• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derFeef

Is it weird that I think NBA Live looks better during a match than 2K? I am giving the ea access trial a shot for sure. I wanna see my Gameface, lol.

Tagyhag

I'm reminded of Dan's defense mechanism that he and his father use, and in a slightly different world, they'd all be Republicans lol.

It's actually kinda inspiring having them be from the Bible Belt and coming out progressive. People can make fun of Dan for his stubbornness but he's a good person.

Is it weird that I think NBA Live looks better during a match than 2K? I am giving the ea access trial a shot for sure. I wanna see my Gameface, lol.

I played the NBA Live demo and had way more fun with it than any other basketball game that has come out in the past 10 years. It also looks way better than 2K18 graphically, imo.

Salvadora

The DS game is easily the worst of the series by a good country mile.

Wii alone was a massive upgrade.
I'd say New Super Mario Bros 2 was the worst.

The DS game have the novelty of being "new" (no pun intended), but by the 3DS version I had actively grown to hate the series.

oti

Banned
I'd say New Super Mario Bros 2 was the worst.

The DS game have the novelty of being "new" (no pun intended), but by the 3DS version I had actively grown to hate the series.

Having a new 2D Mario was a big deal. I loved it.

Yes, even the music.

Every single argument with Dan is that webcomic

guy: *is an idiot/says some idiotic shit*

Everyone: "Wow that guy is an idiot"

guy: "joke's on them, I was only pretending to be an idiot"

My hate for the "new" series comes from not just the absolute garbage artstyle, but also the physics and the rehashing and multiple iterations that unless you told me which system it came out for, I couldn't tell the difference. New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. WiiU, New Super Mario Bros. 3DS.... such a terrible naming scheme. The original one on DS was fine... not great, but fine, then they just kept putting out new ones.

My hate for the "new" series comes from not just the absolute garbage artstyle, but also the physics and the rehashing and multiple iterations that unless you told me which system it came out for, I couldn't tell the difference. New Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. WiiU, New Super Mario Bros. 3DS.... such a terrible naming scheme. The original one on DS was fine... not great, but fine, then they just kept putting out new ones.

I agree with this. If it had just been the DS and the Wii games I think the overall opinion would be different.

daveo42

Banned
Dan right now:
tumblr_inline_okzj8ojoSQ1r76lqg_400.gif

Harpuia

After watching SMS, that game looks remarkably rushed out. It may not have come across that way when it first released because, most of the early GCN games have that "we're finally starting to figure out 3D" vibes, but man, some of the textures in the game look like, first drafts. The enemies are all non-mario classical enemies, despite going for a "new continent, new flora/fauna" thing. Hell I imagine Yoshi dissolves in water because they didn't have time to implement a swimming feature.

Are there any pieces out there SMS's development history?

Sounds like Alex is having a rough morning. Maybe send some positive vibes his way?

Depression is not a joke nor an after thought. I'm glad he's open enough to talk about it since that's the healthy way to go about things. I sent him my positive thoughts and I hope he feels better sooner rather than later.

Hindl

After watching SMS, that game looks remarkably rushed out. It may not have come across that way when it first released because, most of the early GCN games have that "we're finally starting to figure out 3D" vibes, but man, some of the textures in the game look like, first drafts. The enemies are all non-mario classical enemies, despite going for a "new continent, new flora/fauna" thing. Hell I imagine Yoshi dissolves in water because they didn't have time to implement a swimming feature.

SMS and WW were rushed to launch and that's why both don't feel complete (although WW is much better).

Here's an interview with Miyamoto, Tezuka, and Koizumi talking about the development in general (basically Iwata asks pre-Iwata)
http://www.gamecubicle.com/interview-super_mario_sunshine.htm

LiK

From what little I remember, I recall that an outlet mentioned that it was rushed out during development so that the GC would have a Mario title since Luigi's Mansion didn't exactly get them the sales at launch.

Edit: Ah, that's even better.

Hindl

somehow this mario mainline game talk is still going on in Twitter. dan, what have you unleashed?
It's become this weird meta-narrative on modern society. The last I saw of it is Tim (with Dan agreeing with him) saying that to him, the games don't "count" as mainline games despite what Nintendo says. And then saying "This is just my opinion I'm not trying to make everyone feel this way!" If you take out mentions of Nintendo and Mario and just abstract it out that's basically the whole fake news and alternative facts thing

Tagyhag

It's become this weird meta-narrative on modern society. The last I saw of it is Tim (with Dan agreeing with him) saying that to him, the games don't "count" as mainline games despite what Nintendo says. And then saying "This is just my opinion I'm not trying to make everyone feel this way!" If you take out mentions of Nintendo and Mario and just abstract it out that's basically the whole fake news and alternative facts thing

Isn't Dan the one that uses Miyamoto's interview to defend Yoshi's Island? You can't have it both ways Dan!

oti

Banned
FEATURE IDEA: Dan's Last Stand

Dan presents one of his WACKY opinions to a panel of experts and the community. After a fiery debate between Dan and... everyone else... the community will have to decide who won the debate via a Twitter poll.

Jeff, call me.

You can change the title if you want to.

Harpuia

Man the GBA and GCN era had no new Mario games beside sunshine. The GBA only got the remakes of smb2, smb3, world and Yoshis island. I guess Mario vs Donkey Kong could count, but the GBA didn't get a platformer Mario game...which is supremely odd. What an odd era the GameCube was.

Dan presents one of his WACKY opinions to a panel of experts and the community. After a fiery debate between Dan and... everyone else... the community will have to decide who won the debate via a Twitter poll.

Jeff, call me.

You can change the title of you want to.

I do like this idea

Not a mainline game, but Mario Land 2 is always the game I flash back to when thinking about Mario. I didn't have a Nintendo console until the N64 so all my early/mid 90s Nintendo memories are the Game Boy entries; Mario Land, Link's Awakening, Metroid 2, etc.

Also, another topic entirely, but holy shit, this Movies Anywhere thing (Disney Movies Anywhere plus other studios) is, like, the best possible scenario for digital movies? Kind of shocked it actually happened.

Hindl

Man the GBA and GCN era had no new Mario games beside sunshine. The GBA only got the remakes of smb2, smb3, world and Yoshis island. I guess Mario vs Donkey Kong could count, but the GBA didn't get a platformer Mario game...which is supremely odd. What an odd era the GameCube was.

To be fair, the GBA was only around for 3 years as the main Nintendo handheld. They released other stuff for it but they weren't gonna put a new Mario game on their old platform

Jeff, call me.

You can change the title if you want to.

Ah, peace and quiet.

#ADayWithoutDan
4MAs3E3.gif

Don’t worry I guys I’m back from my 24 hour ban I know you were all worried sick
Welcome back!

daveo42

Banned
No, the perfect Dan content would be him hooked up to a lie detector while he recites his opinions. At the end of every episode, we get a run down of how Dan did, including reaction shots of Dan as he's exposed for have normal, regular opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom