• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI #211: Resistance 3 info- Glorious return of the weapon wheel!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Spiegel said:
Do you guys don't accept Resistance Retribution as a true Resistance game or is there a reason why none of the events of that game is listed in the timeline?

It's absolutely canon and part of the series... this was just focused on the console games. Probably should've had it in there.

TacticalFox88 said:
So...wait. What the hell happened to the US Army? There's no "official" agency resistanting the Chimera?

SRPA resist...ances...the chimera. Though is SRPA pretty much non-existent in R3? I'm assuming things didn't go so well for them after the events of that game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
After reading the time line i think im gonna replay both games.

Melchiah

Lagspike_exe said:
No matter how good the singleplayer campaign is, you won't play through it more than a few times. 8 man coop was all about re-playability.

I've played RFoM's campaign through 4 times by myself, and 3 times with friend. Would have played the co-op campaign more, but haven't had the chance to hold a play night with those friends for a long time.

Melchiah said:
I've played RFoM's campaign through 4 times by myself, and 3 times with friend. Would have played the co-op campaign more, but haven't had the chance to hold a play night with those friends for a long time.

Cool for you, but you are far above the average.

Synless

vissione said:
I fear for the Resistance IP going forward now. This made any excitement I had for R3 vanish.
Resistance 2 was a good game. It wasn't "great", but it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. You could do far far worse.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
vissione said:
I fear for the Resistance IP going forward now. This made any excitement I had for R3 vanish.

Not sure what you expect: put two full years into it, did some really new stuff, jammed the box full of gameplay and modes, and we reviewed and sold very well worldwide. What else should we say?

We certainly saw things we could improve upon- which is why are being more focused on R3 and taking more time so we can have even more polish and iteration time.

Melchiah

GraveRobberX said:
Did you even play R2 co-op?

That thing was an amazing experience. I put in endless hours into it. It could have been the start of a FPS-MMORPG done right if given time and resources.

Teamwork was key. Specs ammo dropped, Soldiers shielded, Medics healed. Could have ridiculous combination's. 5 specs, 2 soldiers, 1 medic, or 8 soldiers/medics/specs, the combination's alone were hilarious.

Which is exactly why I hated it, as two people couldn't play it offline.

jstevenson said:
Not sure what you expect: put two full years into it, did some really new stuff, jammed the box full of gameplay and modes, and we reviewed and sold very well worldwide. What else should we say?

We certainly saw things we could improve upon- which is why are being more focused on R3 and taking more time so we can have even more polish and iteration time.

Have the sales and reviews been around your predictions? Exceeded them/fail to meet the mark...?

Loudninja

Lagspike_exe I see your point but the single player is the biggest part for most people,I can see why they made the cut.R2 modes were not supported as they should be because they tried to do too much.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I think I'm the only person in the world that finished r2 campaign 27 times. I have stats to prove it...

the game just clicked with me, despite all the flaws and bugs it felt right and it was fun as hell to play. this is coming from a fps critic btw.

edit: I feel like replaying R2 chicago level <3

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont get it guys.
What do you expect? Do you expect some R2 Lead to say the game is trash? Saying that is saying that the work of another 100 people is trash.
When you work years in a game you learn to take the good and the bad, theyre rightfully proud of their work.

They been more open and sincere than every other dev out there about the shortcomings of their work,check the last podcast and you will see that they acknowledged most of our criticism as valid.

tl;dr: Theres a line between constructive criticism and just bashing.

Keep the good work guys.
* Pats IG back *

EDIT: Sorry for my english... im sleepy. -__-

jstevenson said:
This story is awesome - with some never before revealed tidbits about the Resistance timleline:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/10/15/the-official-resistance-series-timeline.aspx

so the freaky sky in R2 ending is a wormhole? anything worthwhile happened with it? or does it just disappear eventually on it's own and we'll never hear about it again in R3?

btw. that link just reminds me what's the problem with Resistance game story. it's Killzone 2 all over again, great interesting detailed backstory for the game world, but the actual game storyline only focus on the ongoing action, almost nothing about the overarching story (you have to read intel hidden in the game to get a glimpse of the world)

Resistance 1 is a bit better because of the narration in between levels that explain what's different in the game's universe, but the actual game storyline only mounts to 1 sentence in that website. R2 don't have the narration, the story focus on the ongoing mission, for anyone that missed the intel completely and unaware of these backstory, I imagine the story is going to be a bit dull and not very engaging.

btw, is there any explanation why Cappeli is such a violent douchebag? hitting superior officer etc, also what is operation bellerophon?

Yoboman

Is it me or is R3 slightly cel shaded?

resistance-3-20100928104058351.jpg

resistance-3-20100928104048805.jpg

resistance-3-20100928104106570.jpg

resistance-3-20100928104100523.jpg

Either way I'm loving the filters and colouring, so much better than the bland looking first two

Yoboman

Crakatak187 said:
Isn't that artwork though? If it had that style I'll be satisfied.
No I don't think so, they had concept art with those pictures as welll and it looks totally different

resistance-3-20100928104121647.jpg

resistance-3-20100928104108913.jpg
\

The 2D grass gives it away too... But I wouldn't be surprised if they were touched up like Resistance 2's early shots. Hopefully not

Yoboman

Based on the scans those environments I posted above seem to be from a multiplayer level in an African prison

Mad_Ban

Are we allowed to discuss scans?

EDIT
D. Copyrighted Material

The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.
Seems like talking about them is okay. :)

In which case, the picture on the bottom right of P60 gives me massive HL2 City-17 vibes. :D

Fersis

Nirolak said:
Discuss the content? Absolutely, we do that every Famitsu thread.

However dingbat here may want to edit his post to reflect my quote before I come back.
:lol

Sorry!
I remember being banned a year ago for posting a magazine scan. :lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yoboman said:
Is it me or is R3 slightly cel shaded?
I think they're hand painting over the phototextures to get that look, since outside of the film grain and the color grading it doesn't seem to be a post processing effect.

It looks really nice though.

Edit:

Except that first one where I think they were (blatantly) painting over the screenshot as well. :lol

Fersis

jstevenson said:
The two shots up close are cinematic shots... the environment ones are screenshots of the African Prison MP map.
We need to see it in motion JS.

Can we expect gameplay footage before 2011 ?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nirolak said:
Except that first one where I think they were (blatantly) painting over the screenshot as well. :lol
If you're talking about those blobs all over the picture, they are part of what the DOF looks like with older lenses, due to light leaks and imperfections. I hope they have realtime effect for that and it's not just CG for cutscene.

jstevenson said:
The two shots up close are cinematic shots... the environment ones are screenshots of the African Prison MP map.
Facial modeling and texturing is leaps and bounds above the previous two games. I look forward to seeing the animation :D

Deware80

Banned
jstevenson said:

I refuse to believe multiplayer actually looks that good. We need to see it in motion!

Mikey Jr.

Loudninja said:
Its been 4 years, and I am pretty sure living in that type of woudl woudl change you.

Ok, 4 years, even better. And Nathan Hale didn't change that drastically. He honestly looks like he's aged 20 years.

Btw, grammatical error already on front page of R3 info. Bleh. "ispocketed"? Come on now.

edit: Just wanted to say that the game looks great. Not trolling or anything here and am excited to see the MP.

MrPliskin

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, 4 years, even better. And Nathan Hale didn't change that drastically. He honestly looks like he's aged 20 years.

Btw, grammatical error already on front page of R3 info. Bleh. "ispocketed"? Come on now.
4 years in 1950's alien run, war torn earth. No one farming, no live stock, and probably not a lot of canned goods or frozen produce...pretty sure one would look like a sell of a man in 4 years, given the scarcity of food.

Loudninja

Mikey Jr. said:

edit: Just wanted to say that the game looks great. Not trolling or anything here and am excited to see the MP.

MrPliskin said:
4 years in 1950's alien run, war torn earth. No one farming, no live stock, and probably not a lot of canned goods or frozen produce...pretty sure one would look like a sell of a man in 4 years, given the scarcity of food.
Yeah this is what I mean, Hale did not live in the world Capelli lives now.Also Dude I know you not trolling no need to bring it up :)

Redbeard

Banned
That african prison MP map looks great

Huge step up in terms of artistic detail and lighting.

One can only hope that the weapon models, animation, iron sights, and post processing effects are up to snuff.

Put in R2 last night after playing a bunch of Halo Reach and it felt very bad to play in comparison.

dragonflys545 said:
They better have the awesome Resistance 2 online Co-op back. It was just so much fun!
I agree, it was the main reason I played R2. Having different classes and helping each other out was SO much fun.

Kittonwy said:
The art direction for the enemies is more coherent this time.
I hope they're still gaunt and creepy - they look a little bit more buffed up in some of what we've seen, and I don't know how to feel about that.

HOWEVER, I kind of like the idea that (as jstevenson said) humanity is suffering from malnutrition. Would be pretty fucking cool (and disturbing, and intelligent) if - as the Chimera terraform Earth and change its climate - they grow healthier-looking and it's the humans who start to look like just skin and bones.

Also, I'm just glad that the Widowmaker is back.

Top Bottom