• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giro d'Italia 2017 |OT|

teepo

oh no, this doesn't look good for tom

edit: 20" gap between tom and the front and they haven't even attacked yet

teepo

gUdPW08.jpg

JPKellams

If Tom keeps the difference close tomorrow he can take it all in the time trial.

Reposting from Page 3:

I still think Nairo wins this Giro, but it got much harder with the time he lost today. Here is my logic...

1) Tom tends to fade in week 3.
2) Sunweb, without Kelderman, will leave him isolated in the high mountains.
3) Pinot, Nibali, and Quintana will essentially work together to push Tom down the hill as much as they can as early as they can.
4) The gaps on the final TT will not be as great as today. Dumoulin won't be front loaded with a rest day and will have full three weeks of racing in his legs. See point 1.
5) Movistar clearly brought the strongest team.
6) People are reading too much into Blockhaus. It was a single climb after a long day, but was essentially a TT effort for Dumoulin, and he rode it as such. When you have multiple climbs in a day is when he will be under difficulty.

Quintana needs to take back 3.5-5 minutes in the mountain, but I think that is possible. He also needs a minimum of 20-30 seconds on Pinot, which is harder.

I think the podium is either Pinot or Quintana on the top step, with Nibali or Dumoulin third. Nibali may crack, but he is like Coppi, all about the age and treachery, and the third week should be full of it.

-------------------

Nairo needs 20-30 more seconds tomorrow and needs to put some time into Pinot. But other than that, I think everything I said above has held true.

teepo

It would REALLY suck if this decides the Giro.

but it already has decided the giro?

i've even seen the argument on peleton that no one else benefited more from the crash than dumoulin due to the loss of geraint thomas and the crash effectively removing yates from the gc competition. i don't think tom would've been so cheeky and overconfident if thomas were still in the race and the attack on the climbs would've been radically different if yates had a chance at a podium finish. remember, thomas finished within seconds of dumoulin in the first ITT and that was the day after the motorbike crash

not that i necessarily agree with that assessment but we shouldn't view the crash in such a narrow perspective.

-MB-

It really is a curse :( I just want to see a Dutch guy win a big tour in my lifetime. It will happen eventually....right?

I am not so sure of it, seems to me they lack the mentality to win it all these days. There are always weird incidents that seem to happen to them mostly, that takes them out of contention.
And Tom is definitely the closest we ever came, yet he still has the usual quirks too.

Ruruja

Another impressive GT for my boy Adam Yates, shame he got caught up in the police bike incident. Hope he can keep the white jersey.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I am not so sure of it, seems to me they lack the mentality to win it all these days. There are always weird incidents that seem to happen to them mostly, that takes them out of contention.
And Tom is definitely the closest we ever came, yet he still has the usual quirks too.

Honestly I'm a little shocked the Dutch haven't won a Giro yet. It's a little weird that a country like Canada with Hesjedal (no offence to him) can win, yet the Dutch with all their talent can't.

Fuck, most likely gonna miss the end of this stage, I am at the Italy-Japan under 20 world cup game in Korea and I won't be home to 1am local time, with the race most likely just finishing.

Maybe it is a good thing, last year I missed the race when Nibali took pink.

Joni

Decisions: watch two Belgians on the attack in the Giro with terrible Eurosport or watch the Baloise Belgium Tour on the superior channel.

They are all too fried to make anything happen it seems. Tom in pole going into tomorrows final still.

Yeah lol. I keep reading that they attack and then the next update says Tom is dropped followed by another update that he has rejoined.

Gonna take an absolutwly massive fuck up from him tomorrow to lose the race.

Weckum

The way Nibali goes downhill always gives me the heebyjeeby's. He's amazing at it, but it leads to my asshole being clinched constantly.

kch

38 seconds is a lot in such a short time trial tho. Hopefully he'll manage.

I think Nairo would need at least 1:30 on Tom for the TT even though it's a short one. Tom is just so much better at time trials.
Man Zakarin should practice downhill if he ever want to be a real contender in GC's..

Weckum

I am reading he is statting to build a bit of a lead, true?

Nibali and Quintana caught up with the lead group, five in total now.

Dumoulin the group behind that, 15 seconds. That group is gaining on the lead group (Quintana/Nibali) because they're not organized.

kch

wtf are the leaders doing

they're riding in circles, literally

I think (hope) this is what grand tours will look like now in that doping wont be what makes the difference. Only so much one can do without cheating.

kch

This is what the final day should be like. Excitiment til the very end. It being a parade ala le Tour is lame.
This Giro has been great. So even. Too bad Landa and Thomas crashed out in Blockhaus, they would have been in that top 6-7 as well most likely.

Rolfgang

Oh man, what a Giro this has been. Tomorrow one epic final and I really hope Tom can pull it off. We are so thirsty for Dutch success in a big cycling tournament.

Top Bottom