives, the ones that will fit in the PS4 are all 5400RPM (including the new 2TB one), their 3.5 inch desktop variants are 7200.

Fisty

How about this? Could this work?

1) Take SSD out of PS4 vanilla with lots of game data
2) Put SSD in PS4Pro without having to format
3) ????
4)Profit

I heard it doesn't mandatory format every time you swap drives like PS3 anymore, so does that work across different PS4s?

twisted89

Didn't someone claim a while back that the ps4 sata was actually running on the USB bus hence why it was so slow? Wouldn't surprise me if there was a similar scenario with the pro and we won't get full 6GB/s.

Could this work?

1) Take SSD out of PS4 vanilla with lots of game data
2) Put SSD in PS4Pro without having to format

No.

Everything I've seen/read/experienced says it will have to be reformatted when you put it in the Pro. Would love to be wrong.

Top Bottom