• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

When UPF turned into "here's some shit I found five minutes before the show started"-Fridays I kind tuned out.

The Unprofessional in UPF has gradually shifted from meaning "Here's a laid back stream where we hang out and talk over some games we like" to "Here's a game I haven't played with enough to QL, so we'll be fumbling around the first 30 minutes of it and passing judgement there." And the show is worse for it.

And man I need to watch last night's CWC. Where's the new Powerbombcast?

Rainmaker

Banned
If I remember correctly the last time Phil Fish was on GB was a GDC after show stream where he talked about the possibilities of VR

I think Fish has really tainted a lot of what he's done because of his attitude. Even if it's a good game, he's still a scumbag.

I don't think Fish is a scumbag as much as he's really sensitive to criticism and abysmal at PR. He always seems really comfortable on GB content and comes across as an affable chap.

Myggen

Shit.

I just have left auto renew on my sub from last year. Was waiting for the sale

You can PM Rorie on the site (or send an email to support@giantbomb.com) and he'll hook you up with the discounted price.

I don't think Fish is a scumbag as much as he's really sensitive to criticism and abysmal at PR. He always seems really comfortable on GB content and comes across as an affable chap.

Brad: Have you been through media training?

Phil: No... you know I haven't.

edit: Back to my hotel hole without internet, god I hate work sometimes.

Meneses

This isn't a response to anyone, just my 2 cents on what I get out of GB:

Honestly, I mainly come to Giant Bomb for the humor and the occasional relaxed chat about videogames.

I definitely don't come for in-depth game coverage or industry news (you can find everything on GAF/twitter seconds after it happens and usually it's been discussed to death before the Duders get a chance to talk about it).

Also, and not so much GB related as it is a general internet thing, the "I need to put out my hot take on the issue du jour" thing is annoying, and so is the "I hope that dude that I admire puts out a hot take that validates my opinion of this" thing (and everyone falls a little bit into this habit, including myself. I mean, who has never thought "Wtf, how can [random GB duder] think that way about this thing, that's just WRONG omg, so disappointing"?)

I'd rather they just focus on doing their thing instead of being just another voice in the crowd. Of course, this leads to the occasional lull in content, and there's always room for improvement - and most of all, they should be criticized (when fair to do so) and people should feel comfortable showing their discontent, because I don't think it's useful to keep saying "everything's great" when it kinda isn't; that is not a useful way of measuring what people actually do and don't like.

TL;DR - I'm here for the funny shit. Sometimes there's a lot of it, other times not so much. But I think that as long as I can afford it, I will keep supporting the crew because they have entertained me a lot over the years.

Barring lack of money, the only reason I'd quit Premium would be if they hired someone I really can't stand, or if they decided to be serious dicks about something (which I doubt they ever would).

derFeef

This isn't a response to anyone, just my 2 cents on what I get out of GB:

Honestly, I mainly come to Giant Bomb for the humor and the occasional relaxed chat about videogames.

I definitely don't come for in-depth game coverage or industry news (you can find everything on GAF/twitter seconds after it happens and usually it's been discussed to death before the Duders get a chance to talk about it).

Also, and not so much GB related as it is a general internet thing, the "I need to put out my hot take on the issue du jour" thing is annoying, and so is the "I hope that dude that I admire puts out a hot take that validates my opinion of this" thing (and everyone falls a little bit into this habit, including myself. I mean, who has never thought "Wtf, how can [random GB duder] think that way about this thing, that's just WRONG omg, so disappointing"?)

I'd rather they just focus on doing their thing instead of being just another voice in the crowd. Of course, this leads to the occasional lull in content, and there's always room for improvement - and most of all, they should be criticized (when fair to do so) and people should feel comfortable showing their discontent, because I don't think it's useful to keep saying "everything's great" when it kinda isn't; that is not a useful way of measuring what people actually do and don't like.

TL;DR - I'm here for the funny shit. Sometimes there's a lot of it, other times not so much. But I think that as long as I can afford it, I will keep supporting the crew because they have entertained me a lot over the years.

Barring lack of money, the only reason I'd quit Premium would be if they hired someone I really can't stand, or if they decided to be serious dicks about something (which I doubt they ever would).

Yep. This is me as well.

I think the 'worry' for me is I'm not finding the format of their current shows particularly conducive to humour in the way they were before.

The off the cuff, relaxed GB you talk about has, for me, kind of been replaced with a structure that harnesses spontaneity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom