• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChits

The strength of Super Giant's games is how diverse they are whilst keeping such a high level of production quality and audio. They're all some of the best examples of how OST, art, world building, and theme can enhance a game.

Absolutely. One of the few studios where I'll purchase a game of theirs sight unseen day 1.

I think very highly of Persona 5. But my feelings are complicated because I feel like the plot kinda falls apart 2/3-3/4 of the way through and that really killed my enthusiasm for it.

I completely understand most the criticism surrounding it and even agree with a good chunk of it. But sometimes a game just hits right place, right time. Persona 5 did that for me even better than Persona 4 Golden. I wouldn't say it's what I'd pick as my "objective" (Read: Game I'd refer to as what all people should consider the GOTY) GOTY, but as far as my favorite game of 2017 goes so far, Persona 5 is it.

Joeku

I think very highly of Persona 5. But my feelings are complicated because I feel like the plot kinda falls apart 2/3-3/4 of the way through and that really killed my enthusiasm for it.
This is me as well. Still haven't picked it back up in like six months after putting it down. :/ I guess I should; the end is apparently nuts.

Zekes!

10 minutes in, this beastcast is shaping up to be a banger. 😂

It's weird to think that not that long ago, the Beastcast had Austin on it and the level of discourse was much more thought-provoking

Now we have Abby and Dan and the level of discourse is hilarious

This is me as well. Still haven't picked it back up in like six months after putting it down. :/ I guess I should; the end is apparently nuts.

If you played the True Ending to Persona 4, it's very much that style of thing with more SMT references.

I liked it, but I'm a sucker for that shit.

Kaibutsu

Also to consider: 2017 is a much stronger gaming year than 2014 was. Shadow of Mordor didn't deserve to win even in 2014, but the strength of the competition in 2017 - in both quality and quantity - is insane comparatively.

So many awesome games this year and there is still some heavy hitters to come for me. I mean some of the games I've loved this year are: Gravity Rush 2, yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, NieR Automata, Persona 5, Tekken 7, Splatoon 2, Hellblade, Mario + Rabbids, Everybody's Golf, Yakuza Kiwami, Destiny 2, Metroid Samus returns, Cuphead

Kaibutsu

2014 was one of the worst years in gaming of recent memory. Hurts to think about.

I get why everyone says this but really if you look at what came out 2014 was pretty good imo: Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls II, South Park Stick of Truth, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Destiny, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Super Smash Bros. Wii-U

Kaibutsu

So, does anyone know what Dan's omitted testicle story was?

(There's a sentence I wasn't expecting to type today)

some kid in little league got hit in the testicles with a baseball and his cup clamped down on his balls basically cutting them off...
Dammit Dan and his body horror stories

- J - D -

20tOKgV.jpg

I'm sad that I'm going to miss this live. Fucking responsibilities.

In my experience, spicy novelty food items like these are never as hot as they're purported to be.

repeater

So you guys are pretty positive on "Persona 5" huh? I played until I finished the first dungeon, and then I put it down for a break to play other games, and I haven't gone back to it yet. It just felt so bleak, lifeless and morose compared to P4. None of the characters really grabbed me so far either. So you're saying I should pick it up again and give it another shot?

Kaibutsu

So you guys are pretty positive on "Persona 5" huh? I played until I finished the first dungeon, and then I put it down for a break to play other games, and I haven't gone back to it yet. It just felt so bleak, lifeless and morose compared to P4. None of the characters really grabbed me so far either. So you're saying I should pick it up again and give it another shot?

Yeah give it another shot, it definitely picks up for sure. Especially as characters become more likable. It's never going to get as good as Persona 4 though. Still a great game and personally my game of the year.

LiK

Honestly, I still don’t get what people see in Bastion, especially because I’ve seen a lot of people who say they really liked it also say they didn’t get into Transistor?

I loved Transistor, and Pyre’s one of my favorite games ever now. But Bastion was just sorta ok to me. I never finished it when I first played it and when I restarted and finished it near Transistor’s release I did enjoy it but I wasn’t exactly blown away.

You should totally finish Bastion.

The characters for me never lived up to P4's, but the improved dungeons, overall plot arc, and the way it oozed style was enough for me to see it through to the end.

At the the end of P4 it felt like I was saying goodbye to the closest of friends. P5's ending never gave me that feeling.

LiK

Of course you should finish it. It's a slow buildup to greatness.

Nah it's pretty bad

Salarians

no

BTA

You should totally finish Bastion.

“...and when I restarted and finished it near Transistor�s release I did enjoy it but I wasn�t exactly blown away.”

I did finish it!

I always mix upo Tacoma and Soma

but then I remember that Soma is a good game and Tacoma is made by Fullbright

so you’re saying it’s also a good game

Of course you should finish it. It's a slow buildup to greatness.

It’s a slow buildup to greatness and then it careens off a cliff into nothingness.

LiK

“...and when I restarted and finished it near Transistor�s release I did enjoy it but I wasn�t exactly blown away.”

I did finish it!

Which ending did you get.

It’s a slow buildup to greatness and then it careens off a cliff into nothingness.

Nah. It was pretty satisfying.

I was actually thinking of trying out TMS#FE before getting back to P5. At least that one seemed silly and whimsical enough.

TMS is fun and much more light-hearted.

imBask

Banned
I just read the ending of Persona 5 on wikipedia

sounds stupid, it's bad

not surprising considering how bad the game was up until where I stopped

I just read the ending of Persona 5 on wikipedia

sounds stupid, it's bad

not surprising considering how bad the game was up until where I stopped

I just had to admit to myself I'd be totally okay with doing this to a game I hate. But it's okay because it's not like Persona 5 was good for the first half either

BTA

Which ending did you get.

Nah. It was pretty satisfying.

TMS is fun and much more light-hearted.

(Bastion)
Potential time loop or whatever end; I saved him? I think? I forget. It didn’t really do anything for me.

(Persona 5) Satisfying is not what I think of
when instead of actually doing anything interesting with Akechi after they finally execute the incredibly obvious twist (during the buildup of which I was spoiled for it anyway) they immediately... kill him off (at least till spinoffs, of course) in the most laughably bad attempt at redeeming a villain I’ve seen in a while, such that I fully expected him to still be alive till someone in the OT told me that was it. And with the cast spending a fucking group text’s length of time thinking about it before it’s dropped ENTIRELY from the game barring a few offhand comments near the end that he was supposedly the bad version of Joker. You couldn’t at least have him sacrifice himself during the fight with Shido, really? Or have the cast actually say ANYTHING to each other about it? Someone they knew (and spent the past few months trying to deal with!) just fucking DIED in front of them, sacrificing himself for them even, and they’re gonna move on like nothing happened? Not even gonna meet up to be there for each other and work through it, just drop some texts? Seriously? It was completely unsatisfying after waiting the entire game for them to actually get to the point with his part of the plot.

Then the final villain reveal comes out of nowhere (despite me also being spoiled for Igor and trying to see indications of it beforehand). The first 2/3 of the game has no resolution and the last 1/3 has barely any setup. I can hardly call that satisfying.

And the combat devolved into just constant phys crits because lol what are weaknesses and strategy, and yes I’ve already been told other SMT games are like this and no that doesn’t excuse it.

TMS has way better combat than P5 and I strongly recommend it if you’re looking for something fun, yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom