• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb @ E3 2014 | Ice Cream Truck vs. The Electronic Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
I agree with Elizabeth Simins's initial point, but calling out for people to sabotage a competing website (she's a writer / comic author for Kotaku) seems in bad taste.

Volotaire

Is there a podcast or E3 video of the guys talking Bloodborne?

Day 3 Coverage Video http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/e3-2014-coverage-uncovered/2300-9132/ and somewhere in the AfterShow Day 2 video I think, but the latter is very long.

They do anything for No Man's Sky?

Day 3 wrap-up had Patrick mention a No Man's Sky the following day.

Yes, they haven't uploaded an interview/podcast about it yet. The Day 1 aftershow has them on if you want to check the out for some details..

I think that hiring a lady just for the face she's a lady is the worst thing somebody could do. The point is to hire the best person possible for the job. If that person happen to be a lady then great but skipping the most qualified person simple because he's a man or he's white is just as racist.

Again, how do you determine who's the most qualified person to talk about video games and occasionally write about them? I hate to break this to you, but yes, at a certain point, there's a level of qualification where yes, it's better to hire a woman or a person of color (or gasp, even both!) instead of another white guy. I say this as a white guy.

Scizzy

I think that hiring a lady just for the face she's a lady is the worst thing somebody could do. The point is to hire the best person possible for the job. If that person happen to be a lady then great but skipping the most qualified person simple because he's a man or he's white is just as racist.

I have no interest in having this conversation in this topic, but making a conscious effort to diversify your staff is not "racist" against whites. And if this wasn't clear, I'm certainly not calling Jeff or the site racist or sexist.

ST2K

The GB panel guest focus should always be great conversation. It's a highlight of E3 for many for a reason. It's entertaining as hell. This E3 we had some great moments with Greg Miller, Geoff Keighley, the indie panel with Luftrausers guy/Jonathan Blow/Zoe, Ed Boon, and the panel with Shuhei, John Drake, Johnny V, Lang, and Boyes. If any of those panels lost any form of charisma or chemistry because there was pressure to have people of a certain background on rather than them, then we wouldn't have these memories. And that would suck.

I'm not against having people with different backgrounds on. I'd just request that Patrick or Brad not feel any obligation to have whatever amount of non-white guys on the show. They should focus on who has something interesting or fun to say and see where that leads them. I assume that thinking led them to this year's guest list and the show was fantastic.

Now if we're saying Patrick and/or Brad excluded people because of their background, that's a different discussion. And I don't think any reasonable person would be making that accusation. However, if we're discussing any sort of quota (formal or informal) or pressure to have people on simply for the sake of diversity, I think it's a bad idea that would likely harm the show.

And just to add something, I don't think just adding more guests is an option at this point, since it already felt a bit overcrowded this year. The guys should just take their time and pick whoever is able to make it that can make for the best show they can manage. That's all I ask.

Myggen

Again, how do you determine who's the most qualified person to talk about video games and occasionally write about them? I hate to break this to you, but yes, at a certain point, there's a level of qualification where yes, it's better to hire a woman or a person of color (or gasp, even both!) instead of another white guy. I say this as a white guy.

Of course that should be part of it, but it shouldn't be the only factor. Just being good on camera is somehing that probably excludes a large proportion of those who would consider going for the editorial position. Also, with Vinny in NY you now need someone who's naturally funny like he is. That right there narrows it down a lot, and yes, shows that there's some pretty particular demands if you want a job like this. The producer position on the other hand should be more open.

Of course that should be part of it, but it shouldn't be the only factor. Just being good on camera is somehing that probably excludes a large proportion of those who would consider going for the editorial position.

Sure, but do you think there's a higher percentage of people who are good on camera who are white males as opposed to white females, black males, or Asian females? Yes, hire somebody who is qualified, but we're not talking about brain surgery here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, if Dan is indeed coming to GB as part of the editorial stuff, I would certainly say that he is more than qualified for the post, seeing that his personality and the style of content he produces fits the site incredibly well. He would just be another straight, white dude though. Should he be overlooked in order to have equal representation on the site?

