• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostlight is asking if we would like to see more JRPGs on PC

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
So all they can do are things brought here first?

How did agarest 1 come to europe first?

We outsourced the translation I believe. I was only a tester in those days so I wasn't really involved in that side of things. If the first batch of games we're looking at were to do well though then we might be able to look at other options.

We outsourced the translation I believe. I was only a tester in those days so I wasn't really involved in that side of things. If the first batch of games we're looking at were to do well though then we might be able to look at other options.

So you can only do things that have been localized?

hmmm that makes things harder for me to think off since I am not sure what hasnt been brought over.

You could always continue to leach atlus, aksys, nis

LTWheels

As a European and PC user I support this. I believe there is a market on the PC. There are plenty of JRPGs that I have been interested yet never played due to not having the system they were on or never were released in the UK. Having them available as a digital download on the PC would be extremely convenient.

The PC community can be very welcoming and loyal if effort is put into the port. Word spreads quickly if the port is found to be of poor quality. (Just look how quickly there are complaints for locked FoV, locked at 30 etc)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm really curious to see what Ghostlight would port, and from where... PSP to PC ports would especially be awesome...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad they didn't get Persona 4 Arena considering the uncertainty of that hitting Europe in a timely fashion.

Eusis

Could this result in better ports of the Falcom games that aren't on PC (though given they ARE experienced there I imagine they'd be best still)? Or collaborative efforts with others with no PC presence like Atlus? And they'll get international releases? Then by all means YES YES YES. Don't mind playing on consoles at all, but sometimes policies or the marketplace are too antagonistic to their release.

7threst

I'm really curious to see what Ghostlight would port, and from where... PSP to PC ports would especially be awesome...

That's what I got out of it but is something like that possible for a publisher like Ghostlight to pull off I wonder. I mean, something like that requires expertise, time and money after all and Ghostlight is pretty small.

Do want though. The more people get to play awesome games, the better imo.

zulux21

hmmm would I like to see more of a genre of game that I feel is severally lacking on the PC. The genre that if it starts getting regular PC releases I can likely skip getting the ps4/xbox3/wiiu until the 3rd price cut or so...

*watches his wallet trying to scurry away from the idea of being abused for PC JRPGs*

my wallet says no, but I say bring it on, I would happily give Ghostlight my money, especially if they get their games on gog or steam where I can easily keep track of them.

Keep in mind that it is unlikely that Ghostlight could port to PC games starting from scratch at the moment.

Their first step will most likely be to bring over games that already have an English translation and an existing PC version that would need some tweaking to run on modern PC (Trails in the Sky FC is the perfect example of this). Then if that proves successful they would move on to games that have an existing PC version that is yet to be translated (Trails SC and 3rd for example). Only after that is proven to be successful it would be possible to think about converting console games to PC as it is an enormous and very difficult task.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
Keep in mind that it is unlikely that Ghostlight could port to PC games starting from scratch at the moment.

Their first step will most likely be to bring over games that already have an English translation and an existing PC version that would need some tweaking to run on modern PC (Trails in the Sky FC is the perfect example of this). Then if that proves successful they would move on to games that have an existing PC version that is yet to be translated (Trails SC and 3rd for example). Only after that is proven to be successful it would be possible to think about converting console games to PC as it is an enormous and very difficult task.

Actually I think that we are looking at some games which have never had a PC release. They do all have English translations though.

Eusis

Who the fuck would say no?
One of two thoughts:

1. People who are fiercely loyal to a platform, or at least want exclusivity without considering WHY exclusivity can be good for the consumer IE being able to take advantage of hardware in a way that can't be done when multiplatform, whether it's hardware quirks or what they can sell that they couldn't on others (which should never be an issue for a PC anyway, just Sony and Nintendo or whatever).

2. Those worried they may get a weak PC port over a good console/portable original, which I'm not TOO concerned about but I imagine is a legitimate possibility. To me so long as the original versions are around along with the lame PC port then it's only a good thing.

Jomjom

Banned
Got an awesome CE copy of Record of Agarest War for the PS3 from Ghostlight way back when, so they are good in my book.

Bring the entire ___ no Kiseki series out on PC please!

Ceebs

Would they be able to release them in NA as well or maybe get worldwide PC rights for some of the stuff they did not publish the console/handheld versions of?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm not European but I completely support this, especially if it means somehow getting the rest of TiTS out here in the States.

Shin megami tensei or Persona would be amazing but having any good console exclusive JRPG would be great.

I would be surprised if Atlus would be prepared to outsource any of their games for a PC port. Sure, they do have a presence on Steam, but that's all the US arm publishing other developers' games. I would be very, very surprised if any of the Atlus Japan developed RPGs are being considered.

RedSwirl

I've always felt like SMT's oldschool tendencies and Atlus' niche leanings in general were a good fit for the PC market. For the same reason I hope Dark Souls does well on PC.

One kind of game I've always wanted to see show up on the PC though is Japanese SRPGs. Imagine a PC version of FF Tactics or Knights in the Nightmare or something.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Lol, it's not like the PC is region locked, so the origin doesn't really matter, haha.
I don't PC game much. I figured they weren't region locked so as long as they can get it out for the UK, hey I'll be stoked. All we care about is getting some Sora/Zero/Ao no Kiseki goodness out of it.

Pyrrhus

Yeah, I think I'd like to play more jRPGs on PC, provided they're high quality games and get good ports. Not just any old Gust/imageepoch/Idea Factory thing is going to cut it, of course. Sorry, I know you sell some things of that nature, but I'd want things a little less... "otaku-driven" I guess is the word.

Instro

fTmZ5.jpg

Top Bottom