• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mully

Yeah, smart uni students vs crazy people at pax. The way to solve this is to hold all Giant bomb panels at a uni.

Jeff mentioned he's been thinking about a college tour during the PAX meetup as well as the PAX panel. He didn't specify if it would be just him or GB.

Patryn

Jeff mentioned he's been thinking about a college tour during the PAX meetup as well as the PAX panel. He didn't specify if it would be just him or GB.

This is as likely as the Raid.

So.... it's never going to happen. Just accept that, and move on.

Zaph

Yeah, smart uni students vs crazy people at pax. The way to solve this is to hold all Giant bomb panels at a uni.

It ain't even just that, I'm sure there are lots of smart people at PAX. But in my experience at large, public panels with only limited time for Q&A, to get in line in time you have to bum rush the mic. And well adjusted people do not bum rush a mic just to ask a question.

But anyway, I don't even find the audience interaction that bad, yeah it's cringy and some people are completely tone deaf (like the guy who talked about GB getting him through hard times, yeah that's nice, but time and place dude. Thank them in private) but it illustrates how pro the guys are at turning everything into a positive and giving a great answer. Especially Patrick.

Mully

This is as likely as the Raid.

So.... it's never going to happen. Just accept that, and move on.

I wouldn't be so sure. He's mentioned before he'd love to do a cross country tour. I think GB's intention at going to PAX Australia last year was the first experiment in touring. I'm pretty confident when CBSi allows them to hire more than one guy (they mentioned that they're only looking for a video editor during the meetup) they'll attempt doing a university tour.

Trials Quick Look in the usual timeslot tomorrow. All is forgiven.

Although Brad will likely be leading it, so I am sure someone will get mad at something.

It felt like less a question and more a reason to just say that they had touched him though.

His question, if I'm remembering correctly, was "Have you ever been helped through hard times by something like this?" which is sort of a pretty empty question unless you expect them to respond very personally.

There's nothing wrong with him wanting to share his appreciation for them because they helped him through rough times, but this didn't really seem the most appropriate avenue to do that.

But anyway, I don't even find the audience interaction that bad, yeah it's cringy and some people are completely tone deaf (like the guy who talked about GB getting him through hard times, yeah that's nice, but time and place dude. Thank them in private) but it illustrates how pro the guys are at turning everything into a positive and giving a great answer. Especially Patrick.

What avenue would be appropriate for that? They were there in-person, he thought he'd rather convey his appreciation like that rather through an email. They wouldn't have time to talk to him one-on-one, so I can see the reasoning.

Zaph

What avenue would be appropriate for that? They were there in-person, he thought he'd rather convey his appreciation like that rather through an email. They wouldn't have time to talk to him one-on-one, so I can see the reasoning.
It's a judgement call. You gauge the atmosphere of the room and act accordingly. Killing the vibe like that, while genuine and well intentioned, comes across a bit 'special'.

If there's no other opportunity during PAX or the meetup, then just...don't?

Lunzio

To add a small piece to this conversation, I will admit that the question regarding loss immediately took me by surprise and certainly felt awkward at first. This changed as Patrick answered, however, and the dude's follow-up with how much GB has helped him was entirely appropriate.

There was still some cringeworthy questions like "Why Sony and Microsoft are losing money if they sell a lot in their console divisions?" or "Steam is the most malicious DRM?", less because they award but because seem to be from a bad Neogaf thread.

It's a judgement call. You gauge the atmosphere of the room and act accordingly. Killing the vibe like that, while genuine and well intentioned, comes across a bit 'special'.

If there's no other opportunity during PAX or the meetup, then just...don't?

This is not Giant Bomb's first rodeo at this kind of thing. If Giant Bomb genuinely had an issue with the type of questions or things that are talked about, they can give guidelines on this stuff by themselves. "No questions about personal lives...", etc. I'm not going to be the one to dictate that kind of stuff, Giant Bomb staff are wise enough of what to expect and demand.

BiggNife

There was still some cringeworthy questions like "Why Sony and Microsoft are losing money if they sell a lot in their console divisions?" or "Steam is the most malicious DRM?", less because they award but because seem to be from a bad Neogaf thread.

You're always going to have a few clunkers during a live Q&A because nothing is filtered. Still a much better good-to-bad ratio than the PAX Q&As.

Really hope they can get more staff soon

https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/456584310892412928
Danny O'Dwyer @dannyodwyer
Giant Bomb is a little understaffed today.
BlYdAvECAAAPI3A.jpg:large

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This is not Giant Bomb's first rodeo at this kind of thing. If Giant Bomb genuinely had an issue with the type of questions or things that are talked about, they can give guidelines on this stuff by themselves. "No questions about personal lives...", etc. I'm not going to be the one to dictate that kind of stuff, Giant Bomb staff are wise enough of what to expect and demand.

I don't think anyones saying that people should be required by rule to NOT ask these questions, just that they're probably not very appropriate for the atmosphere of the show.

Like they shouldn't make a rule that says "No crude questions" but that doesn't mean you should ask if people scrunch or fold when they wipe.

Alfredo

I've been to many a nerd convention, and questions are almost always silly and awkward. Whatever, I don't really care, because I'm not the one having to answer.

However, when I went to a Jim Sterling/Adam Sessler panel at the ScrewAttack Gaming Convention last year, they passed out pieces of paper, had people write on them topics of discussion, and collected them. Then they just screened the questions/topics that way. That sort of worked...probably... I don't know, I didn't stay that long.

This is getting pretty ridiculous.

They really only have 5 people in the SF office; with Vinny on vacation, Jeff sick and Rorie working on backend stuff, Drew and Brad are all that's left to hold down the fort. Watching the NYU interview, Jeff did say that they were greenlit for hiring people to help Vinny and Drew as well as new editors so here's hoping we see some new people soon.

They really only have 5 people in the SF office; with Vinny on vacation, Jeff sick and Rorie working on backend stuff, Drew and Brad are all that's left to hold down the fort. Watching the NYU interview, Jeff did say that they were greenlit for hiring people to help Vinny and Drew as well as new editors so here's hoping we see some new people soon.

I feel like Jeff has been talking about "bigger things" for years now. It must be frustrating to have made such little visible progress. Hopefully things change now that he's seemingly convinced CBSi to put more money in!

Cruz

Neo Member
Hey guys during the pax panel Jeff said something about a live stream of him and Alex going driving to pax. Did this happen and if so, may i have a link please

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't get why GB and GS don't just share more editorial resources. It's not quite the height of 1up.com, but in those days they pulled people from all the magazines together to make content. The fact that Danny is doing a paid podcast for GB means that there doesn't seem to be any real rule against having the two teams work together more, so I don't understand why it doesn't happen more often.

Lingitiz

I don't get why GB and GS don't just share more editorial resources. It's not quite the height of 1up.com, but in those days they pulled people from all the magazines together to make content. The fact that Danny is doing a paid podcast for GB means that there doesn't seem to be any real rule against having the two teams work together more, so I don't understand why it doesn't happen more often.

Danny (along with Chris Waters) is basically the face of Gamespot at this point. It's not gonna happen, he's probably stretched thin as it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Danny (along with Chris Waters) is basically the face of Gamespot at this point. It's not gonna happen, he's probably stretched thin as it is.
Isn't Van Ord EIC? I don't really know any more.

Anyway, I just remembered that they tried that GS/GB Wednesday show that was mostly a disaster. But that doesn't mean for QLs or podcasts they can't just get someone to just fill in.

I wish Patrick would find a better filler than "like." I feel like a horrible person for picking on a person's filler words, but "like" can be so grating if overused.

You may now throw rotten fruit at me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That was a pretty great Q&A.

the questions are always mail bag tier, not sure why so many people get huffy and puffy about em.

Recall

I've never understood why it takes them so long to address their own concerns. If they feel they need more staff then get on it, it doesn't take a year. Everything has the vibe of "we'll just do it later" yet very little materialises.

But hey, they live by the shackles of CBS so it isn't on them, right?

FluxWaveZ

I've never understood why it takes them so long to address their own concerns. If they feel they need more staff then get on it, it doesn't take a year. Everything has the vibe of "we'll just do it later" yet very little materialises.

They're just getting used to the new office.

Zoggy

its called budgets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom