• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 09/06/16 - Episode 446

Timeless

My ranking of Zeldas:

OoT 3D
ALBW
ALttP
LA DX
WW
MC
FS Adventures
TP
FS Anniversary
Zelda
OoS
Link's Crossbow Training
OoA

I haven't played (enough of) the rest, except WW HD which thus far I find inferior to the GameCube one. The major changes that would matter I haven't encountered yet, but I have encountered the different graphical style. Ironically before I played WW HD I assumed that it would be a straight upgrade, but the original had so much charm.

I did at least two dungeons in each of TP, OoS, and OoA. I didn't do all the bonus levels in FS Anniversary, but other than that, I finished every game in my list. OoA is way at the bottom because I got stuck as a kid and to this day don't know what I was supposed to do.

It's frustrating to see yet another site dance around saying anything definitive. I realize that everyone but Dan was not taking it very seriously but this concerns the game they ranked
. Dan wants to cut more than half of the Zelda games from being eligible yet won't cut Ocarina N64 in favor of Ocarina 3D. OoT 3D looks better, runs better, and fixes the one major complaint people had about the original. It's a better video game. Jeff had the right idea saying that LA DX is what he's talking about when he says Link's Awakening. I did not get that same impression about OoT from the crew.

Giant Bomb ranking of Zeldas / Giant Bomb top 10 Zeldas (couldn't find this anywhere):
at 2:19:52
ALttP
Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Zelda
A Link Between Worlds
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Zelda 2
Majora's Mask
(Unofficial) Four Swords / Pac-Man Vs.

I should get into Wind Waker again. I got most of the
figurines
and went through it at least twice.

KarmaCow

Yep.....
LA is the best on the platform and one of the greatest games of all time. And it's got that 50th edition gold NP cover.

I tried replaying recently and it's pretty annoying. There is a fuckton of not only unskippable, slowly scrolling text but a lot of it is repeated and the limited buttons really hurt it. Whatever game is behind that wasn't worth it to me.

Timeless

I tried replaying recently and it's pretty annoying. There is a fuckton of not only unskippable, slowly scrolling text but a lot of it is repeated
I fully understand that this is going to sound like too much effort, but playing on an emulator, you can suppress that text.
and the limited buttons really hurt it. Whatever game is behind that wasn't worth it to me.
It could use a hack to tighten up all these things. And speed up the text. It's a shame because it comes right after ALttP (release date wise) and the gameplay, story, overworld are really good.

I can't get over that Zelda II over Majora's debate. These guys made me buy Zelda II and it's such a poorly designed game that it's staggering Nintendo let it out the door. There are so many situations where you're forced to take a hit. The enemies are way more capable than Link - this is just like Kid Icarus, where the hero is such a mismatch for the obstacles presented it feels like he's in the wrong game. Grinding out levels is practically the only way to get through unless you have a speedrunner-level knowledge of the game's frames and hitboxes.

I'm not even going to make a strenuous case for Majora's, but if ever a game was objectively flawed and poorly designed, Zelda II is it. Even Miyamoto disavows the game, and it's telling that they learned from their mistakes and abandoned most of the game's conventions for the rest of Zelda's 30 year history.

KarmaCow

I can't get over that Zelda II over Majora's debate. These guys made me buy Zelda II and it's such a poorly designed game that it's staggering Nintendo let it out the door. There are so many situations where you're forced to take a hit. The enemies are way more capable than Link - this is just like Kid Icarus, where the hero is such a mismatch for the obstacles presented it feels like he's in the wrong game. Grinding out levels is practically the only way to get through unless you have a speedrunner-level knowledge of the game's frames and hitboxes.

I'm not even going to make a strenuous case for Majora's, but if ever a game was objectively flawed and poorly designed, Zelda II is it. Even Miyamoto disavows the game, and it's telling that they learned from their mistakes and abandoned most of the game's conventions for the rest of Zelda's 30 year history.

It wasn't a serious list, it was probably more that MM loses because the low effort trolling than Zelda II being good. Dan even calls out them out when they talk up how they love Zelda games that try new things and I don't think Brad has even played MM.

It wasn't a serious list, it was probably more that MM loses because the low effort trolling than Zelda II being good. Dan even calls out them out when they talk up how they love Zelda games that try new things and I don't think Brad has even played MM.

I think it was serious enough, those were clearly their opinions in the moment, and most of it seemed on point. If they just wanted to troll Dan well...that's what they use the whole rest of the Bombcast for. It was serious enough that I've listened to them for years, heard that discussion and thought "Zelda II, huh? Alright, let's spend the last $5 I've on got the eShop on it."

I don't mean to make it sound like Zelda II does nothing right, I'll probably try and grind/save scum my way to the end. But it was more novel in its time for the large, well animated sprite of the main character and the integration of Ultima/Dragon Quest style elements into an action rpg, which was itself still a nascent genre.

Yet even using those criteria, Majora's Mask was stylistically striking and offered a number of innovations in its own time - the day/night cycle, the complex routines of the townsfolk, etc. I'm not one of those who believes it's top 5, but surely it deserves a spot above Zelda II.

Top Bottom