Interesting to see Patrick plans on writing a post regarding the sexist/diversity concerns people have brought up, I am very curious to see what he has to say. I think I know the general tone it will have, given Patrick's feelings on many popular social issues, but will it be an apology or a defense?

Myggen

Sure, but do you think there's a higher percentage of people who are good on camera who are white males as opposed to white females, black males, or Asian females? Yes, hire somebody who is qualified, but we're not talking about brain surgery here.

No, but we're talking about a position I think it's safe to assume was applied to by a huge majority of white dudes. The position has some pretty particular demands, so it's a big chance that the hire is a white dude without that implying anything about their view on gender and race. That's all I'm saying.

daydream

Banned
GB has a very distinct profile as a site so I do feel that it's at least somewhat easier in this case to tell if someone's more qualified for the job.

That said, this discussion (with regard to GB) is futile since a) we don't know who the new hire is and b) we don't know who applied. Saying that Jeff should desperately look for a female hire is fine and dandy - I'd have loved to see Cara as the new member, myself - but we've got no idea who even came into consideration.

That does not legitimize the accusations levied against Giant Bomb. It can explain why white males make up so much of the industry, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Giant Bomb is not like other websites. It is heavily dependant on personality and coworker synergy. Jeff can't hire anyone who simply has a great résumé. If that were the case, as it is at GameSpot and IGN, then yes, he could be blamed for hiring white males all the time. But that's not possible for him. He needs to take into consideration how that person would "fit in" with the gang and how he or she would add to conversations and discussions. It's a very tricky thing.

For years, I've been saying that should Giant Bomb hire a new person, Dan Ryckert would be the guy. And it's all but confirmed that he is the new guy. What does that say about potential candidates for Giant Bomb ? That the only person I've thought, for years, could have the job got it ?

If there ever was someone who would fit in with the gang and happened to not be a white male, then great ! That person should have a bonus point over other white male candidates. But, while I don't have the list of people whom Jeff has been considering for the past two years, it would be my guess that they are mostly white males. And that's not his fault, and shouldn't be called a sexist or racist because of that.

If the new hires are white guys, I imagine the GB crew (Patrick in particular) feel pretty awkward right about now.

They shouldn't. Unless they willingly passed on a good candidate who was not that, but that would surprise me.

edit: didn't Carrie Gouskos lose her job recently ? Wasn't she at Mythic ? She would be a great addition to the crew, considering she has already worked with them.

Zaph

But if I ran a site which had eight full-time employees who were all male, I would look to rectify that immediately. And I know that the circumstances under which the site was formed dictated who the first set of hires would be, and that a lopsided majority of the people in the industry are male, and the huge majority of people who just applied were probably male, and so on. I'm just saying that would be a priority for me and I don't blame outsiders who might tabulate the backgrounds of various panels and make judgments that seem unfair to people like us who follow the site religiously.

I totally agree, but the problem is Giant Bomb is far more than just written editorial and light video content like the vast majority of publications out there. They're basically entertainers. Even before all this new hire stuff, Jeff has frequently said for years just how difficult it is to find people in this industry who are good on camera - GameSpot basically spent a year moving someone to the US just for this purpose.

Nobody can replace Ryan, but with this new hire they desperately need someone who can pick up on hosting duties - Jeff can't do everything himself, but Vinny's gone and Brad is terrible at it.

Here's the thing, with all the suggestions people came up with over the last month, there was not a single realistic female name that could fill this role. Look on Youtube or other gaming sites, are there any women out there who are currently informative and funny hosts like Jeff, Ryan or Patrick? The only one I can think of is Veronica Belmont and there's no way GB could afford her. Cara is great, and I'd love for GB to hire her one day, but she's not good on camera and would need a lot of experience before she could host anything.

You cannot blame Giant Bomb, a site with only four editorial staff, for hiring the person they need right now instead of a person they could eventually train. There are very, very few people who can fill the role GB needs.

LeBart

Fighting racism is not about how we act, it's about how we think. If we're consciously diversifying this and positively discriminating that, even if we think of it as positive and inclusive, even if we think we're doing the right thing, what we're really doing is give credit to the idea that race and gender should dictate our actions, which to me sounds like the exact opposite of what we want.
If we could all ignore race and gender, not to the point of refusing to recognize and embrace our differences, but just enough so that it will not influence our decisions on a daily basis, I think we would live in a better world.

I realize it's a pretty big "if", and we can't just wait until everybody decides to stop being racist, so I'm not saying we just sit there and do nothing either. Ultimately I don't have the answers to these questions, and I don't think anobody does, really. It is a very complex problem but what I am absolutely convinced of though, is that these professional umbrage takers on twitter are part of the problem and not the solution.

Odrion

Banned
Giant Bomb is in a really poor situation. Giant Bomb LA is skeleton crew now, and finally after two years (and losing an editor) their corporate overlords are allowing them to hire... One more editor? They need to find the funniest, most charming, most compatible person out there. They need to replace Vinny.

If that person is a girl, then super great! If they're not white, then super great! If it's another white dude, then that's kinda disappointing to me but if they're a great addition and a great replacement for the roles Vinny and Ryan played then Giant Bomb doesn't deserve to burn at the stake for it.

I agree that a problem with GB can be being the "white guy show". But I also feel is a tricky situation to manage given that the charm of the site is the chemistry with the staff. Of course, that doesn't mean that automaticaly excludes a gender or race,

I suppose I should say that I would like that GB get out more often of their comfort zone (in regards of variety, staff and opinions) as their are already pretty good in taking chances.

Dragon

Banned
I have no interest in having this conversation in this topic, but making a conscious effort to diversify your staff is not "racist" against whites. And if this wasn't clear, I'm certainly not calling Jeff or the site racist or sexist.

Theres where it breaks down though: the person advocating for change and have giant bomb have more diversity seems to be more inclined to be upset over the exclusion of women. And making snide sarcastic comments is not a mature way to introduce a topic like that.

People should get positions based on merit rather than their chromosomes or color of their skin. What is the point of hiring any but their first choice? GB is primarily popular because of their personalities and how they get along with each other. Adding someone in can be chaotic for them as it is and they've taken an appropriate amount of time after Ryan's death to figure out how it's going to work. I think it's really silly to encourage them to hire anyone but their first choice. By hiring someone diverse strictly because they're diverse they're actually poster childs for discouraging diversity because they're treating them differently than other people.

njean777

Fighting racism is not about how we act, it's about how we think. If we're consciously diversifying this and positively discriminating that, even if we think of it as positive and inclusive, even if we think we're doing the right thing, what we're really doing is give credit to the idea that race and gender should dictate our actions, which to me sounds like the exact opposite of what we want.
If we could all ignore race and gender, not to the point of refusing to recognize and embrace our differences, but just enough so that it will not influence our decisions on a daily basis, I think we would live in a better world.

I realize it's a pretty big "if", and we can't just wait until everybody decides to stop being racist, so I'm not saying we just sit there and do nothing either. Ultimately I don't have the answers to these questions, and I don't think anobody does, really. It is a very complex problem but what I am absolutely convinced of though, is that these professional umbrage takers on twitter are part of the problem and not the solution.

I really like this post, it is my exact feelings.

Megasoum

Banned
The analogy is a bit weird but bear with me for a second. The whole situation is reminding me of something that has been happening in Québec for years.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a huge fan of the Montréal Canadiens hockey team.

Now, since Québec is the only part of North America where the majority of the population speaks french, there's been some recurring tension over the years between the french Canadians and the rest of Canada (and even the US too to some extent). One way that tension has manifested itself is that every single year, when the NHL does its draft day to recruit the new players there is a group of people here in Québec who screams for the Habs to draft french canadian player no matter how good they really are.. Simply based on the fact that "it's our team so we should have french speaking players representing us".

I'm french canadian myself, hell my parent are even semi-hardcore separatists and yet this whole thing is PISSING ME OFF. Our goal should be to get the best player that will eventually help us win the Stanley Cup... The fact that the dudes speaks french, english or russian in the dressing room is the least of my concerns.

Funny enough, we got a perfect example of that earlier today. Back in 2009 the NHL draft was actually done in Montréal (it change city every year) and the Habs staff had enormous pression from a segment of the population to draft a kid named Louis Leblanc (you guessed it, he's french canadian)... Now I don't have anything against the kid but there was clearly more skilled players still available to draft once our turn came. The end result? The kid never broke through to the NHL and we traded him this morning against a conditional 5th pick (aka they could have offered us a pack of new hockey sticks and we would still have accepted the trade)...

Anyway, /rant off...sorry about that but I had to say it.

Well, if Dan is indeed coming to GB as part of the editorial stuff, I would certainly say that he is more than qualified for the post, seeing that his personality and the style of content he produces fits the site incredibly well. He would just be another straight, white dude though. Should he be overlooked in order to have equal representation on the site?

He would only be overlooked if he were more skilled than every woman available for this position. As this is clearly not the case, he would not be overlooked.

komplanen

He would only be overlooked if he were more skilled than every woman available for this position. As this is clearly not the case, he would not be overlooked.

Not only is what "skilled" means in terms of being suitable for GB up for debate (highly subjective in terms of entertainment value -vs- professional value) but I'm not sure there has ever been an official lost of people who applied for the job.

Scizzy

I'm of two minds here. I think Dan, assuming he's the hire, will do a great job and I 100% understand why Jeff would hire him. But if the next hire and the next hire and the next hire all go to close friends of the site who have a strong rapport with the group, it's pretty clear from these various streams that we're eventually going to have a site with 15 white guys (or maybe 14 and Cara Ellison). If they want to be more diverse, eventually they're going to have to take a chance on someone.

And again, directed at no one in particular, no one is calling anyone racist or sexist. Some of us just wish the site made diversity a higher priority.

It goes without saying, but it sucks having just about zero vinny in the E3 coverage. It would have neen nice to at least see him in the behind the scenes video. That was a good video, brad came alive a bit and patrick was informative and entertaining.

Race and gender already dictate our actions. Recognizing this reality and attempting to combat it is not "positive discrimination." Attempting to nullify white privilege doesn't result in white genocide.

sant

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't give a shit what race, age or sex someone is on the bombcast. The person just needs to add meaningfully to the conversation.

erawsd

Its up to Jeff to decide who meets the qualifications for the job. We don't even know who applied for the job, we arent the ones sitting in on the interviews, or mulling through their resumes. I'm certain he's going to choose the person that will bring the most to the cast. It might be a woman, it might be a person of color, or it might be a another white guy.

Do you not see color like Stephen Colbert's character?

I agree with the fewer guests per panel thing, even if it means breaking the evening into more chunks. It seems a bit awkward to have a 6-person panel and it effectively just being a conversation between 3 people, especially since Jeff already sort of has to direct the discussion so each person gets their "piece", so to speak.

As for having more gender diversity and whatnot, I think setting up one or two discussions with a majority of female guests might be better than just taking some sort of ratio of representation approach. When a girl or two is sitting on a panel with a number of male guests, with many of them being very large personalities, they aren't going to get much of a chance to really get a word in and every interaction will be in the context of "as a girl in a large group of guys". People incorrectly attribute a lot of that sort of awkwardness to something that girls (or atleast gamer girls) do, but it's really just a consequence of how these sorts of situations are usually set up

Zaph

I'm of two minds here. I think Dan, assuming he's the hire, will do a great job and I 100% understand why Jeff would hire him. But if the next hire and the next hire and the next hire all go to close friends of the site who have a strong rapport with the group, it's pretty clear from these various streams that we're eventually going to have a site with 15 white guys (or maybe 14 and Cara Ellison). If they want to be more diverse, eventually they're going to have to take a chance on someone.

And again, directed at no one in particular, no one is calling anyone racist or sexist. Some of us just wish the site made diversity a higher priority.

Giant Bomb has been in existence for 6 years. In that time Jeff has been able to make 1 hire. How do you know how high priority it is for him?

This whole staff diversity conversation feels rediculious. Someone has taken aim at Giant Bomb because it's an industry darling that gets talked about a lot, and instead of putting their 4 editorial staff into perspective compared to the dozens similar sites employ, she's angry that Jeff hasn't been able to magic up a position for a woman.

Seriously fuck that. It gives zero appreciation for what Jeff and others have had to do over the years just to keep the site in existence. It stinks of someone who has never built anything in their life, nor had someone else's livelyhood in their hands, sitting back and judging others for not doing what they want.

Scizzy

Giant Bomb has been in existence for 6 years. In that time Jeff has been able to make 1 hire. How do you know how high priority it is for him?

I'm pretty sure more people work at Giant Bomb than Jeff and this "one" other hire. Even if you don't want to count Ryan, Brad, Vinny, and Alex as hires (and I don't see why you wouldn't count them), that still leaves way more than one hire.

Well, we can also look at the people that show up on their streams and look, it's mostly white guys. Which isn't surprising. But still, it proves that when it comes to people appearing on GB streams, if Patrick didn't exist, it's highly likely would've been Leigh Alexander, Carrie Gouskas, and that's about it in the past few years.

Seriously fuck that. It gives zero appreciation for what Jeff and others have had to do over the years just to keep the site in existence. It stinks of someone who has never built anything in their life, nor had someone else's livelyhood in their hands, sitting back and judging others for not doing what they want.

Sorry, this is a "don't attack the job creators" argument. I have plenty of appreciation for what Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny has done. But, that also doesn't mean I can point out their entire circle that shows up on streams, podcasts, and such tends to be other white dudes. That doesn't mean they're bad people. However, it also means that if they want to expand beyond that, they'll have to bring in people they haven't been to 15 E3's with.

BeerSnob

Well, we can also look at the people that show up on their streams and look, it's mostly white guys. Which isn't surprising. But still, it proves that when it comes to people appearing on GB streams, if Patrick didn't exist, it's highly likely would've been Leigh Alexander, Carrie Gouskas, and that's about it in the past few years.

Sorry, this is a "don't attack the job creators" argument. I have plenty of appreciation for what Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny has done. But, that also doesn't mean I can point out their entire circle that shows up on streams, podcasts, and such tends to be other white dudes. That doesn't mean they're bad people. However, it also means that if they want to expand beyond that, they'll have to bring in people they haven't been to 15 E3's with.

Patrick was asking for recommendations in this thread. So make them, this is the time and forum* to actually get something you want.

*pun not intended.

hamchan

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't give a shit what race, age or sex someone is on the bombcast. The person just needs to add meaningfully to the conversation.

Exactly this. I only care that the people they invite or hire are of good merit. This should be the only criteria for selection.

daydream

Banned
Aggressive backseat spewing du jour toward a random website is awful, for sure.

I think the people in this thread are pretty much in agreement, even though they might not realise it. We can all concur in our appreciation for more diversity on gaming sites, including GB, while acknowledging that blatant labelling and accusation are altogether unwarranted in this case, especially due to the fact that we don't know about who exactly applied for the job, but not exclusively, as outside of them manning their staff (get it?), the GB crew has been nothing but inclusive - or at least trying their best.

Even in this point we can agree that more variety in the selection of guests would be conducive to the richness of the discussion, and since this was Patrick's first year handling invites, I'm sure he'll take our concerns to heart for next E3, or whenever the next time will be that he is tasked with assembling a panel.

Speaking of diversity, hopefully Patrick made some contacts at E3 and can start getting some fresh guests for Bombin the AM. I don't just mean women either (although he needs to do a better job at that obviously) but to expand outside his small circle of friends. I'm not surprised to see a majority of the guests bombin' has had so far pop up on the E3 podcasts. Someone needs to expand their rolodex

Of course that's assuming he even wants guest to be a major part of the show anymore. With Vinny in town who knows what will happen

chogidogs

The site always gave me the vibe of "hey, I made a website with my friends." Diversity is nice and all, but considering how vicious people can be in this thread about people who breaks their dynamics, I wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize liking a person and seeing how much they meld with the group over being a minority.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh, go down the rabbit hole and read the whole twitter conversations with her fellow travelers.

@ElizSimins @Bboy_Izilla But yeah. We started side-eying over the net once the privilege started showing in the podcasts. Ugggggggh.

@Bboy_Izilla @ElizSimins @ActWon1 wait........................... all the fucking cardboard cutouts are white dudes too

@ActWon1 @ElizSimins @Bboy_Izilla Last night there were a few women, but even then the whiteness and the super dudes-all-uponness glared.

In what persons little warped mind is a Samoan a 'white guy'?

The analogy is a bit weird but bear with me for a second. The whole situation is reminding me of something that has been happening in Québec for years.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a huge fan of the Montréal Canadiens hockey team.

Now, since Québec is the only part of North America where the majority of the population speaks french, there's been some recurring tension over the years between the french Canadians and the rest of Canada (and even the US too to some extent). One way that tension has manifested itself is that every single year, when the NHL does its draft day to recruit the new players there is a group of people here in Québec who screams for the Habs to draft french canadian player no matter how good they really are.. Simply based on the fact that "it's our team so we should have french speaking players representing us".

I'm french canadian myself, hell my parent are even semi-hardcore separatists and yet this whole thing is PISSING ME OFF. Our goal should be to get the best player that will eventually help us win the Stanley Cup... The fact that the dudes speaks french, english or russian in the dressing room is the least of my concerns.

Funny enough, we got a perfect example of that earlier today. Back in 2009 the NHL draft was actually done in Montréal (it change city every year) and the Habs staff had enormous pression from a segment of the population to draft a kid named Louis Leblanc (you guessed it, he's french canadian)... Now I don't have anything against the kid but there was clearly more skilled players still available to draft once our turn came. The end result? The kid never broke through to the NHL and we traded him this morning against a conditional 5th pick (aka they could have offered us a pack of new hockey sticks and we would still have accepted the trade)...

Anyway, /rant off...sorry about that but I had to say it.

As you can tell from my avatar I hate your guts and worship Phil. But I completely agree. Diversity for diversity's sake would be a bad idea. I feel like GB does a great job of reaching out to those in the gaming community who are doing cool things, whether that's things that interest them or their community. And hopefully we will continue to see more females and non-white developers on panels and as guests. But I feel like we can't really ask for anything more than that. In terms of hires GB are the one's who have to live with that decision, race or gender shouldn't be tipping the scales in the matter, it should be whoever is best for the job and I don't think they could have picked anyone better than Dan. Assuming he's the new hire.

In what persons little warped mind is a Samoan a 'white guy'?

Reigns-spears-Ambrose.gif

The same person who thinks the Queen and a T-rex are also white dudes.

Mully

The site always gave me the vibe of "hey, I made a website with my friends." Diversity is nice and all, but considering how vicious people can be in this thread about people who breaks their dynamics, I wouldn't be surprised if they prioritize liking a person and seeing how much they meld with the group over being a minority.

Yeah. I feel like the conversation happening in this thread better fits the industry as a whole than GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom