• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dan is like the main reason Giant Bomb bounced back after the passing of Ryan.. the site was in need of a resurgence and hiring a real life Waluigi was just thing to help

Meguro

Banned
I think Dan is like the main reason Giant Bomb bounced back after the passing of Ryan.. the site was in need of a resurgence and hiring a real life Waluigi was just thing to help

I don't think this is even in contention. Dan is the reason Giantbomb got back on its feet. I just wish he would've mellowed out a bit by now.

Dan Ryckert is the messiah. Old Dan died for our sins.

The greatest trick the Dan ever pulled was convincing the world that New Dan existed.

BTA

I... think my phone just updated without requiring me to restore from a backup, in the end?

Just cancelled the popup saying I'd have to restore from nothing, and then restarted the update (since I wasn't sure my Macbook had fully downloaded it anyway), and... then it just worked fine, despite starting from a state where it wouldn't work without updating/restoring.

Like... ok, sure, I'll take it. But I'm scared how well that worked in the end.

Zaph

jeff's heading into the office, hope that means the fire situation has improved over there? http://mixlr.com/jeff-gerstmann/

I don't think this is even in contention. Dan is the reason Giantbomb got back on its feet. I just wish he would've mellowed out a bit by now.

nah, it's the same spirit that made him put on a waluigi outfit and think up one of the best features the site has had. And if some folks get heated about mario along the way? that's fine

Dan gave us the coaster video, the oreos and cheese, Mario Party Party, Steal My Sunshine, and countless other pieces of excellent, if troll-esque, content. I love Dan and Giant Bomb would be less Giant Bomb without him.

I'd have probably dropped Giant Bomb entirely by now if it weren't for Dan

it wasn't single-handed, but he was a big part of what saved the site after Ryan's passing

If you got to be on UPF, what game would you bring in?

I would bring in Garry's Mod and play on an RP server

I've had quite the experiences with that game

fun for the audience: Illbleed

fun for me: Skate 2 party play

fun for both: Saturn Bomberman

in actuality I'd probably bring in Ghostlop because I want people to know about that game

Yea, Dan is the content king and an invaluable asset to Giant Bomb so he can have all the shitty opinions he wants. Well, unless he veered into racist, sexist shit but I'm quite confident he isn't a milkshake duck.

ev0

Dan loves Zelda.
Dan loves Mario.
Dan owns a Switch.

Is Nintendo responsible for the increase in popularity of Giant Bomb?

Yea, Dan is the content king and an invaluable asset to Giant Bomb so he can have all the shitty opinions he wants. Well, unless he veered into racist, sexist shit but I'm quite confident he isn't a milkshake duck.

Even if he had a shitty opinion of that type, those areas are among the few places where he's demonstrated a desire to learn from others and figure out where he got things wrong.

LiK

Even if he had a shitty opinion of that type, those areas are among the few places where he's demonstrated a desire to learn from others and figure out where he got things wrong.

Or completely ignore the suggestions and keep thinking he's right (which happens occasionally)

I don't think Dan is entirely at fault for this D&D conversation. He's very open about not getting it and they just didn't do a good job of explaining it.

god damn it, look, let me break it down

a milkshake duck is when an overnight viral sensation is quickly found to be a shitbag

someone like Dan cannot be one because he's been a known quantity (viral or otherwise) for too long

there's no defined statute of limitations on this but if we don't practice at least some decorum we're going to end up with people going "well I guess Bill Cosby was a regular ol' milkshake duck" and we cannot let that happen

Rainmaker

Banned
dan never really gets on my nerves but I guess I can see how he can if you're a real serious person but what do I know I enjoy a lot of GB West stuff too

I think something I really appreciate about Dan is his earnest and curious nature. He'll ask things straight, even if they sound dumb, and y'know for all the hoity toity reactions from his co-workers and audience for some of them, I think they're valuable things to voice.

is it the time of the thread where we complain about dan

Dan is cool
Dan has brought alotta value to GB
Without Dan, I would never have joined GB nor gotten into them
Dan brings people out of their shells(Drew!)
Dan is just a cool guy.

Confession time: I bought shadow of mordor back in 2014 when it came out but never played it for years...

I tried it a few months ago and managed about 15 minutes as I found it too hard. I think I got through the tutorial mission (with several deaths) and out into the open world. I immediately went the wrong way, didn't understand the climbing, and turned it off.

It's the only game I've ever started, and then stopped that quickly.

I think something I really appreciate about Dan is his earnest and curious nature. He'll ask things straight, even if they sound dumb, and y'know for all the hoity toity reactions from his co-workers and audience for some of them, I think they're valuable things to voice.

Really, at least he's asking questions instead of sharing the limited knowledge he has on a subject and talking like he's got PhD on the subject.

Applebite

It was really refreshing to hear Alex' thoughts on Middle Earth on the Beastcast, it put some feelings I've had about open world games into words quite clearly. Particularly when he described solid mechanics as being the "only motor propelling you forward" and just the feeling of "I've done this before already". I could not at all identify with what Dan or Abby felt about the mechanics being fun enough. I don't know, I think I'm just done with huge open world games.

BTA

is it the time of the thread where we complain about dan

Dan is cool
Dan has brought alotta value to GB
Without Dan, I would never have joined GB nor gotten into them
Dan brings people out of their shells(Drew!)
Dan is just a cool guy.

Breezy have you secretly been Jason this whole time

tnCSHO2_d.jpg

make it happen, Brad

Bacon

Milkshake Duck is a term that just got coined like 2 months ago and it's already been overused to the point where I'm sick of it.

That Mario Edge review thread is just 56 pages of people fighting. I just wanna read the review

I read it. Nothing really more than what was already said in the thread. It was all mostly teases at stuff. You can do a free trial of the mag if you download the EDGE app.

daveo42

Banned
Amusingly, East was fine without Dan, but West just can't do without him.

The Alex/Vinny only stuff was kind of thin until they got more people at East. I think they both put in a ton of work to make quality content tho. West maybe used Dan as a crutch to prop things up after Ryan left and they haven't fully gotten past that.

West does great content for sure, but you can feel the shift with staffing changes a bit more.

I do think anime is pretty cool..

You have one minute to describe you love for God Eater. Go.

Applebite

The discussion about loot boxes I also thought was pretty good this Beastcast. That's usually something I go to GBWest for because Gerstmann is often so well-balanced in these conversations, but I actually thought Vinny brought a lot of valid concerns to the table.

Although, they described Overwatch as being the kickoff for this stuff, whereas I would maybe point to mobile games or CS:GO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom