• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostlight is asking if we would like to see more JRPGs on PC

Digital Devil Saga 1&2 and Lucifer's Call/Nocturne with Steamworks support?

I'd preload any of these on Steam day one and I ALREADY OWN THEM.

And live in Canada right now, so it shows that you currently have a guy in North America that wants this too!

Lain

I'd like to see more JRPGs on PC, granted that those are interesting games and the port is well done. The right pricing would also be important.

Mory Dunz

I'm actually replaying The Last Remnant on PC right now. There's a lot of extra stuff that I didn't even know about the first time.

Very underrated game...for PC at least

Would like to see the DS 2 for the DS over here... I don't care about the DDS re-releases since I already have the PS2 originals.

You bring me good JRPGs in good condition, and you have my money.

I'm wondering if there's any beef from the publisher brass about this being on PC. Then again, any is a victory, and next gen may or may not be as "hospitible" to small to mid-sized retail games on consoles as this one has.

Ceebs

Yeah, I think I'd like to play more jRPGs on PC, provided they're high quality games and get good ports. Not just any old Gust/imageepoch/Idea Factory thing is going to cut it, of course. Sorry, I know you sell some things of that nature, but I'd want things a little less... "otaku-driven" I guess is the word.

This would be my opinion as well. You would want a game whose gameplay holds up independent of the usual anime fanservicey stuff that turns plenty of people off of the genre.

shiroryu

Yes please. Releasing them through Steam would be ideal. Playing The Last Remnant now on the PC and was wondering what other JRPGs I've missed either because they're X360 or they never made it to stores.

Durante

I posted on their blog. Having a good selection of JRPGs on PC would finally allow me to ignore consoles completely.

Yeah, I think I'd like to play more jRPGs on PC, provided they're high quality games and get good ports. Not just any old Gust/imageepoch/Idea Factory thing is going to cut it, of course.
Don't group Gust with those companies. They make very high quality, wholesome games. And I'd kill to play them on PC. Actually, considering how well Recettear did on Steam, the Atelier games would seem like a great fit.

Aru

Well I guess if most (or all) JRPG had a PC version, I'd be done with consoles :p
Handheld games would work on PC also. All games should have a PC version (this is coming from someone who only has an old notebook that can't run any game with good graphics; 3 consoles and 4 handhelds; a Mac).

redlemon

Yeah, I think I'd like to play more jRPGs on PC, provided they're high quality games and get good ports. Not just any old Gust/imageepoch/Idea Factory thing is going to cut it, of course. Sorry, I know you sell some things of that nature, but I'd want things a little less... "otaku-driven" I guess is the word.

I'd say Idea Factory is what you'd get though. At least to start off with. I believe some of their psp rpg's have android ports so I'd be betting they'd be the most receptive to letting another company port their games to PC.

kswiston

Don't group Gust with those companies. They make very high quality, wholesome games. And I'd kill to play them on PC. Actually, considering how well Recettear did on Steam, the Atelier games would seem like a great fit.

Gust still suffers from Otaku fan pandering. I really liked Atelier Totori. The story was a bit cutesy, but it was harmless and the alchemy system was fun and I enjoyed the relaxed approach to exploring and battles. However, the developers couldn't resist including a fan service swimsuit competition that included a couple of 13 year old characters (I think the rest were at least adults). It's bad enough when Atlus did something similar with their 17-18 year old characters in Persona 3-4. Most western gamers don't want that sort of stuff, and it just gives the genre a bad rep.

Durante

Gust still suffers from Otaku fan pandering. I really liked Atelier Totori. The story was a bit cutesy, but it was harmless and the alchemy system was fun and I enjoyed the relaxed approach to exploring and battles. However, the developers couldn't resist including a fan service swimsuit competition that included a couple of 13 year old characters (I think the rest were at least adults). It's bad enough when Atlus did something similar with their 17-18 year old characters in Persona 3-4. Most western gamers don't want that sort of stuff, and it just gives the genre a bad rep.
When the swimsuit competition happens in Totori (year 5) the youngest characters are 17 years old. They are 13 in year 1.

But that's besides the point really, since I fail to see how girls (of any age) in swimsuits are offensive.

Alex

it is heartwarming to see Ys Origins sitting towards the top of the Steam best seller list ATM. I hope Xseed makes some good money and this can become more of a thing.

UPDATE: Ghostlight Blog still NSFW :p

The response has been very positive apparently, they're moving forward.
They're also asking which games we would like to see more and they've been talking about the possibility of added retail collector's editions to be released alongside the digital releases.

Needless to say for me, I'm very happy at the prospect of dual retail / digital releases and the games I would like to see more are of course the Trails in the Sky sequels. Why don't you talk about it with XSeed on that one?

Other than that I'd really like to see some retrogames as well... something from the Ps1 - Ps2 era that is really hard to find now for example.

ZoddGutts

There's a bunch of other Falcom games that aren't Ys or Legend of Heroes games that could be published on Steam. Xanadu Next and Zweii II would be great games to publish. Also Gurumin assuming the license for the PC version is available. Anyone know if XSEED has the rights to publish all Ys games and Legend of Heroes?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's a bunch of other Falcom games that aren't Ys or Legend of Heroes games that could be published on Steam. Xanadu Next and Zweii II would be great games to publish. Also Gurumin assuming the license for the PC version is available. Anyone know if XSEED has the rights to publish all Ys games and Legend of Heroes?

Their partnership basically gives them right of first refusal.

And after the Steam sale, I don't see why they wouldn't keep releasing Falcom's PC games since Origin did extremely well as a flash deal, and Oath has been in and out of the top sellers all week.

UPDATE: Ghostlight Blog still NSFW :p

The response has been very positive apparently, they're moving forward.
They're also asking which games we would like to see more and they've been talking about the possibility of added retail collector's editions to be released alongside the digital releases.

Needless to say for me, I'm very happy at the prospect of dual retail / digital releases and the games I would like to see more are of course the Trails in the Sky sequels. Why don't you talk about it with XSeed on that one?

Other than that I'd really like to see some retrogames as well... something from the Ps1 - Ps2 era that is really hard to find now for example.

That's great. It would be cool if they ported the King's Field games to PC.

TheChaos

You bet. Although since the number of JRPGs already on PC is extremely small, would it be worth the effort for localizers to create an all-new PC port just for Western audiences?

I'm totally for the idea, but the games we got were from existing PC games. Would it cost a lot to make a new PC version?

ArjanN

UPDATE:

There was an update on the ghostlight blog 2 days ago:

Some of you might also remember that we mentioned in an earlier blog about bringing some JRPG’s to PC/Steam. It was certainly a popular idea . Well don’t worry we haven’t forgotten about it and I’ve just heard that we will be announcing our first game very soon. That doesn’t mean you can’t suggest titles for us to look into though as we’re still looking for more games to bring to the PC .

So, start your speculation. :p

P.s.
they're also releasing Maken Shao on PSN.

down like a clown, Charlie Brown. as an old pc nerd from way back it warms my heart to see so many Japanese devs and pubs exploring dd on my favourite platform.

Top Bottom