• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Speaking of next long game, I picked tales of berseria to playthrough next.

But man.

Coming from persona 5 and Nier:A.

Can't do it man. Just can't.

I think I'll just hook up my PS3 and play OG nier.

I think Berseria has probably the best combat system this year, so it's got that going for it.

Mr. F

Banned
I need a good long game palate cleanser. I'm replaying Persona 5, but I'm going to need something short after all this just before hitting Nier: A. These long games are killing me.

I need to work today...but fuck me at that screenshot. Yakuza 0 is great. BitE is great.

I was considering getting snake pass for this reason, if it happens to be on sale by the time I'm through with P5 I may pick it up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is it?

It feels like mashing, the game so far.

And I feel the way about its combat animations the same way jeff feels about souls weapon priority. Just doesn't feel good.

demidar

It takes a bit, early on you don't have enough Artes and you're not playing with a full party. All the great mechanics are locked away until a bit further in the story, and ad-hoc party member switching means you can chain together attacks from your entire party.

Trust me, I've put 120 hours into that game. But the combat doesn't shine until you set the difficulty to Intense or higher.

Jintor

okay sorry BITE i just can't concentrate for longer than a single episode, especially when they're just fucking around upgrading skills.

i'll be back for you, kiryu

I can't deal with the character design in Beseria.

O69ndZH.png

Like what the fuck is going on here.

Antiwhippy

That's actually tame by tales of standards.

It takes a bit, early on you don't have enough Artes and you're not playing with a full party. All the great mechanics are locked away until a bit further in the story, and ad-hoc party member switching means you can chain together attacks from your entire party.

Trust me, I've put 120 hours into that game. But the combat doesn't shine until you set the difficulty to Intense or higher.

Alright, I probably won't stick with it for now, but I'll revisit in the latter downtimes. Though I'm not really into JRPG combat for the challenge anymore, though I know tales of is its own weird JRPG action style.

Also in the beginning of the village I swore to god velvet was having long conversations with someone who shared the exact same voice actress.

Mupod

Is it?

It feels like mashing, the game so far.

And I feel the way about its combat animations the same way jeff feels about souls weapon priority. Just doesn't feel good.

Reminds me...I always thought it was weird that Jeff was so vehemently opposed to Monster Hunter and Souls style style animation lock/weapon movesets because he likes fighting games. Learning your weapon moveset in MH/Souls is the same as learning your normals in SF.

Dan (in regards to yakuza for example) I may not agree with, but I understand where he is coming from perfectly. He just wants to hit buttons and have an exact, instant correlation between his actions and what is happening on the screen. On that subject I think it's kinda awesome how Bayonetta 2 can be just as fun for a player like that and for someone who wants to do exacting combos, dodge offsets etc.

Kimaka

The cabaret club was not nearly as creepy as I expected and actually turned out to be a perfect mixture of game mechanics that I love. It has management, dress up, social sim elements, fighting, and a decent story. All it needs is player character customization and more dialogue and decoration options to be my dream game.

I can't deal with the character design in Beseria.

O69ndZH.png

Like what the fuck is going on here.

Her outfit so bad. The female designs in previous Tales games were usually pretty good despite the typical anime overdesign. What happened?

Antiwhippy

Say what you want about Nier or Persona but Tales will ALWAYS be the flag-bearer for anime games.

Like is it? I can't actually tell what kind of anime Tales of games are supposed to be. Maybe those weird 90s fantasy adventure stuff like slayers but not really? Tales of is like its own kind of psychedelic fantasy nightmare.

I can at least point to anime and manga that shares similar styles and themes with Nier:A and Persona.

LiK

The older Tales games had good iconic character/costume designs. None of the new ones are that appealing. I think the designer is struggling to come up with designs these days.

Jintor

judging only from that screenshot they're meant to be the disposable anime you forget about every season because it's so weirdly generic it blends into a mishmash of nothing standing out and boob jokes

demidar

Tales is anime fast food. It's fine in a pinch and you know what to expect. But sometimes you just want to go ham on some junk food.

Even though I'm already done with Yakuza 0, I had to pop it in again and replay the Cabaret stuff as soon as this episode finished. Man, when they went through the minigame for the second time and they started to get it coupled with that amazing soundtrack....it was fucking hype.

jhgyoqxl.gif

fjmimpbc.gif

All hail Riddick Yuki.

Like is it? I can't actually tell what kind of anime Tales of games are supposed to be. Maybe those weird 90s fantasy adventure stuff like slayers but not really? Tales of is like its own kind of psychedelic fantasy nightmare.

I can at least point to anime and manga that shares similar styles and themes with Nier:A and Persona.

I love Nier:A and I'm holding out on "not liking anime" like when Dan R refused to believe MGS was full of anime on the bombcast that time.

Antiwhippy

I love Nier:A and I'm holding out on "not liking anime" like when Dan R refused to believe MGS was full of anime on the bombcast that time.

Well if not anime how about manga? :p

It actually reminds me a lot like a much sadder and harsher version of yokohama kaidashi kikou, which is basically about humanity's final days as we head towards a gentle extinction while some ridiculously human androids discover humanity's legacy by exploring its decaying remnants.

Hindl

So the whole torn to shreds leggings thing. How the fuck do you put that on? If you're not extremely careful you'll just rip the leggings in half putting your foot through the wrong hole.

Putting all of this weird armor shit throughout a lot of Japanese games is obviously crazy anyway, but the torn leggings thing is just baffling

daveo42

Banned
So the whole torn to shreds leggings thing. How the fuck do you put that on? If you're not extremely careful you'll just rip the leggings in half putting your foot through the wrong hole.

Putting all of this weird armor shit throughout a lot of Japanese games is obviously crazy anyway, but the torn leggings thing is just baffling

First rule of crazy JRPG character design: Characters in games never have to change their wardrobe ever, so feel free to make the most insane and difficult to dress in/wear outfits imaginable.

demidar

Yeah but look at this flyguy from Tales of Xillia 2.

The reason why the later Tales games character designs are so wishy washy is that they're using 3 (THREE!) character designers and spreading their designs amongst the party members. Makes them look discordant. Fujishima, Inomata and Okumura I think their names are. Might even be a fourth background character designer. He's the designer of the guy above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom