• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Calm down gang, no one is questioning a devotion to Alex or Abby. I think there's just some of us who hoped to salvage a day initially devoted to some quality SMS.

"What happend?"
"Somebody very important to me died."
"Who?"
"The only person in the world who really knew me."
"That's not true."

200w_s.gif

god damn it I choked up just reading that. I love this show so much it's unreal

xuchu

So I just read that shaders are (now) single-use, and the primary way to get them in through microtransactions. That seems shitty.

Yes it's horrible. You can get them quite easily in game but not only are they consumed upon use, you have to apply them to each armour piece. People will defend it by saying that it allows more granular shader customisation but the single use aspect is silly and a slippery slope for aggressive mtx.

Meguro

Banned
Have people forgotten that Bungie has never written good dialogue or why are we surprised that Destiny's characters are bad.

Man it must be infuriating working with Jeff. Every topic or thread Vinny and Brad try to start is completely shut down by a super negative comment from Jeff.

I had a coworker like that, and people would eventually just leave because they knew anything they said would just get shut down immediately. No fun.

The quirky swagger thing they're going for really does feel forced. Like, I guess I'm glad that they're at least trying out a different tone than usual, but this is striking me as more "arbitrarily different" than "better."

I'm still strangely compelled by Bungie's worldbuilding/lore, but I'm losing hope that they'll ever write a good story. (I guess it's unfair to say that at this point, though. We'll see how the entirety of D2 is.)

Yeah Destiny lore was boring and incoherent but at least not screechingly shrill and obnoxious. This is the biggest overcorrection since Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within

Probably only a handful of tv episodes (or pieces of art in general) that moved me the way that episode did. The finale would be up there too.

Man that scene with Leonard, some rando, telling his fridge dream story just completely destroys me. The audacity to hang such a pivotal scene on a guest character played by a relative unknown, and it actually WORKS. Show's too good, it's unfair to other shows. Have you seen The Leftovers? I think you might like it. Halt and Catch Fire, in its final season now, is also getting eerily close to Mad Men levels of greatness.

Jeff is sounding very cynical about Destiny 2, I thought he would like it more. I mean he's not wrong, I just expected him to be into it.

Brad is already fighting against it!

oti

Banned
So I can't watch at the moment but does Jeff still dislike Destiny?
How about Bradley? What's he think?

Brad's into it.
Jeff thinks it's ok but not as great as Brad (I think).
Abby seems into it.
Ben makes bad jokes.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Destiny 2, definitely more like Splatoon 2, which is just more of the same.

I don't know what it says about me that the gun and armor customization excites me more than the gameplay.

Damn I didn't think I'd mind the PC delay as much as I do.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Have people forgotten that Bungie has never written good dialogue or why are we surprised that Destiny's characters are bad.

I read in the OT that people were brought to tears by the damn story, comparing it to TLOU in terms of writing and feels.

But then I see this quicklook. Is it just wildly inconsistent or what?

Mr. F

Banned
I liked the Nathan Fillion bot when he had three lines of dialogue in vanilla

not so much now

This is just reaffirming my distaste for nathan fillion. I dont know why video games have the compulsion to turn the smarmy loveable rogue archetype up to 11 as an unbearable affectation

(besides the fact that it's a shitty archetype to begin with)

Did Telltale announce a Mad Men game or did the topic just happen to come up?

Not that I mind. In fact I'm tempted to rewatch it now.

Hasney

Brad's into it.
Jeff thinks it's ok but not as great as Brad (I think).
Abby seems into it.
Ben makes bad jokes.

Brad is so into it and defends it so hard on podcasts that it would put me off playing it if I played with him. Hell, even hearing him on the podcast puts you off wanting to plah it.

Like how the Rick and Morty fandom puts people off the show, the way he tries to shut down most criticism just makes you think you dont want to be a part of it.

The thing that makes the Fillion Snark work in Firefly is the darkness and loss that you occasionally see creeping out beneath it. Things like this forget the depth and just go for the "fun stuff," which can get grating quick

oti

Banned
I read in the OT that people were brought to tears by the damn story, comparing it to TLOU in terms of writing and feels.

I'm not as far as them, but the game has not been this goofy so far. This female AI seems to be goofy to the max. There was a pretty good scene involving the main antagonist and the guy who can talk to that big ball in the sky or something.

The "emotional" moments are totally undeserved. Only people who've played this game for thousands of hours will feel something.

The opening of the game does some real solid stuff with your history playing the game, displaying who you beat each event with, when you beat it, etc. It then follows the "blow up the first real social space" with SPOILERS:
you stranded on earth for days upon days, scouring through the wreckage to find survivors and your ghost while you survive for yourself. Sappy, but effective violins play in the background. What works in the scene isn't the writing, it's the tone

EDIT: That all being said, it's really only so effective because of the experiences the players already put into Destiny. If you're a Destiny newcomer, it'll hit with a big ole' MEH

Top Bottom