• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy that Horizon QL. Quest markers everywhere, To-Do-Lists and compass and climbing ledge indicators and enemy markers up the wazoo.

I'm glad I watched this and heard Jeff's talk about it basically being another Far Cry, I was hyping this game to hell and back and it pretty much all vanished at this point, at least for me. It looks beatiful though.

I am super glad it isn't a disappointment for the majority of people though, it looks like a blast if you're into that type of game.

Man, I wish more companies would be clearer about what a game actually is before it releases. Oh well, maybe that's on me.

Hjod

Banned
Oh boy that Horizon QL. Quest markers everywhere, To-Do-Lists and compass and climbing ledge indicators and enemy markers up the wazoo.

I'm glad I watched this and heard Jeff's talk about it basically being another Far Cry, I was hyping this game to hell and back and it pretty much all vanished at this point, at least for me. It looks beatiful though.

I am super glad it isn't a disappointment for the majority of people though, it looks like a blast if you're into that type of game.

Man, I wish more companies would be clearer about what a game actually is before it releases. Oh well, maybe that's on me.

I feel the same, holy shit. The problem is I bought it on PSN before the QL hit. Fuck me haha, I hope the story is great haha, that would at least be something that would redeem it for me.

And it will probably look great on my 4K tv with HDR.

Hindl

I just feel weird because I knew that was exactly what Horizon was. Quest Markers, to-do lists, icons, the whole nine yards. And I like Far Cry, I was really down with all that stuff. I've even seen extended gameplay. Maybe Jeff just showed off a bad section, but the QL was really underwhelming and deflated my hype a lot

Watching this IGN Video Game History stream and its just crazy the different "philosophy" that IGN and Giant Bomb seems to have. Like, there's the first issue where the IGN guys aren't really as entertaining as the Giant Bomb guys. But they seem to have a mentality that there needs to be someone speaking 100% of the time, there's a very "Home Shopping Network" kind of vibe to their presentation style, versus Giant Bomb's much more natural, conversational style.

Watching this IGN Video Game History stream and its just crazy the different "philosophy" that IGN and Giant Bomb seems to have. Like, there's the first issue where the IGN guys aren't really as entertaining as the Giant Bomb guys. But they seem to have a mentality that there needs to be someone speaking 100% of the time, there's a very "Home Shopping Network" kind of vibe to their presentation style, versus Giant Bomb's much more natural, conversational style.

Interesting. I quite like their Nintendo Voice Chat podcast but I haven't watched IGN's video content before. Hmm...

Santar

Really enjoying this 5 rarest games segment on the Video game history stream, lots of interesting info.
Would really enjoy a weekly stream of similar stuff.

Catvoca

Banned
Was Drew really part of some meme?

You haven't seen the Drew meme?

whiguyblink.gif

killroy87

Considering how high Jeff was on Far Cry 3 and 4, you should have been wary that Horizon would follow an Ubisoft structure. It might be a good one of those, but it's certainly one of those.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The only Ubiopen World Game I like is Far Cry 3, due to the base takeover and the hunting. Hopefully Horizon is more that than Assassin's Creed busywork simulator. I'll pick it up once it's $20.

The only Ubiopen World Game I like is Far Cry 3, due to the base takeover and the hunting. Hopefully Horizon is more that than Assassin's Creed busywork simulator. I'll pick it up once it's $20.

Agreed--all this info has limited by interest for sure. Should still be a visual killer in 4K/HDR though.

Has Jeff gone on the game archive stream yet?

Anjin M

Yeah - maybe Mordor wasn't the right choice. Why did it win again?
Because GOTY is a concensus. Since most of the games you listed had one or two backers, there wasn't really another game they all agreed on.

It's like asking a group of people what ice cream they like but ending up with vanilla because everyone can settle on it.

I have no idea why Kiryu is in the Yakuza to begin with. There is literally not a single bad hair on his body. He doesn't even think "man this dominatrix is hot, guess I'll help her", he just does it out of kindness! He should be, like, a cop instead

The Horizon and Ubisoft comparisons read like, you know, how The Witcher 3 could be compared with Bethesda games but the execution is simply a lot better. That said, even the best take on an Ubisoft game isn't the most exciting proposition right now. But I'll absolutely play it later on when I have the time and nothing I'm more immediately excited by.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Twitch is showing RE7 speed runs. I should watch.
I have no idea why Kiryu is in the Yakuza to begin with. There is literally not a single bad hair on his body. He doesn't even think "man this dominatrix is hot, guess I'll help her", he just does it out of kindness! He should be, like, a cop instead

The playable cop in the series is way less of a boyscout than Kiryu, funny enough

Yup it's what I expected it to be, even though reviews implied the opposite.

Will buy for cheap second hand.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
From the sounds of it zelda is the open world deliverance I've been looking for.

All the discussions I've heard goes "yeah horizon is kinda like far cry, is super gorgeous and i like the world and story but holy shit did you know this can happen in Zelda...?"

oti

Banned

:/

I'm slowly moving from "eventually" to "maybe" with this game.

ArjanN

Since this is kind of an unofficial John Wick thread, I saw the first one a week or so ago and I gotta say something.

The first 30 or so minutes of that movie is the best part, and nothing that follows the sledgehammer scene could have ever lived up to it. Once it gets to the part where he's just shooting dudes and doing regular action movie stuff, I was kinda over it. They build him up so effectively to be this absolute monster, and it's all great, and then he just kinda... shoots dudes well. Neat.

Good movie, but I'd almost have rather it been a short film that stopped as soon as he dug his guns out.

Keanu plays a badass well and the action choreography was solid, but IMO there's no really good villain or rival or standout acting and barely any real stakes. It's still a solid movie but I think once people are past the hype, it's pretty obvious isn't in the tier of all time classic action movies like Die Hard, Predator, Robocop etc..

Dineren

Banned
Austin's comparison between Horizon and Breath of the Wild basically dropped a nuclear bomb on any chance of me playing that thing

What did he say?

I thought it looked great when he was fighting the machines, but my interest dropped quite a bit once he got inside. I'll probably still give it a shot though, hopefully the focus is on fighting the machines rather than humans.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What did he say? And which game was the bomb dropped on?

It's hard to summarise, but it's basically about how much more rewarding the exploration of Zelda is compared to horizon, how much more emergent the world is, and how the game rewards you for playing around with us mechanics.

Listen to the latest waypoint for a deeper discussion.

Hindl

What did he say? And which game was the bomb dropped on?

What did he say?

I thought it looked great when he was fighting the machines, but my interest dropped quite a bit once he got inside. I'll probably still give it a shot though, hopefully the focus is on fighting the machines rather than humans.

Austin nuked Horizon hard. Basically he said in Horizon everything felt simple, even in the big open world. Like he was looking for yellow handholds to climb up, or some "emergent" scenarios seemed almost scripted. Whereas with Zelda, there's a constant thought of "Wait can I do this?" or "Well what's over there?" and every time he's rewarded for exploring with either a puzzle, an item, or something else cool. It makes sense, Horizon and Zelda are taking different things from Far Cry. Horizon is taking the overall structure and template from Far Cry, while Zelda is taking the systems focus. And Austin is all about systems. Zelda is basically Far Cry 2 on speed with Nintendo polish and world design

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you want to talk about 'quirky writing' for night in the woods?

re7 is way worse. this dumb fuck lead protagonist will NOT stop making jokes in completely inopportune times.

Top Bottom