• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigantic Open Beta Thread: It's not really a MOBA

No versus a.i matches at the moment correct?

Not yet, it seems. Luckily, there is a practice arena so that you can practice heroes, but I'd definitely appreciate a way to play against the AI so I can play on all the maps and experience the traversal methods of each map.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Just tried this and had my first match. It was really enjoyable. :O I might just get this game.

Figments

Xenobia is great I had 17 kills, 12 assists, and only 3 deaths and we won

I used to main Xenobia in the Closed Beta (back when /that/ was 24/7) and by God she was difficult to play. It took me a good 8 matches before I was even remotely comfortable playing her.

But that's probably because I can't play those kinds of playstyles. I prefer assassin types. Tripp is now my go-to gal.

docbon

Has anyone spotted an Imani out in the wild yet? I think I've seen every character except for her so far during my matches.

Figments

Note to all those who want to join the GiganticGAF club on Xbox, search for the club using "GiganticGAF" as the search term and request an invitation.

Yeah, but you can just spend 40 dollars and unlock all the current heroes, plus the four coming later in the beta. If you really enjoy the game, I would just do that because grinding these hero unlocks will take quite a bit of time.

I'll join the club, but I also suggest getting a discord channel set up as well.

Sure. If anyone wants to make a Discord channel, go for it. Just give me the invite code and I'll put it in the OP.

Has anyone spotted an Imani out in the wild yet? I think I've seen every character except for her so far during my matches.

A couple times. She's one of the more difficult characters to use, IMO, so it kind of makes sense to me. The times I've seen her played were the times when she was basically top of the leaderboard across the match.

Krelian

This game is so much fun. For a free game there's not many people discussing it here, though. But it's probably more niche than CoD etc.
Can't remember seeing her on the other side but I've played her twice and she's fun. First time was rough, second time was great.

Figments

This game is so much fun. For a free game there's not many people discussing it here, though. But it's probably more niche than CoD etc.

The problem is kind of two-fold, really.

1) Motiga doesn't really advertise their game much.

2) Many people don't like the Windows Store.

That the OB is only available on Windows 10 and Xbox One is kind of a sore point. I mean, I'm fine with it, I haven't had any issues with it, but many have and it's getting in their way of playing the game.

Hopefully the situation improves, but for now, it is what it is.

I just hope more people give it a chance, despite the point of sale.

Ah, this game continues to be fun. I had a recent game where I had an early leaver, making the match a 4v5. Me and my remaining teammates managed to perform so well that the enemy team just kind of gave up by the end.

If any of you folks are interested in seeing it, I managed to record it. It may also show off the game for those of you who still don't quite know what to expect from it.

That the OB is only available on Windows 10 and Xbox One is kind of a sore point. I mean, I'm fine with it, I haven't had any issues with it, but many have and it's getting in their way of playing the game.

They won't. With respect, Windows Store only is a non-starter on the PC space and I forsee no future where that changes. This game dies a quick death on PC if it doesn't get proper support for the platform in its variety of storefronts (Steam, GoG, GMG, etc.). Would be a shame because the game is fun.

Did have one bad experience, though. A game that almost never ended because neither team seemed to be interested in shooting the Guardian or whatever when it was down. I thought that was pretty obnoxious. Was like a 35 minute match. The game does NOT lend itself well to more than 20 minute matches.

_Clash_

Pleased this has made it so far.

Could be wrong but thought it looked hairy there for a while. Pumped that it's getting good impressions.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Went into this with no expectations at all and am really enjoying it :) Are they resetting any of the characters etc you unlock on official release or is this it from now on, we're good to go ?

Also one of the few multiplayer games where I'm playing on PC with a controller and don't feel hobbled lol.

EDIT - Ah never mind, read the official FAQ, good to go from now on progress wise :)

Krelian

Did have one bad experience, though. A game that almost never ended because neither team seemed to be interested in shooting the Guardian or whatever when it was down. I thought that was pretty obnoxious. Was like a 35 minute match. The game does NOT lend itself well to more than 20 minute matches.
We had one game like that yesterday. It was on Sanctum Falls and neither team seemed to push enough to damage the enemy guardian. I think there needs to be a timeout or something for games like those, even if they're few. After I while I just wished it would end already.

Rocketz

Yeah I've had this but I've thrown it into the fact that new people to the game just don't really know what they are doing yet. I'm assuming it will improve over time or at least I hope.

That's what the clash is for, I guess. Although I have never had a game that had people not pushing/fighting. Sounds weird and lame.

Eridani

Another issue is that the game requires a much better PC to run than any other popular f2p PC game. I can run Overwatch, Dota, Paladins etc. at 60 fps easily, but Gigantic won't even start on my PC. The 6GB ram requirement immediately cuts off around 40% of all Steam users (according to the hardware survey). Considering f2p games are incredibly popular among people with shitty PCs this is a pretty big deal that severely limits the playerbase.

Mr Croft

I have been playing this game since like the first closed alpha last year. The more and more I play the less and less I enjoy the game now. I really can't pinpoint the issue but some of it has to do with character balancing for sure. And that price for the founders pack is kinda high in my book.

Back to the character balancing... The nerf to grilsma hands/lightning build was definitely justified. But the buff to Tripp was completely unneeded she is way to powerful at this point.

I'm having some performance trouble with this game on my new pc. I've got the following setup:
Gtx 1070
I5 6600k
16 gb ram

I have updated my drivers and it looks like I'm barely getting 30fps. I have no trouble getting 60fps running in any other games I have. Anyone have any experience of this?

Figments

They won't. With respect, Windows Store only is a non-starter on the PC space and I forsee no future where that changes. This game dies a quick death on PC if it doesn't get proper support for the platform in its variety of storefronts (Steam, GoG, GMG, etc.). Would be a shame because the game is fun.

*shrugs*

Maybe Motiga will be allowed to package the UWP and sell it on platforms other than the Windows Store, considering that's one of the things Microsoft has said developers are able to do. Then the issue becomes whether or not Steam and other storefronts are capable of hosting the sale of UWP games.

We shall see.

Yeah I've had this but I've thrown it into the fact that new people to the game just don't really know what they are doing yet. I'm assuming it will improve over time or at least I hope.

And if it doesn't improve, then I hope Motiga introduces a competitive queue so I can play with people who know how to play and leave the casual queue to people who like getting pissed off. :D

Another issue is that the game requires a much better PC to run than any other popular f2p PC game. I can run Overwatch, Dota, Paladins etc. at 60 fps easily, but Gigantic won't even start on my PC. The 6GB ram requirement immediately cuts off around 40% of all Steam users (according to the hardware survey). Considering f2p games are incredibly popular among people with shitty PCs this is a pretty big deal that severely limits the playerbase.

Yeah. It sucks that the game is so unoptimized for lower-spec PCs right now. Like, the RAM requirement is the only thing. GPU-wise, this game isn't very demanding (just look at the minspec). If they manage to lower the RAM requirement in the next few weeks, it'll be much better for everyone.

I have been playing this game since like the first closed alpha last year. The more and more I play the less and less I enjoy the game now. I really can't pinpoint the issue but some of it has to do with character balancing for sure. And that price for the founders pack is kinda high in my book.

Back to the character balancing... The nerf to grilsma hands/lightning build was definitely justified. But the buff to Tripp was completely unneeded she is way to powerful at this point.

Sounds like it could be simply that you're not enjoying the current character balance more than anything. I agree, somewhat, though I'm still having fun.

I feel like they need to look at Tripp, Tyto, Uncle Sven, and Mozu for potential nerfs. Not too sure about the other characters.

I'm having some performance trouble with this game on my new pc. I've got the following setup:
Gtx 1070
I5 6600k
16 gb ram

I have updated my drivers and it looks like I'm barely getting 30fps. I have no trouble getting 60fps running in any other games I have. Anyone have any experience of this?

Try turning off vsync in the settings. Apparently, it turns off the 30FPS lock that the game has.

It didn't used to require 6GB, but Motiga moved that requirement due to having some issues with users loading matches. I believe they've stated the intention is to reduce it to 4 again at some point in the future, hopefully they can accomplish that.

-------

I got 29 assists with Voden in a match this morning. so good

Windows store over here not letting me download the game because I haven't installed my latest windows updates... really need those security essentials updates to run the game I'm sure.

*shrugs*

I feel like they need to look at Tripp, Tyto, Uncle Sven, and Mozu for potential nerfs. Not too sure about the other characters.

Just went 4-11 (after a 13-7 game) as Tyto ;D

I think with high mobility, high escape characters like them, and Voden, teamplay is the key to nailing them. One on one they're evil.

Figments

Windows store over here not letting me download the game because I haven't installed my latest windows updates... really need those security essentials updates to run the game I'm sure.

I mean, what else do you expect when the store is intrinsically tied to the OS?

Just went 4-11 (after a 13-7 game) as Tyto ;D

I think with high mobility, high escape characters like them, and Voden, teamplay is the key to nailing them. One on one they're evil.

I still think Tyto is a bit too powerful. :p

Tripp even more so, even if she is my main.

Figments

We had one game like that yesterday. It was on Sanctum Falls and neither team seemed to push enough to damage the enemy guardian. I think there needs to be a timeout or something for games like those, even if they're few. After I while I just wished it would end already.

I think they simply need to make Clash more game-changing than it is. It's supposed to represent a shift in the criteria for victory, not simply a more fast-paced version of the early game.

It used to be that way, but they changed it repeatedly. It's one of the few changes I dislike, to be honest.

Head.spawn

This game has come a long way since the last time I played it.

Currently playing with my brother who is on Xbox, I'm playing from my PC. Very nice so far.

Is this the first game to support downsampling on Win Store? I know Gears 4 has that scaler thing, but this title actually allows you to select a higher resolution.

Theorry

Great to see so many good impressions. Lot of my friends like it also. Even when they didnt really followed the game or play these kind of games alot.

Great to see so many good impressions. Lot of my friends like it also. Even when they didnt really followed the game or play these kind of games alot.

One thing it shares with Overwatch is a much more direct, obvious style of gameplay than a deeper MOBA. Sure, it's more complex than Overwatch and the like, sharing more DNA with something like Battleborn, in fact, but it's immediate and good to run, jump, slash and shoot.

So glad to see it finally is in open beta haha. Took a while, but i can see that it has been worth it. Game changed for the better

NavNucST3

The tutorial and videos still do nothing for me in terms of really teaching me what I'm supposed to be doing but atleast there are the videos now; practice mode also seems subpar.

As others have mentioned, that founders pack is slightly obscene for how little you get, the SMITE pack was orders better. I really think they need to adjust price, add additional items, or both.

I like the game and I have a feeling I'd probably love it if I understood better what was taking place and what I was supposed to be doing. My son also enjoys the game so I'm sure we'll continue to play, maybe.

The tutorial and videos still do nothing for me in terms of really teaching me what I'm supposed to be doing but atleast there are the videos now; practice mode also seems subpar.

As others have mentioned, that founders pack is slightly obscene for how little you get, the SMITE pack was orders better. I really think they need to adjust price, add additional items, or both.

I like the game and I have a feeling I'd probably love it if I understood better what was taking place and what I was supposed to be doing. My son also enjoys the game so I'm sure we'll continue to play, maybe.

Kill stuff, get power, kill guardian.
Defend stuff, get power, protect guardian.

All at the same time.

:)

I mean the tutorial teach you everything you need to know. Kill enemy heroes and creatures to get the owl (or dragon) to briefly hold the enemy dragon (or owl) down. When it's pinned, you're suppose to run to it and shoot the glowing gem on its head until it's wounded. The other team is supposed to defend their giant animal thing like a soccer goalie or like the Secret Service, taking shots for their owl/dragon and trying to kill the attackers before the animal becomes "wounded".

If you fail to wound the beast (or if you succeed) everything resets and you have to kill enemy heroes and creatures until you get a chance to wound the owl/dragon again. Wound the enemy owl/dragon 3 times to win.

In between that action, you get 10 opportunities to upgrade your various skills to do more damage, add effects or whatever to help you kill the enemy.

Kill enemies --> Try to Wound Owl/Dragon when the opportunity arrises --> Repeat until Owl/Dragon is wounded 3 times.

Theorry

One thing it shares with Overwatch is a much more direct, obvious style of gameplay than a deeper MOBA. Sure, it's more complex than Overwatch and the like, sharing more DNA with something like Battleborn, in fact, but it's immediate and good to run, jump, slash and shoot.

Yeah it sits in the middle of it.

This game is so fun, my buddies and I all played at my house yesterday - 2 on Xbox and 3 on PC. Probably has replaced Heroes for me, at least for a while.

I tried playing the windows store version of this game, and everytime I sat in 5 minute+ matchmaking queues and gave up. Tried 5-6 times this weekend and never actually got into a game. Is no one playing the windows store version, or does the windows store not like my PC for some reason?

That may be something on your end? All of us playing on PC had no issues finding matches, it would only occasionally not load someone into the match, which was solved by immediately alt+f4'ing and joining the game from the xbox app.

mnannola

I tried playing the windows store version of this game, and everytime I sat in 5 minute+ matchmaking queues and gave up. Tried 5-6 times this weekend and never actually got into a game. Is no one playing the windows store version, or does the windows store not like my PC for some reason?

Theorry

Not sure. Didnt had any issues at all. Was arround 2 min for me the whole time.
Remember its crossplay also. So you dont play only against pc players. :)

Usually they only require updates when there's platform updates that the game uses.

What update it's asking for you to install?

Top Bottom