• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love how jeff can talk about seeing the cirque du soleil Beatles show and rorie can just casually go "yeah seen it, didn't like it."

burnout who?
85c2cb50-73a4-44f9-969b-a44420a9e30c.jpg

This looks fantastic.
I think both Until Dawn and RE7 are mediocre to bad video games. Until Dawn is on rails until the last hour and even then none of your choices really matter outside of very binary live or die states for a few characters. The majority of the cast can't die until the finale and almost nothing you do actually matters. It does a very good job of hiding this fact for the first playthrough but once you replay it you realize how hollow it is.

RE7 abandons the tension of the Baker family after the first area and the AI is worse than Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground from almost a decade ago. Which again, doesn't actually matter because they abandon the stalking aspect in order to become a pure first person shooter which would be fine if there was more than one enemy type or any sort of satisfying pop to the action. I was so excited for RE7 and it might be the most disappointed I've been a game other than Lords of Shadow 2. The first hour or so is incredible but the amputation scene, different ways to deal with Jack in the garage, all betray the fact that it becomes an incredibly generic shooter with less variety to the enemies than the 3DS offshoot.

I was going to agree with you but then I remembered how much fun it is to speedrun the game and get the various unlockable things. Really enjoyed my time with RE7 and I'm glad they went for something closer to REmake for tone/atmosphere.
It's clear that Rorie haters are on the wrong side of history.

Crystal
Pepsi
clear.

I mean, there was never any doubt about that.

---

fijgcmju0.png

Jintor

i honestly hold that whether or not choices actually fork stories or not is besides the point, as long as in the moment the game makes you feel as though it did. But I appreciate that takes a pretty specific kind of mindset.

Catvoca

Banned
i honestly hold that whether or not choices actually fork stories or not is besides the point, as long as in the moment the game makes you feel as though it did. But I appreciate that takes a pretty specific kind of mindset.

I feel the same way. If you peek behind the curtain to see how little your choices are actually changing something it can kind of ruin certain choice based games, but it in the moment a lot of them work for me since it feels like the things I'm saying matter and that's the point IMO.

kiguel182

I don't mind the choices not being real. I usually play those games once and the illusion of choice is enough for me. What matters is what I feel in the moment and not what the game is doing in the backend of things.

I think that's the only reasonable approach to have. Whenever people complain that your choices don't matter in a particular game I feel like they just have unrealistic expectations. What matters to me is if the game gives me the choices I feel like I should have and that the dialogue reflects that properly. Fallout 4 did that last part in particular very poorly, but it also fucked up on giving the player choices that they should have had. All of the possible endings sucked ass. It makes zero sense that you can
take over the institute but not change their methods.

kinda on team Jeff on the Rick & Morty stuff

the lows of that show are really low

I enjoy the show a whole lot but I would be interested to see anyone who thought that a lot of it was laugh-out-loud hilarious. I do love how it takes its extraordinary absurdities to fiercely intense levels, and I really do get a kick out of it for that reason, but it's not like it's a joke factory or anything. I think it's because of that that it's hard to just grab a part of a random episode or two as opposed to just spending an hour to strap in.

derFeef

I started to watch Rick & Morty a few days ago actually. I think it is a very good show but you can't just rely on a single episode or a snippet of an episode IMO. I am just 8 episodes in, but the multiverse episode was haunting good stuff. Chilling. And yes, I would not describe it as a joke heavy show.

TraBuch

Banned
None of the Drakengard games are good, per se, but they're fascinating.

And the best Rick and Morty thing is that recreation of that bonkers ass hearing where the defendant is talking all that shit.

Meguro

Banned
Like, I think Drakengard 3 has some of the most interesting stuff Taro has ever done in it but yeah. I really like it but it's not something I would ever recommend unless you REALLY like what Taro does.

Drakengard 3>1>>>>>a kick in the groin>>>>2

kiguel182

I started to watch Rick & Morty a few days ago actually. I think it is a very good show but you can't just rely on a single episode or a snippet of an episode IMO. I am just 8 episodes in, but the multiverse episode was haunting good stuff. Chilling. And yes, I would not describe it as a joke heavy show.

Rick and Morty, like Arrested Development, requires some investment to get into it. It's not really a casual show to watch or just watch a couple episodes.

I mean, it's fine if you don't like it but I don't think a clip or even a single episode is a good way to judge the show.

Meguro

Banned
Hmm, I see.

Been curious to try out a game of his, Automata looks cool.

What about the first Nier game?
Really really good and worth a try at least.
You're in luck as well, as Square Enix is gonna reprint the PS3 version of it which will make it easy to get a copy.
(Sadly the original Nier was never released on PSN or XBL.)

Antiwhippy

Playing through OG nier right now, and yeah, combat is clunky, but it's OK. Let's just say that I've enjoyed worse.

strafer

Really really good and worth a try at least.
You're in luck as well, as Square Enix is gonna reprint the PS3 version of it which will make it easy to get a copy.
(Sadly the original Nier was never released on PSN or XBL.)

Is there a date on that reprint?

Playing through OG nier right now, and yeah, combat is clunky, but it's OK. Let's just say that I've enjoyed worse.

clunky how?

Antiwhippy

Kinda mashy, the hit stop (slight pause once a hit connects) doesn't feel amazing, and it feels like attack animations go on several frames too long (and not in the fun, deliberate Souls style) but it's fairly engaging otherwise. Magic system is fairly fun.

robotrock

Banned
I have seen all episodes of Rick and Morty and I had an alright time. Some episodes are wonderful, but yeah the lows (mostly season 2) do get pretty low

the fans suck. stop making these requests about the mcnugget sauce please

TraBuch

Banned
You know what was better than Rick & Morty? Home Movies. And The Life & Times of Tim. Also, Archer, despite not being as good as it once was, is better. Frisky Dingo was better. Harvey Birdman was better.

I watched maybe 5 seasons of Archer at work and it never clicked with me. "Phrasing" is the same joke as "That's what she said," which hasn't been funny for half a decade.

Antiwhippy

"So many of the DC characters are just god or whatever... that's just boring."

Not that I'm into Marvel or DC stuff really but does jeff realise how up their own ass Marvel is with literal gods and cosmic beings?

robotrock

Banned
You know what was better than Rick & Morty? Home Movies. And The Life & Times of Tim. Also, Archer, despite not being as good as it once was, is better. Frisky Dingo was better. Harvey Birdman was better.

imo pretty agreeable post
I watched maybe 5 seasons of Archer at work and it never clicked with me. "Phrasing" is the same joke as "That's what she said," which hasn't been funny for half a decade.

I fell off of Archer after the fifth season (Archer Vice?) but I dug it.

Frisky Dingo>Archer though

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You know what's better than all that?

Video Games. Old Video Games too

Not that I'm into Marvel or DC stuff really but does jeff realise how up their own ass Marvel is with literal gods and cosmic beings?

They are but their most iconic heroes are a lot more relatable than DC's most iconic heroes. But this is spoken as someone who doesn't give a fuck about DC outside of Batman (and I'm pretty done with him too tbh). So I kind of feel the same way as Jeff.

Home Movies is really good.

Yeah, Archer was never better than the first two seasons or so. The weakest shit about it is its reliance on callbacks, which obviously gets worse as the show goes on.

LiK

Jeff barely reads any comics so he has a pretty dimissive attitude about them. Lots of interesting stories have been coming out from Rebrith lately and they're great.

But aside from that, the Injustice series in particular has been amazing and I can't wait to see how it goes in the game.

Antiwhippy

Really though, I don't like superhero comics, but I do like whenever a comic superhero thread comes up in off-topic and then goes into how out-of-control marvel is at power levels.

Feels like every marvel character warped reality at one point or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom