• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigantic Open Beta Thread: It's not really a MOBA

New content on a weekly basis is very ambitious. My guess would be skin one week, weapon skin other week, batch of fortune cards another week and then the last week a creature. Rince and repeat. At least i assume they won't release all of that each week haha

Figments

New content on a weekly basis is very ambitious. My guess would be skin one week, weapon skin other week, batch of fortune cards another week and then the last week a creature. Rince and repeat. At least i assume they won't release all of that each week haha

That's probably what it is, yeah. Though I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility. Paladins has a pretty small team, from what I've heard, and they pump out new updates like there's no tomorrow.

deoee

Do you guys have some cool gifs or vids to share?
AU7Amsc.gif

Gilby

Have the devs said anything about bringing this to other windows OS's? I'm sticking with 7 for the time being, and I'd like to try it. (I know the chances are slim-to-none, but thought I'd ask.)

Have the devs said anything about bringing this to other windows OS's? I'm sticking with 7 for the time being, and I'd like to try it. (I know the chances are slim-to-none, but thought I'd ask.)
There is actually another client, which is available for Windows 7 and up. The Arc client, which currently isnt in open beta since it was added a lot later in development. However atm there is no cross play between the arc client and win store client

deoee

This whole seperation sucks...

A friend of mine will never ever download an UWP game.
Here's hoping someday we can play together ;_;

Is the Arc game on the same version as the UWP version?
We know it will be available on Arc at some point, but right now the focus is on the Xbox/Win 10 client.
This whole seperation sucks...

A friend of mine will never ever download an UWP game.
Here's hoping someday we can play together ;_;

You should tell your friend to just click 'install', it's not that hard :p

Gilby

There is actually another client, which is available for Windows 7 and up. The Arc client, which currently isnt in open beta since it was added a lot later in development. However atm there is no cross play between the arc client and win store client

Wow! I'll have to give it a go as soon as that opens!

Dreavus

I haven't played the game yet but I'm still confused about the two versions. Will they use different accounts? Would any of your progress from the windows store/Xbox be there if you booted up the arc version when that's out? I know it's the same game but does gigantic use it's own accounts ( just for its own game) or does it use your gamer tag?

Figments

I haven't played the game yet but I'm still confused about the two versions. Will they use different accounts? Would any of your progress from the windows store/Xbox be there if you booted up the arc version when that's out? I know it's the same game but does gigantic use it's own accounts ( just for its own game) or does it use your gamer tag?

The Windows 10 UWP and Xbox One versions both use Xbox Live as a backend--there is no dedicated Gigantic account.

The Arc version using an Arc account.

We don't know if there will be any ability to transfer progress between accounts yet. It's too early into the open beta, and the Arc version is (looking to be) a year out.

Started playing this yesterday and am absolutely in love with it. Xenophobia main here, trying to grind fast just to buy her before free roation takes her away from me.

I just wish I got to play the ruins map more often, sick and tired of the dessert canyon one. =P

Figments

Started playing this yesterday and am absolutely in love with it. Xenophobia main here, trying to grind fast just to buy her before free roation takes her away from me.

I just wish I got to play the ruins map more often, sick and tired of the dessert canyon one. =P

Yeah, I agree. Out of all my games so far, I've only played on Ghost Reef(Canyon) and not the other two. I hope that changes during my next play session.

How much have you played? I think you only queue for ghost reef until you're level 5.

Yeah, the matchmaking seems to prefer Ghost Reef until around levels 5-8?

Ghost Reef is definitely the simplest. At level 12 I get a good mix, although sometimes go on a streak of the same map.

More maps would be really welcome, just for the visual variety. They're so nice looking. Sanctum Falls - gimme an RPG in that world.

Ghost reef is basically the tutorial map. iirc they said when they were starting with rotating maps that they give high priority to Ghost Reef to new players. Presumably that means low level or first x games. Idk the exact details anymore

This game's servers need more stability. My team just got kicked. Only 3 of us bothered to rejoin, so I got to hang out and enjoy 5 more minutes of getting pounded. Talk about fun. This is only the bajillionth time this has happened.

Yeah, i've played this game in some form of development for nearly a year now, maybe a little more. The current build is probably my least favorite yet. Seems like there is far more MM issues - tried to queue up on PC, sat there for 5 minutes or more waiting for it to match me up, got nothing. Overly long MM times has happened a few times now. Few matches I have played just wound up being okay, but boring. I'll probably be dropping this game entirely from my roster of 'games i'm interested in' unless something changes.

Also, only seeing maybe 1 new champion since the closed alpha/beta is a bit discouraging, mostly cause outside of one or two of the designs, none of them are really connecting with me, either visually or in terms of gameplay design. Having to play this via UWP is also a bummer - I try to keep my interactions with the Windows Store to an absolute minimum.

Figments

Yeah, i've played this game in some form of development for nearly a year now, maybe a little more. The current build is probably my least favorite yet. Seems like there is far more MM issues - tried to queue up on PC, sat there for 5 minutes or more waiting for it to match me up, got nothing. Overly long MM times has happened a few times now. Few matches I have played just wound up being okay, but boring. I'll probably be dropping this game entirely from my roster of 'games i'm interested in' unless something changes.

Also, only seeing maybe 1 new champion since the closed alpha/beta is a bit discouraging, mostly cause outside of one or two of the designs, none of them are really connecting with me, either visually or in terms of gameplay design. Having to play this via UWP is also a bummer - I try to keep my interactions with the Windows Store to an absolute minimum.

Long matchmaking times appear to be an oddity or due to a bug, because most matches take under a minute to a minute and thirty seconds to find. During the closed beta, matchmaking times were atrocious, and it's much improved now.

Personally, I appreciate the open beta releasing without any major roster additions, because it's allowed Motiga to double down and balance out the currently existing roster--which is pretty well balanced, for the most part. With roster additions being six weeks out each--from what they've recently said--I'm fine with that.

I can, however, see why someone would dislike that.

Gigantic Facebook said:
We want to say thanks to all those players who stuck with us through the hurdles of the first Open Beta weekend! If you played Gigantic between Thursday, 12/8, and Sunday, 12/11, you’ll find +6000 crowns and +10 free prestige boosts automatically credited to your account by the end of the day - a gift from us to help make up for the lost time and set you back on the path to that new hero or skin!

This just got posted on the Gigantic facebook

deoee

DqPADjx.jpg

fastest game we had yet

Just noticed one of them was AFK...
That's really a problem in the game ;_;

Edit: Got another friend hooked, that's 3 :D

Figments

Update from Motiga on the OB weekend:

Hello heroes!

The first open beta weekend has come and gone, and we’ve been blown away by all the support and enthusiasm we’ve received about a game that we’ve poured our heart and soul in to for the past few years. It’s been a long road, but we’re overjoyed to finally introduce the game to both our fans and players who are just learning about it for the first time, all on the Open Beta stage!

The early days of an Open Beta will often be accompanied by its fair share of hiccups. Whether your determined enough to muscle through the issues for the love of the game or end up taking a step back until Motiga can resolve the problems, we share in your frustration as each one of these problems arise. We play the game too, and it sucks to run into a problem that prevents you from playing or feeling rewarded after playing in an epic match; we’re right there with you, which is why the team has been in overdrive to find and fix the problems that affect your Gigantic experience.

With the first Open Beta weekend under our belt, we want to send our gratitude to all those players who were impacted by some of the issues we’ve since resolved. If you played a match any time between Thursday, 12/8 and Sunday, 12/11, you’ll find +6000 crowns and 10 free prestige boosts automatically credited to your account by the end of the day; this should help you make up for any lost time, and set you back on the path to that new hero or skin you’ve been working towards!

As always, we want to thank you for your patience as we work through the technical glitches that come with game development. We couldn’t (and wouldn’t) do this without you, and pledge to continue working to polish and bolster Gigantic as we build the best competitive experience on the planet!

Thanks again, and we’ll see you on the airship!

-The Motiga Team

Also, for the next thirty hours, all Fortune Cards are half off.

Figments

On a side note, Vadasi is nothing short of incredible.

And difficult as fuck to use properly.

But she's awesome anyway~

Yeah, the matchmaking seems to prefer Ghost Reef until around levels 5-8?

Oh, I see. I'm not quite to that level yet. I'm just used to having played on Ghost Reef ever since the closed beta, and I stopped playing before they brought other maps into the rotation.

'Sort of reminds me of how Paladins forces you to play against bots until you hit account level 5.

Figments

Oh, I see. I'm not quite to that level yet. I'm just used to having played on Ghost Reef ever since the closed beta, and I stopped playing before they brought other maps into the rotation.

'Sort of reminds me of how Paladins forces you to play against bots until you hit account level 5.

Well, Ghost Reef is the most newbie friendly map in the game right now. Sanctum Falls and the ice one ate a bit more non-linear, and in the case of the ice one, incredibly varied with flank routes and a Clash section that is even more so.

I remember a lot of debate about this issue when it first got patched in. I still disagree with it.

Decided to check this out tonight.

Holy crap, that thread title is accurate. It definitely does not feel like a MOBA at all! It has similarities, but in my very brief time with the game, it's more like Overwatch with Dota inspirations. Maybe I'm totally off base, but that was my first reaction.

The tutorial was okay. I'm not totally clear on how you can level up your creatures for example even though I supposedly did it in the tutorial? I'll figure everything out as I go along I suppose.

Matchmaking times are super quick. Less than a minute for the matches I've played, and that's at 1am PST too, so not exactly prime time.

Going to be playing this some more over the holiday break for sure.

Decided to check this out tonight.

Holy crap, that thread title is accurate. It definitely does not feel like a MOBA at all! It has similarities, but in my very brief time with the game, it's more like Overwatch with Dota inspirations. Maybe I'm totally off base, but that was my first reaction.

The tutorial was okay. I'm not totally clear on how you can level up your creatures for example even though I supposedly did it in the tutorial? I'll figure everything out as I go along I suppose.

Matchmaking times are super quick. Less than a minute for the matches I've played, and that's at 1am PST too, so not exactly prime time.

Going to be playing this some more over the holiday break for sure.
Upgrading creatures costs focus. You build your focus through actions in the game, and you can spend your focus to use your ult ability or to upgrade creatures.

Team mates. Look, I know you might be new. But when I am summoning a Summer Bloomer in a key location, and you're all respawning after wiping on an attack phase (didn't even get the wound), don't all run to the other side of the map, where there has been no action for 30+ seconds, whilst I have visibility on 3+ enemies approaching this key focal point. I appreciate the map might be confusing, but please try to get over to me before all 5 enemies swamp me and the Bloomer.

Ta.

RAAAAAGEEE

Figments

Team mates. Look, I know you might be new. But when I am summoning a Summer Bloomer in a key location, and you're all respawning after wiping on an attack phase (didn't even get the wound), don't all run to the other side of the map, where there has been no action for 30+ seconds, whilst I have visibility on 3+ enemies approaching this key focal point. I appreciate the map might be confusing, but please try to get over to me before all 5 enemies swamp me and the Bloomer.

Ta.

RAAAAAGEEE

Hah.

Still pisses me off when someone upgrades a young bloomer on the forward point in Ghost Reef to a goddamn Cerberus.

It makes no goddamn sense and I want them to stop.

Super nice of Motiga to give us the free currency! Told my friends about it as well and they want to jump in again tonight now.

I need to buy Voden, he was free for me last week and I miss him already. :p

As you're talking about the creatures:

What's the best strategy on placing them?

Main point (A) is generally best for a scout, farthest point is usually a bloomer for quick retreats to heal during skirmishes and flank routes are generally walled. That way they are forced through the middle almost where you can see them all via the scout.

Should I already have gotten 6,000 crowns? I haven't gotten anything yet :(

Think it said by tonight, maybe give it a few hours.

The free 6000 crowns is awesome of Motiga to give. That's pretty much a free hero, or two free skins. I also forgot about the free prestige boost on 10 wins, too. That'll make earning gems/rubies a bit faster, too.

Either way, it's a very nice gesture from Motiga. Them good folks~
Should I already have gotten 6,000 crowns? I haven't gotten anything yet :(

Ah. Thank ya!

Holy moly, Lord Knossoss is a beast. Just purchased him and wrecked the other team.

As you're talking about the creatures:

What's the best strategy on placing them?

Definitely cerberus in the back, mostly so you can see on the mini map if any enemies get behind your team to try to kill one of your creatures or set up for damaging your guardian.

Other than that, kind of up to the map and placement situation. I like the bloomer on the front line for quick retreats to heal, but think about where the walls will be for the cyclops as well. For example, on Sanctum Falls the cyclops walls are really effective at both the mid-river spot, and the offset point on your side of the map (a wall will block the main entrance to get to your guardian).

Top Bottom