• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I was just catching up on the gdc live show archive today and I think the gb crew did an amazing job and the guests were interesting as always but I cannot easily express in words just how different it feels without Ryan. It was informal in a way it felt you could wander in from the street and into a space where all these interesting people who you knew about were acting out and you could just lean against a wall in the corner of the room and chill with a beer and listen to the interesting conversation that would always organically form; at the cetera of it all was Ryan would always just barely hold it together even though it always seemed like it could come apart at the seams any given moment.

I know I'll grow to appreciate the new stuff even more as time goes on but everything right now still feels like a milestone relative to last summer so its hard to not compare these familiar experiences to the past.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah it's definitely different. I wonder if they'll do anything on the site for the anniversary. Devoting the day or weekend on the site to a cycle of Ryan content (like they did last year) would be nice.

Jintor

Yeah it's definitely different. I wonder if they'll do anything on the site for the anniversary. Devoting the day or weekend on the site to a cycle of Ryan content (like they did last year) would be nice.

I think this is a good idea, but I also think they might just gloss over (well, not gloss over it, but just not mark it). It's kind of a painful day for Patrick in particular...

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think this is a good idea, but I also think they might just gloss over (well, not gloss over it, but just not mark it). It's kind of a painful day for Patrick in particular...

Yeah maybe, and it is entirely up to them how they want to handle it. Not to burden any of them with expectations of any kind, but I reckon there'll be at least some mention of it. Rorie might do another article, or, even though you're right about Pat, I could just as easily see him put his thoughts into an article, considering his tendency to discuss difficult subjects (although this is very different).

kvk1

It's russian circus performers who are taking their babies and swinging them around in crazy ways to ,they believe, help the babies become limber for a circus performing life style.

There's a part where he's swinging a baby back and forth by the arm and you can see what almost looks like it's bone popping out of its socket.

There's a part where the man grabs the baby by the head/neck and swings it back and forth - just seconds earlier you could see the baby beginning to cry but during that the babies face was turned away from the camera.

He bends the baby into the shape of a C backwards, so like head nearly touching it's own butt, again, you can see the baby begin crying right before.

What.

What.

Jintor

BlREp1qCMAAAD7l.jpg:large

sauce (thanks mrg)

kaskade

Are they posting an archived stream of the PAX panel on their site or should I just use the Twitch archive?

Can't wait to see a Trials quick look.

Patryn

Are they posting an archived stream of the PAX panel on their site or should I just use the Twitch archive?

Can't wait to see a Trials quick look.

There will be an official archive that will be different than the Twitch stream. Drew was filming separately.

grkazan12

I was just catching up on the gdc live show archive today and I think the gb crew did an amazing job and the guests were interesting as always but I cannot easily express in words just how different it feels without Ryan. It was informal in a way it felt you could wander in from the street and into a space where all these interesting people who you knew about were acting out and you could just lean against a wall in the corner of the room and chill with a beer and listen to the interesting conversation that would always organically form; at the cetera of it all was Ryan would always just barely hold it together even though it always seemed like it could come apart at the seams any given moment.

I know I'll grow to appreciate the new stuff even more as time goes on but everything right now still feels like a milestone relative to last summer so its hard to not compare these familiar experiences to the past.

I loved the GDC show they had, but it definitely has a different feeling compared to last year. I mean you'll never replace Ryan, the dude was amazing at what he did. I just hope they can add more on camera/personality staff to the SF crew. It feels barren since the passing of Ryan and Patrick moving away.

Personally, I think they should look more for people who are amazing in videos and live show situations. People with good improv like experience would be great, I don't mean like performing skits, but just in terms of playing off other people in quick looks, Ryan was the King of it in my opinion.

Patryn

I loved the GDC show they had, but it definitely has a different feeling compared to last year. I mean you'll never replace Ryan, the dude was amazing at what he did. I just hope they can add more on camera/personality staff to the SF crew. It feels barren since the passing of Ryan and Patrick moving away.

Personally, I think they should look more for people who are amazing in videos and live show situations. People with good improv like experience would be great, I don't mean like performing skits, but just in terms of playing off other people in quick looks, Ryan was the King of it in my opinion.

The first goal is to hire more behind-the-scenes video people.

grkazan12

Good point patryn, hopefully CBSi can approve additions to get the ball rolling. I remember Jeff that their subscriber numbers are increasing year over year, so they're definitely growing which is awesome.

Patryn

Good point patryn, hopefully CBSi can approve additions to get the ball rolling. I remember Jeff that their subscriber numbers are increasing year over year, so they're definitely growing which is awesome.

They're already in the process of getting those reqs ready. CBSi has definitely approved some additional hiring, we just don't know how much.

Fox318

Even if their subs are up I can't see CBSi wanting to hire more staff.

I don't think they view Giantbomb as part of their long term future goals like they would if Gamespot or Gamefaqs needed staff.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Even if their subs are up I can't see CBSi wanting to hire more staff.

I don't think they view Giantbomb as part of their long term future goals like they would if Gamespot or Gamefaqs needed staff.

Then why did they buy them? Unless they were actually purchasing the tech team and GB just came along with it?

Patryn

Then why did they buy them? Unless they were actually purchasing the tech team and GB just came along with it?

Except the tech and most of the team went to Berman Braun. I think Dave was pretty much the only dev who came with Giant Bomb and Comic Vine.

Also, again, the last we heard was that CBSi DID APPROVE additional hiring. Jeff and Vinny seem to be working on putting together the wording on the reqs, and they'll likely be looking for people soon.

Just don't expect it to be in front of the camera people. It'll be people nobody has heard of who can work in the control room to help out Vinny and Drew and allow them to be on camera more often.

Fox318

They purchased them for their tech team. At the time Wikia was the largest gaming site based on page views and CBS wanted to have a wiki-like platform for the future. For years they were trying to patch up Gamespot and Gamefaqs when they needed a complete rebuild.
Except the tech and most of the team went to Berman Braun. I think Dave was pretty much the only dev who came with Giant Bomb and Comic Vine.

Also, again, the last we heard was that CBSi DID APPROVE additional hiring. Jeff and Vinny seem to be working on putting together the wording on the reqs, and they'll likely be looking for people soon.

Just don't expect it to be in front of the camera people. It'll be people nobody has heard of who can work in the control room to help out Vinny and Drew and allow them to be on camera more often.

That's not what I remember reading. Also didn't Berman Braun fire most of the team after the acquisition anyway?

Patryn

That's not what I remember reading. Also didn't Berman Braun fire most of the team after the acquisition anyway?

Not sure about the firings, but the tech definitely went to Berman Braun. It's why Dave and Alexis (who I forgot about, so he's another dev) had to completely redesign Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. It wasn't said, but it appeared that they had a year to get off the old tech and move to something new.

Scythian

So they're not uploading the PAX panel? I missed it, so If they're not officially uploading it, I'll just see if I can watch it raw on Twitch or something. Need my GB fix! and the podcast doesn't cut it for me!

Patryn

So they're not uploading the PAX panel? I missed it, so If they're not officially uploading it, I'll just see if I can watch it raw on Twitch or something. Need my GB fix! and the podcast doesn't cut it for me!

They will be uploading it. It just may be a couple days. They likely have to do some editing as they were filming with multiple cameras.

No they are uploading it, but the twitch stream was 1 camera and they had at least 2, so the archive on GB will prolly have fancy camera edits and fixes to audio levels and such and means it may take a bit of time to be uploaded

erawsd

Yeah, Jeff has specifically said he wants to hire someone to manage the business side of Giant Bomb and someone that can help run the control room. I don't recall any mentions of new "on air personalities".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wish Carroe could escape her F2P hellhole and join GB, she would blend in so well (assuming she would ever want to get back to writing about games instead of making)

fleck0

This will probably get me on some list... But I want to know what Jeff and Eric submitted to the 404 panel that got turned down by Pat.

Slixshot

Banned
Can someone explain to me what Eric pope did? I haven't watched the vid and don't really plan to. I would appreciate a quick little summary though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Can someone explain to me what Eric pope did? I haven't watched the vid and don't really plan to. I would appreciate a quick little summary though.

This is one of the videos he brought to a comedy presentation.

This may sound crazy but genuine fucking child abuse.

It's russian circus performers who are taking their babies and swinging them around in crazy ways to ,they believe, help the babies become limber for a circus performing life style.

There's a part where he's swinging a baby back and forth by the arm and you can see what almost looks like it's bone popping out of its socket.

There's a part where the man grabs the baby by the head/neck and swings it back and forth - just seconds earlier you could see the baby beginning to cry but during that the babies face was turned away from the camera.

He bends the baby into the shape of a C backwards, so like head nearly touching it's own butt, again, you can see the baby begin crying right before.

Not the slightest bit funny, it's just these men abusing these children simply because they believe they have a right to since they're theirs.

popo

They purchased them for their tech team. At the time Wikia was the largest gaming site based on page views and CBS wanted to have a wiki-like platform for the future. For years they were trying to patch up Gamespot and Gamefaqs when they needed a complete rebuild.

You got it backwards. All the tech went with BB. They wanted to publishing system. All the engineers left of their own accord almost to the day a year after the acquisition (speculation was they had year long contracts).

That is why they had to redesign the site from scratch.

Mesoian

Let me tell you about how many reps I did in the gym this morning...

I feel bad for him because he had this preexisting persona that was working super well for him at Destructoid, and there was no real transition period for him so all of a sudden, this new guy is talking about lifting and exercise and video games and all of the GB fandom was just confused.

Bringing in new talent like that needs to be done in a much more massaged way. Dropping new people into the shit (so to speak) is a terrible way to let people know what kind of person they are.

PodToid was the best when it was Aaron Lindee, Brad Nicholson, Jim Sterling, Sammit Sarkar and Anthony Burch. I can't even listen to it anymore, it's just not the same.

wizard

Banned
I feel bad for him because he had this preexisting persona that was working super well for him at Destructoid, and there was no real transition period for him so all of a sudden, this new guy is talking about lifting and exercise and video games and all of the GB fandom was just confused.

Bringing in new talent like that needs to be done in a much more massaged way. Dropping new people into the shit (so to speak) is a terrible way to let people know what kind of person they are.

PodToid was the best when it was Aaron Lindee, Brad Nicholson, Jim Sterling, Sammit Sarkar and Anthony Burch. I can't even listen to it anymore, it's just not the same.

Nah podtoid was at it's best when it was Sterling, Scoville, Long and Holmes.

Patryn

I think Jeff would count the introduction of Brad Nicholson as one of the greatest mistakes GB has ever made.

That, and doing ERs.

I'm kidding about the ER part.... but if I ever had the chance to have a totally honest conversation with Jeff I'd love to ask him if, given what he knows now, he would still have done the Persona 4 ER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom