• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

the good ol days

Pb2sG9r.jpg

We're already on 100 years of the beastcast.

oops silly mistake meant decade lol

Yea we are! Lol sorry, couldn't resist :D

That battleground stream was so good! Lots of great moments. I found it hilarious when
Brad was ready to kill Jeff when he thought Jeff had killed Vinny again

mcrommert

Banned
Looking for some help...listening to all the old bombcasts...have gotten to e3 2011...they mention being on the now defunct screened podcast often...is there anyplace that these podcasts still exist? having issues finding them

Mupod

Really enjoyed the Thumbs guys on Bombcast. The entire discussion about Full Throttle was really good.

Full Throttle is amazing and I hope Brad actually plays it instead of just talking about wanting to play it. I think it was one of the first adventure games I ever beat without help, and as they said it's not super long. I definitely remember complaints from when it was new about how short it is, although standards were different back then.

As for the rest of the podcast, I always like hearing dev talk but Firewatch is real far from my wheelhouse and I got a lot of deja vu with the zelda talk.

Full Throttle is amazing and I hope Brad actually plays it instead of just talking about wanting to play it. I think it was one of the first adventure games I ever beat without help, and as they said it's not super long. I definitely remember complaints from when it was new about how short it is, although standards were different back then.

As for the rest of the podcast, I always like hearing dev talk but Firewatch is real far from my wheelhouse and I got a lot of deja vu with the zelda talk.

Same for me! Full Throttle was the first "smart game" I ever beat (aka, point and click) by myself. I have no idea why my dad even bought it for me to be honest, but I LOVED that game.

I still remember the pink bunnies marching when you beat it :D

PowerTaxi

Banned
Same for me! Full Throttle was the first "smart game" I ever beat (aka, point and click) by myself. I have no idea why my dad even bought it for me to be honest, but I LOVED that game.

I still remember the pink bunnies marching when you beat it :D

Was one of the few games my Dad and I played together over the years. That and Splinter Cell.

Was one of the few games my Dad and I played together over the years. That and Splinter Cell.

My dad would humor me and play a SHITLOAD of the first You Don't Know Jack with me. I mean, an hour a night that I was over for visitation, minimum.

That was when I learned I could speed read, and that I might be smarter than my dad (or at least got stupid puns/answers) :)

My dad and I played through most of the early/mid Lucas point 'n clicks when I was a kid. They all shaped some aspect of my warped kid mind, but Full Throttle wound up being the one that probably influenced my taste in game storytelling the most. (I've been trying to pace myself while playing it on PS4 since I've played it so many times over the years that I could probably start speedrunning it, lol.) Monkey Island was my first - and the earliest game I can remember playing at all - so it's still kind of a bummer that they got awkward art style remasters instead of the more faithful updates of the Double Fine remasters.

Speaking of storytelling, man, I just realized it's been a week since I touched Persona. I got to the start of the third palace (about 30h in) and only just recently started finding any of the story/characters interesting. I want to see it through to the end, P3 and P4 are two of my favorite games (even if I cooled on them a bit after playing P3P and Golden a couple years back) and P5 was on the top of my "most anticipated" list for years, but it's hard to commit to dropping another 70 hours into something that I haven't been enjoying much after 30. Unspeakably disappointed so far.

I personally define a Tim Schafer game as a game that sounds amazing when people talk about it but that I can't get myself to enjoy playing.

Curufinwe

I like the idea of adventure games, but always end up getting stuck and using guides. The only ones I remember finishing are:

Fate of Atlantis (Amiga, then again when it came out on Steam)
Broken Sword 2 (PS1)
Broken Sword (DS)
Broken Sword 5 (Vita)

Speaking of storytelling, man, I just realized it's been a week since I touched Persona. I got to the start of the third palace (about 30h in) and only just recently started finding any of the story/characters interesting. I want to see it through to the end, P3 and P4 are two of my favorite games (even if I cooled on them a bit after playing P3P and Golden a couple years back) and P5 was on the top of my "most anticipated" list for years, but it's hard to commit to dropping another 70 hours into something that I haven't been enjoying much after 30. Unspeakably disappointed so far.

I dropped it 60 hours in, after palace 5. It does not get better, it continues on exactly as it has been. I'm not saying that to shit on the game (although I don't like it at all), just to say that if you didn't enjoy the first 30 hours, you're very unlikely to enjoy the next 30.

Hindl

Weird. I'm finally getting to the point where Persona 5 is building to where shit is gonna pop off. I'm catching up to the opening scene in the game. And pretty much everything feels like such a marked improvement over every facet of Persona 4. The story is more interesting, the characters for the most part are better, the battle system has improvements, the dungeons are better, etc. And as a side note, I like the whole Phan-site meter thing where you see anonymous comments from people talking about the Thieves and how that opinion changes throughout the game, and how it kinda mirrors how people on the internet and in real life actually react to events.

Also Ryuuji is turning into more of a little shit the more I play. Still better than Yosuke though

daveo42

Banned
Watched BitE last night. Alex's comment on GotY is totally going to be true, what with the dearth of fantastic games coming out this year. Also, seeing the Cabaret Club mini game makes me more excited to play 0.

Onto Beastcast and I'm enjoying Alex's P5 updates every week. Happy he's still going at it.

Same. Wish more people on the team were playing and talking about it tbh. I know Vinny's limited on time, but I'd love to hear his thoughts on the game.

My favorite adventure games are easily the King's Quest games. My Dad and I would play them frequently and work our way through them. Lot of great memories

Curufinwe

I hit the 50 hour mark last night in P5 and can't wait to get back into it. The way every system feeds into each other makes it really hard to put down.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I enjoyed P5 quite a bit but it just gives me something most games don't, which is a day to day management scene focused on character relationships.

Still, what I thought would be my slam dunk goty turned out to be not (some of it due to external factors...) but some parts do end up kind of disappointing. Like goddamnit Atlus, do you really need to make another gay sexual predator joke, again? It's a fairly minor part but it really sours the more time passes.

It's like you make games about social changes (both personal and external) but find it fit to put in more "traditional" shitty views on what gay men are like.

demidar

Haven't played it yet, but from what I hear other people say about how P5 handles gay stuff just really puts a damper on my interest.

It's like, c'mon Atlus you can do better than this. Or perhaps they're just not interested anymore. Hard to say.

PowerTaxi

Banned
I enjoyed P5 quite a bit but it just gives me something most games don't, which is a day to day management scene focused on character relationships.

Still, what I thought would be my slam dunk goty turned out to be not (some of it due to external factors...) but some parts do end up kind of disappointing. Like goddamnit Atlus, do you really need to make another gay sexual predator joke, again? It's a fairly minor part but it really sours the more time passes.

It's like you make games about social changes (both personal and external) but find it fit to put in more "traditional" shitty views on what gay men are like.

It's even worse because they make the same joke twice.

That's what gets me. It's a game ostensibly about oppression and the ways in which authority is abused, but it has zero interest in actually talking about this stuff systemically, or to suggest any solutions. It's just "hey this is a bad person doing bad things and you'll overcome him with the power of friendship. Also here's some really bad gay stereotypes and oh everyone in your party will sexualize Ann constantly in a creepy way even though our first arc was literally about sexual violence." It doesn't just lack the courage of its convictions, it actively undermines itself in too many ways for me to ignore. And since I already wasn't feeling any of the characters or the plot, the negatives just came to completely overshadow the experience for me to the point where I can't stand to play it anymore. Austin talked about this sort of "internal calculus" on the last waypoint radio in a way that resonated with me. I think a lot of people are able to tune the gross stuff out or don't even notice it, but it all just compounded for me to the point where the scale tipped all the way into the direction of NOPE.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like to be fair it's a pretty minor thing in comparison to yosuke's entire existence, but yeah... in a way I hope it's not just ingrained into their beliefs.

I don't think I can go "lol japanese creators" anymore too because Yoko Taro showed that they, or at least he, can make gay characters that are actually good characters.

Really enjoyed the Thumbs guys on Bombcast. The entire discussion about Full Throttle was really good.

I really enjoyed that a lot too - though was slightly deflated when early doors they got to the games section and it was like "so we've only really been playing Zelda BoTW...". Obviously it's a fantastic game but just felt like rehashing so much that GB had already covered.

They seemed really interesting guys though and the Full Throttle chat was really cool.

I really enjoyed that a lot too - though was slightly deflated when early doors they got to the games section and it was like "so we've only really been playing Zelda BoTW...". Obviously it's a fantastic game but just felt like rehashing so much that GB had already covered.

They seemed really interesting guys though and the Full Throttle chat was really cool.

As someone who's listened to a lot of Idle Thumbs, you just kinda get used to them only playing one game at a time, usually for long stretches.

I'm pretty sure they've played Far Cry 2 every day for the past decade with how much they've discussed it :)

ev0

Got around to watching the Battlegrounds stream. Loved it. Really reminded me of the older days of GB. If something like that was the Monday home stream every week it'd be fantastic. Although not possible every time realistically.

Suplexer

Brad is gorgeous.

When are they going to stream more Battlegrounds??? I really like watching that game but I have stopped following pretty much every LPer other than Super Best Friends Play (and I doubt they will do much, if anything, with it) so GB is my only hope to see more of it.

oti

Banned
Got around to watching the Battlegrounds stream. Loved it. Really reminded me of the older days of GB. If something like that was the Monday home stream every week it'd be fantastic. Although not possible every time realistically.

It's like a Destiny stream but with a game that is actually fun to watch.

Meguro

Banned
P5 undermines it's message a shit ton but so did P4. I'd also argue Yosuke is 10 times worse than anything in P5 but eh.
The only reason P3 doesn't is cause it's message isn't about outcasts of society or anything, otherwise it would undermine that too.

P5 undermines it's message a shit ton but so did P4. I'd also argue Yosuke is 10 times worse than anything in P5 but eh.
The only reason P3 doesn't is cause it's message isn't about outcasts of society or anything, otherwise it would undermine that too.
Pretty much. Western culture just got more conscious of that stuff since 2008. P4 had a character whose entire existence was "Look at this fat chick!"

Not defending it, mind you.

Where are these guys looking sometimes?? It literally said the guest wants to swap the ashtray and they couldn't figure out which of the four signals to choose D:

Meguro

Banned
Pretty much. Western culture just got more conscious of that stuff since 2008. P4 had a character whose entire existence was "Look at this fat chick!"

Not defending it, mind you.

Oh yeah, I'm not defending it one bit.
It was fucking gross and garbage and offensive back then and it is now and Atlus should know better but I really really think they actually just don't give a fuck which is a shame.

Haven't played it yet, but from what I hear other people say about how P5 handles gay stuff just really puts a damper on my interest.

It's like, c'mon Atlus you can do better than this. Or perhaps they're just not interested anymore. Hard to say.

It's like the most minor of scenes when they go to the Red Light district for the first time (Shinjuku). The aim I think was to make it seem like these kids don't belong there (which they emphasize at all times before and during). Unfortunately it was gay characters and not women? Feels weird to say it should have been women instead.

I wouldn't say you should prevent yourself from playing it because of that. I don't know what the second time is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom