• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb @ E3 2014 | Ice Cream Truck vs. The Electronic Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

icet-590x330.jpg

pronk420

have they said if they will do anything with the destiny alpha? seems like bad timing since they will all be dead from e3 this weekend :( i'd really like to see them playing it though

Scizzy

Guys, we can complain about the lack of women in Giant Bomb, but we all know the real person keeping it from happening: Brad "woman-hater" Shoemaker.

(Can anyone even remember why someone called Brad a woman-hater? I think it was because he liked South Park, but I'm too lazy to look and I like not knowing for sure).

Guys, we can complain about the lack of women in Giant Bomb, but we all know the real person keeping it from happening: Brad "woman-hater" Shoemaker.

(Can anyone even remember why someone called Brad a woman-hater? I think it was because he liked South Park, but I'm too lazy to look and I like not knowing for sure).

It was because he did not like mention Lara Croft in the game of the year awards. Maybe it was because Tomb Raider was not all that great or maybe Brad just hates women.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I find it hilarious that Justin McElroy got the developers (and his accent of course) of the Sherlock Holmes devs wrong again this year, for the third time in a row. I think he called them Czech in the past, this time they were French. In reality they are from Ukraine.

Also, if people want more diversity on the panels, they could just name some names they want to see. I like Lucy James for example, who works for the UK show G!nx and also does some stuff for Sky News, Danny knows her and she was at E3.

But, I see a tweet like this and ask myself if the person even knows who's in that picture, because they are objectively good guests to have. There's one of the most important tech entrepreneur in the gaming world right now, a long term game journalist, now making great indie games and one developer of one of the most exiting games of the show. They happen to be white guys. Too bad, I guess. But replacing them because of that would just be insane.

Yeah, I think it was like Kat or something. Wrote that really bad article on why Giant Bomb was sexist because they didn't include Tomb Raider in their GotY list.

Myggen

Also, if people want more diversity on the panels, they could just name some names they want to see. I like Lucy James for example, who works for the UK show G!nx and also does some stuff for BBC News, Danny knows her and she was at E3.

But, I see a tweet like this and ask myself if the person even knows who's in that picture, because they are objectively good guests to have. There's one of the most important tech entrepreneur in the gaming world right now, a long term game journalist, now making great indie games and one developer of one of the most exiting games of the show. They happen to be white guys. Too bad, I guess. But replacing them because of that would just be insane.

Yup. Seems like a knee-jerk reaction to just post that picture and scream "WHITE GUYS!". There's not one of those guys I would switch out for many other industry people. Also, Kasavin is Russian! That's your diversity right there, son!

Hey guys, I propose we stop talking about that. Pretty much everything has been said already and I don't like when this thread is negative. It makes me sad. :(

Giant Bomb is about fun and happiness !

Hey guys, I propose we stop talking about that. Pretty much everything has been said already and I don't like when this thread is negative. It makes me sad. :(

Giant Bomb is about fun and happiness !

No, your job is not to shut down discussion when scary things like women and people with different skin colors get brought up, thanks.

Myggen

I wonder if he will debut on tuesday

Highly doubt it. He said on Twitter that he'll be in SF from the 28th this month, so my guess would be the following monday. It fits well with the "one month until the new hire starts" theme Jeff has been talking about. Still, they could do something before that/announce it before that, but I'm betting it'll be in about two weeks.

Spookie

I'm with you on that. You want equality? GB should get the most interesting and relevant folks on the show. Simply inviting guests for the sake of ticking boxes is ridiculous.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This, honestly thought Greg derailed it worse this year than Leigh Alexander ever did.

Greg Miller sucks and isn't funny. Leigh Alexander has caught SO MUCH SHIT for that one appearance on Giant Bomb, it's not even funny. Like, years later, people still joke about it. I doubt Greg's gonna hear in 3 years how he took his shirt off like a dumbass that one time, all the time.

If GB is not inviting Leigh back because of that still, there's a pretty serious problem. Also, I think attacking Giant Bomb because they didn't have enough women on is kind of bullshit, because they're clearly trying and are self-aware, but I usually don't agree with Simins and her scorch the earth style of rhetoric. Having said that, if at least one of the two new hires is not a woman, I think they've fucked up.

Spookie

Leigh Alexander has caught SO MUCH SHIT for that one appearance on Giant Bomb, it's not even funny. Like, years later, people still joke about it. I doubt Greg's gonna hear in 3 years how he took his shirt off like a dumbass that one time, all the time.

I thought it was her second appearance on the trot and she acted like a clown on both?

f0rk

This Ed Boon only segment is great.
I wish they had more panels with less people on, in the first two days the times they had loads of the same old press people it was pretty obnoxious. Couldn't form an opinion on the Kotaku lady who I hadn't seen before because she never really got a chance to say anything.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, there are two hires ?

A video editor and a "regular" editor

I thought it was her second appearance on the trot and she acted like a clown on both?

I only remember the 775 million appearance. So what though, it's been years. She does a lot of good work over at Gamasutra and she's been a good guest on Patrick and Alex's show as well.

Curufinwe

Greg Miller sucks and isn't funny. Leigh Alexander has caught SO MUCH SHIT for that one appearance on Giant Bomb, it's not even funny. Like, years later, people still joke about it. I doubt Greg's gonna hear in 3 years how he took his shirt off like a dumbass that one time, all the time.

If GB is not inviting Leigh back because of that still, there's a pretty serious problem. Also, I think attacking Giant Bomb because they didn't have enough women on is kind of bullshit, because they're clearly trying and are self-aware, but I usually don't agree with Simins and her scorch the earth style of rhetoric. Having said that, if at least one of the two new hires is not a woman, I think they've fucked up.

Or white males happened to be the best candidates for both jobs.

Patryn

Highly doubt it. He said on Twitter that he'll be in SF from the 28th this month, so my guess would be the following monday. It fits well with the "one month until the new hire starts" theme Jeff has been talking about. Still, they could do something before that/announce it before that, but I'm betting it'll be in about two weeks.
I believe I read somewhere that he said he's starting his new job on the 30th.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
A video editor and a "regular" editor

I only remember the 775 million appearance. So what though, it's been years. She does a lot of good work over at Gamasutra and she's been a good guest on Patrick and Alex's show as well.

I don't think that she has ever appeared on scoops and the wolf.

Also I doubt that she would want to return anyway considering all the harassment she got from the community. I don't think an invite really matters that much.

Spookie

I'm sure she does. But maybe she's just not a suitable guest, if they have been burned twice I can understand the apprehension.

Leah added oil to the fire over the years as well; she didn't let it go. There was this one time when Ryan semi-jokingly called her a "sociopath" because she had been acting super-weirdly on Twitter. I forget the specifics, but I remember thinking at the time that his comment was not unfounded and that she was way out of line. She still follows the GB crew on Twitter though, and I've seen Brad interact with her several times, so it's not as if they hated each other. That said, I don't think she's interested in going on the E3 podcast again. She said herself that it's not a good venue for her, as when she's caffeinated or drunk she becomes that type of person.

Anyways, I did not know she guested on Patrick's show. Could anyone tell me which one it was ? A search yielded nothing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

spiritfox

Leah added oil to the fire over the years as well; she didn't let it go. There was this one time when Ryan semi-jokingly called her a "sociopath" because she had been acting super-weirdly on Twitter. I forget the specifics, but I remember thinking at the time that his comment was not unfounded and that she was way out of line. She still follows the GB crew on Twitter though, and I've seen Brad interact with her several times, so it's not as if they hated each other. That said, I don't think she's interested in going on the E3 podcast again. She said herself that it's not a good venue for her, as when she's caffeinated or drunk she becomes that type of person.

Anyways, I did not know she guested on Patrick's show. Could anyone tell me which one it was ? A search yielded nothing.

I don't think she did. A cursory search of the archive did not show her name too.

pelican

I'm sure she does. But maybe she's just not a suitable guest, if they have been burned twice I can understand the apprehension.

Yet, Paul Barnett continues to turn up and offer nothing of worth apart from stories which all strangely enough revolve around him.

I said earlier on in the thread why was he even in the final segment?

I don't think she did. A cursory search of the archive did not show her name too.

Yeah, same.

It's a shame how it turned out with her. I really like her. She's very smart and opiniated, and overall an intelligent woman. I read quite a few of her articles on Gamasutra and her posts on her blog. Not only do I like reading her stuff, but she shares that crazy Metal Gear fanboyism with me, and hearing her talk about Metal Gear is a joy to me. I remember the first time she was on the 'cast, in '09, she had been invited by Brad specifically because Peace Walker had been announced and he wanted her thoughts on it, and she started lauding Kojima as a god-tier artist (as we should!) when the other guys were dismissing him.

She was also one of the first who defended Bayonetta when the controversy arose, saying that the game was not sexist but very female-empowering, equalizing sex with power, and managing to even change the mind of an IGN editor who had already chimed in on the subject.

I wish she'd appear again, but I don't think she will.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I'm with you on that. You want equality? GB should get the most interesting and relevant folks on the show. Simply inviting guests for the sake of ticking boxes is ridiculous.

In an ideal world, sure. But we do not live in an ideal world, and sometimes we need to drag ourselves there a little bit. An ideal world would allow me my to pluck a series of developers and just happen upon a more diverse cast. That wouldn't happen, so I need to seek that out, while also trying to make sure we accomplish our goal of entertaining the audience. Giant Bomb has a pretty limited rolodex of regulars that we need to expand. Really tough to see the harm in that.

Barrylad

Neo Member
Enjoyed all the E3 coverage, and looking forward to the new faces on the site.

I genuinely think Patrick has churned out some excellent content since moving away, so this reshuffling of things lately is a positive move in my eyes.

In an ideal world, sure. But we do not live in an ideal world, and sometimes we need to drag ourselves there a little bit. An ideal world would allow me my to pluck a series of developers and just happen upon a more diverse cast. That wouldn't happen, so I need to seek that out, while also trying to make sure we accomplish our goal of entertaining the audience. Giant Bomb has a pretty limited rolodex of regulars that we need to expand. Really tough to see the harm in that.

So what you are saying is Dan is joining Giantbomb ?

SummitAve

Banned
Yet, Paul Barnett continues to turn up and offer nothing of worth apart from stories which all strangely enough revolve around him.

I said earlier on in the thread why was he even in the final segment?

He was great on the last segment I thought. What didn't you like? He was the only one who wanted to talk about all the stupid shit these companies are spending money on at e3. That stuff was more interesting to me on day 3 since everything else had already been talked about or covered a few time over.

Zaph

I'm pretty sure more people work at Giant Bomb than Jeff and this "one" other hire. Even if you don't want to count Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and Alex as hires (and I don't see why you wouldn't count them), that still leaves way more than one hire.

Those names, out of solidarity, followed Jeff into the unknown after he was fired. I think we can forgive him for choosing to pick them up rather than having a fair and open hiring process at the launch of his start-up when it was still finding its voice and audience. Alex came later as his job from Screened was able to be saved during the split of WM by having him transfer to GB, because they wanted to save as many jobs as possible.

In those 6 years that past, Jeff has only had a single opportunity for an open editorial hire and he went with a guy who, without him, none of these conversations would probably even be happening on Giant Bomb. It was a risky hire and one that ended up being very divisive within the community. However, Jeff fought that by supporting and encouraging Patrick to continue doing what he's doing, giving Patrick the ideal platform he could ever dream of to highlight these very important issues within the industry. Jeff could have hired a more entertaining or funny personality, but he didn't, and instead got someone who pushed GB out of its comfort zone.

And we're supposed to be disappointed that he didn't hire a woman?

Well, we can also look at the people that show up on their streams and look, it's mostly white guys. Which isn't surprising. But still, it proves that when it comes to people appearing on GB streams, if Patrick didn't exist, it's highly likely would've been Leigh Alexander, Carrie Gouskas, and that's about it in the past few years.

My post wasn't referring to guests at all, which I agree (and pretty much everyone else agrees) they could try harder with. This is about Elizabeth Simins' ridiculous blanket statement that a publication cannot be taken seriously without a woman on their roster.

Sorry, this is a "don't attack the job creators" argument. I have plenty of appreciation for what Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny has done. But, that also doesn't mean I can point out their entire circle that shows up on streams, podcasts, and such tends to be other white dudes. That doesn't mean they're bad people. However, it also means that if they want to expand beyond that, they'll have to bring in people they haven't been to 15 E3's with.

Again, this isn't about the guests, it's about the staff. My arguement wasn't at all "Don't attack the job creators", which is farcical, it's about not appreciating what Giant Bomb has done with so little. She refers to GB as 'super influential', which is nice, yet she doesn't show any regard nor acknowledge how on earth such a tiny outlet became influential. It's easy to sit back and shout "They have no women!", but it's a bit harder to consider how an outlet has continued to grow in popularity, relevance and industry recognition, all while transitioning itself into a more socially aware and progressive voice without alienating their existing viewers or putting the survival of their business in jeopardy. Oh, and doing all this while their staff roster and budget shrank.

So here's my constructive criticism on the night shows Patrick...

I think there were just too many people in too short a time to have any meaningful conversations. It works with the regular guests that know each other like the ex-Midway guys and the Harmonix guys. But for other people who have never been on the show it doesn't work-- like Alexa from Polygon, I believe she talked for a grand total of 15 seconds in the segment she was in. There was another segment where it felt like everyone just introduced themselves and then it ended.

I think next year you should try to avoid having more than one segment per night which has so many people on it. I'd like to see more Cliffy B/Jonathan Blow style segments next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom