• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Yeah, Austin definitely needs a cool premium series for a cool guy.

How cool would it be to see Austin flex his smart guy muscles on something that's actually thematically interesting? I'm sure I'd be one of the few people who'd listen, but I'd kill for that kind of thing.

Intelligent anime discussions are already really hard to come by.

yami4ct

Thanks for the recommendations, Breezy!

I don't want to overwhelm you, but I might just throw out a couple things I also think people new to anime might enjoy.

Cowboy Bebop: Classic for a reason. One of the all time great neo-noir TV shows.
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Very strange but beautiful show filled with gorgeous imagery and interesting themes. By the same guy that did Polar Bear Cafe that Jeff advertises so much.
Ghost in the Shell: The first film is just a classic cyberpunk story
Mushi-Shi: Wonderful, beautiful and emotionally impactful show with a killer soundtrack. Does more with episodic story telling than I knew was possible.

Austin with that Kids on the Slope mention, goddamn he has great taste.

Also I might mention Monster to people who haven't watched anime before. One of the more grounded series I've ever watched, also HBO is making a show out of it for some reason.

Frenden

Banned
Found and added Chii's.

I hit the random button a few times too. The plot synopsis of a lot of these shows are Metal Gear as fuck. I think I might secretly like anime.

I don't want to overwhelm you, but I might just throw out a couple things I also think people new to anime might enjoy.

Cowboy Bebop: Classic for a reason. One of the all time great neo-noir TV shows.
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Very strange but beautiful show filled with gorgeous imagery and interesting themes. By the same guy that did Polar Bear Cafe that Jeff advertises so much.
Ghost in the Shell: The first film is just a classic cyberpunk story
Mushi-Shi: Wonderful, beautiful and emotionally impactful show with a killer soundtrack. Does more with episodic story telling than I knew was possible.

Looking for these now.

Frenden

Banned
Okay, since it was offered--I bookmarked all the series mentioned and added the ones to queue that are on CR.

I draw monsters for a living. I have a soft spot for sci-fright stuff in particular (think: Event Horizon). Any recs?

You guys rock.

Frenden

Banned
the only thing that immediately springs to mind is a really dumb anime movie called gyo tokyo fish attack.

it is dumb

Fair enough! Any horror is alright if sci-fi tinged horror is a bridge too far, too. The latter is a specific like of mine that is almost never satisfied, so I'm totally not surprised there's a dearth of it out there.

I just watched the movie Laggies. Chloe Moretz is a bad actress.

3JfoGBW.gif

Why must you open pandora's GIF box shadyspace?

iuhf869.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Okay, since it was offered--I bookmarked all the series mentioned and added the ones to queue that are on CR.

I draw monsters for a living. I have a soft spot for sci-fright stuff in particular (think: Event Horizon). Any recs?

You guys rock.

Parasyte.

It gets super dumb, but still a fun watch.

yami4ct

You guys rock.

You want sci-fi? Check out Yamato 2199. It's not easy to find in the US, but it's worth hunting down. Imagine a space opera like Star Trek shown through the lens of WWII. It's fantastic.

yami4ct

Noted both, thanks!

It's really easy to go overboard with recommendations as there are so many fantastic shows through the years. I think you've got a good cross-section going. If you end up liking this stuff and want more, don't be afraid to post back (or PM me I guess if you don't want it missed) for more recommendations. It'll be easy to put some stuff out there once you have a base of shows you know you like.

daydream

Banned
checked the bingo card and there might not have been a bingo to be had

bottom row would have been one but brad's first -> last arc was sabotaged by jeff's spectacular performance

You're welcome for the suggestions Frenden! Monster is definitely one of the best animes out there IMO. The Manga=>Anime translation is very very good compared to other shows.

justjim89

Necessary anime-
Death Note
Monster
GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka).

Enjoy your stay.

I've only seen a few anime shows but Death Note is one of them. It's like an anime version of Dexter, it's all extremely promising and well done up until the midpoint of the series, then it all goes downhill and fast.

At least DN had the balls to kill its evil protagonist in the end.

Tubobutts

There's nothing cooler than Crusader Kings 2, possibly with the Game of Thrones mod. Or starting an Unplugged with one of the Warhammer 40k RPGs because Vinny likes 40k and I heard Austin say Eldar once.

She gets the worse the older she gets. Five years from now no one will remember who she was.

I've been waiting months to use that first gif, don't you ruin this by being a grumpus!

Ok I'm gonna get real for a second here.

Chloe Moretz requires a skilled actor director and a real script to coax good performances out of her. The earlier roles of hers, Hugo and Let Me In and Kick Ass, they were very much reigned in performances. Perhaps not always subdued, but limited in scope. Stuff like If I Stay, Hick, and Dark Shadows, she never had a chance because she lacks the gravitas to carry those films.

I recommend Clouds of Sils Maria, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (voice only), and even Carrie--a film where she out-acts the entire production--if you want a sense of her potential.

yami4ct

fuck death note. arguably worse downturn than sword art online AND I DON'T SAY THAT LIGHTLY

Death Note is a show/manga that got popular because it had some neat ideas and a good aesthetic. It's definitely overrated, but it's a fine watch. I don't think it's SAO, Code Geass or Attack on Titan levels of crap.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (voice only),

Everyone should watch Princess Kaguya anyway. It's one of the animated masterworks. Amazing visuals and wonderful story telling. Such a fantastic way of passing down a folktale. It also completely destroyed me by the end.

yami4ct

Crunchyroll has all of Hunter x Hunter, so you know what you have to do, fledgling anime fan.

Hunter x Hunter is the greatest shonen anime or manga ever made, but I find throwing 100+ episode show at a new fan to be a pretty bad idea. Best to start with shows that are 50 or less so you can learn your tastes first.

Also no one should ever become a fan of Hunter x Hunter. Togashi will never finish the damn thing and one more person shouldn't have their heart broken because of that.

Everyone should watch Princess Kaguya anyway. It's one of the animated masterworks. Amazing visuals and wonderful story telling. Such a fantastic way of passing down a folktale. It also completely destroyed me by the end.

Absolutely! And the English voice acting does the characters justice, I feel. One of my favorite films from last year, and I think it should have one best animated feature.

if you want to go down the crunchyroll drama hole, I can offer suggestions. I don't usually feel guilty about my guilty pleasures. j-dramas are another story.

Tokubou- silly police procedural in which the offenders are submitted to bondage. totally shifts gears halfway through. I want a second season.

Shomuni- slow first episode, gets really funny really fast after that

Switch Girl- totally dorky with some really questionable story arcs, but for some reason I loved it

Galileo- pretty straightforward detective show, but enjoyable if you can get down with stuff like CSI or Numbers or whatever. arguably better than either of those anyway.

Hero (2014)- another crime procedural, not too serious. I have a mega-crush on the female lead

daydream

Banned
i checked out some post-'90s animes once, maybe around 2006, and in hindsight, my random selection turned out to be a whole bunch of trash. so i haven't gone back to contemporary anime since

conan's still going strong, so i'm pretty much good

yami4ct

Absolutely! And the English voice acting does the characters justice, I feel. One of my favorite films from last year, and I think it should have one best animated feature.

It was absolutely a travesty that it lost to Big Hero 6. I thought The Wind Rises losing to Frozen was a joke, but Princess Kaguya losing proved the academy doesn't know shit about animated films.

if you want to go down the crunchyroll drama hole, I can offer suggestions. I don't usually feel guilty about my guilty pleasures. j-dramas are another story.

Tokubou- silly police procedural in which the offenders are submitted to bondage. totally shifts gears halfway through. I want a second season.

Shomuni- slow first episode, gets really funny really fast after that

Switch Girl- totally dorky with some really questionable story arcs, but for some reason I loved it

Galileo- pretty straightforward detective show, but enjoyable if you can get down with stuff like CSI or Numbers or whatever. arguably better than either of those anyway.

Hero (2014)- another crime procedural, not too serious. I have a mega-crush on the female lead

Japanese detective shows are legitimately pretty great. Kamen Rider Drive has been riffing on them this season and it's also amazing. Their detective stuff in general has a really fun and weird mix of comedy and drama that I think works. They also usually have fantastic music.

Hunter x Hunter is the greatest shonen anime or manga ever made, but I find throwing 100+ episode show at a new fan to be a pretty bad idea. Best to start with shows that are 50 or less so you can learn your tastes first.

Also no one should ever become a fan of Hunter x Hunter. Togashi will never finish the damn thing and one more person shouldn't have their heart broken because of that.

Just pretend the anime is the whole thing. It tells a complete story.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
For serious though, crunchyroll has so little shoujo and josei that it's a damn shame. My favourite shows are mostly in that.

yami4ct

Just pretend the anime is the whole thing. It tells a complete story.

Not really. Kurapika needs his arc finished and the end of the arc the anime ends on starts to develop
a rift between Kil and Gon
that needs to be seen through to the end. It closes the initial hook, but there's more to the story that needs to be finished before I can say the ending is at all satisfying.

daydream

Banned
It was absolutely a travesty that it lost to Big Hero 6. I thought The Wind Rises losing to Frozen was a joke, but Princess Kaguya losing proved the academy doesn't know shit about animated films.

that's cause old white dudes don't give a shit about animated films and pretty much delegate the decision to their grandchildren or just look at what's doing well at the box office

there have been reports to this effect from inside the "academy" and they came to the surprise of no one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom