• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend from Oct 12-16th and 50% Sale for PVP Launch

kanaka

Neo Member
How repetitive or boring is the world when playing by myself, not coop? Heard it can get kinda repetitive after a while, but not sure if the sense of "copypaste" is too strong among buildings/missions/world.

Definitely will give a try if 4v4 can be as intense as it sounds (but it saddens me you will not use the full map in the matches, kinda like a huge missed opportunity there).

____

How repetitive or boring is the world when playing by myself, not coop? Heard it can get kinda repetitive after a while, but not sure if the sense of "copypaste" is too strong among buildings/missions/world.

Definitely will give a try if 4v4 can be as intense as it sounds (but it saddens me you will not use the full map in the matches, kinda like a huge missed opportunity there).

It’s got its own kind of fun however you choose to play it. And you can mix it up seamlessly whenever you want.

The map thing is also not so bad - there’s a pretty big chunk of map for a 4v4 in the ones I’ve played so far. I’m having a blast.

If you haven't tried GR Wildlands yet, do it, even if just for a couple hours... Load up the game, turn off the HUD, and just go around exploring.

The game has great world design: the mountains, valleys, rivers, diverse topography and biomes, and interestingly detailed towns, factories, and farms.

Game is great at co-op, too, and I think the PvP while be good in a sort of SOCOM style way...

But the game is also an awesome single-player, no HUD Operation Flashpoint/ARMA/MGS V style game for just traversing the landscape, scouting your target, and making your approach. It's 90% scouting, planning, and approach/10% watching your execution.

Foxxsoxx

After a while it definitely does get repetitive, and environmentally it's pretty samey with the jungle/desert setting. Still, content wise, there is an absolute ton to do. I'm maybe halfway through right now and if I never played it again I'd say it was worthwhile even without beating the game.

A dislike I have is that enemies are basically the same as they are at the start, it never really changes from that. You might get bases with a lot more people, but it's always the same types of enemies.

kanaka

Neo Member
The map thing is also not so bad - there's a pretty big chunk of map for a 4v4 in the ones I've played so far. I'm having a blast.
Gonna give it a try thos free weekend then, thanks!

After a while it definitely does get repetitive, and environmentally it's pretty samey with the jungle/desert setting. Still, content wise, there is an absolute ton to do. I'm maybe halfway through right now and if I never played it again I'd say it was worthwhile even without beating the game.

A dislike I have is that enemies are basically the same as they are at the start, it never really changes from that. You might get bases with a lot more people, but it's always the same types of enemies.
It almost sounds like the first Assasins Creed when I played it, amazing the first city, and later long after I realized I had been doing the same thing like 9 times in 9 different similar cities

uocooper

I found it to be great fun to play alone. It's a surprisingly good stealth game if you choose to play it that way.

I downloaded it for PS4 yesterday and used the 4 hour demo option. I'll never touch PvP but the single player part was a ton of fun and I'll be buying it for sure. You're absolutely right about the stealth aspect.

Huge SOCOM addict, catching up on what this game is all about and it looks to be the closest we are gonna get to a SOCOM type experience. Can anyone who was a fan of that game confirm if this kinda scratches that itch? Really excited about a 3rd person team based tactical shooter.

Huge Socom fan,
literally my only comparison complaints

1. Maps obviously don't hold a candle to Socom
2. Run'n'gun isn't as viable as it was on some Socom maps.

This is definitely the most near Socom we will get, it feels so good.

So you gave up right before the holiday sales?
I couldn't wait that long regardless, I had already Redboxed it multiple times and the PVP beta just destroyed any further patience I had waiting for one.

My only "problem" in that sense is the setting was a very poor choice, it just feels very been there done that (in this very genre)
Mercenaries 2
Just Cause
Personally think Wildlands 2 being set in North Korea(also Mercenaries 1's location) is probably the perfect direction to go.

I've probably have entire days worth of playtime just flying around collecting guns and attachments solo and that never got old,
Main Ops are also fine alone,
Rebel supply stuff gets very boring after a few though, I just do them for required upgrades now.

Gowans

Just picked up the version with the season pass for 50% off.

Can't wait, emptied my 5 hour trial on the PvP over the last couple of days.

Demicore

At the risk of repeating myself; are chopper controls as unwieldy still, and are ai partners still cheating (basically ignoring line of sight etc)?

I've only played the patched version so I don't know how the controls used to be, but I did find them very fluid and intuitive.

Gonna give it a try thos free weekend then, thanks!

It almost sounds like the first Assasins Creed when I played it, amazing the first city, and later long after I realized I had been doing the same thing like 9 times in 9 different similar cities

It is far far far more varied than that. The world is fantastic.

Is this a fun game to not take seriously, or do you need to be really tactical and efficient to get through it?

I like the look of it, especially the co-op, but I always prefer co-op games that you can screw around in and sort of fumble your way through; where things go hilariously pear-shaped.

____

Is this a fun game to not take seriously, or do you need to be really tactical and efficient to get through it?

I like the look of it, especially the co-op, but I always prefer co-op games that you can screw around in and sort of fumble your way through; where things go hilariously pear-shaped.

This is the game for that.

This is the game for that.

Oooh.
I could be interested then. It seems like a perfect game to play over Christmas, when I have a bit more free time.

HAZE was genuinely one of my favourite games of last gen just due to how stupid it could get when you purposefully tried to screw around and break it as much as you could in co-op.

Do you have to do something to download for the free weekend? It's showing as full price for me in the PSN store

Edit: Jk, I see the full game trial now

Ponchito

I don’t see the game with 50% off on the PSN store. I downloaded a demo but I don’t see anything about free play weekend. Am I missing something?

I don't see the game with 50% off on the PSN store. I downloaded a demo but I don't see anything about free play weekend. Am I missing something?

I had to find it on the website because the store on the console is showing as full price still. There was a "full game trial" button on the page.

Try this link? That was were it showed up for me anyway. Took more fiddling than it should have to find it.

That's all I got for finding the free weekend thing. No idea what's up with the 50 percent off cause that's not showing up for me anywhere.

Burt

That $15 on Amazon deal is tempting. Probably gonna wait to see how the multiplayer plays in a few hours before I dive in, though. Hopefully it doesn't expire soon.

Dabanton

If you haven't tried GR Wildlands yet, do it, even if just for a couple hours... Load up the game, turn off the HUD, and just go around exploring.

The game has great world design: the mountains, valleys, rivers, diverse topography and biomes, and interestingly detailed towns, factories, and farms.

Game is great at co-op, too, and I think the PvP while be good in a sort of SOCOM style way...

But the game is also an awesome single-player, no HUD Operation Flashpoint/ARMA/MGS V style game for just traversing the landscape, scouting your target, and making your approach. It's 90% scouting, planning, and approach/10% watching your execution.

All this. It’s why I love it. The scouting and planning is my fave part especially infiltrating a base and raising no alarms.

sikkinixx

BUMMer. I was waiting to play a bit before I made a call on $15 and now it’s up to $30.

Well I’ll enjoy it for a few days and won’t buy. Sorry Ubi. $30 too rich for my blood.

Any limitations on the free trial weekend? Or is it all available? I am downloading on Steam right now. Seeing the Socom mentions got my hyped to try it. Have always been a Ghost Recon fan.

AlexBasch

The lack of a retry option here is driving me nuts. I keep trying to pull off perfect stealth approaches but then I get found and try to kill everyone in sight before I get taken out and have to see my character lying in there doing nothing until it bleeds to death or someone revives me. Repeat over and over because I feel my character clunky and unprecise.

Not dissing the game or anything, it seems to be perfect for fans of tactical team-based shooters, but thanks to this trial now I know I'm giving it a hard pass. Almost did an impulse buy the other day at Amazon, but again, the trials are awesome to get to know the game first.

Glad it's doing great, it seems it's a good game but not quite my style.

I am having a decent amount of fun here. Co-op missions is where its at. Can be really fun if you got a good group. Game is beautiful. A lot to do although a bit of rinse and repeat over and over. The PvP I played one match and didn't really stand out but will waste more time with that maybe on the last day of free weekend. Not sure I would buy the game to be honest. Just too much else out there to play and I can't say I am entirely sold yet.

Top Bottom