• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Ben just needs someone to really bounce off of. There's potential, there really is, but I feel none of West is a good fit with Ben.

He needs a job were he isn't on camera all the time. Not because he's bad (I'm not trying to be mean), but he obviously has issues with pressure and it translates to open hostility with the community. It's not a good look.

I had no problem with Ben's voice when he started, but it's starting to get to me. He says "uhhhh" a lot and his vocal fry is starting to give me the "nails on a chalkboard" feeling.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He needs a job were he isn't on camera all the time. Not because he's bad (I'm not trying to be mean), but he obviously has issues with pressure and it translates to open hostility with the community. It's not a good look.

I seriously don't see that at all except with kingdom heartache when it's clear that it got to him.

Other than that I don't see how you can think that.

yami4ct

I seriously don't see that at all except with kingdom heartache when it's clear that it got to him.

Other than that I don't see how you can think that.

Every stream where he's on chat he's making snide comments or is otherwise very short tempered with anything chat says, valid or otherwise. It's also getting noticeably worse IMO.

Antiwhippy

Every stream where he's on chat he's making snide comments or is otherwise very short tempered with anything chat says, valid or otherwise. It's also getting noticeably worse IMO.

.... unless he's actually doing it in chat I'm not seeing what you're talking about dude.

If he's doing it in chat then fair enough, I've never actually interacted with GB chat much.

yami4ct

.... unless he's actually doing it in chat I'm not seeing what you're talking about dude.

If he's doing it in chat then fair enough, I've never actually interacted with GB chat much.

The example that comes quickest to mind is during one of the classic game streams, chat asked him if he had played Pokken and he went off on a pretty tense rant about they talk about all the games they played on the bombcast and if he didn't talk about it there then he hadn't played it.

There's also the fact he feels the need to make a smartass comment whenever anyone corrects him on anything.

Antiwhippy

Mmm ok, I'll take your word for it I guess? Most of the time he seems super mellow talking about chat. I can't even really recall that example.

And that's after that period where chat was continuously giving him shit apparently.

yami4ct

Not to fully put the blame on Ben, West in general has a more hostile interaction with the community and criticism than east in general IMO. Ben just seems to have gone into that environment and taken that up a notch, but again this is just been what I've been feeling about things so, take that for what it's worth I guess.

The example that comes quickest to mind is during one of the classic game streams, chat asked him if he had played Pokken and he went off on a pretty tense rant about they talk about all the games they played on the bombcast and if he didn't talk about it there then he hadn't played it.

There's also the fact he feels the need to make a smartass comment whenever anyone corrects him on anything.

but

he wasn't on the bombcast when Pokken originally came out...unless it's the switch version, which nobody talked about at all. Either way, a question like that shouldn't elicit a response.

That is a pretty damn passive aggressive response if he really did rant.

yami4ct

but

he wasn't on the bombcast when Pokken originally came out...unless it's the switch version, which nobody talked about at all.

That is a pretty damn passive aggressive response if he really did rant.

They were asking about Pokken Deluxe, right. It was the classic games stream a week or two before it hit I think. Maybe rant is a bit extreme, but it really super stood out for its passive aggressiveness to me.

Antiwhippy

So Pokken DX hit on Spe 22 right?

Unless I'm looking at things wrongly there's actually no classic video games stream the week or 2 before it?

yami4ct

So Pokken DX hit on Spe 22 right?

Unless I'm looking at things wrongly there's actually no classic video games stream the week or 2 before it?

Looking at the videos it might have been the taste of summer stream. I know jeff was on the same stream and Ben was sitting on the couch reading questions. I forget exactly what stream it was. I thought it was when someone brought in a sega console but I could be very wrong.

I'm 100% sure that event happened, though. I remember watching it live and talking about how weird it was in the discord chat.

Antiwhippy

Alright, I'll give that one another look. Would be curious because I find his chat interaction whenever he brings it up to be pretty inoffensive.

I think you guys are blowing it out of proportion. Ben was just a bit irritated when the chat kept asking him about games they KNOW they didn't play. It happens all the time and seriously throws off discussions when they keep having to address stupid questions. Chat more or less is terrible. Given any time where chat gets to chose the games they play (like Old Game Show, or on UPF) they always choose the most boring/worst/youtube streaming type game instead of something that would be interesting. Ben wasn't ranting or anything, he basically was saying "look, pay attention to what we say, if we have been playing a specific game, we'll be talking about it, if we haven't, then most likely we haven't played it"
And with something like Pokken, a game no one on staff is even remotely interested in.... chat really doesn't pay attention

yami4ct

I have no idea why, but whenever I think of 2009 wolfenstein I also think of singularity.

I think it qualifies as a B-Tier shooter in the same way so I can see it. We don't really get games of that size all that much anymore, but they seem to be coming back from the ground up from the indie space.

Antiwhippy

Thing is there are a ton of B-tier shooters around, so it doesn't seem that reasonable to associate them that closely.

I guess both being alt history and also being known for being surprisingly good.

Speaking of Wolfenstein though, remember this?

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/a-wager-fulfilled/2300-1295/

I like how ryan just casually took a swig like it was nothing.

edit: oh shit, didn't know they were both raven. Maybe that's why.

robotrock

Banned
I wish I could play Wolfenstein 2009. But on PC, it costs $80 on Amazon for a new copy and $70 for a used one. Really wish Bethesda and Activision worked something out so someone could continue to sell it.

Jintor

Thing is there are a ton of B-tier shooters around, so it doesn't seem that reasonable to associate them that closely.

I guess both being alt history and also being known for being surprisingly good.

Speaking of Wolfenstein though, remember this?

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/a-wager-fulfilled/2300-1295/

I like how ryan just casually took a swig like it was nothing.

edit: oh shit, didn't know they were both raven. Maybe that's why.

is this the very first sausalito place?

is sausalito the same as the basement office or different?

god I can't even remember when I got into GB

Not to fully put the blame on Ben, West in general has a more hostile interaction with the community and criticism than east in general IMO. Ben just seems to have gone into that environment and taken that up a notch, but again this is just been what I've been feeling about things so, take that for what it's worth I guess.

I like Ben and hes gotten better over time, kind of gradually becoming a better fit with the team. I can't say the same for Rorie. That dude is cringe city.

Joeku

is this the very first sausalito place?

is sausalito the same as the basement office or different?

god I can't even remember when I got into GB

Yeah, Sausalito was the first basement. The second basement was the bigger one with Tested, Screened, etc. Then third-floor CBSi, and now first-floor CBSi.

And Singularity is so fucking good.

protect rorie at all costs
Wait.

They do a straight-up Black Lodge reference in this game? Is it more than a throwaway?

It's just a throwaway/reference but it makes sense because the world of The Evil Within doesn't exactly take place in an ordinary world...
Twin Peaks the return is 100 times worse than season 2.

sVGRwnx.gif

HOLY SHIT THIS IS TEW2?

I'm starting this immediately

I only played through half of the first one, what do I need to know going into this?

There's not a lot you need to know to get up to speed with this game as it seems that this one while it is a continuation of the story character wise, it's not the continuation of the events that happened in the first game because you'll know why once you understand where the first game took place in. There is a reference about the events of the first game but so far it seems that the entire focus of this game has something to do with the main character where in the first game, that wasn't the case. I mean, you barely even know about the main character if you weren't reading the documents you collected and shit.

I got to say, I'm really impressed with the presentation of this game compared to the first one. It also looks better, however, I feel that the art direction of the first game is stronger since that game changed environments from chapter to chapter.

I'm 3 hours into Prey after the praise it got in this thread lately.

What a great game. Miles better than the overrated pieces of crap that is Bishock and Bioshock Infinite (Bioshock 2 is pretty damn good).

I like Ben a lot (as everyone should), but I can see where some people are coming from. Psychoanalyzing is not a great look, but I think most of it is that he's just stressed or tense. The producer situation is really tough, between interviews and Jason being sick. He's alluded to being in the midst of trying to get healthier, which is a struggle in itself. The fires are probably fucking with everyone, on top of the rest of these things. And I think that his early content ideas (Kingdom Heartache, Dota, DNB) have been pretty ambitious, but are based on things that are sort've love/hate to begin with. (Anime-ish stuff, Dota, weird improv) Since people that hate things are always more vocal, it's probably seemed like a lot of negativity in a short time. Compounded with Rorie being out of the loop and asking him about these features on livestreams without knowing the sensitivity of them, Ben's the bear getting poked over and over and over again. The Bombcast aftershow is pretty neat, but so reliant on callers knowing how the hell to make discord work that there are moments that can seem iffy.

There's probably some room for improvement in terms of cultivating a certain vibe with the community, but the community has to do their half of that. That starts with a level of basic respect, giving a person some slack and being constructive. If you want someone to do a better job, saying 'they suck' is maybe the worst way to do that. Just be cool, be constructive, instead of trying to earn coolness points by being the 8 millionth person to shit-talk DOTA or Kingdom Hearts. (A game I don't enjoy either, for the record).

(Edit: on another note, I'm probably late as hell to this but I just watched the 'every time they swear in contra' video and this shit rules)

I like Ben a lot (as everyone should), but I can see where some people are coming from. Psychoanalyzing is not a great look, but I think most of it is that he's just stressed or tense. The producer situation is really tough, between interviews and Jason being sick. He's alluded to being in the midst of trying to get healthier, which is a struggle in itself. The fires are probably fucking with everyone, on top of the rest of these things. And I think that his early content ideas (Kingdom Heartache, Dota, DNB) have been pretty ambitious, but are based on things that are sort've love/hate to begin with. (Anime-ish stuff, Dota, weird improv) Since people that hate things are always more vocal, it's probably seemed like a lot of negativity in a short time. Compounded with Rorie being out of the loop and asking him about these features on livestreams without knowing the sensitivity of them, Ben's the bear getting poked over and over and over again. The Bombcast aftershow is pretty neat, but so reliant on callers knowing how the hell to make discord work that there are moments that can seem iffy.

There's probably some room for improvement in terms of cultivating a certain vibe with the community, but the community has to do their half of that. That starts with a level of basic respect, giving a person some slack and being constructive. If you want someone to do a better job, saying 'they suck' is maybe the worst way to do that. Just be cool, be constructive, instead of trying to earn coolness points by being the 8 millionth person to shit-talk DOTA or Kingdom Hearts. (A game I don't enjoy either, for the record).

(Edit: on another note, I'm probably late as hell to this but I just watched the 'every time they swear in contra' video and this shit rules)

This is a general statement, and not directed towards anyone. The hiring waves at Giant Bomb go:

Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
NewHire is okay
NewHire is okay
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool

Ben absolutely had to know what he was walking into, and I wish that he could roll with the early punches better.

I can't think of anyone being liked immediately (other than Abby by most people) when they came into the GiantBombverse, but I can't think of anyone else that goes back at the fanbase either other than Ben.

Very well stated.

Hindl

I'm also not sure this thread is the best to comment on Ben's relationship with the community considering just a few days ago, somehow a joke Jeff made in poor taste about the Celtics turned into a page of how Ben is unfunny and tries too hard

This is a general statement, and not directed towards anyone. The hiring waves at Giant Bomb go:

Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
NewHire is okay
NewHire is okay
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool

Ben absolutely had to know what he was walking into, and I wish that he could roll with the early punches better.

I can't think of anyone being liked immediately (other than Abby by most people) when they came into the GiantBombverse, but I can't think of anyone else that goes back at the fanbase either other than Ben.

Man, "They should get over harassment because it's normal" is always the shittiest of common video game community opinions.

Antiwhippy

Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
Fuck NewHire
NewHire is okay
NewHire is okay
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool
NewHire is cool

Yeah and those cases sucked too.

And Abby had to endure her share of shit too, considering that she even wrote about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom