• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb @ E3 2014 | Ice Cream Truck vs. The Electronic Three

Status
Not open for further replies.
just catching up on some of their E3 stuff now and the day three segment that devolved into jeff learning lord of the rings lore is fantastic. the two guests from joystiq and polygon fit in really well.

The site always gave me the vibe of "hey, I made a website with my friends." Diversity is nice and all, but considering how vicious people can be in this thread about people who breaks their dynamics, I wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize liking a person and seeing how much they meld with the group over being a minority.

Yeah. I feel like the conversation happening in this thread better fits the industry as a whole than GB.

that seems like kind of a weak defense. giant bomb's not some tiny site located in jeff's garage. it doesn't get to be immune from the kind of criticism that other sites get.

LeBart

Race and gender already dictate our actions. Recognizing this reality and attempting to combat it is not "positive discrimination." Attempting to nullify white privilege doesn't result in white genocide.

Not everyone's. It certainly doesn't dictate my actions. I mean beyond the fact that if I meet a girl I like and I want to have a relationship with her or whatever, my future actions are gonna be based on that fact so maybe in that case gender had an influence on my behavior. But then the same thing happens with same-sex relationships, so I'm not sure gender is even the real catalyst here.

Do you not see color like Stephen Colbert's character?

Is it a joke? I know nothing about Stephen Colbert so I have no idea what you're referring to. :p

The same person who thinks the Queen and a T-rex are also white dudes.

Also, that space shuttle... A lot of white dudes worked on that. Just sayin'.

This recent controversy coupled with the under-representation of minorities issue is bizarrely off-putting to me because I identify as a staunch feminist and lean very liberal on most social issues. I think one of the biggest problems I have with calling out a particular game or panel is that it's always going to seem unfair to do so. The same could be said regarding hiring. The problem isn't with a particular panel, a particular hire, or a particular AAA game - all of these problems are grand in scale, and there is some disconnect when people see one example being talked about in very hostile terms. With the GB panels, though, I don't know if they are a good or bad starting point for the conversation regarding exclusion. On one hand, the guys, with Patrick being the most vocal, have demonstrated concern for the social issues that the video game industry has been confronting more recently, so you have to expect that someone like Patrick would listen to any criticism in that vein. On the other hand, the fact that the site has shifted toward being more inclusive by highlighting writers and developers with unique backgrounds and viewpoints makes the singling out seem that much more unfair to me. It's a site that, relative to its size, seems to be doing a lot of good regarding the social issues that I care about in gaming.

So, there is a logical disconnect between the intended purpose and the target in many of these cases, and it's tough for me to get on board with calling out a particular game, panel, or hire. However, I still feel the causes are important enough to warrant the conversations, I guess. I think that as long as you don't react dismissively of the movements behind the criticisms (i.e. feminism), then the criticisms are a net positive even if you disagree with them.

All that said, the Simins stuff is really disappointing to read. She spoke in absolutes that are not in any way progressive, and I would like to think that's not the kind of communication needed to further any cause, particularly one I feel strongly on her side of. I don't find what she said cogent or positive. But, that type of rhetoric does seem to get everyone's attention, so maybe it's a necessary evil.

I know I put a lot of qualifying statements out here, which isn't great message board fodder. I just hope people can see these as complex issues, and you shouldn't feel alienated from the good causes at the heart of the complaints even if you aren't on board with your favorite video game site being singled out.

Balb

I don't necessarily have a problem if their next hire is a White male, because they have a very small outwardly facing staff. With that being said, the E3 panels were extremely jarring. I would estimate there being about 40-50 people total spread across the panels and I only saw maybe 2-3 non-White people and 2-3 women. I think they need to do a better job diversifying the panels next year.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't necessarily have a problem if their next hire is a White male, because they have a very small outwardly facing staff. With that being said, the E3 panels were extremely jarring. I would estimate there being about 40-50 people total spread across the panels and I only saw maybe 2-3 non-White people and 2-3 women. I think they need to do a better job diversifying the panels next year.
I think the problem is the language barrier pretty much kills the concept of having any Japanese guests on, and then as we all know, the gaming press/game dev is pretty homogenous in terms of race and gender.

I rather them pick the panel on whos gonna be the most insightful/entertaining guests. More then a few of the panels this year were a snore fest.

Mikey was the only real annoying guest to me. Dude just isn't funny and has some weird self-awareness about it that sorts of dips in and out from time to time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Giant Bomb #8 | Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

Haunted

Giant Bomb OT 8 | Welcome, Jared Rosen

And what the hell at Patrick just bending over to her like that publicly when she's being extremely insulting, hostile and disrespectful ? Christ dude, have some respect for yourself and your coworkers; tell her to fuck off.
That seems like a great way to escalate the situation, elicit more criticism and attacks.

I think Patrick handled the situation fantastically well and professionally and managed to calm the attackers while showing that he's truly concerned with the issue and promises to articulate his thoughts on this in the big blog post (probably the only guy on the GB crew who would acknowledge this head-on like he did).

Though you might be tempted to brush off criticism like that with a "fuck off", that's almost always the best way to just make things worse.

DaBuddaDa

I would love to see more diversity on these panels, and I think we had more diversity than ever this year, however, it was off-set by the sheer quantity of guests.

Getting people like Cara Ellison and Alexa Ray Corriea on is a good start.

I think next year they should get Leigh Alexander back. I'm 100% serious.

njean777

I would love to see more diversity on these panels, and I think we had more diversity than ever this year, however, it was off-set by the sheer quantity of guests.

As long as they hide the alcohol from her.

I agree. This year there was a nice bit of diversity but it was overshadowed because there were also so many more guests on than usual.

Cara got some time to talk but most of the other women on panels, like Alexa, barely spoke. Have to imagine that'd be different if they weren't on a 7 person panel.

While it's nice to have new people like that on the show, it's kind of redundant when they don't get the chance to speak. Not everyone is gonna butt in/speak up like a Paul Barnett or Mikey Newman, thank fuck. And in those cases having them on a smaller panel would be really beneficial.

It's not even just the fact they're women (and I'm not just referring to the women who were on), they're new people I've not had much exposure to. I like the GB shows cause it's one of the few times of year on GB content that you'll hear new & interesting perspectives alongside the usual GB comments and often they're more challenged on things than they are otherwise by each other.

I'd echo that this was a great year for the shows, with the main downside being panels which were too big, meaning there was too much speaking over each other & too many people overshadowed by the bigger personalities.

Also the Aisha Tyler wish isn't beyond the realm of possibility, Greg Miller managed to get her on his show so it seems like she'd be up for something like GB.

I'll just echo what others have said by saying that they should bring on people they think will be interesting talkers, or hire people they think will be entertaining and informative members of staff. Believe it not, gender/race/sexual doesn't really matter at the feet of these decisions; forcing the point via some indignant idealism is just odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom