• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why? It's basically the same as the first game, with a deeper Nemesis system. It's a solid OK game, it's not absolute trash like people are making it out to be. It's just a fun Hack and Slash type game. Loot Boxes are everywhere, this game is no different. You know what else? You can ignore them, they don't ever force you to pull out your wallet and spend more money, and also you know what? You can actually just decline the Terms of Service and it won't even show up in the game at all....

Every article and person completely fails to mention these thing when complaining about the game that they haven't even booted up and played. Take it from someone who actually owns and plays it... it's not a big deal, don't worry about it and just spend time killing orcs. It's decent fun.

It appears to be another boring open world Ubisoft-esque collectathon with boring characters, tedious combat, and now loot boxes. Just a complete by the numbers, "modern video game."

The game (or any game with loot boxes) is balanced around pushing you to buy loot boxes, or grind away. You can't just ignore (or deny the TOS) the balance issues loot boxes cause. There is no magical "play the game where the designers balanced the game without loot boxes" button. Loot boxes and the balancing issues it causes affects all aspects of the game design, it's not just something you can turn off or ignore.

mXTx09W.png

oti

Banned
It appears to be another boring open world Ubisoft-esque collectathon with boring characters, tedious combat, and now loot boxes. Just a complete by the numbers, "modern video game."

The game (or any game with loot boxes) is balanced around pushing you to buy loot boxes, or grind away. You can't just ignore (or deny the TOS) the balance issues loot boxes cause. There is no magical "play the game where the designers balanced the game without loot boxes" button. Loot boxes and the balancing issues it causes affects all aspects of the game design, it's not just something you can turn off or ignore.

Reviews: "You can ignore the loot boxes."
You: "I haven't played it but I say you can't."

Ok.

Look, if you think that game is boring, fine. So be it. But don't put the boogeyman loot boxes in there to try and make a point. If you just want to express your anger because of the loot boxes, just do that instead of trying to say the game you haven't even played is boring. It devalues anything meaningful you might have to say.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Reviews: "You can ignore the loot boxes."
You: "I haven't played it but I say you can't."

Ok.

Look, if you think that game is boring, fine. So be it. But don't put the boogeyman loot boxes in there to try and make a point. If you just want to express your anger because of the loot boxes, just do that instead of trying to say the game you haven't even played is boring. It devalues anything meaningful you might have to say.

No, the game looks like boring shit, plus now it has loot boxes. Loot boxes by their nature affect balance, whether you want to admit it or not.

I played the first and it's everything I hate about modern gaming.

Harpuia

No, the game looks like boring shit, plus now it has loot boxes. Loot boxes by their nature affect balance, whether you want to admit it or not.

I played the first and it's everything I hate about modern gaming.

I'd wager to say that this isn't true, only if it has informed the natural progression in the game. If the prices of the boxes or any micro transaction has in anyway affected the economy of the in-game resources, or if difficulty scales in such a way that it makes the boxes a viable requirement or needed for progression, then it is the case that the lootboxes have affected scale.

Case in point, Deus Ex Mankind Divided definitely had them tacked on as an afterthought, in a way which didn't explicitly imply that they were developed along the game's mechanics.

I'm unsure of what the state of the boxes are for Shadow of War, but loot boxes do not necessarily mean that gameplay has been designed around them.

oti

Banned
I would adore a feature with Brad checking out all the Lord of the Rings games and geeking out about the lore.

I remember some pay to level up stuff in Deus Ex MD, but the game gave you so many praxis kits and credits that it felt unnecessary. Maybe if you were playing it as a shooter and never explored it’d be different. It was strange.

Saying Lord of the Rings names are dumb is the coldest take I've heard this fortnight.

I've always wondered this about LOTR lorist. Do they acknowledge the weird racist undertones of tolkien lore?

No that has never come up despite it being one of the most widely read and studied fiction series in the past hundred years.

dcassell

Banned

That looks so nice. I bought what looked like a fancy one off Amazon (This one) that now looks great, but took about 5 hours to put together compared to the half hour my last one took from Ikea. I also had to manually drill in like three holes to the wood. Luckily, I had the bits needed to do that, otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

Next time, I'm going back to a fancier one from Ikea.

I still can't believe that there's an R-rated cut of a fucking Hobbit movie.

Such a bewildering trilogy. It's like they looked back on every successful decision they made in adapting Lord of the Rings and said "okay but what if we did the exact opposite"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom