• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue with the review score adjustment is that unless you do it for all games it seems kinda gimmicky. It'll only be done for 'important' or controversial games in most cases and it sometimes comes across more like they do it for the sake of getting hits than anything else.

Which is why I think there needs to be an overhaul or something. It seems almost every game becomes drastically improved via patches, either by erasing faults, or adding incredible new features. I think what should happen is the original review should always be the only review, but whenever a patch is made available that adds something, there should be an addendum, especially if the patch significantly changes the game (for good or for poor).

Which is why I think there needs to be an overhaul or something. It seems almost every game becomes drastically improved via patches, either by erasing faults, or adding incredible new features. I think what should happen is the original review should always be the only review, but whenever a patch that adds something major, there should be an addendum, especially if the patch significantly changes the game (for good or for poor).

That's good in theory but think of how many games are constantly updated, patched and changed. Even the biggest sites couldn't keep up with that on top of the new releases. It'd be a constantly growing burden.

PC version's kinda fucked too in spots. I get solid 60fps everywhere on Ultra, but in one specific city it tanks and is super erratic, on my 980 Ti.

i couldn't figure out why it was running so poorly for me, until I saw a post somewhere that recommended running it windowed. did that, and boom, solid 60. decided to run netflix on my second monitor, still 60. it's one of those games.

i couldn't figure out why it was running so poorly for me, until I saw a post somewhere that recommended running it windowed. did that, and boom, solid 60. decided to run netflix on my second monitor, still 60. it's one of those games.

Oh wow I need to try that. I kept having significant hitches while playing and it was bumming me out. It wasn't even in intense moments, i'd be on a terminal and it'd drop to 10 fps for a few seconds.

valeo

Jeff turning into PC master race member.

I'm not sure how being disappointed in how badly the consoles are optimised = 'PC Master Race' (fark I hate this term so much)

If any other game came out as poorly optimised as Fallout 4 has, then it would be rightly lambasted. People just accept it because it's a Bethesda game.

Jeff turning into PC master race member.

plz no

Though he also says the game is only just Fallout 3 redux, is surprised at how much people are lauding it and questions people's standards when they call it amazing.

Yeah. It's the same damn engine, to the point that it's janky as fuck. Some people will like that, some people won't, and I think this is the game where Jeff realizes that, because these games are being accepted being janky messes, that it's a disappointment for consoles that are supposed to be these power houses.

I dunno, listening to the mixlr it was alot of disappointment in his voice.

def sim

You guys should really check out the PC performance thread instead of going all ultra. :x

Things like god rays is a frame rate killer and turning it down to high or even medium has very little discernible difference in quality.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
all of this kinda leaves me wondering what Sony and MS do next time. the main reason they didn't take a loss on the hardware was due to the fear that people wouldn't migrate over, right? if that's the case then they were dead wrong, but now we're left with systems that are more or less dated 2 years in (and some will argue that they were dated the day they shipped). i'm assuming that if MS goes first next time they will take a loss at first; they have the money and Phil Spencer actually knows what he's doing.

idk, it just seems like this generation is either going to be way shorter or just the last console generation period.

You guys should really check out the PC performance thread instead of going all ultra. :x

Things like god rays is a frame rate killer and turning it down to high or even medium has very little discernible difference in quality.

Oh definitely. I could probably run it on my 5 year old cpu at 60fps by turning down some extraneous settings, I have no doubt that the settings for the game can be tinkered with.

all of this kinda leaves me wondering what Sony and MS do next time. the main reason they didn't take a loss on the hardware was due to the fear that people wouldn't migrate over, right? if that's the case then they were dead wrong, but now we're left with systems that are more or less dated 2 years in (and some will argue that they were dated the day they shipped). i'm assuming that if MS goes first next time they will take a loss at first; they have the money and Phil Spencer actually knows what he's doing.

idk, it just seems like this generation is either going to be way shorter or just the last console generation period.

I keep saying this but I REALLY feel like Microsoft wants to take the Xbox brand to PC. All the stuff they say seems to point that way. But that would mean abandoning the closed ecosystem.

before figuring out the "windowed" fix, I was cranking every setting up and down, just chuckling to myself because none of them seemed to make any actual graphical difference. I'm pretty sure those are placebo sliders.

def sim

before figuring out the "windowed" fix, I was cranking every setting up and down, just chuckling to myself because none of them seemed to make any actual graphical difference. I'm pretty sure those are placebo sliders.

Running it in windowed mode gives you triple buffering. Maybe in game vsync isn't so great, turn it on through the control panel instead if you don't want to go (borderless?) windowed.

Running it in windowed mode gives you triple buffering. Maybe in game vsync isn't so great, turn it on through the control panel instead if you don't want to go (borderless?) windowed.

nah I've got no problem with borderless windowed mode, I just usually don't use it because I have some weird outdated notion that games will run worse that way. anyway, I've confirmed that I can watch ST:TNG episodes while shooting molerats in 60fps, so I've found my sweet spot

My friend bought a PS4 with that "buy a PS4 get a free copy of Fallout 4". I bought the copy of F4 off of him, at a discount, because I've never played a Fallout game and wrote them off as not my type of game. I've been trying stuff outside my box and figured a Fallout game should be the next thing on that list.

I know there's a sort of overarching story or lore between the games. Will it be nearly impossible for me to understand things in Fallout 4, or is it pretty much standalone. If I do need previous info is there a quick crash course YouTube video or something?

My friend bought a PS4 with that "buy a PS4 get a free copy of Fallout 4". I bought the copy of F4 off of him, because I've never played a Fallout game and wrote them off as not my type of game. I've been trying stuff outside my box and figured a Fallout game should be the next thing on that list.

I know there's a sort of overarching story or lore between the games. Will it be nearly impossible for me to understand things in Fallout 4, or is it pretty much standalone. If I do need previous info is there a quick crash course YouTube video or something?

You should be good to go I think. There's no real plot threads between 3/NV/4 that I recall beyond that they share the same universe. You might want to ask in the 4 OT though they could tell you for sure.

you really don't need to know anything to get into this one. it even gives you a pretty good 3 minute or so cutscene at the start that explains what happened.

LiK

watching FO4 QL and this blue nonsense is messing me up. i always used the default green. this is so weird, lol

My friend bought a PS4 with that "buy a PS4 get a free copy of Fallout 4". I bought the copy of F4 off of him, because I've never played a Fallout game and wrote them off as not my type of game. I've been trying stuff outside my box and figured a Fallout game should be the next thing on that list.

Nah. Here's all you need to know. 50's version of the future. Nuclear War in 2077. Lucky people went to various Vault's that protected them from the fallout. Now, you're one of the people in a Vault hundreds of years later entering the post-Nuke War wasteland. There's small stuff you'll miss, but the big things will be explained in game.

Megasoum

Banned
My friend bought a PS4 with that "buy a PS4 get a free copy of Fallout 4". I bought the copy of F4 off of him, at a discount, because I've never played a Fallout game and wrote them off as not my type of game. I've been trying stuff outside my box and figured a Fallout game should be the next thing on that list.

Is there really an overarching story between the game?

I mean it's the same universe they they probably do some references and inside jokes here and there but I don't think it's an actual sequel.

danm999

Won't be too hard. The East Coast stories tend to be pretty self contained (unlike the West Coast ones) and if you think of it from the perspective of playing someone who has been asleep for 200 years there's going to be a lot of explaining things to the character (and thus you).

Maybe read up on Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel and the Enclave if you want to be 100% though.

Coketruck

After finishing Black Ops' campaign and playing a few MP matches, I've had the sudden realization that these games aren't really my thing anymore. Tomorrow, it's getting traded back in to Best Buy for Tomb Raider.

def sim

nah I've got no problem with borderless windowed mode, I just usually don't use it because I have some weird outdated notion that games will run worse that way. anyway, I've confirmed that I can watch ST:TNG episodes while shooting molerats in 60fps, so I've found my sweet spot

Hah

That's a surprisingly common hang up people have, so I figured that was the reason. ;)

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I keep saying this but I REALLY feel like Microsoft wants to take the Xbox brand to PC. All the stuff they say seems to point that way. But that would mean abandoning the closed ecosystem.

nah, not yet. a new console in a few years
(hopefully less)
with more horsepower would probably do wonders for the brand. even with all of the Xbone baggage, the 360 is still thought of as one of the best consoles ever and their marketing and messaging seems to slowly getting back to those days.

i've always primarily been a console player and will likely stay that way, but the idea of building a nice and fancy PC has never looked more appealing. i just simply can't afford it. maybe when i'm out of college and cleansed myself of student debt lmao.

of course maybe this is all just an overreaction and something will click with these consoles over the next year. doubtful at this point tho.

Going borderless window in Blops 3 gives me MUCH better colors (full screen is super washed out) but introduces a lot of input lag.

I don't understand how window modes work! they're very weird!

meanwhile it was the exact opposite for DX:HR, in which playing it in windowed mode removes all input lag.

PCs are weird, you guys

meanwhile it was the exact opposite for DX:HR, in which playing it in windowed mode removes all input lag.

PCs are weird, you guys

I think it's something to do with how it treats vsync. I think borderless window forces vsync for cod, for whatever reason, and the vsync really badly introduces input lag for that game.

def sim

Going borderless window in Blops 3 gives me MUCH better colors (full screen is super washed out) but introduces a lot of input lag.

I don't understand how window modes work! they're very weird!

All windowed should do is give you triple buffering and less latency relative to in-game vsync. The problem likely lies elsewhere.

justjim89

Friend of the site Xavier Woods picked up a pinfall win on Raw! Put your horns up!

mqdefault.jpg

Seventy70

I just had a random thought. If Giant Bomb started doing educational stuff, I would pay so much attention and learn so much. I know they aren't about to start doing math lessons or anything, but a history podcast would be cool. I have a feeling Drew, Brad, Vinny and Austin would be on board. Every month or so, they could cover an event or time period. It would be fun.

I just had a random thought. If Giant Bomb started doing educational stuff, I would pay so much attention and learn so much. I know they aren't about to start doing math lessons or anything, but a history podcast would be cool. I have a feeling Drew, Brad, Vinny and Austin would be on board. Every month or so, they could cover an event or time period. It would be fun.

Jeff should do a video game history podcast. Take a topic or period of time from the industry and give talk in-depth about it. Brad would be a good partner for it since he's good at engaging with Jeff on those sorts of topics.

Jeff should do a video game history podcast. Take a topic or period of time from the industry and give talk in-depth about it. Brad would be a good partner for it since he's good at engaging with Jeff on those sorts of topics.

Absolutely! The most interesting parts of Demo Derby, UPF etc are when Jeff goes into history mode.

Seventy70

That would be cool too. I know Jeff sprinkles knowledge here and there, but it would be nice to have it contained and organized in chunks.

After reading up this "Russia with the mad sports doping" story i realized there is a guy whose name is Dick Pound (Richard Pound actually but still) LOL.

And i'm all for Historian Jeff/Inside Baseball Jeff if possible, hell his Jar time content was one of the main reasons i bought a premium sub

Fallout 4 being a technical mess says less about the consoles than it does Bethesda IMO.

I've played plenty of games that look great & run fine on PS4.

Obviously PC is superior but yeah, fuck Bethesda!

They take it with them.

After reading up this "Russia with the mad sports doping" story i realized there is a guy whose name is Dick Pound (Richard Pound actually but still) LOL.

And i'm all for Historian Jeff/Inside Baseball Jeff if possible, hell his Jar time was one of the main reasons i bought a premium sub

I miss those badly.

PC version's kinda fucked too in spots. I get solid 60fps everywhere on Ultra, but in one specific city it tanks and is super erratic, on my 980 Ti.

Yep it's the same for me too. If you were to only play the first couple hours of the game on PC you'd say it runs great and holds a near rock solid 60fps (this was my experience on a 980ti @ 1440p) but then I got to the big city and am hitting 40fps regularly and it kinda sucks. I'm genuinely surprised that the performance is so all over the place considering what other games run at perfect 60fps on my machine.

Joeku

Giant Bomb community members, please collectively shun anyone who ever wears one of those awful Dan Ryckert t-shirts.

At least the other GB shirts help the site!

https://teespring.com/stores/dirty-dan-ryckert

I want a "I'm a Dan Ryckert Girl." shirt in a men's style. That's the only way I'm buying one of these.

Hah

That's a surprisingly common hang up people have, so I figured that was the reason. ;)

Wait, games don't run worse in borderless windowed? Why did I believe they did?

yami4ct

Brad's knowledge of history seems to mostly come from Hardcore History. I find it hard to believe they could compete with that source. It's possibly the best podcast of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom