• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Isn't that the case for most developers though? Every studio has their weaknesses.

To some extent yes, though I think it's a little more pronounced with Bethesda.

Like, say what you will about a Bioware or a CDPR or a Square Enix, but they'll try and fix whatever issue their previous games had if the outcry is there. They might end up breaking a bunch of new stuff of course but them's the risks.

daydream

Banned
Tomb Raider QL in 5 hours.

but does it have a tomb for dying video cards

2446993-2013-03-05_143558.png

wow, Jeff going hard into FO4 on that Mixlr. the next Bombcast is gonna be sweet

And by that point, he'll have played the XB1 version as well (probably). If Digital Foundry's findings are accurate, Jeff will rail even further against the console versions.

FStop7

Banned
There is a new Starcraft game coming out tomorrow. It's kind of stunning how quickly and completely that series fell from relevance. I wonder if Brad will even play it.

justjim89

If you'd have told me a month and a half ago that I'd be more excited for a Tomb Raider QL than a new episode of MGScanlon, I'd have laughed in your face and called you a filthy liar.

But this is the world we live in.

Maybe MGScanlon should've been put off a few months to a year after all.

LiK

There is a new Starcraft game coming out tomorrow. It's kind of stunning how quickly and completely that series fell from relevance. I wonder if Brad will even play it.

my CE arrived today. yea, no one gives a shit anymore. i'm glad to finally finish the story and play my fave race. how the mighty has fallen.

If you'd have told me a month and a half ago that I'd be more excited for a Tomb Raider QL than a new episode of MGScanlon, I'd have laughed in your face and called you a filthy liar.

poor Drew is trying to finish MGSV before the GOTY discussions. don't wanna be spoiled lol

danm999

I will find time for it this year between Arkham Knight, Syndicate, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, Tales of the Borderlands and Shadowrun Hong Kong.

I WILL. THAT IS A VOW.

They fucked up with that splitting up shit then MOBAs added salt to the wound.

I doubt the quality of the story helped either.

Megasoum

Banned
That Tomb Raider hype is real...

YESSSS YESSSSSSSS... Embrace it!

Really happy with the reviews. I've known for months that it was a great game but you never know about reviews until the day of release...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It's just MGSV doesn't lend itself well to the format. The game is completely secondary to the conversation.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Oh really? Is it actually more than an expansion? This must be one of the biggest months ever, just in terms of franchises. Halo, Fallout, NfS, AC, Starcraft, Battlefront, CoD, Tomb Raider and Starcraft? Wat

LiK

They fucked up with that splitting up shit then MOBAs added salt to the wound.

I doubt the quality of the story helped either.

like riding a bicycle....

Oh really? Is it actually more than an expansion? This must be one of the biggest months ever, just in terms of franchises. Halo, Fallout, NfS, AC, Starcraft, Battlefront, CoD, Tomb Raider and Starcraft? Wat

basically the last third of the story. first was Terrans, second was Zerg and final is Protoss. splitting them up was fucking stupid.

Anjin M

I don't blame Drew for wanting to jump in and play the new game, especially since he went through all the trouble of ramping up through the series. And I can't blame him for wanting to record his first playthrough because there was no way he would do so a second time. If anything, I blame the game for not being all that fun to watch. Drew and Dan are great.

It shouldn't be a surprise, but it actually looks pretty damn good at Ultra settings, the lighting hides the textures. But wasn't able to get a steady 60 @ 1440p on my 980ti. Did you sacrifice anything for the 60+ or are you sli'ing it?
Did you turn god rays to high? Lowest my framerate has gone so far is 55 and it generally hovers in the high 70s/low 80s. Only made it to Concord though.

danm999

I don't blame Drew for wanting to jump in and play the new game, especially since he went through all the trouble of ramping up through the series. And I can't blame him for wanting to record his first playthrough because there was no way he would do so a second time. If anything, I blame the game for not being all that fun to watch. Drew and Dan are great.

Doesn't help most people have just recently played/are playing it at the moment I reckon.

Anjin M

Was anyone else quitely hoping that there would be a late Fallout 4 review from Jeff?

I know he wanted to check other platforms first, but I was still hoping!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad Jeff's going in hard on Fallout 4 despite liking the game. It's fine to like something that has significant issues, but don't pretend they don't exist, y'know?

PC version's kinda fucked too in spots. I get solid 60fps everywhere on Ultra, but in one specific city it tanks and is super erratic, on my 980 Ti.

I'm glad Jeff's going in hard on Fallout 4 despite liking the game. It's fine to like something that has significant issues, but don't pretend they don't exist, y'know?

PC version's kinda fucked too in spots. I get solid 60fps everywhere on Ultra, but in one specific city it tanks and is super erratic, on my 980 Ti.

Listening to it, he sounds more disappointed in the consoles and peoples acceptance of badly optimized games.

hamchan

Listening to it, he sounds more disappointed in the consoles and peoples acceptance of badly optimized games.

Though he also says the game is only just Fallout 3 redux, is surprised at how much people are lauding it and questions people's standards when they call it amazing.

I'm curious to see if Jeff posts his FO4 review soon or waits for a patch. With all the negative news regarding the framerate on consoles, surely Bethesda is working quickly to release a patch. Jeff seemed to love the game itself. Maybe enough to give it a 3 or a 4, with the current state of affairs on console. A patch that improves the framerate could possibly make it a 4 of a 5.

Personally, I think the current review systems for most sites need to be overhauled. Games are becoming more and more fluid and reviews quickly become outdated. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. As controversial as they are, Polygon adjusts their reviews (negatively or positively) if it is warranted. Their Driveclub review (for instance) went down (when the found it was broken) and then up again (when the game was fixed).

I'm curious to see if Jeff posts his FO4 review soon or waits for a patch. With all the negative news regarding the framerate on consoles, surely Bethesda is working quickly to release a patch. Jeff seemed to love the game itself. Maybe enough to give it a 3 or a 4, with the current state of affairs on console. A patch that improves the framerate could possibly make it a 4 of a 5.

Personally, I think the current review systems for most sites need to be overhauled. Games are becoming more and more fluid and reviews quickly become outdated. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. As controversial as they are, Polygon adjusts their reviews (negatively or positively) if it is warranted. Their Driveclub review (for instance) went down (when the found it was broken) and then up again (when the game was fixed).

My issue with the review score adjustment is that unless you do it for all games it seems kinda gimmicky. It'll only be done for 'important' or controversial games in most cases and it sometimes comes across more like they do it for the sake of getting hits than anything else.

Dudes got a GTX 980, I don't know why he would play anything on console at this point if he had the option, Dan seems to be doing the same, he play the majority of stuff on PC from the looks of it.

I feel like it's as simple as Jeff just plays the review copies.

But yeah, Dan seems to mostly play what he can on PC.

Dudes got a GTX 980, I don't know why he would play anything on console at this point if he had the option, Dan seems to be doing the same, he play the majority of stuff on PC from the looks of it.

I think if they all played on PC they would eliminate all the console only people who visit the site to read their thoughts lol. I feel for him though, you get a console code of a game to review and by the time you do the review you just won't have it in you to play it all over again on PC. I could see him playing it abit or from time to time on PC but not all over again immediately.

justjim89

At this point with how often the consoles tend to underperform with big games, the PC is just the better option. It's kinda absurd how quickly the new generation has been outpaced by your average AAA game.

danm999

Yeah left to my own devices I will default to PC, but I'm lucky enough to have a nice one. I will probably stop borrowing my friends PS4 soon and buy my own though. And Zelda will likely get me on the Wii U train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom