• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, "They should get over harassment because it's normal" is always the shittiest of common video game community opinions.

I didn't say he should get over it. I don't think it's right either.

All I'm saying is, with the way the internet works more times than not, I wish he wouldn't have taken the attack back stance since he himself has said he has issues with everyone giving him shit.

I don't know how I would handle it either, but I think he made it worse for himself.

Yeah and those cases sucked too.

And Abby had to endure her share of shit too, considering that she even wrote about it.

The nonsense she took is way worse, especially based off of her post the other day. I know I'm not equipped to speak on what she had to deal with, so I'll just say "Fuck those people."

Nicotine
Valium
Vicodin
Marijuana
Ecstasy
Alcohol.

If you want to hang out, you've gotta take her out, cocaine
If you want to get down, get down on the ground, cocaine

She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Cocaine

If you got that lose, you want to kick them blues, cocaine
When your day is done, and you want to ride on cocaine

Cocaine

If your day is gone, and you want to ride on, cocaine
Don't forget this fact, you can't get it back, cocaine

Cocaine

Cocaine

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Considering what he has to take I don't even really see him as really attacking back.

Like honestly right now is like the first time I've even really considered him being antagonistic? Like what.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like Ben a lot (as everyone should), but I can see where some people are coming from. Psychoanalyzing is not a great look, but I think most of it is that he's just stressed or tense. The producer situation is really tough, between interviews and Jason being sick. He's alluded to being in the midst of trying to get healthier, which is a struggle in itself. The fires are probably fucking with everyone, on top of the rest of these things. And I think that his early content ideas (Kingdom Heartache, Dota, DNB) have been pretty ambitious, but are based on things that are sort've love/hate to begin with. (Anime-ish stuff, Dota, weird improv) Since people that hate things are always more vocal, it's probably seemed like a lot of negativity in a short time. Compounded with Rorie being out of the loop and asking him about these features on livestreams without knowing the sensitivity of them, Ben's the bear getting poked over and over and over again. The Bombcast aftershow is pretty neat, but so reliant on callers knowing how the hell to make discord work that there are moments that can seem iffy.

There's probably some room for improvement in terms of cultivating a certain vibe with the community, but the community has to do their half of that. That starts with a level of basic respect, giving a person some slack and being constructive. If you want someone to do a better job, saying 'they suck' is maybe the worst way to do that. Just be cool, be constructive, instead of trying to earn coolness points by being the 8 millionth person to shit-talk DOTA or Kingdom Hearts. (A game I don't enjoy either, for the record).

(Edit: on another note, I'm probably late as hell to this but I just watched the 'every time they swear in contra' video and this shit rules)
Yup

I didn't say he should get over it. I don't think it's right either.

All I'm saying is, with the way the internet works more times than not, I wish he wouldn't have taken the attack back stance since he himself has said he has issues with everyone giving him shit.

I don't know how I would handle it either, but I think he made it worse for himself.

This is basically 'Victim Blaming: The Post'.

Instead of empathizing with Ben because the world at large and people on the Internet are shitty, your taking the time to say "well he should have known, he should really have taken this bullshit better in silence."

In his defense, the level of criticism and entitlement in this thread alone over the last 6 moths or so has been nuts. You'd have thunk they had cancelled all other content forever when they were doing the Destiny raid, with the level of bitching in here. And look how entertaining the raid streams were in retrospect!

Considering what he has to take I don't even really see him as really attacking back.

Like honestly right now is like the first time I've even really considered him being antagonistic? Like what.

I personally don't think he's trying to piss anyone off either, but if people are perceiving things he's done as "antagonistic", I'm just speaking based off of that.

He's already in a 1 vs 10000s scenario, and like I said, he's admitted to having a hard time with people shitting on him in that type of situation (as any of us would). The few times he's remotely spoken against that situation, everyone gets all rowdy and says he's arguing/attacking, and then the backlash amps up again.

For whatever reason, it just seems like he's going to have it rough for a while with him vs the community.

This is basically 'Victim Blaming: The Post'.

Instead of empathizing with Ben because the world at large and people on the Internet are shitty, your taking the time to say "well he should have known, he should really have taken this bullshit better in silence."

In his defense, the level of criticism and entitlement in this thread alone over the last 6 moths or so has been nuts. You'd have thunk they had cancelled all other content forever when they were doing the Destiny raid, with the level of bitching in here. And look how entertaining the raid streams were in retrospect!

Just because you keep telling me I'm blaming him for what's happening, doesn't mean that's what I'm doing.

I feel horrible for the guy that his job has been nothing but shots from the internet for the past month or two. I feel horrible that during the COD stream people said enough shit to him to make him not want to talk.

All I'm saying (and said) is that "Me vs the internet" is a REALLY tough/bold stance to take, and since he said he has issues with people yelling at him/mocking him, that's going to be extremely rough for him.

Antiwhippy

Like its just one dude in this thread really?

And I don't even really agree with him but I might not be seeing the same things he's seen or heard.

The only time I perceive it is from some parts in kingdom heartache and it's more from his frustration with the game.

Otherwise like today is literally the first time I ever heard about that idea. Or even considered it. To me he's pretty much been pretty mellow.

Like the most egregious him vs community thing I can remember is him staying silent and crestfallen when chat was just spamming attacks against him.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
anyone lashing out at GB Chat is a hero in my book. that shit is a swamp. a cesspool.

And I don't even really agree with him but I might not be seeing the same things he's seen or heard.

The only time I perceive it is from some parts in kingdom heartache and it's more from his frustration with the game.

Otherwise like today is literally the first time I ever heard about that idea.

Who knows. I'm gonna drop it because I don't want to make it sound like it's worse than it is, and I also can't explain myself properly and don't want to fight with people, haha.

2970493-cp_amorticianstale_10202017.00_13_45_08.still001.jpg

Quick Look: A Mortician's Tale
Alex and Abby team up to learn a thing or two about the Death Industry.

Video Notes:

This game deals very closely with death and dying. It's all handled respectfully, but it's not for everyone.

Antiwhippy

BTW, I heard that prey is pretty hard, so any advice on mod paths to go down?

Doesn't seem to bad though. The glu gun seems to really trivialise combat honestly.

Doesn't seem to bad though. The glu gun seems to really trivialise combat honestly.

Everyone says go for the alien/special abilities. I did the opposite of that when I tried to play through it and fucked myself about 3-4 hours in, haha.

Go with what your instincts tell you. The best advice I could give you is to collect all the trash you find, in all of the rooms. Don't leave anything behind because all the junk can be put to good use.

Valtýr

It's a little challenging at first but you get so many neuromods that you can spec in any direction you want and it makes it much easier.

Phu

Banned

Otherwise like today is literally the first time I ever heard about that idea. Or even considered it. To me he's pretty much been pretty mellow.

Like the most egregious him vs community thing I can remember is him staying silent and crestfallen when chat was just spamming attacks against him.

I think I've seen most, if not all, the stuff Ben's done since joining and I haven't picked up on any real aggressiveness towards the community. Heck, if I was in his position I'd probably dig in harder just to take the piss out of chat.

Antiwhippy

Valtýr;252705081 said:
It's a little challenging at first but you get so many neuromods that you can spec in any direction you want and it makes it much easier.

Ah alright, I was hoping that would be the case.

I heard that if you don't spec a certain way the ending Falls kinda flat so I'm hoping to avoid that.

didn't Ben say he deliberately avoids YouTube comments because of all the shit-talking of him now

think it was in the AMA they did

also I think he did some venting about comments on Twitter a while ago

saying he's "lashing out" is one thing, but he's definitely referenced his mixed reception before

Strax

Dan saying he's played over 20 hours of the new South Park while being at 16 hours myself and have 2-3 small side missions left has me puzzled.

Nerokis

If we’re talking about relations between Ben and the community, the weird aggressions pretty much all coming from the community, TBF.

This is accurate. Some of the criticism directed at Ben verges on the bizarre, and this is an example of that. Most everyone on staff has flashed “passive-aggressiveness” (term doesn’t feel quite right to me) toward the community at some point or another, including Abby. For example, I remember her mentioning at some point that she had stopped reading comments, and was all the happier for it. To be so sensitive to any display of perceived negativity from Ben that you’d suggest he get a different job is sort of incredible, in a way.

I mention Abby, specifically, because she’s in a similar position as Ben: new to this whole thing, transition being made a bit harder by a community that isn’t uniformly pleasant (which community is, right?). It requires approaching Ben with zero empathy to translate “wait, did he seem iffy about the audience right there?” into “he should get a new job, then.”

Also, I feel bad writing all those words on this subject, because...yeah, to the extent that Ben has responded negatively to chat or whatever, it hasn’t seemed particularly notable?

pizzacat

Banned

I'm a little biased on my third playthrough but all I can say really is that your best weapons/ability are the ones you start with

Conserve stamina, you can do a flurry of attacks but are going to hit for low dmg or a charged conserved melee attack for chances of crits

The game is all about how you want to play though so you can totally ignore me and go for gun nueromods, or do an alien power run etc

Also don't think things are as hard to find as it is in the beginning, you get to a point where you can make neuromods so yeah enjoy really really great game

Antiwhippy

I'm a little biased on my third playthrough but all I can say really is that your best weapons/ability are the ones you start with

Conserve stamina, you can do a flurry of attacks but are going to hit for low dmg or a charged conserved melee attack for chances of crits

The game is all about how you want to play though so you can totally ignore me and go for gun nueromods, or do an alien power run etc

Also don't think things are as hard to find as it is in the beginning, you get to a point where you can make neuromods so yeah enjoy really really great game

I'm having fun with Glu + wrench so far and I'm usually not good with guns, so that's music to my ears.

Oakinn

I'm on a very very small podcast. And reading any negative shit about yourself sucks.

I can't imagine what it's like to be Ben(or any of these guys) where you could be getting shit thrown at you from thousands of people in real time. In the last 5 pages I've read he should be shipped to polygon, he should stay in the producer role off camera, and that his voice is too annoying.

Like come on

I'm on a very very small podcast. And reading any negative shit about yourself sucks.

I can't imagine what it's like to be Ben(or any of these guys) where you could be getting shit thrown at you from thousands of people in real time. In the last 5 pages I've read he should be shipped to polygon, he should stay in the producer role off camera, and that his voice is too annoying.

Like come on

did someone literally say "shipped"

like Polygon's Abu Dhabi or something

Lari

I really like Ben, his sense of humor can be hit or miss but i'm someone who really appreciates a good bad joke, so I find that endearing :)

I wish he was in more videos i'd watch, that's more a general west crew problem for me, though. They don't usually make the kind of videos i'm interested in watching and that's fine.

In other news, my Super Nintendo Mini arrived yesterday! only got to play a few levels of Mario so far, but damn if this tiny console isn't cool.

I've come to accept that Ben's voice is never going to improve, but there are definite places he can be better in. Dude doesn't have to try to crack a bad joke every other line, for example.

Nerokis

Like come on

Ben isn't a production guy, right? I don't think he's gotten enough kudos for picking up some production skills in order to lighten Jason's load. Actually, unless that "he should stay in the producer role" line is counted, I'm not sure I've seen him get any at all.

kingocfs

Abby publicly calls out all of the weirdos in this "community," no push back.

Ben decides to respond to some dumb comments every once in a while, and we get gems like this:

Every stream where he's on chat he's making snide comments or is otherwise very short tempered with anything chat says, valid or otherwise. It's also getting noticeably worse IMO.

This is a general statement, and not directed towards anyone. The hiring waves at Giant Bomb go:

This did not happen with anyone other than maybe Patrick. Dan, Austin, Abby, and Jason were liked from the get-go, or at least as liked as they ever would be. We're having the same conversations about Dan that we had when he was first hired after-all.

Wunder

Ben isn't a production guy, right? I don't think he's gotten enough kudos for picking up some production skills in order to lighten Jason's load. Actually, unless that "he should stay in the producer role" line is counted, I'm not sure I've seen him get any at all.

Nope, and I've gone through this before so I won't go on another long post about it but Ben's position was very much a junior editor's position. The fact that he's had to (almost single-handedly) produce long standing features of the site as well as managing to host and produce his own features is something that should be commended. Regardless of your thoughts on his personality, jokes or voice. Dude was thrust into a terrible position with numerous things going wrong that couldn't be accounted for and I think he's doing a damn good job keeping up with things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom