• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

mitx

So, as someone who really liked Freedom Wars but never could get into Soul Sacrifice (vanilla nor delta), is this game worth it?

Ephidel

One doubt: Is double jump limited to X uses per mission?
I think you can only double jump when you have at least lvl1 burst.
It's also a skill on some Weapons and Upgrade units.

The Upgrade unit is Mid-Air Jump, it's a Rank 6 unit.

The weapon skills that include Mid-Air Jump are:

Cherry Petal Dance I+ (so the Heat Drill, and Ice Drill II. Both short blades).
Venom Leap II+ (the Traviata short blades, as well as the Armida II scythe and its offshoots).
Jambes d'Or I+ (the Rigoletto short blade)
Dunamis II+ (Longblades Animato II and Con Fuoco II, and the scythe Violenza II).
Bouncer I+ (Sniper guns Tosca, Madama Butterfly)
Power Walker I+ (Shotguns Yang Rifle, Shaoyang Rifle, Daji Rifle).

There might be others but those are all I can recall offhand. I know it used to be on some shields but it hasn't shown up on any of the ones I've bothered upgrading so far.

It's also a skill on some Weapons and Upgrade units.

The Upgrade unit is Mid-Air Jump, it's a Rank 6 unit.

The weapon skills that include Mid-Air Jump are:

Cherry Petal Dance I+ (so the Heat Drill, and Ice Drill II. Both short blades).
Venom Leap II+ (the Traviata short blades, as well as the Armida II scythe and its offshoots).
Jambes d'Or I+ (the Rigoletto short blade)
Dunamis II+ (Longblades Animato II and Con Fuoco II, and the scythe Violenza II).
Bouncer I+ (Sniper guns Tosca, Madama Butterfly)
Power Walker I+ (Shotguns Yang Rifle, Shaoyang Rifle, Daji Rifle).

There might be others but those are all I can recall offhand. I know it used to be on some shields but it hasn't shown up on any of the ones I've bothered upgrading so far.

Wow, thanks! So much to learn...

So, as someone who really liked Freedom Wars but never could get into Soul Sacrifice (vanilla nor delta), is this game worth it?

Well, first of all why didn't you like Soul Sacrifice? Was it the gameplay?

mitx

Well, first of all why didn't you like Soul Sacrifice? Was it the gameplay?

I just wasn't having much fun with it. I don't have any particular criticism the gameplay, but i wasn't getting into the story at all and the art direction wasn't really for me.

I liked Freedom Wars story (I know it didn't pay off and has a lot of flaws) and the thorne mechanic was great to use.

Manac0r

Really, really enjoying this game...it is very moreish... Just one more mission! Been having a blast with some co-op but have just moved abodes so will have to solo for a while - until proper internet is restored.

I like the fact there is a subtle complexity involved and it is up to you how far down the rabbit hole you go. While not amazing - the narrative helps move things a long and give a sense of purpose to missions.

How different is GEB2?

Finding this tough to get into this game. Freedom wars and soul sacrifice was a lot easier for me to settle. I'm around story mission 20 and somewhat starting to appreciate short weapons but feel the camera is poor and damage output isn't the best. Am I playing it wrong or just not suited to the game.

Saphirax

Finding this tough to get into this game. Freedom wars and soul sacrifice was a lot easier for me to settle. I'm around story mission 20 and somewhat starting to appreciate short weapons but feel the camera is poor and damage output isn't the best. Am I playing it wrong or just not suited to the game.

If you want to see big numbers you'll have to make the proper bullets. The damage discrepancy between melee and ranged can get ridiculous. What's your damage output like? Are you upgrading/creating new weapons and installing useful skills?

If you want to see big numbers you'll have to make the proper bullets. The damage discrepancy between melee and ranged can get ridiculous. What's your damage output like? Are you upgrading/creating new weapons and installing useful skills?

Haven't started installing useful skills as I haven't settled on a weapon yet but I'm on chapter 4 and am using rank 4 weapons on average. I'm usually hitting 170 no burst and 200+ at burst mode. I'm managing to get through fight but urgent missions are a nightmare and get messy really fast.

Saphirax

Haven't started installing useful skills as I haven't settled on a weapon yet but I'm on chapter 4 and am using rank 4 weapons on average. I'm usually hitting 170 no burst and 200+ at burst mode. I'm managing to get through fight but urgent missions are a nightmare and get messy really fast.

Bullet wise you should be able to hit 700+ easily on some bosses. Have a look at the GE:R wiki:

http://godeater.wikia.com/wiki/Bullets_(GER)

Some of the bullets there can be really useful.

And yeah, urgent missions can be a nightmare. Especially the ones that pit you against 4 bosses. Good thing is - you don't have to do them.

Bullet wise you should be able to hit 700+ easily on some bosses. Have a look at the GE:R wiki:

http://godeater.wikia.com/wiki/Bullets_(GER)

Some of the bullets there can be really useful.

And yeah, urgent missions can be a nightmare. Especially the ones that pit you against 4 bosses. Good thing is - you don't have to do them.

You've just introduced me to a new game with the gun info you just showed me. Yeah, I'm aware the urgent mission isn't compulsory but the nature of it being urgent compels me to give it a go. Again, nice one on opening my eyes with the guns.

I just wasn't having much fun with it. I don't have any particular criticism the gameplay, but i wasn't getting into the story at all and the art direction wasn't really for me.

I liked Freedom Wars story (I know it didn't pay off and has a lot of flaws) and the thorne mechanic was great to use.

Well, I have:

Soul Sacrifice
GE
SwordArt Online
Freedom Wars

I'm only missing Toukiden from the big VITA hunting games (unless there's another I don't know about).

I think that GE is a mix of Soul Sacrifice speedy combat with Freedom Wars guns, in terms of gameplay.

The combats (mind you, I'm still at the beginning) aren't as long as FW, but a bit longer than SS.

It's a game I can easily recommend specially if you are into the genre.

Ephidel

The best way to solve number worries?
oPFonwm.jpg
... I'm only half joking :p
As someone who also hasn't installed any skills on a weapon yet, allow me to be a hypocrite and advocate for using them:

You'll be rolling in abandoned God Arcs.
If one of them has a skill you think will help and you want it on something, just apply it. You'll get more, and you can always overwrite it later if you change your mind.

I've spent ages not applying skills because I didn't know what skills would appear in the compound skills that upgrade with the weapons because they're new to me and I didn't want to double up... and also because I'm a weird perfectionist and didn't want to apply a skill that was low level.

I just tend to pick weapons with skills I like instead, but honestly, I've probably made stuff harder for myself, and if I had used arcs to add skills I wouldn't be missing them now because I have tons more with the same skills and whatnot.

Also, once you hit Rank 9 (Rank 9 spoilers)
you start getting abandoned arcs with compound skills anyway and the earlier single-skill ones largely become less useful
, so you might as well make use of the earlier ones while they might actually help.
Is there a way to get this game individually? I can't find it.
On Playstation yes. On PC no.

Ascheroth

It's pretty funny how I like every weapon more then the last.
I've tried all of course, but at first I stuck with the scythe, then the spear and currently I'm having a blast with the Buster Blade.
There's something reaaaally satisfying about connecting charged attacks.

Also, I'm in Difficulty 5 now and there's this mission where you have to fight a ton of Ogretails and its variations. It's not exactly difficult, but I can't say it wasn't a ton of fun.
Taking out 2 normal ones at once with a single charged attack sure is satisfying.

Me and my buddy are co-oping this. He's away for the weekend. We've only done about five story missions. If I go back and re play missions we've already done for materials and some extra cash and to get to grips with the game a bit more, will that impact our co-op missions in any negative way? Like I'm not gonna lock us out of content or anything? Sorry for the stupid question but I've never played a game like this before.

Also since I join his game, will the AP I get for the AI characters mean nothing when we continue?

Ascheroth

Me and my buddy are co-oping this. He's away for the weekend. We've only done about five story missions. If I go back and re play missions we've already done for materials and some extra cash and to get to grips with the game a bit more, will that impact our co-op missions in any negative way? Like I'm not gonna lock us out of content or anything? Sorry for the stupid question but I've never played a game like this before.

Also since I join his game, will the AP I get for the AI characters mean nothing when we continue?

The AP your characters earn in co-op will stay in single player and vice versa.
Playing single player also won't really mess up things. Let's say you did 10 story missions and your friend did 5. Regardless of who hosts the game, you'll only be able to play story mission 6. Basically, story progress is bound to the lowest completed story mission. Free missions stay open though, if I remember it correctly.
But since you're going to join his game, you'll only be able to play the missions he himself unlocked anyway. The only downside to continuing on your own is that you'd have to sit through the cutscenes again with your friend in co-op, unless both of you don't care about them. And getting better equipment.

The AP your characters earn in co-op will stay in single player and vice versa.
Playing single player also won't really mess up things. Let's say you did 10 story missions and your friend did 5. Regardless of who hosts the game, you'll only be able to play story mission 6. Basically, story progress is bound to the lowest completed story mission. Free missions stay open though, if I remember it correctly.
But since you're going to join his game, you'll only be able to play the missions he himself unlocked anyway. The only downside to continuing on your own is that you'd have to sit through the cutscenes again with your friend in co-op, unless both of you don't care about them. And getting better equipment.

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I wanted to hear!

Ascheroth

For anyone interested, here are the PSHashes to get hudless screenshots with GeDoSaTo.
Code:
injectPSHash 40281d2e
injectPSHash 82938a24
injectPSHash bfa838f7
injectPSHash abde9c8d
injectPSHash 8638b70a

It's possible that I've missed some, since the game seems to randomly choose from a number of hashes every startup, but those 5 seem to work fine.

Anyway, have some hudless Quadriga action

Uthred

I've seen people with "slaved" modules in the bullet editor, but I cant seem to see an option to do it?

Edit: Never mind, push right or left on the dpad, Im an idiot

PaulSane

Can I use AP to change my personal skills?

It seems we can only change other team member skills, is that right?

That's correct. Your own character doesn't have AP though - you get all your skills from your gear.
At one point in the story, you start getting so called abandoned god arcs after missions - you can then upgrade your gear using these, adding new skills and increasing stats. There is no easy way of getting a certain skill you want - you have to craft a piece of gear with it, or find an abandoned god arc that has it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked the up the other day and I'm really enjoying it. I was a bit hesitant, since I haven't enjoyed any of the other non-MH hunting games I've tried very much (Toukiden is okay I guess). There's just something to God Eater that I really like. The Bullet Editor is really fun too, though I still don't completely get it. It's pretty cool making shots that go into the air then rain down on the enemy, though.

But yeah, good stuff, and it's nice to have found a console hunting game I can enjoy.

I've only been taking the main characters with me on missions , is there any point in using the other characters or should i stick to what I'm doing?

Well they all have different skillsets and extra scenes.
But you should just take whoever you like.

I recommend Kanon. Don't mind it when she shoots you in the back.

Thanks!

Ascheroth

I've only been taking the main characters with me on missions , is there any point in using the other characters or should i stick to what I'm doing?

Well they all have different skillsets and extra scenes.
But you should just take whoever you like.

I recommend Kanon. Don't mind it when she shoots you in the back.

Ascheroth

Just fought Dyaus Pita. As the name implies, it was a pain in the ass :p (the music was awesome though)
But seriously, Buster Blades are the opposite of convenient against Vajra-types :/
It went better the second time when I fought with a Spear.

Lorcain

I've played about 15 hours of GER on pc and it's a lot of fun. I didn't expected to get sucked in like this. The missions are addictive in that I'll do just one more before bed kind of way...ok one more after this one...no really, this is the last one.

I just finished watching the anime on Crunchyroll, and it's been really cool to group up with those characters. I almost didn't start with Resurrection, thinking the sequel would have better mechanics. I would have missed out on the anime characters.

The gunlance is my favorite weapon in the Monster Hunter series, with the charge blade and switch axe being right up there too. GE's take on weapons transforming between melee and ranged is really good. The gameplay encourages swapping back and forth. It's a faster pace of action which I've found to be a lot of fun so far. I like how the game drops me right into the mission, without having to do a lot of running to find the aragami. In and out.

So far I'm liking the charge spear and variant scythe the best for melee, and the assault gun and blast gun for ranged. I'm still trying to get the hang of the long blade and buster blade. I was starting to get into a groove last night doing combos with the long blade and using zero stance to reset the last animation and keep the combo string going.

The buster weapons have been fun to use, but my timing on the parry move still needs some work. I do like that I can use instant guard to cancel animations or block. And the charge attack wrecks aragami.

I've never played any of the GE titles before, so this all new to me, but it's been really good so far.

Arizato

Am I doing something wrong?

I am on Difficulty 3 right now and I dread every mission where I have to fight a Gboro Gboro or foes that have as much health. Not because they are hard, but because I have to fight them for like 4+ minutes even with a group of four people. I have upgraded my weapons and tried to keep up with the missions, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Wailing away at an enemy who can take so much damage even when I am striking weak points is really tedious, especially since the locking function doesn't let you target individual parts.

Am I just bad at the game, or is it supposed to be like this?

Lorcain

Am I doing something wrong?

I am on Difficulty 3 right now and I dread every mission where I have to fight a Gboro Gboro or foes that have as much health. Not because they are hard, but because I have to fight them for like 4+ minutes even with a group of four people. I have upgraded my weapons and tried to keep up with the missions, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Wailing away at an enemy who can take so much damage even when I am striking weak points is really tedious, especially since the locking function doesn't let you target individual parts.

Am I just bad at the game, or is it supposed to be like this?
You're probably already doing this, but I found that fights go much faster if I can keep my team in burst. I've started to add devours into my combos so I can maintain their burst state by firing burst rounds at my teammates.

I also bring Federico with me because he does a good job of keeping me at burst level 3, which helps to speed up fights. He's one of the 3 New Type npcs that can bring 2 weapon types to the fight (Alisa and Anette are also New Types).

Arizato

You're probably already doing this, but I found that fights go much faster if I can keep my team in burst. I've started to add devours into my combos so I can maintain their burst state by firing burst rounds at my teammates.

I also bring Federico with me because he does a good job of keeping me at burst level 3, which helps to speed up fights. He's one of the 3 New Type npcs that can bring 2 weapon types to the fight (Alisa and Anette are also New Types).

I recently started doing the first one, and it has helped out a little.

Will keep the second advice in mind, thank you! :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? I'm in Difficulty 4, everything's done, Hibari's just telling me to "take it easy in the living area for a while". I've gone everywhere and talked to everyone. Any ideas? I checked a walkthrough for Burst and it says I need to talk to Saskaki again in his lab, but it won't let me go in.

Uthred

Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do here? I'm in Difficulty 4, everything's done, Hibari's just telling me to "take it easy in the living area for a while". I've gone everywhere and talked to everyone. Any ideas? I checked a walkthrough for Burst and it says I need to talk to Saskaki again in his lab, but it won't let me go in.

Not sure if its the one I'm thinking of, but have you gone to your own quarters and checked the terminal?

Lorcain

There's a definite difficulty spike for the Free Missions in Difficulty 3. The story missions are much easier. In fact, I'd recommend sticking to the story missions for most of Difficulty 3 until you can upgrade your weapons. The reason is because at that level of equipment, throwing 3-4 medium aragami at you at once is really challenging, especially when you're still learning the game systems.

The Urgent Missions for Difficulty 3 usually have 3-5 medium aragami as well. Everything is doable, but I'm afraid the difficulty spike would discourage new players from pushing forward. There are some very helpful game systems that open at Difficulty 4 that make a real difference in power progression for the player. Even without that, the Difficulty 4 Free Missions have been much easier, usually only 1 or 2 aragami.

So my advice for people getting frustrated in Difficulty 3, focus on the story missions and get to Difficulty 4, then go back and kick aragami ass in those Difficulty 3 free missions.

Rymuth

I'm on difficulty 6 right now and about to fight Diyus Pita for a second time. Took a break to mentally prepare myself for it.

The difficulty spike in this game is unfair and ridiculous. I always felt like I was given a fair shot in games like Toukiden and Monster Hunter but here...the monsters are very cheap. Well, okay, I can handle most Aragami except for the Vajra type. They blow.

Take for example when they pounce. Another game would give them a few frames of pausing after they landed so you can can strike at their back. In this game, as soon as the Vajra lands after its pounce, it's already flipping to face you. It's basically a monster version of the magnetic/lock on Knight from Dark Souls 2.

That's not fun to fight...

Ascheroth

I'm on difficulty 6 right now and about to fight Diyus Pita for a second time. Took a break to mentally prepare myself for it.

The difficulty spike in this game is unfair and ridiculous. I always felt like I was given a fair shot in games like Toukiden and Monster Hunter but here...the monsters are very cheap. Well, okay, I can handle most Aragami except for the Vajra type. They blow.

Take for example when they pounce. Another game would give them a few frames of pausing after they landed so you can can strike at their back. In this game, as soon as the Vajra lands after its pounce, it's already flipping to face you. It's basically a monster version of the magnetic/lock on Knight from Dark Souls 2.

That's not fun to fight...

Eh, Vajras are fast, but they still have windows where you can attack them, like when they roar or when they prepare to shoot those 5 electric balls. Besides, don't forget to use your gun!
Honestly, Vajras are pretty easy for me now, and I'm using a Buster Blade. Dyaus Pita is still difficult and fast as fuck, but he gives you opportunities as well.
The only difficulty spikes that can get annoying are those where you have to fight multiple stronger Aragami at the same time. I suck at keeping them apart.. Does someone have any tips for that?

Rymuth

The only difficulty spikes that can get annoying are those where you have to fight multiple stronger Aragami at the same time. I suck at keeping them apart.. Does someone have any tips for that?
If it's unavoidable fighting them at the same time, I just concentrate on one and don't pursue it when it runs away. They usually leave me alone for the duration of the fight.

Rymuth

Welp - finished. Still think Chapter 6 was ridiculous. It speaks volumes about Diyus Pita that even the final, final boss did not give me as much trouble.

Will be taking a break before jumping into GE2

Damn, the first Hannibal encounter was brutal. The Vajra are nothing compared to that.

But the final boss was a real disappointment in terms of difficulty. It was almost easier than dealing with Ogretails.

How many Story missions are there?

Ascheroth

Currently on Mission Level 4

How many levels of difficulty are there? (Levels, chapters, whatever!)

Probably 14, since that is the highest requirement for the Extra Missions.

Difficulty 1-6 are the original storyline, 7-10 are the Burst storyline and above is Resurrection storyline if I understand it right.

Welp - finished. Still think Chapter 6 was ridiculous. It speaks volumes about Diyus Pita that even the final, final boss did not give me as much trouble.

Will be taking a break before jumping into GE2
Damn you're fast.
I still think Dyaus Pita is pretty manageable - I just fought one in Difficulty 9 without much problem. But yeah, he is a huge difficulty spike when you first meet him. And if you have to fight him and another Aragami at the same time....

Rymuth

Probably 14, since that is the highest requirement for the Extra Missions.

Difficulty 1-6 are the original storyline, 7-10 are the Burst storyline and above is Resurrection storyline if I understand it right.
Story ends at Chapter 10. Whilst you'll get occasional tidbits of dialogue in Chapters 11-15, the official storyline ends with Chapter 10. (heck, even 7-10 was light on story. There was practically no scenes in 8-9)

Ascheroth

So I'm now a couple missions into Difficulty 11 and... there definitely is a storyline.
And I actually thought the story arc during 7-10 was pretty great. Yeah, there definitely are less cutscenes... but talking with the characters in the Den is still pretty interesting.

UCBooties

Story ends at Chapter 10. Whilst you'll get occasional tidbits of dialogue in Chapters 11-15, the official storyline ends with Chapter 10. (heck, even 7-10 was light on story. There was practically no scenes in 8-9)

There are still story cutscenes up through the end of the Ressurection storyline at the end of Chapter 13.

All the stuff with the
Dreadnaught Aragami
and the
second Nova
are post Chapter 10 story.

Top Bottom