• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

People getting upset about reviews again? Color me surprised!

I still don't get it. Sure, personally I don't dig Bethesda RPGs anymore. I love the charm that the Fallout world has, but the thought of playing it makes me sleepy in and of itself. I might feel a bit vindicated if others came around to this view. Am I upset that people are digging the game and rating it highly? Absolutely not. If the reviewer likes the game, they should absolutely give it a good score. As long as they justify in in the text, it's all cool.

Reading FO4 impressions, I know that it's basically just more Fallout 3. That's something I'm personally not looking for right now, but those that are should be able to get as excited as they want.

Yeah, just ask Jeff, people have always and will always get angry about review scores. His stories about getting death threats from Sega fans back in the day show that the more things change the more they stay the same. Hell, his whole pancake bit on Twitter is a play on that. I don't get it either.

CGaUyAi.png

Some people are fucking monsters.

Who the fuck is that cunt?

yami4ct

Yeah, just ask Jeff, people have always and will always get angry about review scores. His stories about getting death threats from Sega fans back in the day show that the more things change the more they stay the same. Hell, his whole pancake bit on Twitter is a play on that. I don't get it either.

I love all of Jeff's angry fanboy (or whatever you call the anti-fanboy) stories. I totally understand that it does happen and it's been a fact of life forever. I just don't understand why people get so angry.

I like plenty of games that get poor or middling scores. It comes with being a fan of mid-tier JRPGs. Do I get angry at reviewers over those scores? No. If they throw some criticism I think is unfair, I might think less of the reviewer, but I'm not about to send them a death threat. Same for series I dislike that get positive scores.

Whatever, internet amplifying emotions, particularly negative ones is nothing new. I think I should try to stop analyzing it. It's pretty much just a force of nature.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You have people getting hyped up for years for specific games and then finding out it's not good, well it can do things to people, especially if system x has a dearth of games.

yami4ct

You have people getting hyped up for years for specific games and then finding out it's not good, well it can do things to people, especially if system x has a dearth of games.

Like, I get people being highly disappointed over something. The misdirection of anger always weirds me out, but I guess I'm just a well adjusted human. Also, the idea of buying a system for 1-2 games if you don't have a ton of disposable income to throw at gaming always seems like a bad idea, but I'm an idiot that owns everything so what do I know?

Bethesda games are particularly suspectible to backlash because they keep repeating the same key flaws over and over.

I'm of two minds about Bethesda reviews. On the one hand, the games are always stupidly broken, frequently having repeatable game breaking bugs as well as performance issues. On the other, for what people want from them they are consistently some of the top of their class. I'm not sure how I would balance those as a reviewer (assuming I still could get hyped about those games). The Elder Scrolls combat being consistently boring needs more attention, though.

Strax

I wasn't really playing many games during the PS1/PS2 era so maybe someone here can inform me. People now seem to talk like marquee games never had framerate issues or major bugs, is that true or are people just looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses?

Myggen

Like, I get people being highly disappointed over something. The misdirection of anger always weirds me out, but I guess I'm just a well adjusted human. Also, the idea of buying a system for 1-2 games if you don't have a ton of disposable income to throw at gaming always seems like a bad idea, but I'm an idiot that owns everything so what do I know?

To put it this way, I'm happy the internet on a large scale wasn't really a thing when I was 10 or so years old.

Votes for anything not related to reduced fat is a vote for the reduced fat police state, but not a vote for Reduced Fat Police State as the next OT sub-title.

Myggen

I wasn't really playing many games during the PS1/PS2 era so maybe someone here can inform me. People now seem to talk like marquee games never had framerate issues or major bugs, is that true or are people just looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses?

Oh there were bugs for sure. Maybe not as much as now(?), but games were a lot less complicated back then with less moving parts. There were tons of framerate issues too, I remember GTA 3 for example running like fucking garbage. Most of the games people remember fondly on the N64 had pretty shit framerate.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GTA has always gotten shit for bad framerates. N64 games generally ran like garbage. The early days of 3D games were a strange time. Today's Bethesda jank is on another level.

Myggen

GTA has always gotten shit for bad framerates. N64 games generally ran like garbage. The early days of 3D games were a strange time. Today's Bethesda jank is on another level.

GTA 3 still got amazing reviews though, despite all of its technical problems. It's understandable given how revolutionary that game was in so many different ways, it was easy to look past the technical limitations when they were trying to do so much new stuff.

The early days of 3D were a strange time, yeah. Probably the period of gaming that has aged the worst. I remember being blown away by how the first two Twisted Metal games looked, and now those games just look like poop on a screen.

yami4ct

Maybe it's rose tinted glasses, but I do feel like more games aimed for 60 FPS pre-PS3/360. Sure, some games didn't and framerate issues definitely happened, but I do feel like 60 FPS is a much rarer thing now than it was up until like mid-PS2's lifespan.

As for bugs, I do think the lack of patching led to fewer bugs on release. They 100% still existed and the ones that were in there permanently. Anecdotally, I've run into far, far more game breaking bugs and crashes post-patching coming onto consoles.

So basically, a bit of both.

To put it this way, I'm happy the internet on a large scale wasn't really a thing when I was 10 or so years old.

I get it when it turns out to be kids and teens. Teaching empathy to someone that age must be a monumentally hard task. I was certainly an asshole back then.

A disturbing number of these idiots are grown adults, though. That is far more frightening.

danm999

I used to think a big part of it was anonymity but Facebook and Twitter has demonstrated people have no issue putting their face and name to some of the most vile, juvenile shit imaginable.

as long as it doesn't crash all the time (fucking New Vegas) and I don't get stuck in broken missions (Skyrim), I think the terrible collision and bugs and bullshit are hilarious.

listen, the game is going to break a million times in my hands regardless, might as well go all-out with it.

performance issues and game-breaking bugs and stuff are unacceptable. but if you aren't okay with objects floating above the ground and everything clipping through everything, then you really shouldn't keep buying Bethesda games.

yami4ct

as long as it doesn't crash all the time (fucking New Vegas) and I don't get stuck in broken missions (Skyrim), I think the terrible collision and bugs and bullshit are hilarious.

listen, the game is going to break a million times in my hands regardless, might as well go all-out with it.

performance issues and game-breaking bugs and stuff are unacceptable. but if you aren't okay with objects floating above the ground and everything clipping through everything, then you really shouldn't keep buying Bethesda games.

Game breaking bugs and performance issues are to Bethesda as save corrupting and importation bugs are to Telltale. In a game as complex as Bethesda's, you're going to miss some weird game breaking bugs. The problem is they seem to have a disturbing number of very common ones. I always tend to find them as well.

BUT WHAT I LOVE HAS TO BE VALIDATED BY OTHER WELL KNOWN PEOPLE IN THE BUSINESSSSSSS.

Man, If I cared that much about reviews I would have not watched nor played half of the movies/games made in this world. Thank god that I don't.

Edit: What I care about though is knowing that the people I follow in the business enjoyed said thing. Like knowing Roger Ebert loved said movie or Jeff loved said game makes me happy in a way I'm glad their time didn't go to waste playing a shitty game. Makes me sad that Alex made such a well written review for a piece of shit game called WWE2K16

Myggen

Brad seems to really love the new Tomb Raider, which is good to see. My opinion on the first one more or less mirrored Brad's (great fundamentals, but would like to see some more Tomb Raiding and not just shooting shooting shooting cutscene shooting shooting shooting), which they seem to mostly have addressed. What he writes about the world near the end is especially exciting.

danm999

Game breaking bugs and performance issues are to Bethesda as save corrupting and importation bugs are to Telltale. In a game as complex as Bethesda's, you're going to miss some weird game breaking bugs. The problem is they seem to have a disturbing number of very common ones. I always tend to find them as well.

Yeah the technical stuff while disappointing is a consequence of the type of game they're making.

My hope is that the writing and story is better though. These are technically RPGs after all.

yami4ct

Yeah the technical stuff while disappointing is a consequence of the type of game they're making.

My hope is that the writing and story is better though. These are technically RPGs after all.

I would say that although those game breaking bugs are 100% expected, they are also way too common in Bethesda products. Maybe I'm unlucky, but I hit way more progress blocking or save corrupting bugs in Bethesda games than any comparable open world game.

I'm also super interested to hear how the writing turns out. Fallout is the better written of Bethesda's two works, but it's still not at all where it needs to be.

Brad seems to really love the new Tomb Raider, which is good to see. My opinion on the first one more or less mirrored Brad's (great fundamentals, but would like to see some more Tomb Raiding and not just shooting shooting shooting cutscene shooting shooting shooting), which they seem to mostly have addressed. What he writes about the world near the end is especially exciting.

I almost want to buy an XBO for Halo 5 and Tomb Raider, but I think I'll wait for Tomb Raider's (almost certainly superior) PC version to hit. I'll likely get an XBO eventually. Maybe when Quantum Break, Gears, Sea of Thieves or Scalebound hit. I'm certain I'll end up with one sometime. So glad to hear that Rise of the Tomb Raider turned out (despite the awful name, haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom