• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Stoze

This is 100% my concern since they announced that. Never listen to the fans. Listening to fans is what killed Bioware.

Xbox is having such a miserable year that I half expect Cuphead to not be particularly good despite looking great in previews. Ironically, the sidescrolling levels they added based on player feedback will be the weak link.
Pretty sure side-scrolling levels were always part of what they wanted, they just had to limit themselves to a boss rush game intially because they were a team of 3 people with barely any budget. Then they got a bigger budget became a team of something like 20 people and the scope increased to fit closer to their original vision.

A.k.a. typical game development stuff but people keep latching into this silly "why did they listen to the fans" thing.

Megasoum

Banned
Mario looks incredible but I'm really woried about the controls.

I hate it when companies try to force gimmicks down our throats

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pretty sure side-scrolling levels were always part of what they wanted, they just had to limit themselves to a boss rush game intially because they were a team of 3 people with barely any budget. Then they got a bigger budget became a team of something like 20 people and the scope increased to fit closer to their original vision.

A.k.a. typical game development stuff but people keep latching into this silly "why did they listen to the fans" thing.

They also said adding the platforming stages put them at a point where if the game flops they're totally fucked

In this instance, I don't really have an opinion on listening to fans or not, but you have to admit that regular levels is a thing people were clamoring for, even if it was part of their original vision. And I said it's ironic because it's the thing they think they need to get better reviews but it'll actually drag scores down.

czHgQwg.gif

Stoze

They also said adding the platforming stages put them at a point where if the game flops they're totally fucked
And you think that also wouldn't have been the case had they not gotten the Microsoft budget/scope expansion? All or nothing is not an uncommon situation for a new indie studio's first game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And you think that also wouldn't have been the case had they not gotten the Microsoft budget/scope expansion? All or nothing is not an uncommon situation for a new indie studio's first game.

They wouldn't have brought it up in the interview if that was the case. They would have gained nothing for it. Higher budget/scope from MS also means much higher expectations from MS for future partnerships where as the original Cuphead release was only a small short shown in a sizzle reel that caught peoples attention

now its being touted as a big exclusive

BTA

Steins;Gate Elite looks really bad so I guess I can feel comfortable recommending people to play the original game still. (The trailer is also of a weird moment to show because it's spoilers.)

I... really hope reading a VN along to an anime is not actually what that series ends up being in the future.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Steins;Gate Elite looks really bad so I guess I can feel comfortable recommending people to play the original game still. (The trailer is also of a weird moment to show because it's spoilers.)

I... really hope reading a VN along to an anime is not actually what that series ends up being in the future.

Do you actually want it to be a series though? Other than it being part of the overall science adventure series.

I'm happy enough to leave the storyline as totally completed.

It's just another cheap cash-in for a franchise that has already been milked to death.

Do you actually want it to be a series though? Other than it being part of the overall science series.

I'm happy enough to leave the storyline as totally competed.

Steins;Gate 0 already makes it a series. It's mediocre, but better than all the other spin-offs S;G has spawned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's just another cheap cash-in for a franchise that has already been milked to death.

Steins;Gate 0 already makes it a series. It's mediocre, but better than all the other spin-offs S;G has spawned.

Eh, to me I guess I only care if it's an actual full on continuation from the previous game.

People talking about Root Double in that Steins;Gate Elite thread just bums me out lol. Still waiting on that Vita version. Definitely one of the Kickstarters I regret backing.

(Also: How's that Steins;Gate follow-up movie? Wasn't aware of it until recently.)

Stoze

They wouldn't have brought it up in the interview if that was the case. They would have gained nothing for it. Higher budget/scope from MS also means much higher expectations from MS for future partnerships where as the original Cuphead release was only a small short shown in a sizzle reel that caught peoples attention

now its being touted as a big exclusive
They also wouldn't have brought it up if, you know, they weren't asked it. And yeah I get it, bigger game = bigger stakes. Look, if this is the interview you're talking about, then here's a quote:
"The reality is, Cuphead is closer now to the game we always wanted," explains Chad, speaking to GamesRadar+. ”We aren't throwing levels in to mollify people, we're putting them back in after originally cutting them from our ‘dream scope.'" The problem with StudioMDHR initially being able to go through with its original ”dream scope" for Cuphead was a serious lack of resources. The studio didn't want to over-commit to a project without first seeing how people responded to it.
They didn't put up their houses and savings to just add platforming stages, they did it to add 17 more people on their development team with animators, programmers, artists, designers, add a world map, tighten up controls, get a full big band soundtrack, add a bunch more bosses, etc.,
and add platforming stages.

People talking about Root Double in that Steins;Gate Elite thread just bums me out lol. Still waiting on that Vita version. Definitely one of the Kickstarters I regret backing.
Sekai Project is horrible when it comes to vita/console releases. It's a shame because Root Double is a good game.
(Also: How's that Steins;Gate follow-up movie? Wasn't aware of it until recently.)
It's mediocre and doesn't escape the feeling that it was a forced and unnecessary sequel to something conclusively finished,

BTA

Do you actually want it to be a series though? Other than it being part of the overall science advenbture series.

I'm happy enough to leave the storyline as totally completed.

I meant the Science Adventure series as a whole; I saw something on Twitter saying the game's director wants to make more games like this in the future or something like that.

Though the announced sequel for Robotics;Notes seems like it's going to tie all 3 subseries together anyway, and at the very least will definitely play off Steins;Gate since the protagonist is
Daru, which I guess explains why 0 spent time showing him as way more competent/professional
. Which is to say the ride never ends and also we're sorta fucked unless Robotics;Notes Elite gets ported to something that's not just Vita cause we're not getting it if that's all it's on.

Chaos;Child is supposed to be good, right?

Supposedly it's excellent! I'm pretty wary because Chaos;Head was largely complete garbage (please do not complain about Okabe because from the moment you meet him he's amazing compared to C;H's main character) and this is a followup to that.

Though I'm going to wait on it for a bit (and play a different VN first) because Collar x Malice has a (much lighter but) similar tone/focus at times and V3's gonna add to that and I don't wanna get burnt out.

And on that note I'd warn you that, if it does have that same tone/atmosphere C;H had, it's much much much more weird horror than Steins;Gate's sci-fi. It also sounds like the protagonist is a bit of a jerk or at least arrogant at first but I'll still gladly take that over C;H's any day.

I meant the Science Adventure series as a whole; I saw something on Twitter saying the game's director wants to make more games like this in the future or something like that.

Though the announced sequel for Robotics;Notes seems like it's going to tie all 3 subseries together anyway, and at the very least will definitely play off Steins;Gate since the protagonist is
Daru, which I guess explains why 0 spent time showing him as way more competent/professional
. Which is to say the ride never ends and also we're sorta fucked unless Robotics;Notes Elite gets ported to something that's not just Vita cause we're not getting it if that's all it's on.

Supposedly it's excellent! I'm pretty wary because Chaos;Head was largely complete garbage (please do not complain about Okabe because from the moment you meet him he's amazing compared to C;H's main character) and this is a followup to that.

Though I'm going to wait on it for a bit (and play a different VN first) because Collar x Malice has a (much lighter but) similar tone/focus at times and V3's gonna add to that and I don't wanna get burnt out.

And on that note I'd warn you that, if it does have that same tone/atmosphere C;H had, it's much much much more weird horror than Steins;Gate's sci-fi. It also sounds like the protagonist is a bit of a jerk or at least arrogant at first but I'll still gladly take that over C;H's any day.

Hey, the first 2/3s of Chaos;Head were pretty good! The shitty protagonist is kind of the point. Too bad it doesn't end well.

hamchan

It's quite a good, emotional movie if you were into the Rintaro and Kurisu relationship.

Lari

Oh man, watching that Mario Odyssey video makes me wish the East crew would play through the game Steal My Sunshine-style.

Lingitiz

what are you playing?

I played splatoon 2, and then I regretted Sonic Mania and it's been sitting there ever since, and was sitting there in between games too
Still playing Rabbids. Still dabbling in MK8D, Arms and Splatoon 2 when new content hits (haven't even finished SP). Got a bunch of indie games downloaded and tomorrow Steamworld Dig 2 and Thimbleweed Park are out. Picross S is out next week, and hopefully Golf Story is out soon. Will probably get Pokken also. Got really close to buying 2k for the first time just to have in a portable format.

And all of those are getting mostly ignored for Metroid on 3DS right now.

What I'm saying is Nintendo has no game.

BTA

Hey, the first 2/3s of Chaos;Head were pretty good!

Nah, last 1/3 was good-ish despite being kinda ridiculous.

The first 2/3 was spent with a completely terrible main character who could barely interact with any other person, and in the end you learned very little of worth about those other characters anyway.

Though the chapter that was entirely the protagonist deluding himself into going on a pathetic walk to buy a shitty toy sword because he saw a thing on the internet that made him think it would function as real magic sword was pretty good I guess.

And I like how casually Gero Froggy is just on cell phone wallpapers in the Steins;Gate games.

Nah, last 1/3 was good-ish despite being kinda ridiculous.

The first 2/3 was spent with a completely terrible main character who could barely interact with any other person, and in the end you learned very little of worth about those other characters anyway.

Though the chapter that was entirely the protagonist deluding himself into going on a pathetic walk to buy a shitty toy sword because he saw a thing on the internet that made him think it would function as real magic sword was pretty good I guess.

And I like how casually Gero Froggy is just on cell phone wallpapers in the Steins;Gate games.

I liked the psychological thriller aspects more than Di-sword nonsense at the end. The protagonist being a shitty NEET was kind of the point and worked for what the story was aiming for.

Oh man, watching that Mario Odyssey video makes me wish the East crew would play through the game Steal My Sunshine-style.
I request that they immediately cancel Steal My Sunshine and start up Steal my Moonshine. Instead of betting gumballs they bet shots of moonshine. Last person left alive is the winner.

BTA

I liked the psychological thriller aspects more than Di-sword nonsense at the end. The protagonist being a shitty NEET was kind of the point and worked for what the story was aiming for.

I liked the thriller aspects when they came together but IIRC they were too slow for me till then, though I did particularly like that weird extra ending about the murders. Di-sword nonsense was nonsense but it was consistently entertaining at least, and the whole finding the sword in the scenery thing was neat. I'm hoping Child handles both better in any case.

It was clearly intentional (and I should say then pulling off Okabe's growth so much better makes me feel ok with them trying it out in C;H). I just couldn't tell how much it wanted me to sympathize with him or look at him with disgust when it came to things like the delusion triggers and his inability to talk to other people well, and so on. It was just very slow and grating without the payoff that Okabe gets.

Top Bottom