• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb @ E3 2014 | Ice Cream Truck vs. The Electronic Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

chogidogs

In an ideal world, sure. But we do not live in an ideal world, and sometimes we need to drag ourselves there a little bit. An ideal world would allow me my to pluck a series of developers and just happen upon a more diverse cast. That wouldn't happen, so I need to seek that out, while also trying to make sure we accomplish our goal of entertaining the audience. Giant Bomb has a pretty limited rolodex of regulars that we need to expand. Really tough to see the harm in that.

That's kind of sad to hear. From a Filipino kid in the Philippines who has followed the site since it started, I did so because I have trusted the vision of the site from the get go. It's all about the games and games are just that, games. It's dumb but I love it. You guys have covered it exactly the way I wanted you to. Casually. And yeah, sure, there are intelligent conversations to be had about how it's made or how it's covered but i visit the site everyday because of the humor and the insights.

I don't care if you guys are all white guys. You had Dino Ignacio that one time, and he's a hero of mine. He's is interesting and all but I don't mind having him not on. I just want interesting stuff to listen to. And if white guys have the best stories, insight or opinions RIGHT NOW, I feel like you shouldn't let that affect your booking. I want relevant conversations, not just people who are there for the sake of being there.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
That's kind of sad to hear. From a Filipino kid in the Philippines who has followed the site since it started, I did so because I have trusted the vision of the site from the get go. It's all about the games and games are just that, games. It's dumb but I love it. You guys have covered it exactly the way I wanted you to. Casually. And yeah, sure, there are intelligent conversations to be had about how it's made or how it's covered but i visit the site everyday because of the humor and the insights.

I don't care if you guys are all white guys. You had Dino Ignacio that one time, and he's a hero of mine. He's is interesting and all but I don't mind having him not on. I just want interesting stuff to listen to. And if white guys have the best stories, insight or opinions RIGHT NOW, I feel like you shouldn't let that affect your booking. I want relevant conversations, not just people who are there for the sake of being there.

You act like we can't do both. We can! That's my challenge. The options are not mutually exclusive.

Zaph

In an ideal world, sure. But we do not live in an ideal world, and sometimes we need to drag ourselves there a little bit. An ideal world would allow me my to pluck a series of developers and just happen upon a more diverse cast. That wouldn't happen, so I need to seek that out, while also trying to make sure we accomplish our goal of entertaining the audience. Giant Bomb has a pretty limited rolodex of regulars that we need to expand. Really tough to see the harm in that.

That's really good to hear and I look forward to it, but (I don't mean this to come across as insulting your work ethic) I hope you guys don't just take the easy route by just inviting more minority guests from the enthusiast press or the extreme fringes of game development like Zoe Quinn.

It's great these guys are doing what they're doing, but I don't go to Giant Bomb during events like GDC or E3 to hear a bunch of journos postulate about an industry they cover, but are not part of - even if the work they're doing is admirable. Instead I'd love to see you guys use your weight and industry standing to grab minority developers from the games we actually play and that make up the vast majority of the site's coverage.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Day 1 - 3 hours of Drake, Johnny V, Dave Lang

Rest of the shows, 3 guests maximum at a time (unless those people represent the same company/game), 3 segments at 45m-1 hour each. Quality over quantity.

More Vinny

Bring developers on of franchises the guys are fans of. Ed Boon's appearance was great because Jeff loves the games he's made.

Really easy to see the harm in how certain people go about that, and certain people are just out there for the fight, not those goals.

chogidogs

You act like we can't do both. We can! That's my challenge. The options are not mutually exclusive.

You know what? With all of the changes happening on the site right now which are literally out of my control. I guess there's no better time than now. Alot of the criticism that had happened in the passed few days came from people who casually visit the site because of the attention of E3. I hope you don't forget about the people who visit daily because we just love you guys regardless of the decisions you make.

Jintor

You know what? With all of the changes happening on the site right now which are literally out of my control. I guess there's no better time than now. Alot of the criticism that had happened in the passed few days came from people = who casually visit the site because of the attention of E3. I hope you don't forget about the people who visit daily because we just love you guys regardless of the decisions you make.

Hey yo we're not all giant bomb casuals here y'know some of us diversity-mongers are old hands too

Dragon

Banned
You know what? With all of the changes happening on the site right now which are literally out of my control. I guess there's no better time than now. Alot of the criticism that had happened in the passed few days came from people who casually visit the site because of the attention of E3. I hope you don't forget about the people who visit daily because we just love you guys regardless of the decisions you make.

It's a tough thing: skirting the line between new people and the hardcore fans of the site. But GB obviously wants to continue to grow and converting casual users to loyal users is the goal of pretty much every site out there.

BTW Patrick tell Alex that neogaf isn't the dogs and cats living together horrible dystopia he seems to think it is :).

popo

Remember that Jeff had at least a hand in hiring Sara (comic vine), Ana (Tested/video) and Norm. So it isn't as if he cares about sex or race if the right person for the job applies.

I can only think of a handful of non white males and maybe a dozen women in the games press that don't already have a full time job and would live in the SF area. If even a tenth of these applied for the GB job the odds were always against one of them being the best candidate.

RE : Patrick booking. I imagine it is hard to say no to anyone who wants to be on and I guess you would have to actually ask many more than you really want, given a percentage will not be able. Maybe if the space allowed a better solution would to just have a party atmosphere - like at the GDC show - and then cherry pick smaller panels from that while the rest do not feel left out drinking and chatting amongst themselves.

I guess it's just the idea that someone who might be more entertaining on the show or someone who is working on something that people are really interested in might be passed over because they don't diversify the rest of the panel is kind of weird.

I don't doubt that it's possible to do both and I appreciate the effort but the hope is that it will always be the most interesting /entertaining guests. Like Blow and Cliff. There conversations and different opinions was damn near perfect.

It also bugs me that one of the panels you guys were called out on included: The founder of Oculus, the biggest name in VR, two Hello Games devs, currently making the most intriguing / attention grabbing game in years, and Greg Kasavin from Super Giant who just put out Transistor. It was an amazing cast that any video game site would have killed to have, but it was reduced to "white guys" by someone with an agenda on the internet.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I don't just care about stuff like that as much as some people. I just want funny/interesting things to watch.

That's fine, but you're still looking at it as if bringing in more diversity means NO MORE FUN! Which is obviously not going to be the case.

And yeah I've been following Jeff et al. since like 2005. 2legit

I haven't read every post about this so yet, but I think it's important to keep in mind that in an industry filled with white males, merely being a woman/minority means that you have a fairly rare and valuable perspective on the games industry. So saying "Oh, you shouldn't have people on just because they're a woman/black/whatever" is a bit... reductive? Having women "for the sake of having women" is not necessarily a bad thing; it just means you're looking to have a more complete variety of perspectives. And it's not like people like Zoe Quinn don't have a hell of a lot more to offer than just their gender, either. Diversity comes in many forms. Gender is one of them.

Not sure if I'm wording this correctly but hopefully you see what I'm getting at. The point being that in a very gender-biased industry, the solution is not just pretending to be gender-blind.

Scizzy

Yeah, sorry about that. I guess I don't just care about stuff like that as much as some people. I just want funny/interesting things to watch.

Us diversity mongers want lots of funny and interesting things to watch too. We just think having more perspectives involved in the site would make it even more funny and interesting.

Jintor

Zoe Quinn is actually primarily filling GB's cyborg quota for the month. They're very lucky, most companies fail that PC check

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/477939237309145089

*rubs hands* I smell the birth of a new clueless GB Sports Club over in New York.

That said, the world cup really has been fantastic so far.

This is something I hope Drew and Danny try out with Alt-F1, given that Drew already has a decent understanding of what's going on. Grab someone else from the crew, ideally one who's never seen an F1 race and try and get them into it. Or at least, get them to watch that weekend's race and hear about their attempts to understand what was going on and what they thought of it.

(Could work with the Power Bombcast as well)

sneaky77

My favorite panel in terms of conversation was Day 3 indie panel with the Vlambeer? guy, everytime he comes one he is well spoken and he is great to listen to.

For the most part most segments were great, yeah sometimes it gets crazy but alcohol.. and some people are introverted in big groups and have an issue just speaking out, it happens.

I think you guys did a great job overall.

Zaph

My favorite panel in terms of conversation was Day 3 indie panel with the Vlambeer? guy, everytime he comes one he is well spoken and he is great to listen to.

For the most part most segments were great, yeah sometimes it gets crazy but alcohol.. and some people are introverted in big groups and have an issue just speaking out, it happens.

I think you guys did a great job overall.
Rami is one of the rare gems in the industry. I don't understand how he's able to be so knowledgeable and articulate about so many topics.

You should check out his blog too if you haven't already. Really great stuff. Especially liked how he handled the concerns regarding Luftrauser's art.

njean777

Patrick I really had no problem with the guests, I guess the only thing I could advise is to maybe have smaller panels, and keep the alcohol down. It is kinda hard to understand people when they are shitfaced and kind of ruining the other insightful conversation going on. I am not saying no alcohol, but sometimes when guests get shit faced it is not good for conversation.

My only problem with GB's E3 coverage has been there video interviews. "hay here is the token Johnny V / Ed Boon / whoever we personally know who has a game coming interview for this event"

I know the dump truck has kind of replaced traditional video interviews for GB but it still seems like friends of the site get all the exposure with video interviews and everyone else is left in the dump truck ghetto.

Patryn

I haven't read every post about this so yet, but I think it's important to keep in mind that in an industry filled with white males, merely being a woman/minority means that you have a fairly rare and valuable perspective on the games industry. So saying "Oh, you shouldn't have people on just because they're a woman/black/whatever" is a bit... reductive? Having women "for the sake of having women" is not necessarily a bad thing; it just means you're looking to have a more complete variety of perspectives. And it's not like people like Zoe Quinn don't have a hell of a lot more to offer than just their gender, either. Diversity comes in many forms. Gender is one of them.

Not sure if I'm wording this correctly but hopefully you see what I'm getting at. The point being that in a very gender-biased industry, the solution is not just pretending to be gender-blind.
This actually a good point. They may not be insiders, but the fashion of how they are outsiders brings a unique perspective with it.

Here's what I liked about GB's night shows thoroughly: People talking intelligently about games.

People drunkenly doing the shit you'd pretend not to know people for when you're out at night is SUPER entertaining for like two minutes and then I tune out of the stream because E3 got me hyped about video games and not loud yelling about how crowded the show floor is.

UrbanRats

Rami is one of the rare gems in the industry. I don't understand how he's able to be so knowledgeable and articulate about so many topics.

You should check out his blog too if you haven't already. Really great stuff. Especially liked how he handled the concerns regarding Luftrauser's art.

Got a link for that?

Myggen

I guess it's just the idea that someone who might be more entertaining on the show or someone who is working on something that people are really interested in might be passed over because they don't diversify the rest of the panel is kind of weird.

I don't doubt that it's possible to do both and I appreciate the effort but the hope is that it will always be the most interesting /entertaining guests. Like Blow and Cliff. There conversations and different opinions was damn near perfect.

It also bugs me that one of the panels you guys were called out on included: The founder of Oculus, the biggest name in VR, two Hello Games devs, currently making the most intriguing / attention grabbing game in years, and Greg Kasavin from Super Giant who just put out Transistor. It was an amazing cast that any video game site would have killed to have, but it was reduced to "white guys" by someone with an agenda on the internet.

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom