• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell |OT| I was born in the sea of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trokil

Banned
ctNfCl9.jpg

Ghost in the Shell is the latest anime adaptation by Hollywood featuring Scarlett Johansson. But unlike previous attempts we shall not talk about, this time it not only includes a lead with a huge name, but also has the budget of a big production.

Plot:

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Trailer 3

First 5 minutes

eCcb9rh.jpg

The whole universe of Ghost in the Shell is based on the manga of Masamune Shirow. Shirow used to be known for his dystopian futuristic mangas like Appleseed, Dominion Tank Police or Ghost in the Shell. Today however he is more active in the field of hentai and kinky stuff.

bw4H8EU.jpg

The movie is visually heavily influenced by 1995 anime adaption of the Manga directed by Mamoru Oshii. This movie is still regarded as one of the best anime movies and also as an interesting vision of a future where humanity and technology start to merge. Mamoru Oshii was also an adviser for the Hollywood movie and even parts of the original soundtrack were included.

NsOLHvn.jpg

The plot of the movie not only took inspiration from the Anime, but also from the Stand Alone Complex series, which was released from 2002 till 2005. If you are interested in the Ghost in the Shell universe, this is a god starting point, because it not only shows a lot more of the universe than the anime or even the manga, it also included a lot of very interesting topics which are becoming more and more relevant as technology progresses.

DjxGTbK.jpg

The Ghost in the Shell universe also includes several other adaptations, like a second anime movie, a series titled Arise, tons of art books and several videogames.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Who is playing Togusa in the live action movie?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I hope its good, or at least watchable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
For what is worth, Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor is a really solid book.

dMPd34N.jpg

It came out right before Shirow losing his damn mind to well oiled CGI puffies.

s_mirage

For what is worth, Ghost in the Shell 1.5: Human-Error Processor is a really solid book.

dMPd34N.jpg

It came out right before Shirow lost his damn mind to well oiled CGI puffies.

I agree. It's a much more grounded, police procedural kind of manga, and it actually makes sense. Man Machine Interface was pretty but urgh...

I'm looking to buy the manga in Spanish stores but I cannot find it anywhere. Only a new edition in amazon.es with a black cover

51qmqp1%2BIuL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.es/dp/8416543798/

I hope it's easier for you guys to get the comic in other countries.

Where do you live? It would seem strange you couldnt go into any manga store from Barcelona, Valencia or Madrid and find it easily. Or maybe planeta comics wasnt half assed to reedit it, but that seems strange also with the movie coming.

marmoka

Banned
Where do you live? It would seem strange you couldnt go into any manga store from Barcelona, Valencia or Madrid and find it easily. Or maybe planeta comics wasnt half assed to reedit it, but that seems strange also with the movie coming.

I'm in Madrid. I checked in about 5 stores this weekend (Madrid Comics, FNAC, Elektra, and 2 more stores) and nothing. I checked Planeta Comics website and the manga appears in the novelties list. Perhaps they started distributing it this week, I will check today just in case.

Shandy

I agree. It's a much more grounded, police procedural kind of manga, and it actually makes sense. Man Machine Interface was pretty but urgh...

MMI is special in how intolerable it is. Every time I read it, I go in thinking "This time, for sure, I'll like it." It never happens. Although, unlike you, I don't find it particularly attractive, either.

Trokil

Banned
MMI is special in how intolerable it is. Every time I read it, I go in thinking "This time, for sure, I'll like it." It never happens. Although, unlike you, I don't find it particularly attractive, either.

It happens, the second anime was not that good either. They can not all be winners.

Ran rp

Yikes. I keep forgetting Arise is a thing when recommending the series to people. Guess I need to specify SAC now...

Uzzy

Please be good. I'm not expecting it to match up to SAC or the original movie, but if it's not embarrassing then I'll be ok with that.

Woz

I'm in Madrid. I checked in about 5 stores this weekend (Madrid Comics, FNAC, Elektra, and 2 more stores) and nothing. I checked Planeta Comics website and the manga appears in the novelties list. Perhaps they started distributing it this week, I will check today just in case.
I bought it in Alicante in 2005 and never read since I found it later in Italian and it's in very good condition. If you want, I could send it to you.
Just the shipping costs.

Bought a Dolby Atmos ticket for Thursday night. I'm expecting cool visuals and not much else so I hope it at least manages that.

WeskerXXI

I'm looking to buy the manga in Spanish stores but I cannot find it anywhere. Only a new edition in amazon.es with a black cover

51qmqp1%2BIuL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.es/dp/8416543798/

I hope it's easier for you guys to get the comic in other countries.
That's the latest reprint by Planeta, so it should be in stores now or arriving soon.

Keep in mind though, it looks like this is based on the original USA release so its missing an explicit sex scene (2 pages), that was present in the previous spanish release. I'm not about to scream "censorship" or anything, but I myself was looking forward to this edition and it rubs me the wrong way that is not as "complete" as the previous ones.

On the plus side, this edition uses the japanese reading order, that's a first for GitS in Spain I think.

marmoka

Banned
That's the latest reprint by Planeta, so it should be in stores now or arriving soon.

Keep in mind though, it looks like this is based on the original USA release so its missing an explicit sex scene (2 pages), that was present in the previous spanish release. I'm not about to scream "censorship" or anything, but I myself was looking forward to this edition and it rubs me the wrong way that is not as "complete" as the previous ones.

On the plus side, this edition uses the japanese reading order, that's a first for GitS in Spain I think.

I read somewhere that Masamune himself asked please not to include that scene in the new release, and Japanese editors always respect these petitions. I don't know if we should call this "censorship" or not, but whatever, we have internet and that scene will be hosted somewhere, haha.

Trokil

Banned
I read somewhere that Masamune himself asked please not to include that scene in the new release, and Japanese editors always respect these petitions. I don't know if we should call this "censorship" or not, but whatever, we have internet and that scene will be hosted somewhere, haha.

Why? He creates a lot stranger stuff than that scene today.

WeskerXXI

Yes, I was about to edit my post to specify that. I know it's a change made by Shirow himself and I don't think its censorship.

I don't really care about the content of the scene really, but it still bugs me that something was removed, even if by the author's wish.

Why? He creates a lot stranger stuff than that scene today.
I also find it strange/funny that Shirow removed that now, given his latest works XD

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That scene was straight up hentai. For 2 pages you forgot you were reading GitS. lol
There's one that's even more detailed in the Japanese release of the sequel manga (Man-Machine Interface), lol. Two pages of an explicit bareback penetration threesome scene that ends on a creampie. Shirow re-drew the whole thing and made it SFW for the international release there too.

spekkeh

Banned
DeMorgen.be calls it an empty shell, lacking humanity, oh the irony.

I don't think this will review well. Still going to watch it for the pretty scenery. ScarJo I mean.

Mindwipe

Comixology have a sale on digital copies of GitS and Stand Alone Complex at the moment. GitS is pretty damned cheap.

Not to be a contrarian, but people are talking about this movie. I think it'll do fine. Nothing special, but I betting it's no flop.

All publicity is good publicity, right?

Ready for Thursday night's showing. Big fan of the first anime movie and Stand Alone Complex...Arise was alright. I expect a mash of anime plots with a couple of decent action sequences.

This is like GAFs mantra, regardless of how many times it's proven to be untrue

🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

Yes. Us, the collective GAF, have learned time and time again.

I'm messing around. I'm just not in every thread so I suppose this is my time to learn the lesson. Besides... I think the movie looks really really good. I'll probs see it Friday and I'll let y'all know how busy it is. Obviously that won't tell much about long term but it'll be interesting.

(Those stupid emojis didn't come through as intended...)

I am just hoping it wont be bombing as hard as Mass Effect Andromeda...

Is it not selling well!? I figured it was a commercial success but a critical meh.

Pachimari

I'm excited for the movie for sure. I didn't like Ghost in the Shell (1995) as I understood nothing, but I'm gonna give it a rewatch this week, and then I'm gonna follow that up with Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

I'm gonna quote this here so I can remember to read this explanation of the first movie:

The storyline is actually pretty simple.

Section 6 created an AI to play with foreign affairs in favor of Japan (or other type of interests...mostly through ghost-hacking). Project 2501. The film starts with one of the programmers trying to flee the country (through political asylum). Section 9 is called into action, takes control of the situation and kills him (while Section 6 wanted to get him).

The plot gets going, there's someone hacking minister interpreters, the Pupper Master. They think the hacker is the garbageman (who's performing some ghost hacks), only to discover he himself had been hacked and was a puppet too. Meanwhile, Kusanagi has started to dive deep into the web and the Pupper Master takes interest in her.

Later, a cybernetic body is assembled at Megatech without approval and he gets caught by Section 9. It is the pupper master who has uploaded itself to it. Section 6 goes there cause they can't allow the information he carries to leak, they say they created a Project (2501) to capture him and he is stuck in that body. Section 9 discovers they are lying (Project 2501 is the Puppet Master, as he himself claims, a new sentient life form awoken through the accumulation of data). They go after him, Kusanagi fucks shit up, gets a hold of him, connects to the Pupper Master and soon discovers that's what he wanted all along cause he himself wants to preserve his existence but is incomplete as he only is able to copy himself but cant do what all organisms can, reproduce and die. He tells Kusanagi to let him merge with her so they can become a new type of conscience.. The film ends with a new form of life born. That's mostly it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom