• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Realistically I expect Beast in the East season 2 to be a 2018 show, so don't worry I'm sure they'll play a couple of other garbage, probably shorter garbage games, before they even consider going back to Kiwami.

(Shenmue 2)

BitE bringing you down huh.

I'd still love to see Shenmue II as their next game. Its not too long and it would be nice to get a continuation from that endurance run. I've also only played a couple of hours of it myself so rather than digging my Dreamcast out it would be nice to watch Vinny slog through it instead.

I really hope Alex plays it this time. Seems like he has been more invested in the game than Dan ever was, even from the start of the series. I'm still a few episodes behind, but hearing Dan's dislike for the combat during gameplay kind of takes away from some of the really interesting fights and sections of the game.

This is how I feel too.

Alex, please play Kiwami. I also want Vinny to play one of the games eventually.

Yes because we all know Dan is the bastion of good taste LOLOLOLOLOL.

Next time maybe let someone else play the game such as Alex.

V2W23Q8.png

MURDER

More murder island is good, they need to get that chicken dinner.

killroy87

Yeah I never minded Zelda that much. There is more to talk about there than Destiny, PUBG, or DotA.

There's more to talk about in any game than PUBG, lol. I fully get why it's fun, but it's the same conversation every week, just them talking about how great it is and regurgitating the same reasons why. Other games actually have different qualities to them that can start a conversation.

Nerokis

I really hope Alex plays it this time. Seems like he has been more invested in the game than Dan ever was, even from the start of the series. I'm still a few episodes behind, but hearing Dan's dislike for the combat during gameplay kind of takes away from some of the really interesting fights and sections of the game.

For sure.

To this day, it annoys me thinking about Dan's early habit of going through the dialogue as quickly as possible. Didn't help that Alex told him to slow down multiple times, but for whatever reason, he had a ridiculously hard time listening.

Also, Dan turning out not to be a fan of the combat is pure karma. Correct me if I'm wrong, but during the early episodes it didn't sound like Dan controlling the game was set in stone, and I remember Alex offering to play a few times. He claimed the playthrough for himself, and had to suffer through it once it stopped being fun for him.

These recent conversations about Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 made me realize something... Why are all Japanese games so long? Just this year we have Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, and Zelda. Last year FF15. I wonder if it's the Japanese mentality to explain everything over and over and over and over, which naturally inflates the game's length. Nothing is ever succinct or subtle in Japanese games. Maybe there's something lost in translation? Maybe Japan's affinity to dialogue-heavy stuff like RPGs and visual novels?

And I'm not saying Western games are immune to this issue, but at least there's more of an indie scene that can give us stuff like Abzu, Furi, or Inside.

Wunder

why has dan just stopped using slugger? The three heat combo into nunchuck hits is easily one of the best and easiest moves for boss fights

Antiwhippy

These recent conversations about Persona 5 and Yakuza 0 made me realize something... Why are all Japanese games so long? Just this year we have Yakuza, Nioh, Nier, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, and Zelda. Last year FF15. I wonder if it's the Japanese mentality to explain everything over and over and over and over, which naturally inflates the game's length. Nothing is ever succinct or subtle in Japanese games. Maybe there's something lost in translation? Maybe Japan's affinity to dialogue-heavy stuff like RPGs and visual novels?

And I'm not saying Western games are immune to this issue, but at least there's more of an indie scene that can give us stuff like Abzu, Furi, or Inside.

I mean they're all RPGs.

And it's not like western RPGs are all that short.

Botw barely has a story to explain.

Nier isn't that long. At least it's the shortest of the ones you listed. If I ignored all side content and use fast travel judiciously I can see myself finishing it well under 20 hours.

LiK

Japanese RPGs happened to get the most attention this year. Can't blame the devs for trying to create a big epic journey. Some people like their length because they got invested in the stories and characters.

Phatmac

Persons 5 and Yakuza are advertised as RPG's so they have to have a long story. Nioh and Zelda don't have much of a story so that doesn't count. Japan has indies, but they usually aren't localized since they're niche. Also, I bet the atmosphere for indie games isn't the same like in the USA. It's probably harder to get a publisher for Japanese indie games.

xuchu

I mean they're all RPGs.

Nier isn't that long. At least it's the shortest of the ones you listed.

Brad won't play any of those game but will play Mass:Effect Andromeda. Possibly even go for the platinum :S

Forgot Zelda though, we need another Bradth of the Wild

Antiwhippy

I mean everybody loves witcher 3 and that game will take your whole life to play apparently.

Even the bigger western releases this year aren't that short. Horizon, prey, etc. etc.

daveo42

Banned
We get mostly RPGs from Japan, or at least the ones that seem popularity in the West and they tend to be much longer than standard action games or platformers. The recent glut of longer games could be that the market is moving more towards hybridized games with more systems and an open world, or it could be that we are mid-gen. Probably both.

I mean they're all RPGs.

Nier isn't that long. At least it's the shortest of the ones you listed.

How long did it take you to beat Nier? Or I guess maybe Gravity Rush 2? I wrapped everything up in GR2 in 55hrs and I'm already sitting near 35hr on Nier.

Antiwhippy

How long did it take you to beat Nier? Or I guess maybe Gravity Rush 2? I wrapped everything up in GR2 in 55hrs and I'm already sitting near 35hr on Nier.

Wait, really?

I was finished with Nier by then lol.

I'm still kinda prodding my way through GR2. I'll finish it sooner or later.

Gurrry

Went to play some Dota after that video went up. I had been away from it since that huge update about a year ago.

Yeah, I dont miss it. Ill stick with League. I felt like I was underwater the entire game. Everything was so slow compared to LoL.

Also - its a damn shame they still havent done a firepro quick look.

daveo42

Banned
Wait, really?

I was finished with Nier by then lol.

I'm still kinda prodding my way through GR2. I'll finish it sooner or later.

Did you skip some of the side content or am I just bad at maximizing my time?

Edit: My play times are usually on the higher end of the spectrum.

Gravity Rush 2 is that long? I thought those were supposed to be short games.

GR is like a 20h if you get everything. GR2 is a much larger game with extra side stuff to do. I did add in my dlc time (which is like 90m) and I also got the plat there which required grinding out gems.

TraBuch

Banned
Dan really rubbed me the wrong way in that Yakuza series. He's the dude that laughs while forcing someone else to struggle with something and then whines nonstop when he does something he's not enjoying.

Antiwhippy

Did you skip some of the side content or am I just bad at maximizing my time?

Edit: My play times are usually on the higher end of the spectrum.

I did about 60% of the side content from my estimations.

I also finished persona 5 in 80 hours and apparently that's unthinkably fast.

Wunder

I mean everybody loves witcher 3 and that game will take your whole life to play apparently.

Even the bigger western releases this year aren't that short. Horizon, prey, etc. etc.

its so god damn long. I hit skellige and tried to mainline the story and it still took me another 20 hours or something

daveo42

Banned
I did about 60% of the side content of estimate.

I also finished persona 5 in 80 hours and apparently that's unthinkably fast.

Ah...yeah I'm sitting near 75% of side content done, including one that basically has you wandering around a desert for items. I really wish
the transport function was available at the start of route b because getting from place to place becomes such a chore.

Antiwhippy

its so god damn long. I hit skellige and tried to mainline the story and it still took me another 20 hours or something

Didn't dan drop it at skellige and everybody told him he was near the end of the game?

Ah...yeah I'm sitting near 75% of side content done, including one that basically has you wandering around a desert for items. I really wish
the transport function was available at the start of route b because getting from place to place becomes such a chore.

I rushed to get fast travel in b as soon as i can. :p

patapuf

I finished all main endings and about 70% of the sidequests in Nier in 31 Hours.

25-30 Hours is pretty much my ideal length for RPG's.

Witcher 3 takes forever. I loved most of it but that's a long ass RPG.

Wunder

Didn't dan drop it at skellige and everybody told him he was near the end of the game?

I rushed to get fast travel in b as soon as i can. :p

dunno, its the last major area, and the story definitely starts to wrap up but it's still kind of the end of the 2nd arc. I skipped a fuckload of side quests because I was so done by that point

Yeah I definitely get what you guys are saying, but maybe I need to ask a more fundamental question about those types of games... Why does it have to be that way? Why do they have to be so long? Does Persona 5 benefit from being 100 hours? Does the Witcher 3?

I recall a conversation that Brad brought up when he finally got to Chapter 13 in FF13, where he asked why the game couldn't have just started there, and been 20 hours long. Just cut the first 30 hours.

It just seems like you wouldn't lose anything in a majority of these 50+ hour RPGs if you slice off 50% or more of the filler. Is it an expectations thing where you don't feel like you got your moneys worth if it's not 50 hours plus?

derFeef

I mean, define superheroes, you can find a lot actually. Fighting games, Crackdown, Saints Row (MYO cahracter), and probably a lot more I can't remember right now ;)

Antiwhippy

I want to say Overwatch but most of the dark skin characters are villains in the story. Even the evil white chick got her skin darkened when she turned evil.

Which is kind of a fucking weird thing.

Lucio i guess.

I want to say Overwatch but most of the dark skin characters are villains in the story. Even the evil white chick got her skin darkened when she turned evil.

Which is kind of a fucking weird thing.

Lucio i guess.

You mean widowmaker? Bruh shes purple.

Also the majority of dark skinned characters are good guys. Pharah, Ana, Symettra, Lucio.

Antiwhippy

You mean widowmaker? Bruh shes purple.

Also the majority of dark skinned characters are good guys. Pharah, Ana, Symettra, Lucio.

Mm, i guess so. I don't know what constitutes as black for Americans though. Because i would consider Symmetra as asian and pharah/ana as middle eastern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom