• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never understood why it takes them so long to address their own concerns. If they feel they need more staff then get on it, it doesn't take a year. Everything has the vibe of "we'll just do it later" yet very little materialises.

But hey, they live by the shackles of CBS so it isn't on them, right?

you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to:

a) get anything done regarding expenditures in a large corporation
b) hire new staff onto a small, tightly-knit team

because if you did, you wouldn't have made this post.

Recall

you have absolutely no idea how hard it is to:

a) get anything done regarding expenditures in a large corporation
b) hire new staff onto a small, tightly-knit team

because if you did, you wouldn't have made this post.

So a budget for going to events and doing what they need to cover them and but no budget to add a new member since Ryan passed?

Jeff, Vinny and Patrick have brought up the point in needing someone new. They raised the concern I just asked why is it taking so long? Budgets, right I get it. Budgets. Budgets. Budgets.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So a budget for going to events and doing what they need to cover them and but no budget to add a new member since Ryan passed?

Jeff, Vinny and Patrick have brought up the point in needing someone new. They raised the concern I just asked why is it taking so long? Budgets, right I get it. Budgets. Budgets. Budgets.

They did get the budget. Now do you understand that it takes time to find new hires and also to make sure they have the skills you need?

Recall

They did get the budget. Now do you understand that it takes time to find new hires and also to make sure they have the skills you need?

It takes time? A year, or two? Really? A year?

I don't give a shit if it takes them 10. Giantbomb can do what it wants and its own leisurely pace, but if the team know it takes time then why bring it up? Why mention we are looking for someone when clearly they aren't in a position to?

Red UFO

It takes time? A year, or two? Really? A year?

I don't give a shit if it takes them 10. Giantbomb can do what it wants and its own leisurely pace, but if the team know it takes time then why bring it up? Why mention we are looking for someone when clearly they aren't in a position to?
As somebody who works in a large company (just short of 100,000 employees world wide), and who is in a department that is hiring, yes, it can take that long. And consider how specific the requirements are for a position at Giant Bomb. You need the skills, the personality, the interests, the charisma, etc.

Mully

Listen to their stories about purchasing PS4's and X1's through CBSi and it'd be pretty easy to understand how difficult anything gets done in a big corporation like that. Heck most of the new stuff they've bought since joining CBSi has been bought by Jeff, Vinny, and Brad, only to be expensed later.

popo

Isn't Van Ord EIC? I don't really know any more.

Anyway, I just remembered that they tried that GS/GB Wednesday show that was mostly a disaster. But that doesn't mean for QLs or podcasts they can't just get someone to just fill in.

I think did away with the EIC title after Torres left but Justin Calvert seems to be head of editorial over there.

I thought they moved off amazon with the site redesign? Moved to Akuma/Akira/Anime - well it sounded something like that anyway, google isn't giving up the name :p

MaxiLive

to be honest I bet they don't want to take anyone on just due to having to deal with 6 months of interweb backlash nevermind how good the newbie would be. Especially if it was an unknown person then it would be 10x worse.

They currently work fine as their are now and are trying to plug the holes with more guests/variety in their content. They are far less a gaming journalism/industry website and more of a set of entertainers/lets players with slightly more thoughtful comments and experience.

to be honest I bet they don't want to take anyone on just due to having to deal with 6 months of interweb backlash nevermind how good the newbie would be. Especially if it was an unknown person then it would be 10x worse.

They currently work fine as their are now and are trying to plug the holes with more guests/variety in their content. They are far less a gaming journalism/industry website and more of a set of entertainers/lets players with slightly more thoughtful comments and experience.

That is why it is best to debut a newcomer as a video editor (NXT), ans slowly bring them forward to the main roster, before giving them a catchy catchphrase that will get them over on the largest stage of them all.- The Big Big Live Show Live 2014.

I doubt very seriously this even crosses their mind. Those people would be there regardless of who they'd hire and they know that. Plus I'm pretty sure they've said they're going for off-camera talent first, which would do nothing more than give more screen time and free time for Drew and Vinny, and who the hell could be negative about that?

malts

I think did away with the EIC title after Torres left but Justin Calvert seems to be head of editorial over there.

I thought they moved off amazon with the site redesign? Moved to Akuma/Akira/Anime - well it sounded something like that anyway, google isn't giving up the name :p

Akamai is what you're looking for.

Mechazawa

As far as I know they want to hire production/business/backend staffs, not on-screen personalities.

He's mentioned on his tumblr that he wants both production and content hires. He said in the NYU talk he's interested in bringing in freelance people through Patrick, but also talked about a screening process that involves testing for good camera/podcast presence. He also mentioned in that talk that they're just not pumping out as much content as he'd like to be.

It seems pretty clear that they're looking to bring in some permanent, fresh faces.

LiK

Finally watched the PAX East panel and Rumble last night. Man, that was glorious. The QA section didn't let me down. The guy who asked the question that bummed everyone out really annoyed me tho. Sorry, I wasn't in the mood for that when everything was so funny at the time. Don't be a downer at the QA!

Darklord

Banned
I've never understood why it takes them so long to address their own concerns. If they feel they need more staff then get on it, it doesn't take a year. Everything has the vibe of "we'll just do it later" yet very little materialises.

But hey, they live by the shackles of CBS so it isn't on them, right?

Things move slow in large corporations.

grkazan12

That is why it is best to debut a newcomer as a video editor (NXT), ans slowly bring them forward to the main roster, before giving them a catchy catchphrase that will get them over on the largest stage of them all.- The Big Big Live Show Live 2014.

Wow, so it really is like wrestling.

Can we even come up with any personalities that could work at Giantbomb? My pick would have been Justin McElroy, dude would be great, but he's in the east coast and working for Polygon. Would it just be someone completely new to the business?

Wow, so it really is like wrestling.

Can we even come up with any personalities that could work at Giantbomb? My pick would have been Justin McElroy, dude would be great, but he's in the east coast and working for Polygon. Would it just be someone completely new to the business?

Cara Ellison is always my random pick. She could bring something new to the site with the content she could post, but seems to (based solely on the two Bombin' in the AM's she was in) have a personality that would compliment the main crew.

I guess she would not want to do it - as she is currently working on other things, but I think she would be a good pick - even though certain parts of the GB audience might not like her as part of the team.

Patryn

Again, clearly you have no idea how big corporations work. Yes, they could get a budget for going to events. No, they cannot use that money to hire new people because it's been designated for events only.

There's a lot of bureaucracy in big corporations. They had to wait for the correct time in order to submit their request for additional budget to hire new people. That has to be reviewed and approved, the language on the job description has to be approved, then you have to actually look for people. And in many cases if you don't fill the position by a certain date, you lose the opening and have to start the whole process all over again.

It's so painful that Danny is the perfect fit for Giant Bomb (and arguably better than most of the og guys) but will never join them properly.

He's already pretty much a regular on UPF. We just need him on the Bombcast.

Um, yes... Their travel/event expenses would be a completely separate budget from their staff budget, both of which would have to be approved separately by higher ups, and I can say first hand that getting approval to hire on new staff in a large corporation can take forever. The GB guys only recently got that approval.

Man, Machine, A Futon...

9fQToO4l.jpg

popo

Fucking PAX POX. They should have decontamination showers before the dirty bastards are allowed to interact with other humans. One of these days it is going to mutate and the CDC are going to have to nuke the convention centre.

Akamai is what you're looking for.

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom