• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

Ironlombax1

Neo Member
So I've never played a hunting game, but I've always been pretty interested in the gameplay/concept. Between GE and Toukiden, I decided that I'll probably pick up God Eater 2.
My main question is between the PS4 and Steam releases. I'll get a better deal and a possibly more stable release if I go with the PS4, so what advantages or possible advantages will the Steam release have? I have a fairly decent gaming PC, and I'm not sure if there'll be a big modding community or something else with the PC release.

Any help or input would be appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Ascheroth

So I've never played a hunting game, but I've always been pretty interested in the gameplay/concept. Between GE and Toukiden, I decided that I'll probably pick up God Eater 2.
My main question is between the PS4 and Steam releases. I'll get a better deal and a possibly more stable release if I go with the PS4, so what advantages or possible advantages will the Steam release have? I have a fairly decent gaming PC, and I'm not sure if there'll be a big modding community or something else with the PC release.

Any help or input would be appreciated, and thanks for reading!

Steam version is going to have 60 fps and mouse support. You'll also get both God Eater Resurrection and God Eater 2 as a bundle (I think this was only a preorder bonus for PS4?)
If you buy it directly from Steam you'll also have a 2 hours no-questions-asked refund period in case it turns out to be a mess or you just don't like it. It looks like to be an even better port then Tales of Zestiria was though, and that one was really good and stable outside of a somewhat wonky framelimiter, which was eventually fixed by modders.
It can also currently be preordered for around -10 to 16% on various sites, but that revokes the refund time.

The biggest questionmark is how much of a community the game will have on Steam. There isn't really much of a precedent for hunting games on Steam with the exception of Toukiden: Kiwami, which sold horribly (but was a shit port).

SkyOdin

Well, I have made it close to the end of the Resurrection chapter, which has been really good so far. If this is a sign of what God Eater 2 will be like, it is encouraging. The pacing has been pretty good, and the cut scenes have been significantly improved in quality over the rest of God Eater 1.

However, I just encountered a monster so ridiculous, I can't do anything but laugh at how badly it crushed me. It is found deep in Difficulty rank 13:
the Blitz Hannibal.
It is more or less a basic Hannibal-type Aragami, except it has apparently devoured Japan's entire supply of caffeine or something. The thing moves like a Hannibal, except at two or three times the normal speed. It is completely insane. It is actually kind of amazing to watch it causally dash across the length of the battlefield in about a second, then one-shot Kota with a single claw-swipe.
This is going to take some work to get past.

LAA

Have questions...
I was planning on getting GE2 on Vita physically, (which did include GE:R), but now I've seen the PSN store site for this, (UK): https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/god-eater-2-rage-burst-(-god-eater-resurrection-offered)/cid=EP0700-CUSA03370_00-GE2RBPREORD00000
And it's claiming cross buy is in play here...if this is the case, I'd rather buy it digitally, but have two questions about this...

1. Does physical include cross buy at all?

2. The description in the link only seems to mention GE:R for cross buy, and not GE2 as well. Do we know if both are included for Cross buy or not? (I did notice there's no Vita page for GE:R/GE2 however...)

Thanks

Was just about to ask the same thing.

I don't find God Eater 2 for the Vita (Portuguese store) anywhere.

I do find GE2 for the PS4 with Cross-buy (cross...gain?) for GE Ressurection on both the PS4 and Vita

So...is GE2 cross buy?

LAA

Was just about to ask the same thing.

I don't find God Eater 2 for the Vita (Portuguese store) anywhere.

I do find GE2 for the PS4 with Cross-buy (cross...gain?) for GE Ressurection on both the PS4 and Vita

So...is GE2 cross buy?

Still no idea sadly, but I think GE2 isn't cross buy from what it seems, so think I'm just sticking with Vita physical, to save precious Vita memory space and getting the Resurrection digital code with it. Definitely a game I'd rather play on Vita anyway for me.

I think it has been mentioned many times here but: you cannot pre-order Vita games. GE2 is NOT cross-buy on any platform. GE2 on the Vita DOES NOT include Resurrection (in the US). The PS4 version does, which unlocks the first game immediately if you are in the US, or on the 30th anywhere else (so EU, AUS, etc). The physical Vita version which is exclusive to EU and AUS releases on the 30th. Pre-ordering the GE2RB PS4 version physically ANYWHERE, does NOT unlock the first game, since the code is inside the game's case, which you will most likely only receive when they ship them for release on the 30th.

Hopefully this post makes it clear for everyone, since the worldwide launch is imminent.

Ephidel

I think it has been mentioned many times here but: you cannot pre-order Vita games. GE2 is NOT cross-buy on any platform. GE2 on the Vita DOES NOT include Resurrection (in the US). The PS4 version does, which unlocks the first game immediately if you are in the US, or on the 30th anywhere else (so EU, AUS, etc). The physical Vita version which is exclusive to EU and AUS releases on the 30th. Pre-ordering the GE2RB PS4 version physically ANYWHERE, does NOT unlock the first game, since the code is inside the game's case, which you will most likely only receive when they ship them for release on the 30th.

Hopefully this post makes it clear for everyone, since the worldwide launch is imminent.
I can't help wondering if they realise how confusing they've made it. It's all a bit of a mess, really.
Glad you have been enjoying the game. To answer that question though:
Fredrico and Annette do show up with their normal gear when the story gets to the Burst chapter. They do get interlude scenes too. Strangely enough, they the real versions exist as completely separate characters from the Alt versions. So not only are their personal skills different, you can deploy two Annettes at once.
I guess the
"Real" Annette and Federico
have their original weaponsets back? That's almost kind of a shame, I actually liked that they'd
given Annette a proper hammer instead of a buster blade shaped like one
. Could be fun to play with
a team of clones
though :)
Also, I sympathize with your trouble in finding a good voice for bringing back a character from the PSP version. They new voices just don't match up with the originals at all.
Yeah it was tough. What voice did you go for in the end?

Oh yeah, and as for the "deity sized deuce" thing?
Yeah, I got confirmation that that's my character.
zmzapge.jpg
Sigh :(
Oh well, at least she doesn't say it often.

Following on from my previous comments about enjoying the interludes (which I'm still enjoying, having seen several more variations of them, and some for the other characters as well now) I really do like all the little character stuff, like their comments when you buy or use their personal abilities.
Or some of the enemy-specific text in battle. I grinned seeing Brendan vs Camlanns and Kanon vs Ouroboros in particular ^_^
AmnefIo.jpg
BEaDZWH.jpg

Had a chance to progress with the plot a bit, and dear god, I swear Bestial Twilight never used to be this hard. Who decided the (Aragami)
'Pita' in Dyaus Pita needed to stand for Pain In The Arse
with all the (Battle-stuff)
red and the wings and the superspeed
? :|
It took me a few goes to manage it without exhausting my Endurance. I guess that made it more satisfying that the time I managed it I actually did it pretty damn cleanly, but still, yeesh, still a close call.
28mGItZ.jpg
1DhHDps.jpg
Yes, that is 3 minutes left on the clock ¬_¬

And on a completely different note, where did the Rebellion/Striver/Desolation triad come from? I assume they're anime stuff? But when did they sneak into the shop and why did the Shopkeep send me emails telling me he had Restore Pills and Wool but omit the fact he had Devour HP attribute shields? Doesn't he know what up-selling is?
Seriously, I'd been cursing the lack of Devour HP attribute stuff, and after finally gathering the mats and making the control unit I happen to find that thing in the menus? It's not even like there's a "this item is shit" trade-off, it's a good shield, at least after the first upgrade.
I wanted to scream :(

By the way, does anyone have pictures of their God Eaters? I want to see pictures! :D

This is my main outfit at the moment.
Though I have a few others mostly linked to a few specific loadouts.
js30jDy.jpg
qqXx7pK.jpg
NlYuf1V.jpg
NQMmuRp.jpg
UhLRMDU.jpg
goYL9Md.jpg
No, I can't explain why my Reaper outfits are more revealing than my anything-else outfits. Nor can I explain my love of dodgy baggy scout pants. I just really like them aesthetically.

I'm curious what other people have ended up with :)

... I'm also interested in seeing weapon use charts. I'm always curious to what degree people stick with a type or switch it up.

This is mine about a week ago:
And now, a couple of missions into what was originally the Burst content.
A bit of bullet editing might have started the shift towards balance, but Devour Style Cornix is definitely already having an impact. Twinned with oracle absorption it only takes one devour to fill a bar, and because I don't want to waste that much OP it's making me switch modes more often than I used to.

Teknoman

Completely forgot Rage Burst was hitting so soon. I'm barely Difficulty 3 in Resurrection. Still havent tackled any online missions.

LAA

My GE2 Vita copy came today :D
Unfortunately, it seems I can't redeem the Resurrection code yet though as it seems the site isn't live or something? www.DLC-God-Eater.com
Hoping it's today or at the latest monday, wanted to play some on my time off.

Saphirax

Unfortunately, it seems I can't redeem the Resurrection code yet though as it seems the site isn't live or something? www.DLC-God-Eater.com

It's going to work on the 30th, so Tuesday.

Edit: Wait, are you trying to redeem the code on that website? It should be via PSN, no?

LAA

It's going to work on the 30th, so Tuesday.

Edit: Wait, are you trying to redeem the code on that website? It should be via PSN, no?

Yeah it seems the code has to be redeemed on that link and then you get the PSN code. There's a paper inside the box explaining that, just the site seems to be down, or blocking anyone from reaching it anyway it seems.
I did just try on PSN just to see, but nope.

Saphirax

Yeah it seems the code has to be redeemed on that link and then you get the PSN code. There's a paper inside the box explaining that, just the site seems to be down, or blocking anyone from reaching it anyway it seems.
I did just try on PSN just to see, but nope.

Ah, in that case the website will probably go up on release day.

Nice, you'll be getting a leg start on all of us aha. Yeah it should be redeemable on Tuesday.

Speaking of Tuesday, since that is when GE2RB will be launching, the OT will be going live on the previous day, Monday the 29th.

Corpekata

Banned
Can't decide between PC and PS4 for Rage Burst. Is there expected to be much of a PC community?

It seems to be selling suprisingly well, been on the top 5 or 6 sellers for the past few days.

That being said PC isn't getting the first game until the 30th so I imagine there might be some people playing that first.

SkyOdin

IYeah it was tough. What voice did you go for in the end?
Female voice number 2, I believe. It gives her an entirely different personality from my original God Eater Burst character I based her on. Less strange, more shy. I kinda miss her old "do you think Aragami are... edible?" comment, but many of the personality quirks of her new voice really grew on me. Listening to these characters is just too fun.

Had a chance to progress with the plot a bit, and dear god, I swear Bestial Twilight never used to be this hard. Who decided the (Aragami)
'Pita' in Dyaus Pita needed to stand for Pain In The Arse
with all the (Battle-stuff)
red and the wings and the superspeed
? :|
It took me a few goes to manage it without exhausting my Endurance. I guess that made it more satisfying that the time I managed it I actually did it pretty damn cleanly, but still, yeesh, still a close call.

Yes, that is 3 minutes left on the clock ¬_¬

And on a completely different note, where did the Rebellion/Striver/Desolation triad come from? I assume they're anime stuff? But when did they sneak into the shop and why did the Shopkeep send me emails telling me he had Restore Pills and Wool but omit the fact he had Devour HP attribute shields?
The weapons and the Aragami change you are complaining about have a common origin: the anime. The weapons have the same appearance as the God Arc Renka Utsugi uses in the anime. Likewise, the
new Dyaus Pita is based on how it appears in the anime as well, murdering everything in its path included. The changes (including classifying it as a Deusphage now) make it much more cool and intimidating, but do make it even more of a pain to fight than before. I kinda wish they did a better job of programming the AI characters so that they knew how to actually dodge and block its triple charge attack, though.
The AI ally characters are so really good at dodging just about everything from the PSP version, but a lot of the attacks used by newer enemies just rip them apart. It is hard to watch, and requires a lot of Link Aiding.

As for the new weapons, it is a neat touch, but it took me some comparison to even be sure that those strange names I saw in the shop menu where indeed unique un-craftable weapons. That confused me for a bit, and you are right that they should have sent an email or something to point out that they existed. The Striver blast gun served me pretty well for most of the game, so I'm glad I grabbed it.

By the way, does anyone have pictures of their God Eaters? I want to see pictures! :D

This is my main outfit at the moment.

Though I have a few others mostly linked to a few specific loadouts.

No, I can't explain why my Reaper outfits are more revealing than my anything-else outfits. Nor can I explain my love of dodgy baggy scout pants. I just really like them aesthetically.

I'm curious what other people have ended up with :)

... I'm also interested in seeing weapon use charts. I'm always curious to what degree people stick with a type or switch it up.

This is mine about a week ago:

And now, a couple of missions into what was originally the Burst content.

A bit of bullet editing might have started the shift towards balance, but Devour Style Cornix is definitely already having an impact. Twinned with oracle absorption it only takes one devour to fill a bar, and because I don't want to waste that much OP it's making me switch modes more often than I used to.
Sadly, I have no good character screenshots on hand at the moment. I might grab some for the GE2 OT, not sure. Went through about as many costumes as I had melee weapons, though, and a few hair color changes to match, so I'd probably need more than just a few screenshots to capture it all.

As for weapon usage, it ended up pretty even across the board for me, with a few dips and spikes. Long swords won out overall, and scythes ended up being used the least (mostly because I only ever used two of them). Buster blades were in last for a while, but caught up later in the game thanks to a nice Claymore I used to fight Hannibals. I used Lances a fair bit, but failed to upgrade them properly so they fell behind towards the end. I always thought I used Short Blades too much, but they ultimately ranked much lower than I thought. As for guns, that pretty much went Assault > Blast > Sniper > Shotgun, but I used all four types quite a bit.

I really liked all the changes to the weapon list. Each weapon type is way more unique now, and the three new polearm weapons are all a lot of fun to use. I seem to have developed an affinity for Boost Hammers in particular.

Anyways, I may as well reflect on the game a bit more in general, since I am now finally done with it and psyching myself up for the sequel. In the last few days I finally completed every story mission, all the way up through the chapter 14 epilogue, which
doesn't really contain much "story" since that ends in chapter 13, but did let me unlock a secret character
. The first two parts of the game are pretty much what I remembered, but the third part actually surprised me with its quality (and its difficulty).

Horrifyingly enough, the
Blitz Hannibal
that I complained about in one of my previous posts wasn't even the worst of it. The actual true final boss was much worse. That enemy, the {spoiler]Arius Nova, is pretty much the new Dyaus Pita that has been upgraded several more steps, and is faster, stronger, and more deadly in every way.[/spoiler] It took me a few tries and pretty much everything I had in order to win against that one, but having my strategy come together like that was exhilarating. If anyone needs advice for that, I suggest
focusing on standing on the ridge in the center and using your best ranged attacks, only getting close to recover OP and supply Link Aid. Make sure to bring all of your healing items, even those annoyingly rare Elixir Pill S items.

I guess I'll just throw out some other random thoughts...

Best Argami rankings, determined as the ones that have the best designs, drop the best gear, and are the most fun to fight:

1: Caligula
2: Susano-o
3: Ouroboros
4: Vajra
5: Sariel
6: Yaksha Raja
7: Fallen Borg Camlainn (charged ver.)
8:
Arda Nova
9: Quadriga
10: Hannibal

Favorite weapons from my playthrough (names may be somewhat inaccurate)

1: Ice Crocjaw (Ice hammer that makes my gun way better. Carried me from early on and even through the hard final battle.)
2: Type Zero Cannon (sometimes you just need to explode things)
3: Othello/Macbeth/Hamlet/King Lear (the wonderful butterfly shield that negates status ailments)
4: Swift Step (wonderful well-rounded assault weapon, killed final boss)
5: Deus Blade "Takiri" (just a nice sword with a great visual design)
6: Sargas (a shield that gives me Burst Duration and Mutual Burst? yes please!)
7: Gastraphetes/Arbalest (very unique gun that makes you really feel like a pure sniper)
8: Icefire Blade (deals ice, fire, sunder, and crush damage all at once. useful for all those annoying groups)
9: The original Dyaus Pita sword (hard to get in this version, but well worth it. It's as beautiful as ever)
10: Yang Buckler (Auto Defense bucklers are so nice, and I gave mine some nice recovery skills)

Favorite skills and/or Control Units:

1: Item Effect and (Burst) Item Effect
2: Health/Oracle/Stamina
3: Mutual Burst
4: Trigger Happy
5: Burst Duration/Burst Saver
6: OP Recovery (control unit)
7: Quick Charge
8: Hidden Attack
9: Frugal
10: Stamina Recovery

I think that about covers it... Well, talking about this game has been fun, so I'm looking forward to talking about God Eater 2 in just a few days.

Ephidel

Okay, WTF God Eater Resurrection.

Who on earth green-lit the Tsubaki interlude
shower scene
?

I'd had a lesser 'what?' moment at the other interlude where you're having a completely normal conversation but then the narration comments on her
smelling like soap
MSjFgv3.jpg
(To clarify, this is the screenshot of the weird narration)

Then they give you this... thing? Your character isn't even there so it's purely for the player, which just makes it freaking exploitative for no reason, and it actually legitimately pisses me off.
I think, stupidly, it bothers me even more because she doesn't even have the
soap
mentioned in the previous weirdo scene... although I guess she asks our character to
go and get it
¬_¬.

I even went to look at the ERSB rating page. Turns out even that only mentions the
partial nudity, topless monsters without nipples and Shio's breast grabbing
, there are no mentions of
being a creepy voyeur to Tsubaki showering in the nude with only text boxes to cover her
. Go figure.

I'm now officially not using her as a support member when I'm playing in a room with anyone else because I have no idea how common that one is or how likely it is to replay.
It's silly really, because I play and enjoy games loaded with dodgy fanservice quite happily, but here it just makes me feel awkward. I guess it's because I just didn't expect it here? I don't know :(

... I hadn't intended for this to be my next post. I'd intended to chat like a normal person and post screenshots of Gina
drawing my character naked even though she was modelling with clothes on
. That I found funny.

... I'll post a proper post later.

Hey, this is the only MonHun-type game to be on PC in the west, right? (There is MH Frontier and MH Online, which are not in the west - And there are Monster Hunter games in the west, which are not on PC. And PSO+Universe had their servers shut down ages ago, with the only thing left being private servers with poor data retention.)

If so, damn will this be something to watch on SteamSpy - I mean, since this is a game with absolutely no competition at all whatsoever on Steam, it'll be a damn good way to see how large the audience as a whole for this genre is on Steam.

Saphirax

Hey, this is the only MonHun-type game to be on PC in the west, right? (There is MH Frontier and MH Online, which are not in the west - And there are Monster Hunter games in the west, which are not on PC. And PSO+Universe had their servers shut down ages ago.)

If so, damn will this be something to watch on SteamSpy - I mean, since this is a game with absolutely no competition at all whatsoever on Steam, it'll be a damn good way to see how large the audience as a whole for this genre is on Steam.

Toukiden.

Which didn't do too well on Steam.

This site is live now.

Redeeming the code I got with GE2RB Vita got me both the Vita and PS4 versions of Resurrection. Is it meant to do that? Cause I haven't seen any mention of cross-buy or whatever anywhere.

preta

This site is live now.

Redeeming the code I got with GE2RB Vita got me both the Vita and PS4 versions of Resurrection. Is it meant to do that? Cause I haven't seen any mention of cross-buy or whatever anywhere.

No, it's not supposed to do that...

edit: I guess it is if you're in EU?

This site is live now.

EU copy?

The digital pre-order for the game on PSN gives you both versions of Resurrection so people were speculating that the code would as well.

Awesome

LAA

This site is live now.

Yup just checked and was about to post here. And yes I believe it was meant to do that. Looking at the digital page it entitles you to cross buy for resurrection and I think a twitter page confirmed it too. Shame it didn't apply for GE2 RB either, getting both on Vita now anyway. GE1 is 3GB+ though... :eek:. Even with 64GB Vita card Im low on space ha ha.

Anyone can explain the extra scenes at the end of a mission to me? Like sometimes I am choosing a character and I get some extra scene.

What does that mean?

Ascheroth

Anyone can explain the extra scenes at the end of a mission to me? Like sometimes I am choosing a character and I get some extra scene.

What does that mean?

As far as I know, they happen if you select a support skill with three bars or a star at the right corner, if it's a non-story mission. Don't know if they have some deeper purpose besides giving some screentime to the selected character.

Ephidel

What does that mean?
It's just world/character building. It gives you a chance to see what characters do in their "off" time and learn more about them :)
Each character has a few different activities, and sometimes the same activity has different text (as an example, several of Gina's interludes use the same scene of the two of you
listening to music
but the types of
music
you talk about are different).

I think they're a ton of fun.

Using Gina as an example again, the other day I got this one that I'd never seen before and it made me laugh :)

krmrPQH.jpg
thw6Fsu.jpg
zOWXp7d.jpg
ADZN0iw.jpg

I particularly like the smirk in the (...) image :p

yes I can finally play this, is this one with Utsugi Lenka outfit?
He's the anime protag? You can build him in the character creator (a bunch of the male side options are just named "Lenka" so it should be relatively easy).
And his weapons are buyable from the shop.
I assume maybe the outfit can be found there too if your character is male. As a female character I only had access to a giant mascot frog thing.
(Or wait, is the male default outfit one of his costumes anyway? I googled him and it looks like maybe it is?)

Figments

So uh.

Where the fuck do I buy cotton.

Why does it seem like this should be obvious yet I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Ugh.

SkyOdin

So uh.

Where the fuck do I buy cotton.

Why does it seem like this should be obvious yet I can't seem to see it anywhere.

Ugh.
I have bad news for you...

Do you remember those sparkly things out in the fields during missions? Yeah...

The good news is that you can convert bronze F-tickets into cotton. You can check the database to see which fields have what items, if you are planning a dedicated search.

The best choice long-term is to just grab every sparkle you see during missions.

Figments

I have bad news for you...

Do you remember those sparkly things out in the fields during missions? Yeah...

The good news is that you can convert bronze F-tickets into cotton. You can check the database to see which fields have what items, if you are planning a dedicated search.

The best choice long-term is to just grab every sparkle you see during missions.

The wikia page has lied to me.

Yet again.

Oh well, time to smash my head against a wall until the green sparkly gods decide to reward me with what I need.

SkyOdin

The wikia page has lied to me.

Yet again.

Oh well, time to smash my head against a wall until the green sparkly gods decide to reward me with what I need.

Well, cotton does become purchasable from the shop, but only later in the game. If you can resist the allure of fashion for a few difficulty tiers of the game, it should become available.

How is this game, story wise? Simple and uninteresting? Or engaging?

Also is the gameplay good? And I mean Soul Sacrifice good? :p

Ascheroth

Is it normal that the game is so...easy?
How far are you?
The small-sized Aragami in the beginning are really easy. While I don't think it has gotten really difficult so far (I'm at Difficulty 4), it definitely does get more challenging and intense, especially with a few medium-sized or even large-sized Aragami at once.
It's also definitely easier in co-op, I've been playing most of it that way and even 1 additional human player makes quite a difference.

If you want some additional difficulty you could take Kanon with you.
She has a tendency for friendly fire :p

Not Drake

Got my copy and I redeemed the code. Didn't follow the news before so I didn't expect it would entitle me to download Resurrection on both PS4 and Vita. That's suprisingly user-friendly.

Ok, bought GE2 as a self birthday party (it's tomorrow).

Never played GE so I downloaded Ressurrection and been playing on my VITA.

One doubt: Is double jump limited to X uses per mission?

Cob32

I think you can only double jump when you have at least lvl1 burst.

Ascheroth

Don't think so. You can double jump all the time as long as you're in Burst mode (you'll activate and extend it by using your Devour-abilities)

Darvan

I have a question so when you get abandoned God Arc's it show's 3 of them does it mean that you get all 3 or do you have to select one from the list?

Top Bottom