• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread #4: A thread of perceived slights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took these from the GTA video. All glory to GifCam.
iFnzYSomBD23b.gif
iJdKfJ0QR1R6l.gif

justjim89

I don't actually own either of them. I was just going to buy it on Amazon and ship it to them. On one hand, Big Apple Take Down sounds like pure garbage through and through that's hopefully dumb enough to be hilarious. On the other hand, the Kane book has potential to have moments of unlikely brilliance. I mean, WWE paid a man to write a fake biography of Kane. That's god damn amazing.

Also weird to hear Jeff saying the Vita version of Street Fighter X Tekken isn't very good.....It's just not true? It's easily the most accurate to the console version fighter on the vita and plays great, vita has six buttons :/ First time I've heard anyone talk negatively about it at all. Would also think as people who deal with games they'd be able to remember upcoming games like Tearaway and Batman but it doesn't really matter I suppose, calling things out on the spot can be difficult.

It was just as baffling to see Jeff swipe across pages and pages of game bubbles (with Gravity Rush, P4G, Soul Sacrifice, Guacamelee, etc.) and then still have everyone in the office proclaim once again that the Vita doesn't have any good games.

I have to say I was really bummed out by this part of UF. When I saw the Soul Sacrifice quick look and heard this week's Bombcast, it seemed that Jeff finally overcame the negativity that Giantbomb had towards the Vita for the last couple of months. And you could also immediately see that this had an effect on Ryan, since he suddenly came forward saying that there are some interesting games coming out soon, which is exactly what Jeff said on the Bombcast. But then what do they do in the Vita segment? They show a few seconds of a stupid 2011 E3 demo for Ridge Racer and a laggy online match in SFxT. :(
(EDIT: Ok, they did show Frobisher Says quite enthusiastically.)

I guess I just don't understand why gamers (and people in the gaming press which are opinion makers) love to hate on a system that's trying to justify itself, especially if the hardware is so promising. The same thing happened to the 3DS. So many people hated on it and asked what this thing was even good for these days, and then a few months later Mario and Fire Emblem showed everyone that non-smartphone portable gaming is still awesome (surprise, surprise). Now instead of embracing the Vita, which has arguably an even more promising hardware than the 3DS, so that even cooler versions of such games can come out, many people in the gaming press are still hating on it. I really don't get it.

Now instead of embracing the Vita, which has arguably an even more promising hardware than the 3DS, so that even cooler versions of such games can come out, many people in the gaming press are still hating on it. I really don't get it.
Probably because the Vita is still very much in the "promising" stages and the 3DS library is basically done with its growing pains. That's not to say there aren't a few things worth buying on the Vita, but the difference between them is quite significant.

Probably because the Vita is still very much in the "promising" stages and the 3DS library is basically done with its growing pains. That's not to say there aren't a few things worth buying on the Vita, but the difference between them is quite significant.

You're right, but I still don't get why they wouldn't embrace that promise instead of being all snarky about it. I'd understand if the Vita was severely outdated or overpriced in terms of technology but it's not. It's probably the best handheld hardware ever made, and, except for maybe the memory card prices, Sony isn't really trying to rip of their customers. Why wouldn't they want it to be successful?

When the discussion was all about the 3DS's potential failure I got the impression that many people invested themselves into smart phone gaming and that this was the reason why they wanted to see traditional handhelds fail. However, the success of the 3DS has contradicted this point of view completely. So why do we see the same behavior for an even better handheld system?

In any case, this is probably straying to far from this threads purpose so I'll just take my opinion somewhere else. ;)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're right, but I still don't get why they wouldn't embrace that promise instead of being all snarky about it. I'd understand if the Vita was severely outdated or overpriced in terms of technology but it's not. It's probably the best handheld hardware ever made, and, except for maybe the memory card prices, Sony isn't really trying to rip of their customers. Why wouldn't they want it to be successful?

When the discussion was all about the 3DS's potential failure I got the impression that many people invested themselves into smart phone gaming and that this was the reason why they wanted to see traditional handhelds fail. However, the success of the 3DS has contradicted this point of view completely. So why do we see the same behavior for an even better handheld system?

In any case, this is probably straying to far from this threads purpose so I'll just take my opinion somewhere else. ;)

They do this all the time. Back when the 3DS is floundering too they had the same attitude. They've probably been around the block of new hardware a few times already that they'd much rather comment of actual success than some vague promise.

Like will smith said, don't buy hardware for what you might get in the future, buy hardware for what you can get now.

Also brad and Patrick are probably the only people in the office who cares at all about the handheld format. You can hear a lot of comments by the rest on how they'd much rather play on home consoles.

It has nothing to do with what they want and everything to do with their jobs. As people in a position that supposedly has a segment of their visitors' purchasing decisions, it is their responsibility to reflect their opinions on purchase value here and now. There is some wiggle room when there are a ton of things releasing that have hard release dates/very close to release, but don't you see the potential concerns and problems with hyping a product they don't fully support at the present? That's not to say their own personal biases and tastes are removed from the site, especially one so structured around them, but they can only allow that to go so far when it comes down to telling others "go for it," be cautious," or "avoid this at all costs," doubly for hardware with a price tag like the Vita's.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wait, did you edit your post? I swear it didn't say Vinny before. Or I'm just dumb and you're just forgetful.

oh weiiiiird.

I didn't edit my post, but the same way that your eyes just overlooked Vinny, mine did as well. I think it's cause the V isn't capitalized.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ha so I was just watching the Fortune Street TNT again.

At 1:23:20 of the first video, Vinny jokes "Maybe once all the venture cards go then it's game over"

Patrick responds "*pfft* yeah, two hours from now"

Little did he know...

What a god damned great moment! Hot damn!

Just watched that yesterday after missing it, so good.

Have they ever said anything about bringing achievement tracking back to the revamped site or was that something they purposely did away with? Always thought it was fun and added another element to user pages.

OMG Aero

Just watched that yesterday after missing it, so good.

Have they ever said anything about bringing achievement tracking back to the revamped site or was that something they purposely did away with? Always thought it was fun and added another element to user pages.
I think I recall Jeff saying that they would probably wait until the new consoles are out to see how they handle achievements before they decide to bring it back or not.

I think I recall Jeff saying that they would probably wait until the new consoles are out to see how they handle achievements before they decide to bring it back or not.

Bummer, I don't see how things are going to change much with how the new consoles handle achievements. Thanks though!

Is there any sort of schedule for Spookin? Wish it was a weekly thing, certainly should be with all the awesome art people create.

I don't think they should try to force it every week. In lieu of the Wednesday show they should make every Wednesday a rotating cycle of either Spookin with Scoops, Random PC Game, Flight Club, Load My Last Save, etc. I think each individual one of those shows would probably suffer if they had to find a game for them on a weekly basis, but if they just chose one of them to do every week and were consistent about it so there's always a new show on Wednesday it would work out pretty good.

Catching up on old Bombcast, how can Ryan join in the conversation of trash talking AC3 when he gave it a 4/5?

I realise he might have enjoyed it enough to merit that score but ever since the rest of the crew played it he hasn't talked good about it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Catching up on old Bombcast, how can Ryan join in the conversation of trash talking AC3 when he gave it a 4/5?

I realise he might have enjoyed it enough to merit that score but ever since the rest of the crew played it he hasn't talked good about it.

When people around you are talking ill of it, it's easier to pile on then spend the time trying to counter them.

If you read the review it seems to cover his opinion well, but I just think when discussion comes up he lets the negative overshadow the positive.

Dec

It has nothing to do with what they want and everything to do with their jobs. As people in a position that supposedly has a segment of their visitors' purchasing decisions, it is their responsibility to reflect their opinions on purchase value here and now. There is some wiggle room when there are a ton of things releasing that have hard release dates/very close to release, but don't you see the potential concerns and problems with hyping a product they don't fully support at the present? That's not to say their own personal biases and tastes are removed from the site, especially one so structured around them, but they can only allow that to go so far when it comes down to telling others "go for it," be cautious," or "avoid this at all costs," doubly for hardware with a price tag like the Vita's.

I completely disagree with Vita still only being promises. Giantbomb knows about as much about the Vita as they do... ANY mmo, or ANY moba, yet they still attempt to cover them and still do a bad job.

I love Giantbomb but reading this post after the reactions to things like the GW2 quicklook is pretty funny. They have such a huge obligation to fans to inform their purchases, but when they show a game terribly, at no fault to the game, it's fine because everyone just goes to Giantbomb for entertainment anyways.

GavinGT

Banned
The Vita Defense Force is crazy. Jeff just dropped $450 so that you guys would get Vita coverage, and to make up for Sony's negligence in that regard. Then they get complaints about doing goofy Vita stuff on a subscriber show which is intended to be goofy and informal? And you're complaining that they're giving us their honest opinions on the hardware and its library? They covered the one major release on the Vita and did a fine job with it. But it's not their jobs to reinforce your purchasing decisions.

This is all very reminiscent of people complaining about how Jeff neglected to mention that the Vita has a microphone.

I completely disagree with Vita still only being promises. Giantbomb knows about as much about the Vita as they do... ANY mmo, or ANY moba, yet they still attempt to cover them and still do a bad job.

I love Giantbomb but reading this post after the reactions to things like the GW2 quicklook is pretty funny. They have such a huge obligation to fans to inform their purchases, but when they show a game terribly, at no fault to the game, it's fine because everyone just goes to Giantbomb for entertainment anyways.
And they know it about as well as any of the other numerous games that pass over their desk that doesn't personally excite them. All of them have shown in the past that they are more than fully capable of seeking out and digesting a reasonable amount of information on the games that interest them.

I feel it would be more irresponsible and dishonest to feign enthusiasm for something they don't support and wouldn't tell a friend to go check out than to try to give an entirely balanced and equally positive coverage of everything that comes their way. It's the internet. There is a VAST number of people talking about everything all of thr time. If purchasing decisions rest solely on the opinions of one group of people for any given person, they had better be darned sure they have well aligned tastes.

go subscribe to consumer reports

solarus

I don't get it. What are these vita secrets that you seem to know and they don't, they are aware of all the big releases on the vita like soul sacrifice, heck there was a gravity rush review too and they realise many indie games are being ported. That's it. The lineup is still pitiful and not worth the entry price. I had both a 3ds and vita at launch, sold both eventually, but unlike the vita the 3ds pulled me back in because it's software has become very strong, the vita... Not so much (although i'll rebuy one when it's dirt cheap since i bought all my games digitally and i have ps plus).

The Vita Defense Force is crazy. Jeff just dropped $450 so that you guys would get Vita coverage, and to make up for Sony's negligence in that regard. Then they get complaints about doing goofy Vita stuff on a subscriber show which is intended to be goofy and informal? And you're complaining that they're giving us their honest opinions on the hardware and its library? They covered the one major release on the Vita and did a fine job with it. But it's not their jobs to reinforce your purchasing decisions.

This is all very reminiscent of people complaining about how Jeff neglected to mention that the Vita has a microphone.

Yeah the complaints are stupid. Its great that Jeff actually spent the money to get a Vita that can actually output. Plus as a vita owner I didn't know about Frobisher Says until the friday show so I'm pretty happy Jeff showed that. :)

I think it's hard to argue that Giant Bomb sometimes does a shoddy job of informing people about games, especially when the game in question is one they're not personally interested in. There are plenty of examples where they jump into a game blind, and then proceed to mark it down on issues that they would not have had if they understood the game better. At the very least, they should do the tutorial, read the manual, or simply play the game for a bit beforehand. I feel Patrick takes his job more seriously than the others in this regard.

It doesn't bother me much, because I primarily go to Giant Bomb for entertainment, but I still think it's a valid complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom