• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI #211: Resistance 3 info- Glorious return of the weapon wheel!

Yoboman

TheSeks said:
Capelli, hands-down (hopefully his AI has been improved to come out into battles instead DERP SIT BACK WITH THE GAT AND SHIELD on harder difficulties. SMH @ Insomniac for that).

Rico's a douche that
shot the main bad-guy that could've prevented the war because his right-hand man shot his friend

Not to mention he flys off the handle too easy.

J and Insomniac: Please no online achievements/trophies this go around, or at least less insane ones if you REALLY need to put them in. (10K trophy says sup and prevents me from platinuming R2) If you made the achievement list not require online achievements, the multiplayer would stand on it's own and benefit hugely from not having to be boosted/etc. from trophy whores (like myself). I'd consider R3 just because of this, after how disappointing R2 was in the versus multiplayer.

In before GAF knee-jerk of "WHO CARES ABOUT ACHIEVEMENTS!?" I do. Dealwithit.gif and shut up. God.
You do realise he's the main character right?

JaseC said:
I don't consider supersampled screenshots to be bullshots. The vast majority of screenshots that hit the internet are downsampled from much larger ones intended for print and as such it's not as though developers are intending to misrepresent the image quality of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, bullshot territory begins with screenshots that aren't entirely composed with in-game assets.
maybe it's not such a big deal for games with decent anti-aliasing, but for sub-HD games with shit image quality, the bullshot can be totally misleading and even deceptive. Halo 3 and the early PS3 multiplat games come to mind.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
theignoramus said:
maybe it's not such a big deal for games with decent anti-aliasing, but for sub-HD games with shit image quality, the bullshot can be totally misleading and even deceptive. Halo 3 and the early PS3 multiplat games come to mind.

Fair point. Alan Wake comes to mind, too.

kuYuri

I wonder if there will still be something like the 8-player coop from R2. I really wanted that part to be expanded on in R3.

Any hints JS?

Ashes

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
I wonder if there will still be something like the 8-player coop from R2. I really wanted that part to be expanded on in R3.

Any hints JS?

8 player co=op definitely out. Sorry bro...
source: they've already said it a couple of times and we've even discussed it in this very thread or the one before...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
TacticalFox88 said:
So wait, what happened to US Military? Is there any *Official* resistance still well....resisting?

not really... though people are certainly still fighting worldwide and using radios to communicate and help each other out. You hear the radios throughout the game.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
not really... though people are certainly still fighting worldwide and using radios to communicate and help each other out. You hear the radios throughout the game.
So basically they are freedom fighters.

Loudninja

Tools of Resistance 3: Insomniac's Weapons Evolved
New Magnum:
Evo_Magnum_02-1.jpg

New Bullseye:
Evo_Bullseye_03.jpg

http://gameinformer.com/games/resis...resistance-3-insomniac-s-weapons-evolved.aspx

Irish

Do the Long Legs act similarly to the Slipskulls without all the wall climbing?

712px-Slipskull.jpg

___

I'm glad the Bullseye sorta retains its R:FoM design. The three metronome sights on it in the sequel were distracting.

I'm glad the chimera designs have migrated back to more of a Rfom look. They looked badass in R2, but I think part of the the charm and ugliness was that they looked kind of clockwork in the first game. We even saw it at the conversion center, they basically just jammed a heatsink into the back of a new chimera and left his human pants on.

Loudninja

Irish said:
Do the Long Legs act similarly to the Slipskulls without all the wall climbing?

pic
___

I'm glad the Bullseye sorta retains its R:FoM design. The three metronome sights on it in the sequel were distracting.

The Longlegs jump from building to building raining down fire, so I guess they are something like slipskulls.

ghostofsparta said:
Fuccckkkk. NOO! WHY!
I don't see the big deal.

Madman

ghostofsparta said:
Fuccckkkk. NOO! WHY!
Yeah, focus on iron sights again is quite disappointing and already tells me the multi player probably won't have what I liked from 1. Oh well...
Loudninja said:
I don't see the big deal.
Focus on iron sights means usually that hip firing is gimped and that the idea of being able to beat someone after they get the drop on you is not as likely due to lower health associated with iron sights. Basically, I don't want it to play like CoD.

I hope that's not the case. This is why I hate most FPS games these days. Gimping hipfire and forcing iron sights is not the way to go. I hate wasting time even milliseconds to bring up the iron sight when I could fire from the crosshairs and kill the bastard faster.

Irish

Madman said:
Focus on iron sights means usually that hip firing is gimped and that the idea of being able to beat someone after they get the drop on you is not as likely due to lower health associated with iron sights. Basically, I don't want it to play like CoD.

Iron sights don't automatically mean lower health. R:FoM had iron sights too. They just make it easier to shoot at a distance. Of course, the campaign is all I really care about. I always used the sights to snipe ranged chimera.

I would imagine the iron sight on the bullseye is more for tag placement than anything else. The gun will probably still be horribly inaccurate at mid to long range. This gun is supposed to be the short to mid range AR. However, in R:FoM getting tagged by hip fire was bullshit. The player should have to pull up the iron sights to assist in landing a tag as a tagged opponent is pretty much dead.

Madman said:

This is a huge reason RFOM is my favorite game. If some noob shot me from behind, I could still turn around, get headshots in and kill him before he killed me. In other games, ie CoD, this is not possible. Once someone shoots you from behind it's over. So fucking stupid. The game turns more into "lets see who shoots who first".

Loudninja said:
I never seen people assumed so much for one mention of a ironsight. :lol
Relax guys.

It was already shown in R2, no one is assuming anything.

Irish said:
Iron sights don't automatically mean lower health. R:FoM had iron sights too. They just make it easier to shoot at a distance. Of course, the campaign is all I really care about. I always used the sights to snipe ranged chimera.

Rfom carbine had iron sights but they weren't real iron sights. It just zoomed in. The main point is that iron sights = hip fire is no longer possible and lower health to be more realistic(aka less fun).

I know I'm a huge R2 hater, but hey haters gon hate.

Melchiah

PLEASE...

...make the game pause when you access the weapon inventory (just like in RFoM)
...bring back the RFoM health system, which gave a lot to the gameplay tactics, unlike R2's.

jett

D-Member
JaseC said:
I don't consider supersampled screenshots to be bullshots. The vast majority of screenshots that hit the internet are downsampled from much larger ones intended for print and as such it's not as though developers are intending to misrepresent the image quality of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, bullshot territory begins with screenshots that aren't entirely composed with in-game assets.

That's the VERY definition of a bullshot these days. Huge pics downsampled that increase the image quality tenfold. The other thing you mention is simply worse. :p

JB1981

the_prime_mover said:
I would imagine the iron sight on the bullseye is more for tag placement than anything else. The gun will probably still be horribly inaccurate at mid to long range. This gun is supposed to be the short to mid range AR. However, in R:FoM getting tagged by hip fire was bullshit. The player should have to pull up the iron sights to assist in landing a tag as a tagged opponent is pretty much dead.

i agree with that .. tagging w/ bullseye in R:FOM mp was incredibly easy ... it was like the worst auto aim assist ever

MrPliskin

Banned
ghostofsparta said:
It was already shown in R2, no one is assuming anything.

Except you ARE assuming. If Insomniac was asked "will Co-op be in Resistance 3?" and they only answered "yes" then would you assume it was the same as R2? Of course you would. Obviously that's not the case. Given these points (you know, all of the things that are different in R3 over R2) I think it's stupid (yes, stupid) to assume that an off the cuff simple comment like "we'll have iron sights" somehow means "lol it'll be just like Resistance 2!!". Especially considering this is talking about one weapon, the Bullseye.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
That's the VERY definition of a bullshot these days. Huge pics downsampled that increase the image quality tenfold. The other thing you mention is simply worse. :p

I can understand why some would consider downsampled screenshots to be bullshots for the simple fact they exhibit near-unachievable levels of anti-aliasing*, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest as the rest is what you'll see in-game, which is why I can look past it.

* Unless, of course, you run the game on the PC with supersampling.

MrPliskin

Banned
Y2Kev said:
it really doesn't look anything like capelli to me anymore

He definitely looks considerably different from anything we saw in Resistance 2, but he actually looks extremely close to his comic book counter part.

There are obvious problems with this, one being the difficulty for fans to identify (since most don't read the books / comics).

I think he still has a lot of the same structure though, like his nose and cheek bones. The biggest differences I can notice are the body size, his aged face (lots of wrinkles now) and the hair.

Through all that, I can see it. The concept art on the other hand :lol I can't see it at all.

jett

D-Member
JaseC said:
I can understand why some would consider downsampled screenshots to be bullshots for the simple fact they exhibit near-unachievable levels of anti-aliasing*, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest as the rest is what you'll see in-game, which is why I can look past it.

I can look past it too, but a bullshot is a bullshot and I appreciate it when developers release real screens, especially in this day and age when so many games are sub-HD. I don't like being "surprised". :p

MrPliskin

Banned
jett said:
I can look past it too, but a bullshot is a bullshot and I appreciate it when developers release real screens, especially in this day and age when so many games are sub-HD. I don't like being "surprised". :p

I appreciate it when people are intelligent enough to understand that the screens are taken at high resolution because they need to be used for print, thus taking "real" screen shots is out of the question unless you want your images to look like shit in a print magazine.

I also appreciate when people are intelligent enough to know a bullshot when they seen one, and not be ignorant enough to scream it from the mountain tops as though it really makes any difference in the world.

"HOLY SHIT! THE SKY IS BLUE! FUCK ME!!!!!"

/obvious

Case in point: No one ever needs to be reminded that something is a bullshot, because the people HERE on NeoGAF? We already know. Unless you're going out to Joe public maybe giving them this 'valuable' information?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MrPliskin said:
He definitely looks considerably different from anything we saw in Resistance 2, but he actually looks extremely close to his comic book counter part.

There are obvious problems with this, one being the difficulty for fans to identify (since most don't read the books / comics).

I think he still has a lot of the same structure though, like his nose and cheek bones. The biggest differences I can notice are the body size, his aged face (lots of wrinkles now) and the hair.

Through all that, I can see it. The concept art on the other hand :lol I can't see it at all.

no complaints-- the art in r2 is all shit

but i was just like "really"

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JaseC said:

Any screenshot that misrepresents the image quality via super-sampling, additional anti-aliasing, or other post-processing effects that are not present in real-time gameplay is a bullshot in my book. This seems like the most basic, sensible definition of the term to me.

It's okay if it doesn't bother you, but I don't think that should change your definition of "bullshot" to be less inclusive.

Madman

Irish said:
True, but what it all comes down to is I want R1 mechanics. R2 was heavily influenced by CoD and I would like to see most of that influence dropped.
the_prime_mover said:
If you were tagged in R1, you could avoid death by either shooting whoever tagged you since tag bullets were weaker, shaking the remote to remove the tag, or using cover until the tag wore off. I was happy with how it worked in R1. Tags weren't a death sentence.
ghostofsparta said:
This is a huge reason RFOM is my favorite game. If some noob shot me from behind, I could still turn around, get headshots in and kill him before he killed me. In other games, ie CoD, this is not possible. Once someone shoots you from behind it's over. So fucking stupid. The game turns more into "lets see who shoots who first".
Pretty much this. I just want something much closer to R1 than what R2 was. If people want to play CoD, they'll play CoD.

I didn't hate R2, but I loved R1.

Goldrusher

TheSeks said:
J and Insomniac: Please no online achievements/trophies this go around, or at least less insane ones if you REALLY need to put them in. (10K trophy says sup and prevents me from platinuming R2)
If Insomniac wanted to, they could change the requirements for that trophy with a simple patch. I remember another studio doing that for a glitched trophy, so they simply gave that trophy away basically.

Hell, with this particular trophy, I think they don't even need a patch, wouldn't it work if they added an additional 10,000 kills to everybody's stats ? Then the next time you play online, you'll get the trophy instantly, or right after the very next kill ?

Maybe do that for a limited time, 24h only, to celebrate the 2 year anniversary of the game, November 4.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You know what would be awesome? Those concept arts and stuff like that as extras.
Make it happen JS! I wouldnt complain if you guys add a 'Making Of..' video. ;)

Fersis said:
You know what would be awesome? Those concept arts and stuff like that as extras.
Make it happen JS! I wouldnt complain if you guys add a 'Making Of..' video. ;)

I liked the art book that came with the collectors edition of R2. Didn't really care for the figure thought. I would be happy for another art book and some making of documentaries. \

Perhaps an R:FoM and R2 retrospective documentary with commentary and concept art followed by an R3 introspective? Also - please include the full time line world map from R:FoM but undated with the events of R2, R3, Retribution and the other canon materials. The website was great, but it should always be on the disc. GG made the same mistake with KZ2. A shame really as both histories are so vibrant and involved. Fans should have access to that stuff when they actually buy the game.

Top Bottom